• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,456 - $22,993.

10/7.8

7.1

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10

Best small SUV for the price.

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "2.0 engine, leather seats, reliability"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Test drove the CRV, Mazda 5, RAV, Sorrento, Forester. Nothing in the small SUV class will out haul or out power the marvelous 2.0 engine. I have zero brand loyalty, as a matter of fact this is the first Ford I have ever owned. Workmanship and quality, is first rate, with every possible bell and whistle option you could possibly desire and I desired them all including towing package. Every option works marvelously well. Handles better than some so called sports cars, but the ride is not harsh by any means. Cabin is quite and very comfortable on long drives. Sony stereo, Navigation, Blue tooth, Sync, works as advertised and takes minutes to understand and use. Reliability has been bullet proof thus far. Very satisfied and highly recommend. Ford has converted me into a true believer."

Excellent vehicle. Smooth running, versatile.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "Good ride, responsive engine, good looks."

Cons: "No serious problems."

"I have owned my titanium since October 2012, when they first came out. Haven't had a single serious issue at all. The only nitpick is that the liftgate does not always respond to the "kick" motion for opening. The vehicle runs very smoothly -- good ride, easy handling, responsive engine. I am very happy with it thus far and would recommend it."

Typical small SUV

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

"Likes- the power of the 1.6. The good handling. The good steering feel. Very little wind and road noise. Dislikes- The lack of ease dealing with the Synch system. It sometimes doesn't reconnect my iphone when I get back in the car. Ft. seat bottoms too short and back seats are even shorter. Handbrake takes up usable room on console."

Have this as a rental

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

I want this car

"and I don't want to give it back!!! I am hooked and have made a '2 yr plan' to purchase this exact model in the fall of 2014(love the new sleek look!)Anyone who owns one ENJOY!"

Nice design-fun to drive, but many problems.

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Looks and fun to drive"

Cons: "Mechanically a flop with nothing but problems."

"I have owned two 2013 Escapes. The first one was the Titanium Sport Utility two wheel drive with the 1.6 engine engine. After being recalled and forced to park it, traded it in for the 2.0 engine. Requested that Ford help with this financially, since my first Escape was recalled after I had owned it for only 2 weeks. Ford refused. Second Escape is being traded off today after it quit on the highway with a warning to have engine serviced now. Ford service could not find any thing wrong. This vehicle at least three times, has made a very loud clunking sound and jerked driving on the highway as if AWD was either kicking in or out. Sync system is terrible to work with. As I summarized, this vehicle is fun to drive and look at, but mechanically, it was put on the road by Ford without being fully tested on the road."

Great Ride

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

Pros: "Safety features, steering, acceleration"

Cons: "Haven't found any."

"Took delivery of 2013 Ford Escape Titanium on June 27, 2012. From the beginning, it was a delight to drive with great steering feedback and acceleration. I plan to use premium fuel for the extra 9 horsepower. Sure wish it had a digital speedometer available in the 4" display directly in front of the driver like the Chevy Cruze (with 1" tall digits). Great sound and navigation. Not as many storage options as my 2005 Honda CRV but I'll live with it. Love the foot activated tail gate which really makes my wife happy at the grocery store. The safety features are numerous and needed by all drivers."

Great car, good ride, poor mileage

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great pep and handling"

Cons: "Poor mileage or not getting stated mileage"

"This is a good handling car with tremendous get up and go. The mileage stated is not what I am getting, took it back to the Ford Dealer and they claim they took it for a test drive and got the stated mileage. Just came back from a 6 hour all highway trip, got 4 to 5 miles to the gallon less than stated mileage. Have to take it back to dealer and see what I can do. Really like the sync feature and the integration of my smartphone, I can even receive texts with voice."

2014 Ford Escape S

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive it"

"So far I love it. I get about 30 MPG as I drive the highway 10 times a week. I love all the features and the power and it's very comfortable. I love the rear view camera and blind spot mirrors. I love the Sync, AC, speaker system and well everything. Plenty of room for me and my pets. Have had no problems with voice activation or any of the stuff I read about in some reviews."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration and MPG's"

Cons: "Bigger gas tank and mysync does not always connect"

2013 Ford Escape SEL FWD

"Leather seats are comfortable and easy to clean. 2.0L getting 28mpg no highways. Turbo is fun to drive. Have no problem passing slowpokes on 2 lane roads. Exterior is sleek and sporty. Only complaints are mysync does not recognize phone and gas tank needs a couple more gallons."

