• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,456 - $22,993.

10/7.8

7.1

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10

2 days and loving it

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "Sporty,quick,excel braking, maneuvers well."

Cons: "A little small inside"

"It's true I have had this car only two days, but i am absolutely in love with,it. It's quick, sporty, comfortable, and everyone stares at it. The body style is so much better than previous escapes. I haven't owned a Ford before, this is my first. Been looking at this car for the last few months and comparing it to other makes. Decided on this one as my husband loves the sync etc. he has a Ford Truck he loves. I have always had bigger SUVs , but the size of this isn't too small, but it definitely Is not for people who are larger. Chose the platinum white which is beautiful With the tan leather interior. I look forward to driving this for the next five years ....."

Love it

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable to drive like dual climate control"

Cons: "None so far"

"I purchased a Kodiak brown Escape SE. It is not only a beautiful vehicle but a joy to drive. Miles per gallon much better than my PT Cruiser or the Journey I traded in. The dealership has been very helpful and the whole experience has been great."

buyers remorse - but it's still an upgrade!

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, cheapest Ford suv option,"

Cons: "mpg, multiple recalls, SYNC malfunction,"

"I went from an old Ford Explorer to this car. The gas mileage is not what I was expecting, but an obvious upgrade from the 1999 Explorer. I bought the car in July 2012, and feel like Ford did too much with it. The Sync system works, for the majority of the time, but every now and then it will freeze, or get stuck on a screen and the only way to fix it is to get out of the car and turn it off. A big pain when you are on a road trip. Also, the recalls have been a nuisance. The dealership I bought the car from thankfully has been excellent, but it doesn't take away from the fact that I am paying for a car that gets taken from me every few months for at least a week at a time. Very inconvenient. I am wishing I would have waited to purchase the car until it had been out for a while. the estimated 33 mpg has been a joke. I have taken long trips in the car and averaged only 22 mpg- all highway miles. That is very frusterating. Having a bit of buyers remorse..."

Step up from a subaru

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "Good looking, European driving characteristics,"

Cons: "OEM Tires - not for dirt roads here in NE"

"After owning Subaru's for years, finally a grown up yet sporty AWD. Great this winter with winter tires - same as on my departed Impreza Sport. Much more reliable for mix of stop and go and highway driving. Much more comfortable drive and less than 1 mile per gallon less tops. Seats are comfortable (SE version) and durable. Driving position excellent. Service from local dealer was great during December recall - was given Titanium to drive (still liked my SE better). Only complaint about recall is that they didn't extend my Sirius. Sync - she is a cranky old bitty. Sometimes she likes me, sometimes not. New age Subaru - what the new Forester should have been."

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and roomy"

Cons: "Ga mileage, "pausing" and cost"

"I purchased this vehicle after owning a 2012 Kia Sportage because it was too small and I didn't like the way it drove. The Escape is a far superior vehicle in all senses. It's great to drive, extremely zippy with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine, quite, and just overall a great vehicle. This was my first Ford and overall I am very impressed and will most likely buy another Ford. Downsides: Sometimes seems to "pause" or "stall". I can't replicate it and two different dealerships say they can't find anything wrong. It also is only getting 19 MPG average and at best only 22 MPG on the highway. It's 4WD, but should still get better mileage than that. The other downside is the cost. All Fords cost $3-6K more than comparable cars. They didn't take a bailout though from the Gov't, so I'll support the higher price. The last issue is the Navi/Sync. The navi is not very intuitive and difficult to work. The sync is a pain and doesn't always work as advertised. I do'mt use it much though, so I can't ding it too much. Overall, very happy with the car and I love to drive it!"

Nice vehicle for a small truck.

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "I consider this a best in class small SUV"

Cons: "A bit small cargo area for an SUV"

"I have a 4wd ecoboost 2.0 which I traded a 2007 Ford Mustang for. Before the 2007 Mustang I had a 2000 Mustang GT. I was concerned the Escape would not have enough power. I am pleased that I was wrong. Great performance. It does not spin the wheels like my GT but is very peppy. The ride is a little stiff like the GT but is to be expected in a small truck which this technically is. I am 6'2" and weight 240 lbs and find the front seats comfortable. The back seat is a little small for me. The only downside to this vehicle is a rather small payload area, even with the seats down. There is a learning curve on the options for the transmission and the console electronics. I also wish I had the upgraded sound system which I had in my Mustangs. The 4wd version is a little louder than than the 2wd version. I also have to be careful to not take turns as fast as I could in the Mustang as this vehicle is a little taller and not as wide."

