2015 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,932 - $23,340.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 08/25/2016

10/8.0

7.4

Based on 253 Ratings for the 2013 - 2017 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10

Great, Versatile and Fun Vehicle

By on Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, versatility, powertrain, fun to drive."

Cons: "Lower gas mileage than advertised."

"Before signing the check for my new Escape SE, I researched and drove every competitive vehicle. The Escape won me over due to it's design, forward thinking, utility, comfort, mileage and overall driving characteristics. Coming from a premium brand AWD vehicle, I was at first skeptical, but I've come to really appreciate and love this vehicle. It drives and handles extremely well, and feels well-planted on the road. The seating is extremely comfortable, although the footwell is a bit tight, it's not too tight for my 6'0", 185 pound frame. The engine is extremely quiet - something I didn't expect from a small turbo, and the automatic transmission is very smooth. Fit and finish are on par with more expensive vehicles, which I believe is the reason it costs slightly more than others in it's class. I also love the Sync with MyFordTouch, and don't understand why some complain about it. It's intuitive, and easy to learn to operate. So far, I haven't been getting the EPA's rated fuel mileage, but it's probably due to my driving style and frequent stop and go traffic. The best I've done yet is 29 mpg when driven mostly highway miles. As with all vehicles, I expect the mileage to improve once broken in. I also love the auto-tailgate option, though I don't have the "foot motion" option, which I don't feel is necessary. All said, I love this vehicle."

Best Escape EVER 2013 SEL 2.0L

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "Great Handling..Plenty of Get Up and Go.."

Cons: "Hump in Front of the Seats"

"Owned it for 6 weeks now to replace my 2007 XLT Escape..Boy what a difference. Better Power..Great handling..Average 27.8 MPG Looked at the Titanium but didn't see a use for the 4 wheel drive and Moon Roof..So went with the 2.0L SEL. Glad to have made the purchase..took it the first weekend on a 2,000 mile road trip..averaged 29.6 MPG on the trip. Only item I dislike is the hump in front of the seats..I'm 5' 10" and when you pull your foot back it gets in the way...otherwise really happy with the vehicle."

Very nice automobile

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "Fun, cool looking, techno heavy and a great value."

Cons: "Mileage a bit lower than stated."

"I have researched the vehicle prior to buying it, I chose the titanium with nav, parking technology and a tow hitch. I haven't yet towed anything, but that's why I got it. Compare it to what else is out there, including the higher end suv's and you will likely choose it as well. Very nice stuff in this vehicle. As far as value, it's not that bad either. Mileage is a bit lower that what is stated, but I have pretty much stayed off the freeways. Very well thought out, compared to the Acura, this wins by a mile and a half, much cheaper and more comfort. The Kia is junk, rav 4 way under powered. The GM options don't even come close, a short test drive in the Chevy was over and I eft the dealer within an hour, it's way overpriced, the BMW, very nice, but expensive! could almost buy two of these. Lexus, nice as well, but really, the fords seems better in value and looks. I thought the Mazda was close, but it felt cheap and tinny. They say this model is bigger that the 2012 version, I am not totally convinced, but drivability.....no comparison. The older one felt sluggish and tank like, I seem to forget this s a suv. Easy to get in and out and visibility is the best I've seen. Good job ford, hopefully the pesky recall issues are resolved, otherwise I see this being a real winner. If you buy something else without at least test driving this, you are indeed crazy."

grew to like it

By on Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, sleek look,"

Cons: "mileage could be better"

"I initially had resistance to going to a smaller vehicle. The numerous recalls were annoying, but I was glad to have them fixed and none of them were severe in nature. I like the responsiveness of the vehicle and the handling is very secure and sporty. Even the small 4 cylinder packs a punch with the Eco-boost engine. The design is sleek and the interior is comfortable for the driver and front passenger. Like any smaller vehicle the back seat passengers may be squeezed depending on their size. You will only get the advertised mileage if you drive the slower speed limits, but even at 75 mph I will average between 25-28 mph depending on the terrain and weather. Overall it is a very good vehicle and improving with each year as most models do."

