2000 Ford Expedition

Based on 789 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

My Family Truckster

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Comfortable for trips and day to day"

Cons: "Tendency to wear dwn frnt tires if you dont rotate"

Our Family Truckster

"We have owned ours for 7 years and put 120,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 on it now. We have NEVER had a problem. NEVER left us stranded. Easy to maintain. My family has grown from 2 of us to 5 of us. We take cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, and never seem to run out of room. I am a firefighter and seen several of these in head on collisions and rollovers. It has done a terrific job in the safety category for the occupants in those collisions. The seats are comfortable for the long trips and it is NOT so big that you can't park it. Room for the kids to spread out. Even though it has 4.6L V8, it has never lacked the get up and go power I have needed. My only complaint is that the suspensions design is rough on front tires and you have to rotate your tires if you want to get a decent tread life out of your tires. A great choice. Now that they are getting old enough that they aren't very expensive, any 1997-2002 Expedition would be a good choice for a family looking for safety and comfort without spending $40,000 for a new SUV."

Our Family Truckster

This Expedition is the best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "Great Great Great Great!!!!!"

Cons: "Coils need to be replaced too often."

"I use the Expedition everyday and average 250 miles per day. There isn't a place I wouldn't take my Expedition. Its in great shape and most of its original parts. It doesn't look like it should have the mileage that it has, its held up that great. If more cars were made like this, we would all have more money in our pockets. The Expedition has a 5.4L engine with 2 wheel drive and I average over 20 mpg.. The new ones average price is over 50K and everytime I take a test drive I realize I don't see or feel any difference."

Very reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, April 6, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive. Drives alot smaller."

Cons: "Hard to find suitable parking spots sometimes."

"Have owned car for 11 years. Don't need this big of a vehicle any longer. Gets decent gas mileage on freeway,65-70 mph,about 18-20 mpg. That is pretty good considering how big,and heavy the expedition is."

drives like a dream

By on Friday, March 8, 2013

Pros: "Room and comfort"

Cons: "mpg is 16,not bad for big suv but w/gas price,tuff"

"Best driving vehicle i have driven, and i have drove a Lot, one of my favorite used cars i have bought. It's like sitting in your recliner holding a steering wheel, bout effortless to drive. my wife even says it's more comfortable than her '12 pathfinder..."

Great driver

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "very reliable, doesnt get stuck, great truck"

Cons: "could use better gas milege, a bit big"

great truck.

"this truck is very reliable and nothing has gone wrong with it, i love this true. its great for winter, ive never gotten stuck or slid around. its a very stable truck. i will be running this truck until it doesnt work any longer. the heated seats are very convienent. and it has no problem being a work horse."

great truck.

Best Ride Yet!

By on Friday, March 5, 2010

"I have owned this 99 Expedition 2wd Eddie Bauer Edition for 3 years. When I got it it had 110,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 on it and is still going strong. Only problem I have ever had with it was due to the cad. converter and brakes. Before getting this vehicle I searched and searched for a good spacious dependable vehicle and after seeing this one I decided to get it. What a wise choice!! The gas mileage is only about 15 mpg, but hey the comfort makes up for that tri fold. The value of this SUV went down the tubes after everyone started "going green" but I don't expect to sell my expedition any time soon so that does not matter to me either. I LOVE MY EXPEDITION!!! In my opinion, you can't go wrong when buying one. My next vehicle (after my current Expedition dies) will be another Expedition."

expedition review

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"We are still the first owner's on this vehicle. It has been through numberous road trips. We have drove it from Iowa to Florida and back with no problems with four kids. It has enough room that they all can have their own space. I love the fold down cup holder in the second seat row. It is great for kids that are in a car seats. They can actually reach the cup holders. I do not like how the third seat was design on this model. It is very heavy and bulky to take out if you need to remove it. I wish that the third seat would have fold down like the second row does. Also if you put in two car seats in the third row, the car seat on the passenger side will lean towards the window since their is a gap between the seat and the window."

2000 expedition

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"A workhorse, pulls heavy loads with ease. 11-14 mpg with 4wd and tow package. Cabin space is huge and confortable. Ride is pleasant and quiet."

I couldn't ask for more!

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"After 240,000 miles, all I've done is tires, shocks, ball joints, an alternator, two sets of plugs and regular oil changes. Whether around town, towing, highway miles, hauling heavy loads...it's been, by far, the best vehicle I've ever owned."

Incredible vehicle!

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Perfect vehicle."

Cons: "Gas, but worth every gallon!"

