• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,512 - $23,087.

10/7.8

7.1

Based on 145 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10

Fun, Fun, Fun!

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well in weather, nice power"

Cons: "Cabin space is small, electronics are weak."

"I have the 2013 2.0 liter turbo charged version of this car. The good: This car is a blast to drive. The first weekend I had it I woke up early Saturday morning just to drive it around for hours. Its been a year and I still love to drive it. It handles like a car and acceleration is not an issue thanks to the huge power boost the turbo provides. It gets around well in the snow (mine is 2WD) and is sturdy in heavy rain. The controls for the radio and cruise control are well placed. The bad: Seems small inside. My wife and I bump into each other getting drinks from the cup holder. The much talked about Ford Sync is not very impressive especially if you are used to an iPhone or Android device. In comparison the Sync is like going back to a flip phone. There is a USB slot near the charger but plugging anything into it other than their limited list of devices wreaks havoc on the computer. I plugged in a Galaxy tablet to charge and the entire car computer crashed. I had to shut the car off and restart it twice before it came back. Do I recommend this car? Absolutely. These little things are really nothing in the grand scheme of it all. This car is a winner."

Great so far with minor issues

By on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Pros: "gas millage, very fun to drive, looks"

Cons: "NO WHERE FOR COINS, issues with some interior trim"

"I bought my 2013 Ford Escape SEL slightly used to replace a gas guzzler GMC Envoy. I have now owned pretty much every SUV/Crossover Ford makes Explorer, Excursion, Expedition, Edge and now the Escape. Out of all of them I place only the Edge above this one as far as being fun to drive. I originally was not shopping for this car I went to the dealership for a used Fusion. I test drove both and and in the end decided the Escape while not quite as efficient as the Fusion was a better driving experience for me at least I prefer sitting up a little. First thing I noticed was the 2.0 turbo 4 banger. It does not feel like a 4 cylinder at all. Great acceleration fells as powerful as the 6 cylinder I loved in my Edge but feel is a little sluggish in my 2013 Explorer. The interior is pretty comfortable nice leather seats and cushioned surfaces on the door panels. Lots of cup holders and cubbies. The AC is great much better than my previous Edge. It feels bigger to me on the inside than it looks on the outside granted the back seat does feel a little cramped but the front is fine for average height adults. I love the panoramic moon roof and the MyTouch Sync works great. I am getting an average of 24 MPG which is about what I was hoping for. No mechanical issues so far. Did I mention how much I love the 2.0 Turbo engine? It really is very fun to drive feels and handles almost like a small sports car. Ok for my complaints. First the center console is horrible. It is small and deep and there is no where for COINS! I plan on buying an insert to fix this I have seen online. I have two interior trim issues that I need to get fixed. One is a small piece of trim that holds the glove box closed one side broke off so my glove box is only held closed on one side. The other is something broke on the interior door panel of the back hatch it is only connected on one side. This was rattling driving me crazy until i figured out what it was and temporarily fixed it with the universal tool duct tape. Thank God I am getting decent gas millage because the tank is tiny! Not a huge deal for me but something I wished was improved. There is some minor rattles seems like it is mostly connected to the moon roof. Nothing that makes me want to max the stereo volume or anything. Overall I am happy with the escape. If I had it to do over I may go with the Edge again which has been the favorite of all my cars but the Escape does get a little better gas milage and that was my primary concern. Btw incase you couldn't tell I am a Ford guy through and through the GMC I bought that was replaced by this vehicle will be my last "cheat" on Ford."

Love this vehicle

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "Amazingly convenient and useful electronics"

Cons: "A little buzzy inside (but not bad)"

"I've had a lot of higher-end cars recently but got this as a second car largely to be used to ferry our old dog and our teenage soccer playing son. I fell in love with this vehicle however! It's fun to drive and I've never had a car whose electronics do so much for you and so intuitively. One paddle activates the voice recognition (which works almost flawlessly), the Navi, the audio system, everything. You don't have to take your eyes off the road for anything. The touchscreen controls are very easy to understand (Miscrosoft designed the system I understand) and extremely useful. The car will literally park itself for you (it takes the wheel). OK: it's not a European touring sedan so it's not as quiet as a $60,000 car and you maybe get a little more 'road feel' to your backside then you might like if you're used to those cars. However, I AM used to those cars (and still own a 2014 Audi Q5) and prefer driving this little Ford."

Issues that Ford idenified as Standard for Vehicle

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Cost of the Car"

Cons: "Eveything else"

"When the Service Department tells you that it is standard for the hood of the vehicle to visually vibrate then there is a problem. When two dealership technician does not know the basic on how the SYNC system works and the system is blinking off then there is a problem. And when Ford agrees that this is how the vehicle is suppose to operate!!! Enough said!!!"

