• 2014 Compact SUVs

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,489 - $23,022.

10/7.8

6.9

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

6.9/10
    7.1/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10
    7.5/10
Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Great car, good ride, poor mileage

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great pep and handling"

Cons: "Poor mileage or not getting stated mileage"

"This is a good handling car with tremendous get up and go. The mileage stated is not what I am getting, took it back to the Ford Dealer and they claim they took it for a test drive and got the stated mileage. Just came back from a 6 hour all highway trip, got 4 to 5 miles to the gallon less than stated mileage. Have to take it back to dealer and see what I can do. Really like the sync feature and the integration of my smartphone, I can even receive texts with voice."

Excellant car for my wife. Comfort, visibility.

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "Visibility, comfort, load capacity, power"

Cons: "Touch screen controls"

"Wife wanted Escape after 3 Avalons. Visibility and trunk area were 1st requirements. This is the vehicle we take on trips, both for comfort and mpg. I usually drive my 06 Explorer used for towing, but at 5'10" and 215lbs am extremely comfortable in the SEL on long trips(500m). The control knobs and touch screen need a little time to get used to, but that is minor."

Still very new but loving it so far

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

"I Traded in my 08 fusion for it and for an SUV it drives just as smooth as my car did, very nice and a lot of features in it, still have not learned all of them but it is fun playing with it. Overall I am very satisfied and happy with it."

Bad Bad Bad Gas Mileage

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

"My new 2014 FORD ESCAPE SE SUV 2WD averages only 21 MPG at best, on the same route I drove my truck and was getting 19-20 MPG with my truck. I am on the interstate most of the drive also. I am very disappointed with the mileage, it is no where near Ford's promise of 32 on highway and 25 in city. Spoke to Ford Service manager about this. He mentioned 2014 EOC boast engines were over heating and a program was added to cool engines down recently. He could not say if dropping engine temperature lower the gas mileage projections or not. Also, Cruise control requires looking down at a screen to see were you are in a menu. Needs to be simpler. If your phone is listed in link system the SUV prompts you over and over about every few miles until you link it up to your phone in the link menu, especially if using a blue tooth head set. There should be a way to limit prompts to link phone. There should be a way to exit linking system without deleting iphone off SUV if you wish to use a blue tooth device part of the time or want to take a call on your own phone. Not all calls need to be public to everyone all the time. This SUV is fun to drive otherwise with good power."

Excellent Small SUV

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Sporty drive with 2.0 engine almost a luxury SUV."

Cons: "Back seats are lackluster concerning comfort."

"Fuel economy thus far was 24 on a recent 250 highway trip. Cabin is quiet and leather heated seats provide support and comfort, Bluetooth and Navigation with voice activation work very well and the Sony sound system is very good. 2.0 turbo engine is quiet, smooth and powerful! Handling dynamics feels like a "sporty" car not a bulky SUV, ride is firm but not harsh by any means. Panoramic sunroof is also a very nice touch. Towing package allows towing of 3,600 pounds but you must forfeit backup camera and hands free lift gate. I believe Ford fixed this unacceptable compromise on all 2014 models. Overall an excellent small SUV, happy motoring!"

Loved this SUV!

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

I want this car

"I wanted to rent an SUV for a out of town family wedding and was given the 2013 Ford Escape. Absolutely loved it! Held 4 adults with luggage comfortably. Smooth, powerful,low gas mileage ride, easy to handle and great looking! Am now considering buying one."

CRV and Escape -Let the long term comparison begin

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Model S has many std features"

Cons: "Ford doesn't make many Model S versions"

"Just got a 2014 base Model S. (made in Louisville, KY) Only options 1) alloy wheels and 2) set of winter and summer floor mats. Sale price was $23600 but got $2500 in FMC rebates. I also got a reasonable trade in for my 2003 F-150 (made in Kansas City, MO) that gave me zero problems over the years. My Wife's 2014 Honda CRV has AWD, a navigation system, leather and sun roof - which explains why it cost considerably more than the Escape. Let the long term side-by-side comparison begin ... Wife says: "back-up camera is brighter in the Escape". I like the hand's free phone that connected easily to my Android. It reads incoming text messages ..."

