2000 Ford Expedition

Based on 777 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

My Family Truckster

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Comfortable for trips and day to day"

Cons: "Tendency to wear dwn frnt tires if you dont rotate"

Our Family Truckster

"We have owned ours for 7 years and put 120,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 on it now. We have NEVER had a problem. NEVER left us stranded. Easy to maintain. My family has grown from 2 of us to 5 of us. We take cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, and never seem to run out of room. I am a firefighter and seen several of these in head on collisions and rollovers. It has done a terrific job in the safety category for the occupants in those collisions. The seats are comfortable for the long trips and it is NOT so big that you can't park it. Room for the kids to spread out. Even though it has 4.6L V8, it has never lacked the get up and go power I have needed. My only complaint is that the suspensions design is rough on front tires and you have to rotate your tires if you want to get a decent tread life out of your tires. A great choice. Now that they are getting old enough that they aren't very expensive, any 1997-2002 Expedition would be a good choice for a family looking for safety and comfort without spending $40,000 for a new SUV."

Our Family Truckster

Love my Expedition

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Spacious, feels safe"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage."

"I have had my Expedition for 11 years and LOVE it still. I now have two boys and the vehicle allows me to take them and all of their friends/gear wherever they need to go. Comfortably seats 8 with room to store things. I also used it to commute to work for many years. Great in bad weather with 4WD. Only problem is the gas mileage. While commuting it was 14 mpg, but around town gets only 11. Other than that I would definitely buy this car again!"

The best car I've ever owned--no problems at all

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "dependability, roominess, comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage ok but not great"

"I bought my Expedition new in 2001, so it is now 11 years old and has 175,000 miles. It has had no problems whatsoever. We've done routine maintenance throughout the years. This spring we bought a new battery, re-did the brakes, and charged the A/C (for the first time). It has hauled lots of stuff and lots of people over the years. We drove home from St. Louis to North Carolina in one day and didn't even feel tired from the drive. The Expedition is so big and roomy that long trips are possible and comfortable. Gas mileage has ranged from 15-17 mpg, depending on conditions. When the Expedition is cleaned up, it is still a sharp looking vehicle. We plan to drive it another 175,000 miles. Judging from some of the reviews here, I think we'll be able to do just that!"

11 Years and still chugging

By on Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Size, Towing, Roomy"

Cons: "GAS !!!!"

"Bought my Eddie Bauer Expy 7 years ago used with 90k on it. Now with 213k on it I can honestly say I love this thing. Have replaced 3 things in all the years, 2 alternators and 1 rear air suspension bag. Non were tough to do and reasonable. With the towing package I have towed everything from cars, boats, campers, trailers and even 11,000 lb food trailer, yes I knew that one was on there but it pulled and stopped fine. I would love to keep it with one exception, the gas, I average around 13 and thats a stinger when you fill up at $120 weekly. For a large family though they are awsome, I know people that have suburbans and tahoes that have replaced much more then me, gotta love a Ford."

BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!!

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Everything, No Complaints here!"

Cons: "Nothing- Has everything I have ever Wanted!!"

"I traded me 2000 Ford Windstar SEL for this 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 and I was instantly in LOVE. Rides so smooth, Comfortable. Seating with our Baby is still 7 other people. Sound system is AMAAZING! I Love Everything about it! Reliable, Incredible. Best Decision I ever made to Trade my Van for it. I was so attatched to my Van and then this came along. I am SOOO LUCKY!"

Great SUV !!!

By on Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"I bought my 2000 Expedition XLT off ebay sight unseen in 2005 with 64K miles. Scary deal that worked out great ! what a great truck, the wife and kids love it for long trips , no one feels cramped , rides great , it just turned 100K and still runs and drives like new. paint looks good but I have the common problem with the bottom edge of the doors rusting. I treated the rust but it will need to be repaired. I was considering selling it for a newer one but after reading all the great reviews about 180K plus on the 5.4 I see no reason to sell it. even if I have to spend a grand here and there I still save big time in the long run. I really have no complaints with this truck!"