FAST FAST FAST

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"2.0l TURBO IS SO FAST. NO PROBLEM PASSING IF YOU NEED THE GET UP AND GO IT HAS IT. RIDES GREAT CHOOSE IT OVER A EXPLORER I WAS GOING TO BUY. GOING FROM A FULL SIZE EXPLORER TO THE ESCAPE WAS A MISTAKE. I DO NEED MORE ROOM THOUGH WILL PROBABLY GO INTO THE EDGE. GARAGE LIMITATIONS! IF YOU DONT NEED MORE ROOM THEN THIS IS A GREAT CAR. A BIT DISAPPOINTING IN GAS MILEAGE. IF YOU WANT 30MPG YOU HAVE TO DRIVE AT 65MPH DRIVING AT 75 GETS YOU ABOUT 26 HWY. OVER ALL GREAT FAST FUN TO DRIVE SUV"

Awesome car!

By on Monday, October 8, 2012

Pros: "Awesome to drive, sweet ambient lighting"

Cons: "Haven't found one yet!"

This is Bonni Blue.

"Researched this car to replace a 2010 Sport trac. Needed a car with better gas mileage. Love the design and love the technology package. Gas mileage is working up to where it needs to be but already better than the sport trac. Love the remote start feature. Husband picked the color but it looks so much better in person."

This is Bonni Blue.

Fine in the snow and bested a deer

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Safe, handles well, comfortable"

Cons: "Not big ones"

"I absolutely love my escape. For those complaining about mileage, they really need to check how they drive because I avg 25 mpg just like I'm supposed to. I get 28-30 Hwy and 22-24 city. Extremely safe car! I hit a deer after owning it for six months. My friend and I walked away without any injuries and the side airbags did deploy (no marks from the seat belt, no whip lash, nothing). The car immediately killed the engine, turned on my hazards, and called 911 in the right county. Got it fixed up, good as new at the body shop. I've also never had problems with the snow. This winter has been terrible, but my car has handled it like a champ. Not as great as a 4x4 truck, but great for what it is. Only complaints are that the center console is super deep, the miles to empty warning is often off by quite a few miles (more than the usual vehicle), and it takes a few seconds for the vroom to kick in when I floor it (I have the 1.6L)."

Excellent AWD that's fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quiet, comfortable, excellent AWD"

Cons: "Flaky Sync/MyFordTouch"

"I have owned this 2013 Titanium AWD (2.0 EcoBoost) for 1 year today and have used it mostly for commuting 12 miles to work (24 miles rt) per day with a few long trips >200 miles. The main thing I like about the car is its driving characteristics. It has very nimble handling and plenty of power--as close to a sporty car feel as one could get in an SUV. In addition, the cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable (I am 5'9'' and average weight) though I can see it might be tight for a bigger person. The gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg overall for the entire year--I never reset the calculation for the 2nd monitor. This is somewhat less than I had hoped for but much better than my other 4WD options (pickup truck). At least it uses regular gas. I have a long (700 ft), steep driveway and we've had a lot of snow this year. After learning how to use the AWD correctly by going very easy on the gas until it figures out how to distribute the power, I have never had a hitch getting home even in 10"-16" snow drifts. I suspect that the folks who wrote about having trouble with the AWD in snow did what I first did--tried to blast up to speed from a standstill--the so-called intelligent AWD seems to require a gradual startup from a stop to get everything engaged. Wheel spinning defeats its effectiveness. I really like the "techy" stuff this car sports. Most of it works well though the Sync stuff is fairly flaky. I can always make a hands-free phone call and that's pretty much all I care about. I cannot get the system to recognize the spoken "USB" when I try to access my iPod, so I have to do that from the touch screen. The blindside warning, rearview camera and proximity warnings are so far reliable and helpful. The HID headlights are awesome! And the foot-kick operated tailgate is much more useful than I anticipated. What would I improve? The MyFordTouch/Sync system would be better replaced by Apple's Siri. The center console is too deep for its opening. The gas mileage could be better, but that may require doing something about the weather--cold and snow do not promote high mileage. I'm not convinced of the value of 19" tires--a recent pothole event has cost me $229 for a single replacement! A somewhat bigger gas tank would be nice. Bottom line: before buying the Escape, I tested the RAV4, the CRV and the RDX, all with AWD. The Escape was by far the most fun to drive and the quietest with comfort equal to the better of the alternatives. These features continue to please and I am very happy with the car. I have recommended this version to several friends and relatives."