Do not drive at night

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, handling, styling, comfort."

Cons: "Undiming dash lights and Ford's callous attitude."

"I have a '14 Ford Escape SE with blinding dash lights. According to Ford technicians, they are suppose to automatically dim in conjunction with the ambient light. For example, if it is daytime and full sun, the dash lights are full bright. Then as it gets toward dusk, the lights dim somewhat. At full night, the dash lights dim more to avoid bright lights in one's eyes. An analogy to this would be like driving at night and an oncoming car has its lights on bright beam. Then as a courtesy, the person dims the lights to the low beam. This is why I am taking Ford to task for designing a car that will not dim its dash lights as specified. I have talked to a Ford representative and that person said, "nothing is perfect, deal with it". To translate, I feel this means, we don't know how to fix it or care, and you are stuck. I would think Ford would like to have repeat costomers, but that bridge is burned and there will be no further purchase, ever. I have taken my car into the shop for a correction of this problem. They are trying to sweep me under the rug just so I will go away. Finally, they checked their lot and all the '14 Escapes have this same problem. So, a redesign of the software or hardware needs to be made and a recall/advisory made. I do not know if this will affect me as I may not have the car by then. I do not tolerate broken, non working equipment. On the positive side, the car does get good gas mileage, handles well, and looks good. Why would Ford let such a minor item ruin a car such as this?"

Reliability at its best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Quality and reliability"

Cons: "To perfect"

"Good car very good quality and reliability we alway bought toyotas but they went down so we decided to try ford and we got fusion and an escape we love both but I drive the escape and I absulutely love it it drives good and looks great and very good build quility too better than toyota by a wide margen"

Typical small SUV

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

"Likes- the power of the 1.6. The good handling. The good steering feel. Very little wind and road noise. Dislikes- The lack of ease dealing with the Synch system. It sometimes doesn't reconnect my iphone when I get back in the car. Ft. seat bottoms too short and back seats are even shorter. Handbrake takes up usable room on console."

Great Ride

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "Safety features, steering, acceleration"

Cons: "Haven't found any."

"Took delivery of 2013 Ford Escape Titanium on June 27, 2012. From the beginning, it was a delight to drive with great steering feedback and acceleration. I plan to use premium fuel for the extra 9 horsepower. Sure wish it had a digital speedometer available in the 4" display directly in front of the driver like the Chevy Cruze (with 1" tall digits). Great sound and navigation. Not as many storage options as my 2005 Honda CRV but I'll live with it. Love the foot activated tail gate which really makes my wife happy at the grocery store. The safety features are numerous and needed by all drivers."

2014 Ford Escape S

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive it"

"So far I love it. I get about 30 MPG as I drive the highway 10 times a week. I love all the features and the power and it's very comfortable. I love the rear view camera and blind spot mirrors. I love the Sync, AC, speaker system and well everything. Plenty of room for me and my pets. Have had no problems with voice activation or any of the stuff I read about in some reviews."

Awesome

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pros: "Fair price, fun to drive, Touch Pad"

"I have the SE 2.0 Ecoboost and cannot be happier with my purchase. Drives smoothly, have lots of space."

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and roomy"

Cons: "Ga mileage, "pausing" and cost"

"I purchased this vehicle after owning a 2012 Kia Sportage because it was too small and I didn't like the way it drove. The Escape is a far superior vehicle in all senses. It's great to drive, extremely zippy with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine, quite, and just overall a great vehicle. This was my first Ford and overall I am very impressed and will most likely buy another Ford. Downsides: Sometimes seems to "pause" or "stall". I can't replicate it and two different dealerships say they can't find anything wrong. It also is only getting 19 MPG average and at best only 22 MPG on the highway. It's 4WD, but should still get better mileage than that. The other downside is the cost. All Fords cost $3-6K more than comparable cars. They didn't take a bailout though from the Gov't, so I'll support the higher price. The last issue is the Navi/Sync. The navi is not very intuitive and difficult to work. The sync is a pain and doesn't always work as advertised. I do'mt use it much though, so I can't ding it too much. Overall, very happy with the car and I love to drive it!"

