2005 Ford Excursion

9.5

Based on 502 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

9.7/10

Great vehicle - wish I could find another

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Hauls everything"

Cons: "Tough on tires"

"I bought a 2000 model with the 7.3L PSD in 2004 with 68,000 miles on it and now have almost 250,000. This is absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned. Just returned from a 2,000-mile vacation with a family of 6 and the dog and the Excursion performed beautifully. Got 17-18 mpg hauling all our stuff. If you need to tow, this vehicle will get it done. The first time I towed with it, I hooked up to our 5,000-lb scout troop trailer and pulled it right over the chocks without even noticing. At 250,000 miles, the engine does consume/leak 1 qt of oil every 1-2k miles. Because of the weight, it is also tough on ball joints and tires. I use E-rated Michelin MS2s and get about 40K out of them. Would buy another Excursion in a heartbeat."

Bought ours new in 2002 - Great heavy duty SUV

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "Has been a great family vehicle"

Cons: "too bad they stopped making them with the diesel"

"Goes anywhere hauls 8 people comfortably with luggage. Drove it from CA to SC The International 7.3 turbo diesel got between 17-19 mpg with 3 people 2 large dogs and it was packed full of our stuff as we were moving. We drove 75-80 mph even up the hills it was frequently between 110 and 120 in arizona. The whole time it was very comfortable and it never overheated. It was a perfect cross country trip. Maintenance: wow around 100k I spent $1400.00 at the dealer to replace the oem 4wd front hubs and vacuume hoses as they are supposed to go out at 100k. If you drive it 62 mph it will get 22-23 mpg on the highway on cruise. It 4 wheels very well off the road. Every time we go to the dealer they want to buy it. Since nothing like it has been made since 2005 (with the diesel). There are hotels up north that desparately want them to put a snow plow on the front and haul their customers around in severe weather. As far as recommending it. I would recommend it, if you have a need for one. But good luck finding a low mileage One with an International 7.3 Diesel in good shape for under 20 grand. Sorry but I wouldnt recommend any ford power stroke with all the issues I have heard about."

For 9 years this is my towing workhorse. Great!

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

"I love this vehicle, and have had many 4X4s, but this is the stoutest, most reliable. I tow big tractors on flatbeds and have never had one single complaint on its performance. Shame they discontinued it."

It was perfect for 4 kids and a great dane!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "600 miles on a tank, no kids touch each other!"

Cons: "12mpg/ 42 gal tank:{"

"Very reliable vehicle for us, great on trips from florida to the north. plenty of space. mileage was good for what it was[12- 16 mpg). Handled good for its size."

Sweet Ride

By on Sunday, January 23, 2011

"Bought my 01 new in TX and have never regretted it. The diesel is the only way to go in my opinion. With 4 kids and lots of sports road trips it gave everyone plenty of room. Have consistently gotten 19 - 21 mpg, better if you keep it around 65 mph. Now have 135K and still going strong. Occasionally I think about selling it and then we go on a trip and I fall in love again. Even with fuel prices today, it's worth it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Excursion near Honolulu. See local deals