Great car.

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, Sync/MyFord Touch"

"I own a 2013 SE and I love this vehicle. It meets all my needs. MyFord Touch works flawlessly, I'm getting the expected mileage and in fact I got 32mpg on a 50 mile drive on a quiet road early one morning. Another important thing - it's built tough. I was sitting at a red light last week when I was hit almost head on by another, larger, vehicle. Three airbags deployed and I walked away with only a few scratches. Due to the airbag deployment and the cost to replace them in NY, the car is a write off, but I have already ordered the 2014 model as a replacement. I looked around to test the market but could not find anything better in this segment."

One of the nicest cars we've owned.

By on Friday, January 4, 2013

Pros: "Economical, great performance, nice styling."

Cons: "Passenger seat comfort, front and back."

By the sea.

"The styling is a refreshing change and the handling and performance is outstanding. We drive some moderately high mountans 3 to 4 times a month and the EcoBoost engine is terrific. We still manage to average 24-25 mpg overall, and when I've purposely checked highway mileage it has generally come in at 29+ ("they" say that improves over time). We ordered the car and have only had it five months so I can't speak to the reliability but we had an earlier version of the Escape and it was great! Based upon initial experience, this is definately a car we would purchase again and recommend."

By the sea.

Overall...

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "EcoBoost engine at 240hp is fun to drive"

Cons: "MyFordTouch sync software is a bit buggy"

"EcoBoost engine at 240hp provides awesome acceleration when needed! Intelligent 4 AWD system handling in the snow is great. Was unable to get the car to slide even at 4000 RPM. Actual mileage is less than advertised, at 20mpg around town, and 24mpg on the freeway, but that is the cost of a 240hp, AWD vehicle. MyFordTouch sync software is still a little buggy with v3.5.1, but overall works very well."

Typical small SUV

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

"Likes- the power of the 1.6. The good handling. The good steering feel. Very little wind and road noise. Dislikes- The lack of ease dealing with the Synch system. It sometimes doesn't reconnect my iphone when I get back in the car. Ft. seat bottoms too short and back seats are even shorter. Handbrake takes up usable room on console."

Loved this SUV!

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

I want this car

"I wanted to rent an SUV for a out of town family wedding and was given the 2013 Ford Escape. Absolutely loved it! Held 4 adults with luggage comfortably. Smooth, powerful,low gas mileage ride, easy to handle and great looking! Am now considering buying one."

I really like this vihicle, nothing bad at all.

By on Friday, December 11, 2015

Pros: "Yeah! Great price and it is fun to drive"

Cons: "None so far."

"This has everything I could ask for in a vehicle, all the comforts and then some. I average 27.9 mpg with the 1.6 Eco boost engine and it has plenty of power. the price was right and the sales people were very nice. Love it."

Cute little SUV

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pros: "Good looking, handling, high feature content"

Cons: "Poor MPG for 2.4 L, priced close to bigger SUVs"

"I have '13 Titanium, fully loaded. Besides few glitches with navigation, some ocasional rattles, intermitten function of hands-free tail gate operation it is a very nice vehicle. Small gas tank requires good planning for long trips. 20.2 MPG (computer readings) is not that great at all. But four people will be comfortable for 3-4 hours, enough space for luggage, good stereo, etc."

ecoboost is powerfull and economical

By on Thursday, June 25, 2015

Pros: "very maneuverable, sync is smart and easy to use,"

Cons: "backseat legroom over 6' tight"

"one of the best road handling smaller suv's for long trips. no twitchy lane changes. passes other traffic with ease and flies over the high Colorado passes. averages 27.5 mpg in the mountains."

An all around great vehicle.

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, powerful drivetrain, luxurious."

Cons: "Decreased leg room, average on snow."