Disappointed with price/long term design issues.

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

"I sincerely hope I’m wrong but the Escape (2013) may be Ford’s worst nightmare. I’ve driven my Escape just over 3,000 miles and found the following design flaws; the heater seems to take forever to warm up, thank goodness it’s garage kept; there is no light surrounding or inside the ignition switch which make starting the car in the dark quite cumbersome when trying to insert the key in the ignition; under certain circumstances, when hitting pot holes, the back struts on both sides seem to be hitting the under frame; I’m not sure if this is by design or a flaw in the transmission but I’ve never driven an automobile where the transmission down shifted when going down hill and stayed in that gear when going back up the next hill, either way this feature or flaw causes high RPM (1000+ increase) on the motor which is not good for the life of the motor or gas mileage"

Nice small SUV, some disappointments

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Because of garage limitations in a townhouse, had to go with a small SUV. With the turbo, the best mileage is about 24; gas tank too small. Nice ride and pick up."

Excellent vehicle. Smooth running, versatile.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "Good ride, responsive engine, good looks."

Cons: "No serious problems."

"I have owned my titanium since October 2012, when they first came out. Haven't had a single serious issue at all. The only nitpick is that the liftgate does not always respond to the "kick" motion for opening. The vehicle runs very smoothly -- good ride, easy handling, responsive engine. I am very happy with it thus far and would recommend it."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration and MPG's"

Cons: "Bigger gas tank and mysync does not always connect"

2013 Ford Escape SEL FWD

"Leather seats are comfortable and easy to clean. 2.0L getting 28mpg no highways. Turbo is fun to drive. Have no problem passing slowpokes on 2 lane roads. Exterior is sleek and sporty. Only complaints are mysync does not recognize phone and gas tank needs a couple more gallons."

2013 Ford Escape SEL FWD

Great car/SUV

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Gas milage, comfort, intelligent 4WD system"

Cons: "Coin holder/ash tray"

"Traded in a 2006 Impala with over 140K miles. Wanted the Ford Edge, but I was going to be driving over 12K miles per year on highway. Wanted something with 4 wheel drive and comfortable AND good mileage AND American Made. Wife bought the Focus (Titanium w/AWD) a fews earlier and she loves it. We need a truck, but settled on this SUV. Love my little car/truck"

Excellent AWD that's fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quiet, comfortable, excellent AWD"

Cons: "Flaky Sync/MyFordTouch"

"I have owned this 2013 Titanium AWD (2.0 EcoBoost) for 1 year today and have used it mostly for commuting 12 miles to work (24 miles rt) per day with a few long trips >200 miles. The main thing I like about the car is its driving characteristics. It has very nimble handling and plenty of power--as close to a sporty car feel as one could get in an SUV. In addition, the cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable (I am 5'9'' and average weight) though I can see it might be tight for a bigger person. The gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg overall for the entire year--I never reset the calculation for the 2nd monitor. This is somewhat less than I had hoped for but much better than my other 4WD options (pickup truck). At least it uses regular gas. I have a long (700 ft), steep driveway and we've had a lot of snow this year. After learning how to use the AWD correctly by going very easy on the gas until it figures out how to distribute the power, I have never had a hitch getting home even in 10"-16" snow drifts. I suspect that the folks who wrote about having trouble with the AWD in snow did what I first did--tried to blast up to speed from a standstill--the so-called intelligent AWD seems to require a gradual startup from a stop to get everything engaged. Wheel spinning defeats its effectiveness. I really like the "techy" stuff this car sports. Most of it works well though the Sync stuff is fairly flaky. I can always make a hands-free phone call and that's pretty much all I care about. I cannot get the system to recognize the spoken "USB" when I try to access my iPod, so I have to do that from the touch screen. The blindside warning, rearview camera and proximity warnings are so far reliable and helpful. The HID headlights are awesome! And the foot-kick operated tailgate is much more useful than I anticipated. What would I improve? The MyFordTouch/Sync system would be better replaced by Apple's Siri. The center console is too deep for its opening. The gas mileage could be better, but that may require doing something about the weather--cold and snow do not promote high mileage. I'm not convinced of the value of 19" tires--a recent pothole event has cost me $229 for a single replacement! A somewhat bigger gas tank would be nice. Bottom line: before buying the Escape, I tested the RAV4, the CRV and the RDX, all with AWD. The Escape was by far the most fun to drive and the quietest with comfort equal to the better of the alternatives. These features continue to please and I am very happy with the car. I have recommended this version to several friends and relatives."