2013 Ford Escape SEL FWD

Great car/SUV

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Gas milage, comfort, intelligent 4WD system"

Cons: "Coin holder/ash tray"

"Traded in a 2006 Impala with over 140K miles. Wanted the Ford Edge, but I was going to be driving over 12K miles per year on highway. Wanted something with 4 wheel drive and comfortable AND good mileage AND American Made. Wife bought the Focus (Titanium w/AWD) a fews earlier and she loves it. We need a truck, but settled on this SUV. Love my little car/truck"

Awesome

By on Saturday, March 09, 2013

Pros: "Fair price, fun to drive, Touch Pad"

"I have the SE 2.0 Ecoboost and cannot be happier with my purchase. Drives smoothly, have lots of space."

Complete Disappointment. UNSAFE VEHICLE!

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"Purchased my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium in November, 2012. Since then, I have had numerous mechanical/electronic problems. Faulty door hands, a power lift gate that didn't work, a bluetooth phone system that no one could hear me on, a radio with no sound, a defroster that didn't work secondary to radio issues, steering issues, and most recently a blown transmission. My last trip to the repair shop lasted 51 days. I am left with nothing but aggravation and what I believe to be an unreliable/unsafe vehicle. Have an ongoing case with Ford Motor Company, which has been passed through nine people - none of which have given me any support. Asking ford to repurchase my vehicle. I've had enough. Ford Motor Company should not be okay with customers paying close to 40K for a vehicle that has so many issues. My main suggested improvement is better customer service. Having my case passed through so many representatives does not make me feel like you care - it conveys the message of the complete opposite. That they do not care. Very sad. My father has worked for Ford for almost 35 years and is devastated by the trouble I have been having...and the lack of assistance available."

Disappointed with price/long term design issues.

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

"I sincerely hope I’m wrong but the Escape (2013) may be Ford’s worst nightmare. I’ve driven my Escape just over 3,000 miles and found the following design flaws; the heater seems to take forever to warm up, thank goodness it’s garage kept; there is no light surrounding or inside the ignition switch which make starting the car in the dark quite cumbersome when trying to insert the key in the ignition; under certain circumstances, when hitting pot holes, the back struts on both sides seem to be hitting the under frame; I’m not sure if this is by design or a flaw in the transmission but I’ve never driven an automobile where the transmission down shifted when going down hill and stayed in that gear when going back up the next hill, either way this feature or flaw causes high RPM (1000+ increase) on the motor which is not good for the life of the motor or gas mileage"

Reliability at its best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Quality and reliability"

Cons: "To perfect"

"Good car very good quality and reliability we alway bought toyotas but they went down so we decided to try ford and we got fusion and an escape we love both but I drive the escape and I absulutely love it it drives good and looks great and very good build quility too better than toyota by a wide margen"

Nice small SUV, some disappointments

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Because of garage limitations in a townhouse, had to go with a small SUV. With the turbo, the best mileage is about 24; gas tank too small. Nice ride and pick up."

Not the worst vehicle I've ever owned......

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Looks pretty. Nice heated seats."

Cons: "Gas hog! Trans needed repairs within 3 months."

"I bought this SUV thinking I'd have more room and comfort for trips. Forget the ecoboost improving mileage. The rear is smaller than the trunk on the Fusion I traded. Rides kinda rough. Within 3 months of having this vehicle, it was in for repairs. Needed special order of transmission parts. They told me okay to drive till parts came in....until the transmission completely slipped during a left turn at a busy intersection. Didn't know my heart could beat that fast."

Traveling Rep

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

"I drive approx 35-40k miles a year as a rep. This vehicle has adequate cockpit space, good storage pockets and drink holders. I do not use the rear seats, I fold them down for sample bags. I can load the back up with 4 large bags and still have room for my travel suit case. It is nice that there is no seam betweeen the cargo compartment and the fold at the back seats, one smooth surface from front seats all the way to the back. Sync is great to get local weather when out of town, as well as movie theaters with show times. I love the hands free aspect with my phone, make calls and rec calls while driving with the touch of a button on the steerring wheel. call is Clear on both ends. 26-27 MPG, I have the 2.0 engine. Test drove the 1.6 against the 2.0 and the pickup and smoothness with the 2.0 is undeniable. So far so GOOD."