Very pleased with this Ford

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "Great ride and easy handling"

Cons: "srotage access and cup holders"

"I have had this car for 5 weeks now and have put about 2000 miles on it with no problems at all getting around 27 to 28 mpg with plenty of pickup in the 2.0. I do wish it had a bigger fuel tank so far thats my only complant the electric steering is the best it took some getting use to but now we love it the My Touch has had no problems go far let me drive this car another 6 months to see if anything changes"

Avoid This Vehicle At All Costs!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Reason: Horrible Mileage, Bad Ride Quality, Broken Technology, Performance.

"First off, I want to begin by saying I have been a loyal Ford customer for over 7 years. This was my fourth Ford vehicle and after this, probably my last. The test drive will not do justice for this vehicle because the engine has this lag that just feels like it's hunting for gears all the time but unless you get it out on the road in regular driving, you won't notice it. MPG is beyond horrible. I combined for 15 to 16 MPG for most weeks and the best I was able to get with it was 18 one time. The sync system is worthless. It freezes at least once a day and can only be reset by turning off the car, opening the door, shutting the door and starting it back up. It doesn't understand most commands and it just a true pain. The vehicle is also so stiff with it's suspension that it is uncomfortable. You feel every little chip in the road right up through your seat. Another gripe is the carpet. It has the cheapest carpet I've ever seen in a vehicle and it's almost impossible to clean it without pulling grass and dirt out by hand because it all gets mashed. When you combine all these things, it's just not the vehicle I was expecting by far. With the price they are selling these things at, it is impossible for me to recommend this car for a buyer. Go test drive it, then drive it again... Then drive it again! If you still love it, go for it! I just think there is too many drawbacks and with Ford basically telling me it's not their problem, it has cost them a customer! I hope I was able to help!"

Not a great ride

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

Pros: "zippy, ok price, liftgate"

Cons: "poor seat design, poor storage design"

"This car really is alot of hype. My friend has one and is not happy. It does not give great gas mileage as projected. The seating is terribly uncomfortable - seats are short, the leatherette and cloth combo is awful. There is very little storage areas for things. The cup holders are few. I feel like I am in a cockpit when I sit in the passenger seat. The seat wraps around my legs and there is very little area to move around. When driving the Escape, I feel there is too much going on with the dash and controls."

Really not pleased

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileagge"

"This is my fourth Ford vehicle. I have many years of good service and cars from ford, except for my 2013 Escape. The mileage is real BAD! I am Getting around 16 to 17mpg and each time I call ford they say "give it a few more miles" The service department took it for a ride and said they were getting 19mpg... how they got that number I do not know. I took the same route and got no where near that. I know two other owners who are having the same problem and would like to hear from others."

Tight Escape

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great performance and good value"

Cons: "Small space for driver"

"Overall, the Escape is a great good looking performer. It has good gas mileage and a lot of power, when you need it. The larger 2.0 turbocharged engine with intelligent all wheel drive works well with the lower available gear ratio. I am getting 24 to 27 mpg while driving with the normal fast flow of highway traffic. However, this vehicle does not offer a lot of side to side room for driver. Your knees may hit the door and console if you are like me. For highway driving, the seat does go all the way back and your can stretch your legs, the telescopic steering wheel is a welcomed unexpected option. Ford could have easily pushed console over to the passenger side so the driver could have more room. But, it is a compact SUV and I am not a small person. The temperature control could be easier to adjust. I do like some of the Sync features like the phone though. Overall, I rate it an 8 out of 10."

Rented This car many times this year across the US

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Very fuel efficient, superb electronics"

Cons: "Seat could be more comfy."

"I travel a lot and have found myself requesting the Escape over just about all the other rentals. The car has plenty of room during my travels, is bullet proof in reliability. The electronics are second to none including hands free phone and blue tooth audio. A Very good sound system for a rental car and a solid drive. I am moving forward with buying one."

Ford has done it once again!

By on Friday, November 30, 2012

Pros: "slick apperance, fun to drive, great gas mileage"

Cons: "minor mytouch clitches"

"This is my second Ford vehicle I have owned. I am in LOVE with this SUV. I bought it about 2 months ago and I am very pleased. I have the panoramic roof which is beautiful, the MyTouch and Sync is great, and I love the automatic liftgate. The MPG is great for an SUV and all the new technology of the car is state of the art. If you are considering buying this, forget the negative reviews... I have a feeling the driver had a little to do with the problemsas well. Its a really great car. I recommend it 100%! PS. This is a BRAND new model Ford has released. Every brand new model ANY car manufactuer releases will have a few clitches, they are called recalls. If you don't want to deal with some of the MINOR MINOR clitches that MAY occur, dont buy a brand new model of a vehicle. Not saying I have had any problems, but people complaining about the clock, yeah thats annoying, but you have to consider thats the first time of them with the computer system. The car is brand new, they will fix it! BUY FORD OR BUY ANY AMERICAN CAR! SUPPORT USA!"