Awesome vehicle!

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive with good handling, utility, economy"

Cons: "seats 4 adults and a few small bags in the back"

"Great mileage, very good utility and quality, all at a great price."

Nice car with lots of issues

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Styling, interior."

Cons: "12+ recalls, difficult service."

"This car has never let us down on the road; however, it has received 12+ recalls (#13 pending). It is light years ahead of the old model in style and interior. Engineers for this car should be spanked, though. Look under the hood in one; it is a nightmare and I'm sure the service techs cringe when one comes in. To change the battery, need to completely remove the air intake box and computer module; battery, along with other stuff, is tucked way back under the cowl. A service tech on Youtube rated this one of the most difficult to replace oil filter on. Cheap plastic connections. I really do not have confidence in long term for this car. Reluctantly, it will be traded when paid for. Too bad; I really liked the car and wanted to believe in Ford (my first new one)."

Best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot.

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pros: "Comfort and reliability plus all the amenities!"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better."

"Handles and responds like a dream. Ford scored a home run on this vehicle! I would certainly buy another Escape."

should have never bought

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "air vents that open to your legs in the front seat"

Cons: "mileage comfort quality mileage oh and mileage"

"I have owned for over a year now, best mileage I have ever received was 24.9 and I drove highway all day everyday. The only reason I bought this car was because of the mileage. drive more than 30 min and my legs fall asleep, cheap, 1st month of use when I closed the back hatch with the pull down handle I ripped the entire interior door off. very squirrely on the road if there is any wind you will be white knuckling it for sure and small wheel movement makes you feel like your gonna flip it"

Great car with eco-boost wonderful pickup

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cons: "I don't have the back up camera"

"Love it!"

so far so good

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "good styling, good gas mileage & fun to drive"

Cons: "leg room"

"I bought my 2014 SE in Nov. 2013, ans so far very happy with my purchase. My only complaint is leg room. I am 6'2 and wish front console was not so big...I think a smaller person would be ok. 12000 miles and no problems what so ever, ride is very comfortable and milage around 26 city. I am very pleased with my Escape so far."

Has been such a disappointment from the very first

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "Very attractive car"

Cons: "unrelaible"

"Had an Edge--favorite car ever. Thought if I traded for the "smaller sister" I would get better mileage. False. Gave up space, power, comfort for the exact same mileage! Nothing like the Edge. Smaller. Less comfortable. Gazillion trips to service for recalls and warranty work."

Should have taken a longer test drive before buyin

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "the blind spot side mirrors and back up camera"

Cons: "everything"

"Air cond. vents are too high on dash to be comfort for a short person, seat belt buckle is too close to middle console when buckled its uncomfortable, seats are hard, not very big cargo area, small leg roomfor back seat passengers, and not getting mpg promised on sticker. Sorry that I ever traded my Cruize. Have drove Ram Charger, three different Jeeps and Silverado truck; so its not like I don't have experience with SUV/4 wheel vehicles"

The color is Ruby Red, the car is perfect.

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Pros: "very safe car, good gas milage with the EgoBoost"

Cons: "none."

"This car came with the 302A package, it cost $36,000.00, brand new. It is beautiful, my wife wants to go bigger like an Explorer.Probally has 20 coats of Maguires wax on it, garage kept."

Air Conditioner problems!!!

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Quiet ride, good pickup."

Cons: "Air conditioning problems."

"Initially purchased to replace a seven year old Honda CR-V. Loved the way the Ford drove and the power from the 2.0 turbo engine. Smooth and quiet ride. However, after just 5500 miles we began to have air conditioner problems. Would not cool, spit water from the vents, and stopped working altogether. The Dealer performed a TBS service on it and it ran for another day then stopped. Car is once again at the dealers awaiting repair. I have read that this is a common problem with these vehicles and I would not recommend them. If this is the kind of problems we will encounter during the life of the vehicle I am not happy. Especially in Florida, and needing the car to attend medical treatments this is unacceptable."

Except for the Ford Synch it is a great car.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive the 2.0 turbo four-wheel drive"

Cons: "Don't by a ford with synch!"

"Ford is a good auto; we have bought our last 6 cars from them. However, the Ford Synch is a hassle and not user friendly! Funny, you need a key in your pocket to open the keyless entry!"

Beautiful red Escape, with everything on it.

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "want to go a little bigger."

"Has at least 30 coats of wax on it, the car is in perfect shape."

Great car; great mileage; handles well

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Great car for the money; nice ride."

Cons: "Glove compartment poorly designed; not functional."