Bad Bad Bad Gas Mileage

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

"My new 2014 FORD ESCAPE SE SUV 2WD averages only 21 MPG at best, on the same route I drove my truck and was getting 19-20 MPG with my truck. I am on the interstate most of the drive also. I am very disappointed with the mileage, it is no where near Ford's promise of 32 on highway and 25 in city. Spoke to Ford Service manager about this. He mentioned 2014 EOC boast engines were over heating and a program was added to cool engines down recently. He could not say if dropping engine temperature lower the gas mileage projections or not. Also, Cruise control requires looking down at a screen to see were you are in a menu. Needs to be simpler. If your phone is listed in link system the SUV prompts you over and over about every few miles until you link it up to your phone in the link menu, especially if using a blue tooth head set. There should be a way to limit prompts to link phone. There should be a way to exit linking system without deleting iphone off SUV if you wish to use a blue tooth device part of the time or want to take a call on your own phone. Not all calls need to be public to everyone all the time. This SUV is fun to drive otherwise with good power."

Best of all the compact SUV's

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "By far the most fun to drive compact suv"

Cons: "Would love just a bit more cargo space"

"I test drove the Escape, Equinox, CRV and Rav4 before deciding on the Escape. I made the right choice. Its more fun to drive, very comfortable, quiet ride and so far the fuel economy is about what I expected. The Ford Sync is a bit complicated but well worth learning because of what it can do."

Excellent Vehicle & Fun to Drive

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Looks, smooth ride, acceleration"

Cons: "nothing"

"After test driving every small suv, I stopped in a ford dealership to see what the buzz was all about over the echo drive. I was impressed with the power and overall acceleration the vehicle had, which also gets great gas milage. Ford has come along way and have always purchased a honda. Very impressed and would recommend this vehicle to others. Fun to drive as well. Dan"

Still very new but loving it so far

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

"I Traded in my 08 fusion for it and for an SUV it drives just as smooth as my car did, very nice and a lot of features in it, still have not learned all of them but it is fun playing with it. Overall I am very satisfied and happy with it."

CRV and Escape -Let the long term comparison begin

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Model S has many std features"

Cons: "Ford doesn't make many Model S versions"

"Just got a 2014 base Model S. (made in Louisville, KY) Only options 1) alloy wheels and 2) set of winter and summer floor mats. Sale price was $23600 but got $2500 in FMC rebates. I also got a reasonable trade in for my 2003 F-150 (made in Kansas City, MO) that gave me zero problems over the years. My Wife's 2014 Honda CRV has AWD, a navigation system, leather and sun roof - which explains why it cost considerably more than the Escape. Let the long term side-by-side comparison begin ... Wife says: "back-up camera is brighter in the Escape". I like the hand's free phone that connected easily to my Android. It reads incoming text messages ..."

Looks good. Drives fine. Bad on Gas

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "Looks, Sync, driveability"

Cons: "Mileage, gas tank, space"

"The new Escape SEL is a solid looking and well appointed car. Lots of new features, etc. Drives pretty good for a small SUV. I have the 1.6L Ecoboost engine and am unfortunately disappointed in the gas mileage as well as the tank size (~12 gallons). I split my time between highway and city and get about 21.4mpg, that along with the small tank means I am filling up every 180-220 miles or so. Also, while comfortable, the cab is smaller, and the trunk is also smaller than its prior model. Pretty average in the snow as well for a FWD car. Was excited to get the car, but am not blown away now."

Hands down waay better than Rav4, CR-V or Equinox

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

Pros: "Power, lot of options, Japanese-like build quality"

Cons: "outward swinging wipers arent the best, rear space"

"I bought a brand-new Escape Titanium 4WD after trying out all the other SUVs in the same category (Nissan Rogue, Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5). This car is amazing. I opted for the bigger Ecoboost engine which delivers 240 horsepower. Folks this is the same exact engine that Land Rover uses in the Land Rover Evoque base models. It delivers plenty of horsepower for lively, spirited acceleration. The interior has great build quality. The car came factory equipped with an optional remote starter which is awesome. There's a 390 watt Sony stereo. The navigation system works great everytime. The voice activation doesn't always work perfectly but that's a minor issue. I'm still learning to use all the features of Ford Sync system but so far it's been great. Love this car and highly recommend it."

Very nice small SUV

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Quiet, powerful and good looking."

Cons: "no backup camera in my 2013."

"I am more impressed with this vehicle every day. The complaints about Sync/Myfordtouch are just learning problems. The car is very quiet and powerful. Titanium 2.0 liter 2 wheel drive. The mileage is as expected. I can get the advertised mileage but it takes some work. That is true for every car. It is reasonably comfortable but could be better"

See if you qualify for