2002 Ford Expedition

Based on 780 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

My Family Truckster

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Comfortable for trips and day to day"

Cons: "Tendency to wear dwn frnt tires if you dont rotate"

Our Family Truckster

"We have owned ours for 7 years and put 120,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 on it now. We have NEVER had a problem. NEVER left us stranded. Easy to maintain. My family has grown from 2 of us to 5 of us. We take cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, and never seem to run out of room. I am a firefighter and seen several of these in head on collisions and rollovers. It has done a terrific job in the safety category for the occupants in those collisions. The seats are comfortable for the long trips and it is NOT so big that you can't park it. Room for the kids to spread out. Even though it has 4.6L V8, it has never lacked the get up and go power I have needed. My only complaint is that the suspensions design is rough on front tires and you have to rotate your tires if you want to get a decent tread life out of your tires. A great choice. Now that they are getting old enough that they aren't very expensive, any 1997-2002 Expedition would be a good choice for a family looking for safety and comfort without spending $40,000 for a new SUV."

Our Family Truckster

Great SUV !!!

By on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"I bought my 2000 Expedition XLT off ebay sight unseen in 2005 with 64K miles. Scary deal that worked out great ! what a great truck, the wife and kids love it for long trips , no one feels cramped , rides great , it just turned 100K and still runs and drives like new. paint looks good but I have the common problem with the bottom edge of the doors rusting. I treated the rust but it will need to be repaired. I was considering selling it for a newer one but after reading all the great reviews about 180K plus on the 5.4 I see no reason to sell it. even if I have to spend a grand here and there I still save big time in the long run. I really have no complaints with this truck!"

Very reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, April 06, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive. Drives alot smaller."

Cons: "Hard to find suitable parking spots sometimes."

"Have owned car for 11 years. Don't need this big of a vehicle any longer. Gets decent gas mileage on freeway,65-70 mph,about 18-20 mpg. That is pretty good considering how big,and heavy the expedition is."

AWESOME TRUCK

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "EVERYTHING BUT THE GAS MILAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cons: "gas milage"

"I LOVE my truck, except for the bad gas milage it is awesome. I bought it new in 1997. Up until it hit around 520,000 miles, I had no problems. I drive fast, rough, and use it to go mudding all the time, and everything in/on it is still factory. I beat this truck, and always have. I don't wash it too often, so the paint is faded and it has a little rust on the roof, but the paint problem is probably being that it has never seen a coat of wax. I hit 512,000 or so, and had a bad cylinder. other than that, I have not had a single problem. I only put oil in it when it hits 15,000 and don't put gas in it til' the fuel light starts flashing. I have some friends out in the sticks, and I go mudding everytime it rains hard enough. I have driven it to and from Jersey several times, and have never had a problem with the cold, heat, or any other water (except for the time I went on vacation and accidentally left the windows open in the rain for a month). But all in all it is the best truck I have ever had, and trust me, I have had a lot."

A Strong Truck!

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"We bought our '99 5.4L XLT Expedition new in 1999. We've put 152,000 miles on her since then. Trips have included many, many long distance popup trailer tows, some offroad excursions, and emergency blizzard travel. She has never let us down. She has gone through several major hail storms with zero damage. She effortlessly tows our 3200 lb. popup trailer up and down major mountain passes. She emerged from a rear ender with a barely noticeable 1/2 inch scratch on her rear bumper--no dent! The other car had major bumper damage. The only major issue was a warped right head at 65k which was covered under extended warranty. A few minor things have cropped up in her life: a leaking front transmission seal at 145K ($175); anti-sway bar bushings at 130k ($250); jammed CD Cassette at 120k (not repaired). We give her full synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles. Overall, the truck has been much more reliable than our previous Volvo and Dodge Grand Caravan. The only drawbacks: poor gas mileage (14MPG city) and difficult to park in tight spots in urban areas."

Great for trips, not good for commuting

By on Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Well I've had my Expedition for three years now. I have never had any mojor problems and would recomend this vehicle to anyone who can afford the gas. It is LARGE, COMFORTABLE, and you can pack all your friends or family in this thing because it sits 8 people. It can turn a boring weekend into an event when you get this bad boy rolling on freeway. It has lasted uncountable camping, fishing trips and trips to the bay area. It never had any engine problems. The only stuff I did was regular maintenance (Breaks, Plugs, Oil) So if you can afford the 10-15 mph on this bad boy i recomend it to anyone."

I will buy another one THE BEST

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"For a growing family of three boys, this vehicle has been excellent. I will buy another Ford Expedition in an heart beat! There has been plenty of room for my sons and their friends plus sports equipment; also great for family trips. With regular vehicle maintenance, I still get 18 miles per gallon mostly highway miles since I live in the country and my vehicle still dosen't use oil even with mileage close to 200,000. My SUV still rides smoothly and quietly. The BEST BUY I ever made!!"

drives like a dream

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Room and comfort"

Cons: "mpg is 16,not bad for big suv but w/gas price,tuff"

"Best driving vehicle i have driven, and i have drove a Lot, one of my favorite used cars i have bought. It's like sitting in your recliner holding a steering wheel, bout effortless to drive. my wife even says it's more comfortable than her '12 pathfinder..."

This Expedition is the best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "Great Great Great Great!!!!!"

Cons: "Coils need to be replaced too often."

"I use the Expedition everyday and average 250 miles per day. There isn't a place I wouldn't take my Expedition. Its in great shape and most of its original parts. It doesn't look like it should have the mileage that it has, its held up that great. If more cars were made like this, we would all have more money in our pockets. The Expedition has a 5.4L engine with 2 wheel drive and I average over 20 mpg.. The new ones average price is over 50K and everytime I take a test drive I realize I don't see or feel any difference."

Ol Faithful!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Powerful engine, comfortable ride, reliable"

Cons: "Bad fuel economy, blown spark plugs, thats it!"

"Ten years ago, my dad bought our 1999 Ford Expedition with 40,000 miles on it. For eight years he used it to commute through a steep mountain pass to get to work through every condition imaginable. In 2010 I started driving it and it now has 205,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. People find it hard to believe we've never even given it a tune up! The only problem I've had with it was a blown spark plug (which apparently is pretty typical on the Triton V8 engines) and my dad broke a valve spring once. Other than that it has been a perfect and reliable vehicle. The 5.4 L V8 engine puts out amazing amounts of power while being in a smooth comfortable ride. In the snow this car drives better than anything else I've driven. It's a great SUV and I would definatly suggest this vehicle to someone looking for an SUV."