"Much better than I expected. Amazing gas mileage and power. Handles like a small car. Absolutely satisfied with this purchase. Only two negatives: Decreased leg room (I'm 6'3"). Average handling on snow."

great car

By on Friday, July 6, 2012

Pros: "Ford hit the jackpot with this one"

Cons: "a little pricy"

"Started to research this vehicle before dealers started evev getting them in.Contacted my ford dealer to let me know when they started to get them.The first one they got was black,a color I wasn't particularly interested in.The evening I went out to look at it they had just gotten a sel model in fully loaded I test drived and bought it that same night.What a great vehicle.Even if you don't like suv's you'll love this one."

2014 Ford Escape S

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive it"

"So far I love it. I get about 30 MPG as I drive the highway 10 times a week. I love all the features and the power and it's very comfortable. I love the rear view camera and blind spot mirrors. I love the Sync, AC, speaker system and well everything. Plenty of room for me and my pets. Have had no problems with voice activation or any of the stuff I read about in some reviews."

My 10th Ford and I'm not having these issues.

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Style,Handling,Blind Spot Recognition"

Cons: "Quirky Sync"

Near Scenic WA with my 2 girls

"2013 Titanium 4x4 loaded. I average 24 mpg mixed driving and on long trips I have gotten 30 mpg, hills will kill the mpg, when I drive up to the mountains for skiing I avg 22 mpg round trip. No issues with quality of this vehicle no rattles sticking windows etc. Yes Sync is a little quirky and sometimes won't connect to my Android phone, shut BT off/on and all is ok. Good ride and tackles the snow as any 4x4 should, other's complain about being stuck and throttle response not good, shut off the traction control (like the manual says) and you will be fine. I do have the issue in wet slushy snow of hydroplaning a bit, 19" low profile tires who are you kidding this is going to happen. I bought a set 17" plain steel wheels with snow tires for next year. Overall after 6 months I'm very pleased with this SUV."

Near Scenic WA with my 2 girls

1.6L Engine ate drive belt 2500$ damage

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Pros: "pleasant to drive, loads of tech features"

Cons: "Engine failed due to belt, warranty useless"

Drive belt wrapped around timing belt pulley $2449 to repair

"We loved the features of the 2013 Escape. The fuel mileage was lower than advertised by a couple mpg but still pretty good. At 52000 miles the serpentine belt failed and got pulled into the timing belt. The timing was thrown off and caused $2449 in damage. Neither the powertrain warranty or extended service plan covered the cost of the repairs, as the belt is a non covered part. Any damage caused by non covered parts is also excluded from coverage by any factory warranty."

Drive belt wrapped around timing belt pulley $2449 to repair

Great car, good ride, poor mileage

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great pep and handling"

Cons: "Poor mileage or not getting stated mileage"

"This is a good handling car with tremendous get up and go. The mileage stated is not what I am getting, took it back to the Ford Dealer and they claim they took it for a test drive and got the stated mileage. Just came back from a 6 hour all highway trip, got 4 to 5 miles to the gallon less than stated mileage. Have to take it back to dealer and see what I can do. Really like the sync feature and the integration of my smartphone, I can even receive texts with voice."

My favorite little car

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "good power, looks, driving dynamics, technology"

Cons: "no coin holder in center counsel"

"I've had my ford escape for 9 months and i cannot think of a better car in this segment. i wanted a car that was as youthful as i and this was the one. this is far beyond my expectations and i recommend it to everyone i know that's looking for a new car."

My first SUV and love it!

By on Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pros: "Quiet...comfortable...power liftgate"

Cons: "None so far"

"After owning cars all my life I decided to give an SUV a try. I traded my Fusion for a 2014 Titanium. After a recent 500 mile road trip I feel I made the right choice. It is quiet and very comfortable to drive and ride in. After a month I am getting 28 mpg with the 1.6 turbo. Having used sync in my previous Ford I have found that the system works well. Shortly after I bought it I updated the Sync and now it has very few glitches. Didn't rate reliability because I haven't had it long enough. However, the quality of fit from the factory was excellent."

Awesome

By on Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pros: "Fair price, fun to drive, Touch Pad"

"I have the SE 2.0 Ecoboost and cannot be happier with my purchase. Drives smoothly, have lots of space."