"I purchased the titanium fully loaded. The car is comfortable to drive and I commute 100 miles/day. It gets an average 27 mpg with 32 mpg if just driving highway. My complaints are minor. The glove compartment imbetween the 2 front seats is poorly designed. It is impossible to plug in a usb or adapter without taking everything out. The backup camera is great. The blind spot lights are helpful, but would be better with sound. Overall the care drives very well."

Second Escape - great small SUV

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "Good power and lots of room."

"I loved my first Escape (2005), so chose to stick with this vehicle. After my salesman tried to add $1,000 in "extras" onto my Internet price, could it be that I am a woman???, he finally took it back off. I had to have my windshield redone, alot of wind noise, and my gas mileage immediately improved. I average about 25/26 in town, 27/28 on the highway. My hatch handle and liner came out, they just tightened the screws again and so far so good. But I love the car, love the Bluetooth, and especially that I can plug in my ipod. I have as much power in this 4 cyl compared to my previous 6 cyl. I really have no complaints."

Quality of ride doesn't make up for poor interior

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "fun comfortable ride."

Cons: "interior design, storage space, gas milage."

"I drove a rental, fully loaded, up and down the east coast, about 3000 miles in all. This Car handled well both on the highway and on winding side roads, with plenty of power for passing and comfortable enough to spend all day driving. While it was a fun comfortable ride I would never buy one. I was very disappointed with the interior. The center counsel was large and protruding but with virtually no functional storage for a wallet, cellphone, or snacks. The audio controls were hard to reach and the CD slot was out of reach. there was far less storage room in the back with the seats up than I had hoped for, a suitcase, two duffle bags and a small color and it was full to capacity. the gas mileage was also disappointing, a little over 200 miles per tank."

As a small crossover it is awesome

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "small but still can pack alot of stuff in it"

Cons: "Too small of center console"

"I have had about everything you can think of, I sold my 2004 Dodge Viper today so kind of been around the block with cars. I was driving everyday Ford F150's Lariat trim but went to this Escape for mileage as I was driving 128 miles per day. I have been totally amazed with this vehicle. The one that I own has basically every option that I know you can get on one and in less than a year have 32K mileage and have had zero problems and no complaints. Maybe I got lucky."

Titanium AWD 2.0 liter/10,000 mile update

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

I own this car

Pros: "tight european drive, mileage, mytouch"

Cons: "seats firm- I like, but may not appeal to some"

"Now at 10,000 miles for a titanium 4WD 2.0 I bought in April of 2014.I drive 80 miles a day round trip in commuting including winding hills and some interstate mixed driving. Mileage now 26.5 mpg. Not bad at all, and exactly as advertised. Continues to hug the road as if it is a much more expensive sports car.Excellent acceleration. No rattles or squeaks. My touch has worked flawlessly. Never a problem."

Great value for cost.

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Great pick up for getting into heavy traffic"

Cons: "No power passenger seat"

"Handles well, good pickup, 30 MPH on interstate, 27 around town. Needs to have power passenger seat. Curve of seats on long trip is narrow and bothers upper portion of leg if tall. Overall excellent value for cost of vehicle."

Best vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Great price,fun to drive"

Cons: "Somewhat noisy on rough roads"

"One of the best cars ever.compact yet has good room a cargo size. Sync and Eco boost make it one of the best in the industry"

Terrible gas mpg, despite advertised MPG

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Horrible gas mileage"

"Bough the Ford Titanium, 2.0 Eco-boost at the end of June, 2014. Since my first fill up from the dealer, at which point, the car had 46 miles already on it, I've had to fill the car three more times and I'm only averaging about 16 mpg. Had it to the dealership where I was told that I needed to give it a few more gas tanks full in order to get an accurate mpg and to let the engine "break in." Despite the fact that the owner's manual states the engine break in period of 1000 miles, the service manager stated 7000 miles. Seriously? In addition, the rear control arms are not treated or seal coated so there is already rust forming on them, which after a good soaking rain, leaves a nice little rust puddle in my garage and stains it permanently. Nice...real nice. Other than that, I enjoy driving the car but don't know if I'll ever consider buying another Ford and if the gas mileage doesn't start coming up relatively soon, I may trade out of it since I expected much better mileage out of the gate than 16 mpg. I'm getting roughly 200 miles to the 15 gallon tank on my vehicle and that's just incredulous to me for a 4 cylinder vehicle. My husband's 6 cylinder and heavier car, gets better gas mileage than mine. P.S. If you're thinking that the "Hands free" liftgate is a great feature, be prepared as it only works very sporadically."

Great SUV. Reliable

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Best vehicle owned"

"Ford products are the highest quality on the planet for the money"