2003 Ford Expedition

Based on 613 Ratings for the 2003 - 2006 models.

Most reliable car I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "roomy for even third row passengers!"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I've owned my expedition for 10 years, have 140,000+ miles and since we do all the recommended maintenance, this is the most reliable car we've every owned. I had planned on driving "old blue" a few more years, but was unfortunately hit by an inattentive driver. My expedition was totaled. For comfort and safety, you can't go wrong with the expedition. Yes, we pay a lot for gas,but walking away from a head on (highway) collision was priceless!!"

couldn't complain...

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "Perfect for everything! Just the right size!"

Cons: "doors rattle, intake cracks, drive train whines"

"it has it quirks I bought it used and now it's old. I like this so much better than the GMC Yukon XL I had. This uses less gas, easier to park, can make a uturn and just seems more user friendly. I have this all over the place and on the freeways everyday and can be several 100's of miles apart in one day. I do like the power and the speed of it for an SUV this size. Also the power folding 3rd row seats have come in very handy with the kids. I would have to say I'll drive this thing until the wheels fall off or until I trade it in for a newer Expedition. Next one I might just want a sunroof on it. All of the perks with it I can over look how the doors rattle, the wings in the rear get tempermental, and the rear hatch glass leaks when it rains real hard during monsoon season. Just and FYI if you consider buying one check the intake manifold out. they are prone to cracking on the right side where the thermostate goes and it's around $1,0000 to fix this issue!"

Best vehicle we have ever owned

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cons: "Gas mileage now days"

"Traded our 98 Expy for this one (4x4) and have driven the wheels off of it, Never left us stranded, never a problem. Ran synthetc oils since its first change, made countless trips to and from the mountains in NC in all conditions. Reliable, comfortable and not to bad on gas considering its size. Sadly we need to downsize, Going to hate to see this one go. Still runs like new and still tight as day one. Brakes, tires, filters and a few window switches and thats it. Can't beat a Ford"

Love It

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition - Blue w/ Gold trim. The GOOD - I absolutely LOVE driving this truck. I feel like I am driving down the highway in my recliner - yes, it's that smooth. Great visibility as well. I can't say enough about how smooth the ride is, and it just devours snow. The turning radius is the sharpest of any car I have owned - Civic, Sebring. Beautiful styling, as well. Now the BAD - the only bad: I bought my Expedition about a year ago when gas was under $3.00/gallon. I paid around $20k for it and today the same dealer I bought it from would give me $8,500 on a trade. Go figure - poor timing. But aside from the depriciation it has incurred, I would not trade it for anything. I am actually okay with the fuel economy. I get 15.5 miles per gallon in a mix of city and highway driving. Considering a much smaller Pilot or Pathfinder gets only around 18-20 MPG the luxury and comfort far outweigh the couple of MPG's I'd save in something smaller. In summary, I highly recommend an Expedition."

Wouldn't own anything else.

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Safe and easy to drive."

Cons: "None second one I owned."

"This is my second Expedition. My first was a 97 Eddie Bauer and now my son owns it. It has 194,000 miles on it and runs great. Proper care and maintance is key to any vehicle. I bought the newer one so my kids could drive the other. Felt safer with school traffic. The 05 has been doing as amazing. A few more perks on it. It rides smoother than the 97. More luxury than the 97. Less truck like. It is classy and useful. I pull our travel trailer with ease and load it up with baskets for my business. Great vehicle. Worth the gas for the safety."

Solid performer for 9 years

By on Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pros: "great value, hauling or towing stuff, easy driving"

Cons: "finicky power door locks"

"Bought this vehicle new with 600 miles on her. Never been garaged. We lived in Virgina orignally, then moved to North Dokota for a couple of years, California and now Alabama. In every location I could count on this truck to start and go where I needed (even in minus 30F and unplowed roads). We have crossed the country east-west and north to south. Kept up with required maintenance and never a problem. Great American built truck!"

