• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,552 - $23,085.

10/7.8

7.1

Based on 138 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10

The worst car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Reason: Bad gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems.

Pros: "I loved the panoramic roof."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems."

"Back in 2004, I wanted to buy an Escape. I bought a Honda Odyssey instead, which turned out to be the best "daddy car" ever. I ran it into the ground (180K miles), but always thought the Escape looked cooler. So when it came time to trade the Odyssey in, I went back to the Escape and immediately bought the first car I found that had all the options I was looking for. The next week I had to bring it in for an engine fire recall--the THIRD one for the 2013 Escape. That got my attention. The idea was to hand the Escape over to my son once he started college. How could I do that with a car that had a history of engine fires? More importantly, I got AWFUL gas mileage. Where it's rated at 30 on the highway, I got a highway average of 23.7 and a city average of 19.3. I got better mileage with my Odyssey, which was a bigger, heavier car! I put an average of 2,000 miles a month on the Escape, and I was going to the gas station every 2-4 days. It was costing me a fortune. The hands free lift gate is a big selling point with this car, but it doesn't work. I spent a lot of time kicking the back of the car trying to get it to open. Eventually I gave up and started using the key. The other annoying thing was that the gate never closed completely, and I would have to get, go outside, and kick the gate shut. The touch feature on the doors rarely worked either, especially if it was wet or cold outside. I ended up going to the key fob most of the time to open the car, too. The Sync system was the most annoying feature of the entire car. It rarely ever worked. Forget about having it look up a restaurant or a point of interest (POI) that was more than a mile or two away. It was completely incapable of doing that. I learned to check the directions it gave me with the Maps function on my iPhone because most of the time there was an easier way that was more directed, avoided heavy traffic, or was free from tolls. If I wanted to hear a song on my iPod, forget that, too. That was too complicated for it. I owned my Escape for a year, and there wasn't a day when I didn't tell myself that I hated that car. I finally got rid of it this weekend, and it's probably the first time I wasn't sad. There were a few good memories in that car, but they were completely unrelated to the car itself. In fact, my favorite moment may have been when I saw it in the rearview mirror of my new car as I drove away. And the kicker? My new Prius has more trunk space! If you like the newest thing and money and gas mileage aren't important to you, you might enjoy the Escape. Avoid the Sync system, if possible, and forget that the hands free lift system is even there."

Very nice small SUV

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Quiet, powerful and good looking."

Cons: "no backup camera in my 2013."

"I am more impressed with this vehicle every day. The complaints about Sync/Myfordtouch are just learning problems. The car is very quiet and powerful. Titanium 2.0 liter 2 wheel drive. The mileage is as expected. I can get the advertised mileage but it takes some work. That is true for every car. It is reasonably comfortable but could be better"

My favorite little car

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "good power, looks, driving dynamics, technology"

Cons: "no coin holder in center counsel"

"I've had my ford escape for 9 months and i cannot think of a better car in this segment. i wanted a car that was as youthful as i and this was the one. this is far beyond my expectations and i recommend it to everyone i know that's looking for a new car."

Good First SUV

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, Comfortable, SYNC"

Cons: "Sound for BU Camera, Fog Lamps, Storage Cover"

"I was looking for my first SUV. In New York everyone owns a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai. I picked the Ford Escape. This is my first lease (for 2 years), and I am happy with my choice. I have the 2014 Base Model Ford Escape. I have had no problems with the SYNC system at all. It has taken some getting used to but now that I understand it works great. I leased my new vehicle. You get a new car every few years and you no longer have to worry about maintenance. I love the fact that you can control the speed and features of other drives through the administrative key. THE CONS: There should be fog lights standard as well as a sound for the back up camera. the screen for the mileage and trip information needs to be easier to use. The seats are not power controlled if only the drives side. The cover for the cargo area should be standard or at least a cargo net. The rear seat could be better with a slide back for more leg room in the rear area. The small cargo space under the passenger seat is useless to a lone driver. All in all these things can be fixed on the next redo..... I hope!!!"

2014 Ford Escape S

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive it"

"So far I love it. I get about 30 MPG as I drive the highway 10 times a week. I love all the features and the power and it's very comfortable. I love the rear view camera and blind spot mirrors. I love the Sync, AC, speaker system and well everything. Plenty of room for me and my pets. Have had no problems with voice activation or any of the stuff I read about in some reviews."