2002 Ford Expedition

Based on 774 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

Solid, Dependable, Strong

By on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"This is my fourth Expedition. I have driven all four vehicles over one million miles collectively. The main draw back is the brakes. They seem to by "under engineered", meaining I have replaced more pads and rotors than I care to count. Otherwise these vehicles are good value, strong running and good looking."

My Family Truckster

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Comfortable for trips and day to day"

Cons: "Tendency to wear dwn frnt tires if you dont rotate"

Our Family Truckster

"We have owned ours for 7 years and put 120,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 on it now. We have NEVER had a problem. NEVER left us stranded. Easy to maintain. My family has grown from 2 of us to 5 of us. We take cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, and never seem to run out of room. I am a firefighter and seen several of these in head on collisions and rollovers. It has done a terrific job in the safety category for the occupants in those collisions. The seats are comfortable for the long trips and it is NOT so big that you can't park it. Room for the kids to spread out. Even though it has 4.6L V8, it has never lacked the get up and go power I have needed. My only complaint is that the suspensions design is rough on front tires and you have to rotate your tires if you want to get a decent tread life out of your tires. A great choice. Now that they are getting old enough that they aren't very expensive, any 1997-2002 Expedition would be a good choice for a family looking for safety and comfort without spending $40,000 for a new SUV."

Our Family Truckster

Love my Expedition

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Spacious, feels safe"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage."

"I have had my Expedition for 11 years and LOVE it still. I now have two boys and the vehicle allows me to take them and all of their friends/gear wherever they need to go. Comfortably seats 8 with room to store things. I also used it to commute to work for many years. Great in bad weather with 4WD. Only problem is the gas mileage. While commuting it was 14 mpg, but around town gets only 11. Other than that I would definitely buy this car again!"

11 Years and still chugging

By on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Size, Towing, Roomy"

Cons: "GAS !!!!"

"Bought my Eddie Bauer Expy 7 years ago used with 90k on it. Now with 213k on it I can honestly say I love this thing. Have replaced 3 things in all the years, 2 alternators and 1 rear air suspension bag. Non were tough to do and reasonable. With the towing package I have towed everything from cars, boats, campers, trailers and even 11,000 lb food trailer, yes I knew that one was on there but it pulled and stopped fine. I would love to keep it with one exception, the gas, I average around 13 and thats a stinger when you fill up at $120 weekly. For a large family though they are awsome, I know people that have suburbans and tahoes that have replaced much more then me, gotta love a Ford."

The best car I've ever owned--no problems at all

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "dependability, roominess, comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage ok but not great"

"I bought my Expedition new in 2001, so it is now 11 years old and has 175,000 miles. It has had no problems whatsoever. We've done routine maintenance throughout the years. This spring we bought a new battery, re-did the brakes, and charged the A/C (for the first time). It has hauled lots of stuff and lots of people over the years. We drove home from St. Louis to North Carolina in one day and didn't even feel tired from the drive. The Expedition is so big and roomy that long trips are possible and comfortable. Gas mileage has ranged from 15-17 mpg, depending on conditions. When the Expedition is cleaned up, it is still a sharp looking vehicle. We plan to drive it another 175,000 miles. Judging from some of the reviews here, I think we'll be able to do just that!"