Superb for Rad trips

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"I bought a 2003 Eddie Bauer (loaded) used from a Mercedes dealer in Houston in Sept of 2006 with 36K miles on it. It really stands out over most Expys because it has every item Ford offers except 4WD and Navigation. It even came with the Rosewood trim installed and was a cream puff (still is really). However, I drive a lot and now with 63,000 miles in Jan 2008, two major expenses have ocurred; rear air conditioner went out ($600 repair) and the gas gauge stopped working in November (another $600 repair). Several little indicator lights on the door arm rest and overhead console are intermittant, small details but frustrating none the less. As far as performance, styling, comfort, and overall enjoyment I give it 5 stars. Long road trips with teen agers watching the DVD are just outstanding. Handling is fine, parking is a little challenging, but it is a fine, safe SUV and very affordable if purchased used. Overall I am glad I own it, and will upgrade to a newer, lower milage Expedition before long. I do believe it is over priced when new! And speaking of mileage, don't buy one expecting more than about 17 hwy and 14 city. Sure I can nurse it along and get 19 by driving 60-65 and never accelarating hard, but it just doesn't work that way in reality."

Well worth the wait....

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "Comfort - Towing - Seating (3rd row) - Style -"

Cons: "Storage in back - power 3rd row"

"I spent 6 months looking for a new vehicle for my family. It was time to sell our trusted mini-van and move up into a SUV. We knew we wanted something used, that had the capacity of holding all 5 of us, plus pets. We looked at every option under the sun. I was about to give up when I stumbled upon the Expedetion King Ranch. Right away I fell in love with the styling, but was a little nervous as I have never owned a Ford before. About a week later, I went back and purchased it. Best decision I ever made. My wife was initially not happy with the size, but now says she couldnt imagine driving anything else. Buying used, we obviously had some cosmetic issues, but mechanically it is strong. Have had the truck now for over 6 months,and beside normal maintenance, the only items that we have had done are a brake control (to pull our camper) and a new battery. Comfort is OUT OF THIS WORLD! The King Ranch seats are super soft and comfy - plus the added heat or AC seats come in handy. Couple items that we have issues with: 1)Storage in back - have to put at least one of the back seats down if we are going on a long trip to store items. 2)Power 3rd row. Really dont see the need for this. Would be quicker if we could manually put them down. All in all, we are very happy with our purchase."

Really Great Vehicle...Our Third Expedition

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "Nice overall unit"

Cons: "Front end feel less than "tight" after 35K, or so"

"The only thing I don't like is the front end...Although I don't notice it on the road, once they have a few thousand miles on them (>35K), they all feel loose on gravel surfaces (we live on a gravel road...I have lots of experience with this one). Tracks beautifully on the highway and produces 22 MPG on the interstates. We're looking for our number four Expedition. The price on this vehicle is high and the dealers tend to stock very high end examples (leather, navigation, etc.). Please dealers...think family and utility use...not rich folks who need to "have it all". Buy one and you'll like it..plus my measly 100 shares of Ford stock will go up (bought the stock because I love the cars)."

GREAT SUV, BEEN RELIABLE, TOUGH AND LOW MAINTENENC

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "AWESOME ALL AROUND VEHICLE, #1 CRASH SAFETY TESTED"

Cons: "I DRIVE IT HARD, FRONT TIRES"

"7 QUART FULL SYNTHETIC OIL EVERY 7-8000 MILES, FIRST BRAKE JOB AT 158,000 MILES. I OFTEN TOW A 28 FOOT BOAT, SKIDSTEER ON TRAILER, 22 FOOT ENCLOSED TRAILER, ITS A WORKHORSE, 29 FOOT TRAVEL TRAILER. TOUGH TRUCK, SUV, I GET 14.7 MPG IN THE SUMMER ABOUT 13.5 IN THE COLD WINTERS HERE. DRIVES LIKE A TANK THROUGH 15 INCHES OF SNOW, STAYS A STRAIGHT LINE ON ICY ROADS, CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT IT. I GUESS WHEN YOU BUY AN SUV FROM AN AMERICAN COMPANY THAT DOESNT TAKE BAILOUTS AND IS IN THE BLACK, YOU HAVE A VEHICLE BACKED BY COMMON SENSE TOO."