Not what you expect from Ford!!

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Gas mileage is not even close to what Ford claims."

"Do not waste your time or money!! Gas mileage is terrible, I bought this car for the gas mileage and it is not close to what Ford claims. I can barely get 24 MPG highway and mine is 2WD which Ford says gets 30MPG. Brakes squeak, wind noise much higher than comparable vehicles"

The best and worst car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "comfort, phone sync, backup camera, space, looks"

Cons: "Voice-contolled dashboard, MPG not up to specs"

"Certain aspects of this car is quite simply the best I've ever owned. I'll start there; it gets an A+. This would be the handling, comfort,visibility, keyless entry and ignition, back-up camera, phone sync, roomy well-planned space, outward appearance; it's the abslolute BEST!Now for the other. Dashboard computer voice to operate radio/GPS/weather, etc. This is a nonnegotiable standard option and is beyond horrible, worst I've ever seen, and I started driving in 1966. It's not just the Computer voice not comprehending. No, you must then put up with the game of 20 questions or get schooled in options you already understand - or just start over. Manual options exist but very difficult to access. Next: Car advertised highway miles up to 31 MPG. I live in a rural ranch area so I'm nearly always highway. Best mileage ever: 22 MPH. Next: Eco-booster option on titanium; Car kicks in low on every single hill. Could be reason for the poor gas mileage. Very disastisfied with up-n-go, except around town and from a dead stop it picks up good. Overall rating for me: C+ to B- It all depends on the features that most float your boat."

DO NOT BUY the 2013 Ford Escape

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, good sound system, spacious trunk,etc"

Cons: "horrible computer system, horrible brakes,HORRIBLE"

"I just graduated college and this is my first car with my new job. After a 20 minute test drive with the Ford Escape and hearing about all the options my heart was set on getting this car.... which I did! WORST DECISION EVER. I have had the car approximately 1.5 months and it is going in tomorrow for its THIRD service. The brakes squeal and the service department "cant fix it" because they "don't know why it's happening". The computer constantly freezes and the clock keeps resetting itself to the time when I turned the car off. As of tomorrow, under VA law, I can return the car under the Lemon law. WHICH I WILL. Never ever again will I buy a Ford model car. BUYER BEWARE."

The worst car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Reason: Bad gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems.

Pros: "I loved the panoramic roof."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems."

"Back in 2004, I wanted to buy an Escape. I bought a Honda Odyssey instead, which turned out to be the best "daddy car" ever. I ran it into the ground (180K miles), but always thought the Escape looked cooler. So when it came time to trade the Odyssey in, I went back to the Escape and immediately bought the first car I found that had all the options I was looking for. The next week I had to bring it in for an engine fire recall--the THIRD one for the 2013 Escape. That got my attention. The idea was to hand the Escape over to my son once he started college. How could I do that with a car that had a history of engine fires? More importantly, I got AWFUL gas mileage. Where it's rated at 30 on the highway, I got a highway average of 23.7 and a city average of 19.3. I got better mileage with my Odyssey, which was a bigger, heavier car! I put an average of 2,000 miles a month on the Escape, and I was going to the gas station every 2-4 days. It was costing me a fortune. The hands free lift gate is a big selling point with this car, but it doesn't work. I spent a lot of time kicking the back of the car trying to get it to open. Eventually I gave up and started using the key. The other annoying thing was that the gate never closed completely, and I would have to get, go outside, and kick the gate shut. The touch feature on the doors rarely worked either, especially if it was wet or cold outside. I ended up going to the key fob most of the time to open the car, too. The Sync system was the most annoying feature of the entire car. It rarely ever worked. Forget about having it look up a restaurant or a point of interest (POI) that was more than a mile or two away. It was completely incapable of doing that. I learned to check the directions it gave me with the Maps function on my iPhone because most of the time there was an easier way that was more directed, avoided heavy traffic, or was free from tolls. If I wanted to hear a song on my iPod, forget that, too. That was too complicated for it. I owned my Escape for a year, and there wasn't a day when I didn't tell myself that I hated that car. I finally got rid of it this weekend, and it's probably the first time I wasn't sad. There were a few good memories in that car, but they were completely unrelated to the car itself. In fact, my favorite moment may have been when I saw it in the rearview mirror of my new car as I drove away. And the kicker? My new Prius has more trunk space! If you like the newest thing and money and gas mileage aren't important to you, you might enjoy the Escape. Avoid the Sync system, if possible, and forget that the hands free lift system is even there."