"I will never own another vehicle! My 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition is the one. 170,000 and ZERO problems. No matter what happens to her in the future, she will be repaired, rebuilt whatever it takes to get her back on the road. This is a great SUV, get one!!!"

one of the best SUV's created

By on Saturday, February 7, 2009

"This is no doubt one of the best family sport utility vehicle created. It has a powerful and "torquey" V8 5.4L engine and the stock off-road capability is quite superb for an outdoors kind of family. Even for someone who might like to get a little mud on the tires it does pretty well. Trust me, I've put this thing to the the test. It has an extremely good turning radius for a mid-size SUV and if I didn't know any better I would say it has the best. I've never had any major problems with this car. Just the occasional bearings that need replacing once you pass that 150,000 mile mark. I do all the work on the vehicle myself and since it's not too new i dont have to worry about all the electronics like cars today. Yet its not too old that it doesn't have the same luxuries as the newer ones. Overall it's a great vehicle and I'd recommend it to anyone... As long as its one that has been taken care of, such as mine. I hope my review has helped and take care."

My Experience

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"Very reliable vehicle. 3 kids and they did not do anything to it other than the carpet mats. Very sturdy. Still rides extremely smooth on the road, especially when I compared it to my 2006 F150. Engine is solid, no work necessary at all. Have only changed out the battery, tires, and the vehicle security module ($300). I am keeping this vehicle until it drops dead on me because I have not had to invest more than $1000 in the 7 years of using it."

An Awesome SUV

By on Saturday, December 22, 2007

"I have owned a Ford Expedition every year since 2000 and purchased the first one used. Traded for a new one with around 150,000 miles on each one and had no problems with any of these other than having to get tires and brake pads. I used to be a GM person, being all I would buy and once I purchased this Expedition, I have been buying Fords ever since. They are reliable, very well built, and use less fuel and oil than the two Cheverolet Pick-ups I owned. I looked at the Hummer and liked it, but for the money, quality, and reliability...the Expedition is the way to go. For the size of the vehicle, it has plenty of power and does pretty good on fuel...I get about 14.5-15 in the city and around 18 on the highway and that is with 75,000 on a 2000 model I just purchased used. I also purchased a new Ford Pick-up that I have 90,000 miles on and I am really wanting a new Expedition. But as with any vehicle you do have to keep up with the taking care of them. Stay away from old gas stations than have cheap or bad fuel, use good oil, and change all of the filters as recommend by Ford. I wish they would offer a desiel in this model. For overall reliability I would say if you take good care of it, that you can look at running 200,000 miles on this truck, perhaps more, but I trade up around 150,000."

Best Family Truckster Ever

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"Bought my white XLT with Tow Package, rear air and third seat new in late 1996. It now has 126000 miles. Two unexpected repairs needed: $700 for A/C part and $500 for lower ball joints - both were done just beyond the warranty somewhere around 45000 miles. Other than normal brake (2 replacement sets of pads with new rotars at 90k) and tire replacement (every 45-50k with michelins ) it has been a very reliable vehicle that has never left us on the roadside. It still looks good (when waxed) and passes the California test with good numbers. The A/C is icy cold, it doesn't burn oil and has never leaked a drop on the driveway. The interior is roomy and comfortable. It still looks almost new (3 boys and lots of soccer and little league teams later!) with no rips, fades or thin spots. It towed our 4500# camp trailer with ease and accelleration is reasonable for a big vehicle. It never got better than 12-13 mpg around town but will get 17-18 mpg on highway if you let it just cruise at 65. If you do push it on the highway it will still get 15 -16 mpg at 70-75 mph. We liked it enough to buy a new 2004 EB and keep the old XLT. The new EB rides and handles better but the old XLT has fewer rattles and creaks - and it gets better mileage. If we ever get rid of the old one I will be sorry to see it go. Maybe because there are so many good family memories with this vehicle. If you are thinking of buying a used one I'd recommend you find one with tow package for the heavier duty engine, transmission and cooling system that have been so reliable for us."

By on Saturday, September 8, 2007

"This is a terrific vehicle: very reliable, comfortable, responsive, powerful, and big! Despite the poor gas mileage, it is a wonderful SUV for transporting up to nine people, dogs, crates, building materials, gardening materials. It is very versatile. This has been my favorite car ever."

Top Notch Performance

By on Friday, September 7, 2007

"As a woman, I feel completely secure driving my Expedition in snow storms. I feel like I am in total control. Hauling four snowmobiles is a sinch! You don't even feel like you are hauling anything."

Can't part with it

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I have had my 2000 Eddie Bauer Exp since 2002 and had made a decision that I would buy a new vehicle when I reached 120K miles. I hit that 2 weeks ago and had been looking for another vehicle...but I just can't part with it. Originally, a great vehicle to haul a volleyball team on road trips, now all in college...I know it makes no sense for me to drive this large a vehicle when I am usually alone...but the strength, visibility, view of the road and plenty of room are very hard to part with! I have just a few minor problems with cosmetic items, like the in dash cup/coin holder. I love the in-door keypad...I never have to carry keys with me!"