The 03 Expedition is Awesome, I will never sell it

By on Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Despite what many people say about Fords, this vehicle has been very reliable. I have 120,000 miles on mine and all I've done it change fluids and filters. I plan on keep this for a long time, the engine in them will easily last 250,000 - 300,000 miles. For a big truck is handle and rides very nice whether on or off the road. 2003 is the last year they had a 3 seats in front with no center console(there is a pull out cup holder and ash try). Haveing no built in center console adds a lot of leg room and the middle seat back folds down as an arm rest. If you are worried about gas mileage, all you have to do is be light on the gas pedal. These only take a lot of gas when they are floored."

love my car! for all it can do!

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Best bench seating & 3rd row legroom comfort"

Cons: "seat belts had to be replaced with use"

"I love my car. I do not want to go look at another car. It has such a comfort for carrying all the people we ever have who visit us, who we travel to-and-with, and for fitting our now 72 pd dog. I sat in 11 cars that sat 7-8 passengers when I was 8 months pregnant and this car was THE one with the best 3rd row leg room, seat room and over all best build out interior. I am practical, but wanted comfort--its 3rd row automatic fold-up/down rocks. I'll be a fan of this car for a long, long time!! Go Ford :)"

Great 4x4 and it eats gas like crazy

By on Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pros: "great easy to drive, 4x4 is good to and towing"

Cons: "a real pig for gas"

"Great to tow with and just drive, really like it when we have ice on the roads, all wheel drive really works great on ice and snow. Hate the tire sensors when its cold always light comes on till it warms up. Rear AC blend dorr is acting up but we don't use the rear air any way. Only has 65,ooo miles on it so we will keep it till we die as it is a second vehicle. Purchased it with 21,000 miles on it in 2008 with all options eddie bauer All wheel drive for $12,000 Cash, great deal as dealer was going out of business so it was worth $20K. Just remember it really sucks gas like 13 mpg when towing and maybe 17 when driving highway, 14 city?. My 17 year old likes it so when he gets his license next year he can drive it to. Sure hope he respects it so it will last."

Great utility for a family, but expensive to own

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Very practical for a family"

Cons: "lots of repair costs"

"Mine is a 2006 Limited and we've owned it 3 years. Good stuff first: Great room and comfort for my family with two young kids. The 2nd row bucket seats recline enough for the booster and child seats to sleep safely and comfortably...except for a little head bouncing on rough roads due to the truck frame. The electric split 3rd row is convenient to use for storage of large items like wagons, strollers, etc. It handles like a car and you feel safe like driving a truck. Versatile cup holders and storage abound. Roof mounted DVD is great for trips w/kids. Bad stuff: We bought it used on craigslist with 80k miles at 2k below blue book in 2009. Since then we have put almost 50k miles on it, but spent over $4k in repairs and maintenance (Tires, 120k replacements). Despite routine maintenance, we have had to replace/repair the following items since owning it: Spark plugs (dealer broke off 7/8 tips so cost is higher on 3-valve engine) Fuel pump computer and pump Front axle seals Flywheel, starter, and related transmission seal CV joint seals Master switch for electric windows Valve spring in engine It's also rusting near the handle on the tailgate and paint is coming of alloy wheels Power rear-view windows stopped working We have taken care of all these issue and still enjoy it."

So reliable and comfortable! Own two of them!

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "pretty good gas mileage for suv, reliable, comfort"

"I own two expeditions, love them, I always feel like my family is safe and both have been very reliable! Both I purchased after they had 100k miles on them and they just keep running! I use one to haul a camper, and it pulls it flawlessly. We also own an Excursion, the Expedition is far smoother and runs nicer than the Excursion. The Excursion drives more rigid, like a truck. The expedition has better turn radius and drives more like a car. Thank you Ford!"