SUV Powerhouse

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Yes, I'm a ford fan. I've owned lots of Fords (T-Birds, Trucks, SUVs, etc); but my 01 EB Expedition takes 1st place everytime. Me and the wife bought ours in Spring of 2004 with 33K miles; now has 72K miles. Done most of the maintenance myself. There have been two things that I've taken this vehicle to the shop; cracked head gasket at 46K and now EGR solenoid, EGR valve, PCV valve at 72K. I'm still running on the same Good Year Eagle GTs tires and I have many more miles left in them. The Expedition is a great family vehicle. We have taken it all over the Southeastern US with zero problems. We're gearing up for another trip to North Carolina in about 14 days. Gas mileage could be better! We get 13MPG city and about 17MPG highway. I'm debating on Jet Performance Module; possible a cold air intake to assist in MPG. Towing isn't a problem and typically...nothing will get in you way. My wife has torn down Mailboxes, Garage Doors, and ran over trailers and the expedition unstoppable! I wouldn't get rid of our expedition even if the gas did get to $5.00 a gallon!"

I love my Expedition!

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well"

Cons: "No cons"

"I could not ask for a more dependable vehicle. I take care of it and it takes care of my family and I. I take frequent trips and my vehicle has never broke down during the entire 8 years that I have owned my vehicle. It is a pleasure to drive and it delivers power on demand. It is equipped with a nice factory sound system to help with long drives. My family likes to be able to stretch out while traveling without giving up luggage space. Ford has really excelled with this vehicle."

Best SUV in its bracket.

By on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pros: "Essential Reliability, Cost, Operation"

Cons: "Ford Window systems not exactly the best."

Do-In AC, Harrah's Casino AC,NJ

"First bought in 2004 with 78000 miles. In 2012 reaching 320000 with very good preventative maintenance she's still looking good. Trying to keep her going well with few system problems. Good for me because my credit is not good enough for a new vehicle; at this time. Modified almost every thing on the vehicle from standard XLT version. Sound system is absolutely the best, added 20" dia. wheels & upgraded suspension system. Lighting system upgraded for hazardous foul-weather night driving."

Do-In AC, Harrah's Casino AC,NJ

Best Car I Ever Owned! I hated to let it go...

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Reason: Heater Core began leaking

Pros: "Wonderful, durable, long-lasting family vehicle"

Cons: "lousy gas milage for city driving"

"This was my favorite car of all time!! I would have driven this car FOREVER if she could have held up that long. It had a few issues early on in the 10+ years I drove it, and a couple of costly repairs, but it was well worth the money I put into it, and it rarely had problems day to day. The first thing to go out was the compressor on the rear end air conditioner, and it had failed due to some interior foam breaking off inside the air ducts. We were not happy to have to fix it, but the air conditioning worked great for years after that. The water pump was replaced at about 100,000 miles, the alternator was replaced once, and it had to have a re-keyed ignition once. The smooth ride of this family travelling car was absolutely wonderful! We went on several cross-country trips in this car and loved to travel in it. Unfortunately, the air-ride bags on the rear suspension began to leak at about 145,000 miles, and that is an expensive ($2500) fix, so we opted to replace the air-ride with struts and springs. It was still pretty comfortable after that, but not quite as smooth. We never had transmission or radiator problems with this car at all. It was a good, solid, dependable, ride. My only complaint is that it had somewhat lousy city gas mileage (14-15 mpg) but was better on the highway (17-20 mpg). Considering the amount of gear we have hauled over the roads on vacation (including camping trailers) I can't really complain too much, though. We experienced one wreck in this car when the driver of a car lost control and hit us in the rear driver's side-- her car was absolutely totalled and we literally drove home with only a dented tire rim and slightly damaged running board. We finally had to give this car up when the heater coil began leaking-- it just wasn't worth the money to patch her up again. So, we went straight down to our local Ford dealer and traded it in on another Expedition (same color in fact!) and are hoping that the second Expedition will run as long as our first one did."