Good solid performer

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"Purchased this vehicle with 69K miles, now has 165K. Only major problems: Air Conditioning - have spent $1500 to repair twice (compressor and rear evaporator). Very roomy, front seats are great, middle seats Ok, rear seats ok for small kids - not adults. Engine performs well with sufficient power. Arerage mileage: 14-15 combination city & highway. Have gotten as much as 17.5 on highway, 13-14 around city. I would buy another one."

Great (after year1)

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Bought Eddie Baur new in 1999. Terrible 1 st year. Everything electronic failed including compass! All fixed under warranty. After 1 st year no problems at all. This beast will pull anything. I have pulled a 25 ft sailboat with no problems. AWD is great, I put it in 4wd low once to test it, after that I have been through snow, mud, dirt in auto AWD setting. Never needed low range. Milage is 13-17mpg which isn't terrible for 5000 pound beast. We routinely make drive bay area to San Diego and climb out with no aches or pains. Leather still looks great after 8 years. Every Ford I have bought has had first year problems. Buy one used. Its great after the burn-in that Ford doesn't do."

Most Reliable Car Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, roomy."

Cons: "It's a large SUV so it uses more gas."

"I can't even count how many cars I've owned through the years. I do know I've owned this one longer than any other. It has been absolutely reliable and has required only basic maintenance and upkeep."

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer new tires,trans

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "very dependable,good condition inside and out"

Cons: "16 yrs old ,18 mpg hwy, 13 mpg city"

"1998 FORD EXPEDITION EDDIE BAUER. Runs and drives good,new tires,new transmission,new pioneer stereo system,cold A/C front and rear,full size spare,power everything,tow package,aluminum rims,new windshield.$3800.00 OBO"

Best Vehicle as my First Car

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, Fun to Drive, Very Safe, Dependable,"

Cons: "Bad Speakers"

"I own a 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition, I have owned it for quite some time. The only vehicle my parents trust me in, Due to experiences i have had in the past. I commute to college in it, 20 minutes everyday. dry wet or 2 feet of snow never left me stranded. I bought it with a hole in the catalytic converter and it still has it, but thats the only issue my truck has, its a 4.6L and i find it not to be a gas guzzler with the understanding that its not a 4cyl hybrid. it has 138,000 i am the third owner. The seats are comfortable, i am 6'4 and i can sit in the third seat and still have plenty of room for my legs. Love the leather seating, very comfortable. I love the Mack audio system, although i have blown several speakers. My parents owned a 1998 ford expedition xlt back in 2000 put 210,000 miles on it,. sold it with over 300,000 and till this day i still see it around the street. Very stylish for a family truck. and also for a 19 year old first car. I can park it anywhere with everything factory nothing added on, and i still get the "Nice Truck" comment. With good maintenance this truck will never die out. I have been in a car accident in it within the first week of owning it. Rear ended by a drunk driver going 85mph, while i was in a red light. The driver was sent to the hospital in critical condition, car was totaled. While i drove out of the scene needed only a new tow ball, and not too big dent in the rear bumper. still amazed and proud of my truck"

Toughest vehicle, orignal parts lasted over 10 yrs

By on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pros: "Makes u-turns like a car, great visibility"

Cons: "Check w/Ford for maintenace on auto shock system"

"This was a good year for Ford. My Expedition was bought in 2000 mainly so my teenagers would have access to the back radio controls to select their station preference. The moon roof was fun for them and we traveled back & forth between Baton Rouge and Shreveport, LA for family often. I have never been stranded, made sure the oil was changed regularly with Havoline and the main belt changed when needed. The 3rd seat was great for the family and friends, everyone had room. Loved the captain chairs in front and 2nd row. Plenty of room for ice chests in between. Now grandkids enjoy the room, easy to put car seats in and out. Lots of large windows to see around you."

dependable, easy to drive, great visability, roomy

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "dependable, fun to drive, excellent visability,"

Cons: "it has been perfect for us, no complaints"

"We love this vehicle! We didn't buy it for the milage..but for comfort, hauling ability, ease of driving and it's fun. We have taken excellent care of it, spendy, and it has been worth every penny.We will drive it til we or it goes belly up. It is room y enough for eight passengers, can haul tons in it's super roomy interior. We have driven up to 18, 20 hours and arrive tired but comfortable. We love this vehicle!!!"

too big for me no kids left

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "Its great for somone that has big fami or hauliin"

Cons: "too much gas but great car good for big families"

"The car is great for big families or someone who has to hauls boats or other things. The car has been nothing but pleasure to own but grandchildren moved out dont need such big car anymore. Exterior is beautiful or is interior car is red and has extra features. My family has enjoy this car so much hate to get rid of it."