Best of all the compact SUV's

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "By far the most fun to drive compact suv"

Cons: "Would love just a bit more cargo space"

"I test drove the Escape, Equinox, CRV and Rav4 before deciding on the Escape. I made the right choice. Its more fun to drive, very comfortable, quiet ride and so far the fuel economy is about what I expected. The Ford Sync is a bit complicated but well worth learning because of what it can do."

Traveling Rep

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

"I drive approx 35-40k miles a year as a rep. This vehicle has adequate cockpit space, good storage pockets and drink holders. I do not use the rear seats, I fold them down for sample bags. I can load the back up with 4 large bags and still have room for my travel suit case. It is nice that there is no seam betweeen the cargo compartment and the fold at the back seats, one smooth surface from front seats all the way to the back. Sync is great to get local weather when out of town, as well as movie theaters with show times. I love the hands free aspect with my phone, make calls and rec calls while driving with the touch of a button on the steerring wheel. call is Clear on both ends. 26-27 MPG, I have the 2.0 engine. Test drove the 1.6 against the 2.0 and the pickup and smoothness with the 2.0 is undeniable. So far so GOOD."

Looks good. Drives fine. Bad on Gas

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "Looks, Sync, driveability"

Cons: "Mileage, gas tank, space"

"The new Escape SEL is a solid looking and well appointed car. Lots of new features, etc. Drives pretty good for a small SUV. I have the 1.6L Ecoboost engine and am unfortunately disappointed in the gas mileage as well as the tank size (~12 gallons). I split my time between highway and city and get about 21.4mpg, that along with the small tank means I am filling up every 180-220 miles or so. Also, while comfortable, the cab is smaller, and the trunk is also smaller than its prior model. Pretty average in the snow as well for a FWD car. Was excited to get the car, but am not blown away now."

Really not pleased

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileagge"

"This is my fourth Ford vehicle. I have many years of good service and cars from ford, except for my 2013 Escape. The mileage is real BAD! I am Getting around 16 to 17mpg and each time I call ford they say "give it a few more miles" The service department took it for a ride and said they were getting 19mpg... how they got that number I do not know. I took the same route and got no where near that. I know two other owners who are having the same problem and would like to hear from others."

Tight Escape

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great performance and good value"

Cons: "Small space for driver"

"Overall, the Escape is a great good looking performer. It has good gas mileage and a lot of power, when you need it. The larger 2.0 turbocharged engine with intelligent all wheel drive works well with the lower available gear ratio. I am getting 24 to 27 mpg while driving with the normal fast flow of highway traffic. However, this vehicle does not offer a lot of side to side room for driver. Your knees may hit the door and console if you are like me. For highway driving, the seat does go all the way back and your can stretch your legs, the telescopic steering wheel is a welcomed unexpected option. Ford could have easily pushed console over to the passenger side so the driver could have more room. But, it is a compact SUV and I am not a small person. The temperature control could be easier to adjust. I do like some of the Sync features like the phone though. Overall, I rate it an 8 out of 10."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25