1997 Ford Expedition

Based on 785 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

My Family Truckster

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Comfortable for trips and day to day"

Cons: "Tendency to wear dwn frnt tires if you dont rotate"

Our Family Truckster

"We have owned ours for 7 years and put 120,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 on it now. We have NEVER had a problem. NEVER left us stranded. Easy to maintain. My family has grown from 2 of us to 5 of us. We take cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, and never seem to run out of room. I am a firefighter and seen several of these in head on collisions and rollovers. It has done a terrific job in the safety category for the occupants in those collisions. The seats are comfortable for the long trips and it is NOT so big that you can't park it. Room for the kids to spread out. Even though it has 4.6L V8, it has never lacked the get up and go power I have needed. My only complaint is that the suspensions design is rough on front tires and you have to rotate your tires if you want to get a decent tread life out of your tires. A great choice. Now that they are getting old enough that they aren't very expensive, any 1997-2002 Expedition would be a good choice for a family looking for safety and comfort without spending $40,000 for a new SUV."

Our Family Truckster

AWESOME TRUCK

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "EVERYTHING BUT THE GAS MILAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cons: "gas milage"

"I LOVE my truck, except for the bad gas milage it is awesome. I bought it new in 1997. Up until it hit around 520,000 miles, I had no problems. I drive fast, rough, and use it to go mudding all the time, and everything in/on it is still factory. I beat this truck, and always have. I don't wash it too often, so the paint is faded and it has a little rust on the roof, but the paint problem is probably being that it has never seen a coat of wax. I hit 512,000 or so, and had a bad cylinder. other than that, I have not had a single problem. I only put oil in it when it hits 15,000 and don't put gas in it til' the fuel light starts flashing. I have some friends out in the sticks, and I go mudding everytime it rains hard enough. I have driven it to and from Jersey several times, and have never had a problem with the cold, heat, or any other water (except for the time I went on vacation and accidentally left the windows open in the rain for a month). But all in all it is the best truck I have ever had, and trust me, I have had a lot."

This Expedition is the best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "Great Great Great Great!!!!!"

Cons: "Coils need to be replaced too often."

"I use the Expedition everyday and average 250 miles per day. There isn't a place I wouldn't take my Expedition. Its in great shape and most of its original parts. It doesn't look like it should have the mileage that it has, its held up that great. If more cars were made like this, we would all have more money in our pockets. The Expedition has a 5.4L engine with 2 wheel drive and I average over 20 mpg.. The new ones average price is over 50K and everytime I take a test drive I realize I don't see or feel any difference."

Very reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, April 06, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive. Drives alot smaller."

Cons: "Hard to find suitable parking spots sometimes."

"Have owned car for 11 years. Don't need this big of a vehicle any longer. Gets decent gas mileage on freeway,65-70 mph,about 18-20 mpg. That is pretty good considering how big,and heavy the expedition is."

drives like a dream

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Room and comfort"

Cons: "mpg is 16,not bad for big suv but w/gas price,tuff"

"Best driving vehicle i have driven, and i have drove a Lot, one of my favorite used cars i have bought. It's like sitting in your recliner holding a steering wheel, bout effortless to drive. my wife even says it's more comfortable than her '12 pathfinder..."

Ol Faithful!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Powerful engine, comfortable ride, reliable"

Cons: "Bad fuel economy, blown spark plugs, thats it!"

"Ten years ago, my dad bought our 1999 Ford Expedition with 40,000 miles on it. For eight years he used it to commute through a steep mountain pass to get to work through every condition imaginable. In 2010 I started driving it and it now has 205,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. People find it hard to believe we've never even given it a tune up! The only problem I've had with it was a blown spark plug (which apparently is pretty typical on the Triton V8 engines) and my dad broke a valve spring once. Other than that it has been a perfect and reliable vehicle. The 5.4 L V8 engine puts out amazing amounts of power while being in a smooth comfortable ride. In the snow this car drives better than anything else I've driven. It's a great SUV and I would definatly suggest this vehicle to someone looking for an SUV."

Great driver

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "very reliable, doesnt get stuck, great truck"

Cons: "could use better gas milege, a bit big"

great truck.

"this truck is very reliable and nothing has gone wrong with it, i love this true. its great for winter, ive never gotten stuck or slid around. its a very stable truck. i will be running this truck until it doesnt work any longer. the heated seats are very convienent. and it has no problem being a work horse."

great truck.

Best Ride Yet!

By on Friday, March 05, 2010

"I have owned this 99 Expedition 2wd Eddie Bauer Edition for 3 years. When I got it it had 110,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 on it and is still going strong. Only problem I have ever had with it was due to the cad. converter and brakes. Before getting this vehicle I searched and searched for a good spacious dependable vehicle and after seeing this one I decided to get it. What a wise choice!! The gas mileage is only about 15 mpg, but hey the comfort makes up for that tri fold. The value of this SUV went down the tubes after everyone started "going green" but I don't expect to sell my expedition any time soon so that does not matter to me either. I LOVE MY EXPEDITION!!! In my opinion, you can't go wrong when buying one. My next vehicle (after my current Expedition dies) will be another Expedition."

expedition review

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"We are still the first owner's on this vehicle. It has been through numberous road trips. We have drove it from Iowa to Florida and back with no problems with four kids. It has enough room that they all can have their own space. I love the fold down cup holder in the second seat row. It is great for kids that are in a car seats. They can actually reach the cup holders. I do not like how the third seat was design on this model. It is very heavy and bulky to take out if you need to remove it. I wish that the third seat would have fold down like the second row does. Also if you put in two car seats in the third row, the car seat on the passenger side will lean towards the window since their is a gap between the seat and the window."

2000 expedition

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"A workhorse, pulls heavy loads with ease. 11-14 mpg with 4wd and tow package. Cabin space is huge and confortable. Ride is pleasant and quiet."