Best SUV I have ever driven

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive-Powerfull"

Cons: "Price a little steep for Titaniun model"

"drives like a car. Gets great gas mileage. Echo boost engine has incredible performance for a 4cyl. I love the intelligent 4 wheel drive, works great. Driven in snow, mud, ice, and never got stuck. Stereo system is amazing! Rich deep bass to where you can actually feel the thump in your chest! Has been very reliable. Drives and shifts very smoothly. Great cargo room"

I Love my Escape, I look for reasons to drive it.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Love driving it, quiet smooth fun!"

Cons: "Center console storage is not well designed."

"I have the 2014 Escape SE AWD 1.6L Ecoboost engine with Leather, I look forward to driving it, and look for any reason to drive it. It is quiet and smooth, but has power when you want it. Gas mileage is great, it is up to you and how you drive to get the mileage advertized! I have seen reviews saying they only get 15 mpg, you would have to try to get that bad, or just sit and idle all day long. I love playing with all the toys that come on it, the Sync and myford touch are not difficult to learn or use unless you have never used a computer or smart phone. It is a great car, I can't wait for winter and test out the AWD. Love it and recommend it to anyone looking at a small SUV."

Great Style... Enjoyable to drive and stylish.

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and super features"

"2013 Escape Titanium is very eye catching in Ruby Red and meets the driving safety I desired. Great features and very pleased to drive and own! The Park Assist is worth the safety and connivence and the foot activated power rear lift gate is awesome."

Do Not Buy a 2013 Ford Escape!!!!!

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "13" longer than the old version."

Cons: "Sync System, gas mileage bad!"

"Worst car I have ever owned! DO NOT BUY!!!!! Since the first week I had the car I've had problems with the sync system not connecting, the clock resets itself regularly - I can't trust the clock on the car because it's always going back an hour or 15 minutes or anywhere in between. Not to mention the gas mileage is terrible, nothing like what Ford claimed it would be. I think the worst part is that when I brought it in to have them fix the problem they tried at first and then decided that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. When you call the customer complaint line, you get someone who can only pass you to the appropriate people and the appropriate people aren't available and you can only leave a message. Turns out Ford has only one person in charge of a region and no matter how many times you call, you only end up playing phone tag with them. I do not recommend buying the 2013 Ford Escape or any of their vehicles, Ford will not stand behind any problems with the vehicles."

Well made, handles well, quiet, good power, ecnmy

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "Ford buil this well and not a bailed out company."

Cons: "Not really."

"2013 Ford Escape Titanium with tow package and all options. Only complaint is Ford should design tow package to still work with the tailgate function with foot, since the package to get this it is included then you add the tow package and you pay for it but does not function. This escape looks good, rides great, good pickup with 2.0 eco boost turbo, easy to get on the interstate and pass cars, good gas mileage averaging about 19.2 in city, was built well, no defects so far, quiet sound, rides nice, handles well. Got the Kodiak Brown, almost black depending on light of day and changes a little with different lights. Leater is nice, seats comfortable, good storage, may could use a little more cubbies to stuff extras."

Was great....until.....

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Cons: "Don't buy this is you drive in snow."

"I absolutely love this car. I love the style, the way it drives, the gas mileage. Until we got snow. I've driven Escapes for the past 8 years and have always loved how they handle the snow. But now, with the newer body style, my car sits and spins and spins and spins despite having 4WD. Not AWD or 2WD but 4WD. It's incredibly frustrating and for where I live, I need a vehicle that can drive in more than an inch of snow. Seriously debating trading this in on an older model that will actually handle snow."

Worse SUV ever!!!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Nice price for what has to offer"

Cons: "To many issues and things that don't work"

"I have had this SUV for 6 mths and has been in the garage so many times. It seems that just when I get it back it goes back in for another problem. My biggest is that if you have an iphone it does not work with the SYNC system. I have also had this system black out on me. Every time I think that it is fixed something happens again. Beside the SYNC issue I have had others that are major. Brake issues, trunk not opening or shutting, tranmisson, sensor problems, you name it and the list can go on. I'm very disappointed in the Ford product and would advise someone not to buy this SUV unless your ready to deal with issues."

Great small SUV

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "great driving vehice"

Cons: "small insde"

"We love this car. he only hing about it is, if youhave mre than one child,or pets,itis kida small. But the egineis great and so is the gas milage."

See if you qualify for