1999 Ford Expedition

Based on 787 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

one of the best SUV's created

By on Saturday, February 07, 2009

"This is no doubt one of the best family sport utility vehicle created. It has a powerful and "torquey" V8 5.4L engine and the stock off-road capability is quite superb for an outdoors kind of family. Even for someone who might like to get a little mud on the tires it does pretty well. Trust me, I've put this thing to the the test. It has an extremely good turning radius for a mid-size SUV and if I didn't know any better I would say it has the best. I've never had any major problems with this car. Just the occasional bearings that need replacing once you pass that 150,000 mile mark. I do all the work on the vehicle myself and since it's not too new i dont have to worry about all the electronics like cars today. Yet its not too old that it doesn't have the same luxuries as the newer ones. Overall it's a great vehicle and I'd recommend it to anyone... As long as its one that has been taken care of, such as mine. I hope my review has helped and take care."

My Experience

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"Very reliable vehicle. 3 kids and they did not do anything to it other than the carpet mats. Very sturdy. Still rides extremely smooth on the road, especially when I compared it to my 2006 F150. Engine is solid, no work necessary at all. Have only changed out the battery, tires, and the vehicle security module ($300). I am keeping this vehicle until it drops dead on me because I have not had to invest more than $1000 in the 7 years of using it."

An Awesome SUV

By on Saturday, December 22, 2007

"I have owned a Ford Expedition every year since 2000 and purchased the first one used. Traded for a new one with around 150,000 miles on each one and had no problems with any of these other than having to get tires and brake pads. I used to be a GM person, being all I would buy and once I purchased this Expedition, I have been buying Fords ever since. They are reliable, very well built, and use less fuel and oil than the two Cheverolet Pick-ups I owned. I looked at the Hummer and liked it, but for the money, quality, and reliability...the Expedition is the way to go. For the size of the vehicle, it has plenty of power and does pretty good on fuel...I get about 14.5-15 in the city and around 18 on the highway and that is with 75,000 on a 2000 model I just purchased used. I also purchased a new Ford Pick-up that I have 90,000 miles on and I am really wanting a new Expedition. But as with any vehicle you do have to keep up with the taking care of them. Stay away from old gas stations than have cheap or bad fuel, use good oil, and change all of the filters as recommend by Ford. I wish they would offer a desiel in this model. For overall reliability I would say if you take good care of it, that you can look at running 200,000 miles on this truck, perhaps more, but I trade up around 150,000."

Best Family Truckster Ever

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"Bought my white XLT with Tow Package, rear air and third seat new in late 1996. It now has 126000 miles. Two unexpected repairs needed: $700 for A/C part and $500 for lower ball joints - both were done just beyond the warranty somewhere around 45000 miles. Other than normal brake (2 replacement sets of pads with new rotars at 90k) and tire replacement (every 45-50k with michelins ) it has been a very reliable vehicle that has never left us on the roadside. It still looks good (when waxed) and passes the California test with good numbers. The A/C is icy cold, it doesn't burn oil and has never leaked a drop on the driveway. The interior is roomy and comfortable. It still looks almost new (3 boys and lots of soccer and little league teams later!) with no rips, fades or thin spots. It towed our 4500# camp trailer with ease and accelleration is reasonable for a big vehicle. It never got better than 12-13 mpg around town but will get 17-18 mpg on highway if you let it just cruise at 65. If you do push it on the highway it will still get 15 -16 mpg at 70-75 mph. We liked it enough to buy a new 2004 EB and keep the old XLT. The new EB rides and handles better but the old XLT has fewer rattles and creaks - and it gets better mileage. If we ever get rid of the old one I will be sorry to see it go. Maybe because there are so many good family memories with this vehicle. If you are thinking of buying a used one I'd recommend you find one with tow package for the heavier duty engine, transmission and cooling system that have been so reliable for us."

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"This is a terrific vehicle: very reliable, comfortable, responsive, powerful, and big! Despite the poor gas mileage, it is a wonderful SUV for transporting up to nine people, dogs, crates, building materials, gardening materials. It is very versatile. This has been my favorite car ever."