Very comfortable

By on Thursday, October 06, 2011

"Its a great vehicle. It will take you anywhere. The problem is the greedy oil companies and the high price of gas. Gas consumption is the only bad thing."

Best Car I have ever had.

By on Thursday, August 06, 2015

Pros: "RELIABLE Work Horse!"

"This has been my company car for 6 years. I have over 340,000 miles on this vehicle. Just regular maintenance. Comfortable. Spacious. Roomy. Had a Suburban, and would take the Ford every day. No comparison. Much less maintenence. More headroom, but a little less luggage room. Get the 4.6 V8 16-17 mpg 340,000 miles and still truckin!"

I couldn"t ask anymore from a vehicle!

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Plenty of room"

Cons: "rear air"

"Me and my wife really enjoyed this vehicle on long vacations, and everday use. Its just a great SUV!"

This is a great car. It has the nicest ride!

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "Great ride, comfort galore."

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I loved this car. It had the nicest ride. My only downside was the gas mileage and for a bigger car, it was not bad: average 17mpg. The third row seats were a great asset. It was a comfortable car."

Love This SUV

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I bought my 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch new and this is the BEST SUV I ever drove. I love the style, the ride is very smooth for a Large SUV and the options are more than I need but I could not pass the Expedition up. The only down fall is the gas mileage but, I can look past that. When the time does come to upgrade, I would definately purchase another one...."

My second Expedition. Excellent vehicle.

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

Pros: "Dependability, quality, solid"

Cons: "Fuel consumption is a bit high but it is an SUV."

"My Expedition has been highly dependable, so much so I am trading this one for my third Expedition. In 6 years I have had one maintenance issue. It was the cable from the battery to the starter and I had it fixed for $95."

Absolute Bear!

By on Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pros: "tank"

Cons: "12.7 gal per mile (same as v6 explorer)"

"As a contractor and father, this suv does it all. Whole sheets of drywall (4x8) in the back or tow a trailer. or on weekends load it with two adults and 6 kids with bags in the trunk for everyone and travel. all i can say is its the best car i owned (mostly foreign vehicles) and ill keep buying the expedition. If i had to pick something i dont like its that if i park next to an Explorer of the same year it looks like My suv gave birth to it"

WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN FUEL = COMFORT SAFETY!

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "SAFE, STABLE, COMFORT, SMOOTH, DEPENDABLE"

Cons: ""FUEL COST""

"HAVE OWNED THIS FORD NEW SINCE 05' CURRENTLY 40K MILES. WHAT WE PAY FOR IN FUEL IS NO MATCH FOR WHAT WE RECEIVE IN SAFETY, COMFORT, HAULING 9 FAMILY MEMBERS AND IT KEEPS ALL MY STUFF DRY AND SAFE NOT LIKE A TRUCK WITH AN OPEN CARGO BED. THIS VEHICLE WORKS PERFECT WITH A GROWING FAMILY TOTAL OF 5 2 GRANDPARENTS. HAD SECOND THOUGHTS WHEN GAS WENT UP. BUT WHEN YOU SEE A TWISTED CAR IN AN ACCIDENT YOU FEEL PROUD YOU DRIVE A SOLID FORD "EXPEDITION""

Most Reliable Car I ever had.

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Great Family Car for long trips. Reliable. Safe."

Cons: "Gas Mileage (12-15mpg)"

"Bought new in 2005 for family. Did not want a Van. Most practical family car ever made. electric 3rd row seat best thing ever made. Never had any problems with engine. Only problem I had was with the alignment. Kept eating up my tires. Great Family car on long trips. Took many long trips with family and had many memories. I have 126,000 miles and still going strong. I'll keep it till it stops running."

LOVE IT!!!

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

"Owned a '97 Expedition first and loved it, never considered buying anything but a newer one, and love my '04 as well. And when the time comes, I will buy a newer one again."