• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,720 - $23,239.

10/7.8

7.2

Based on 128 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.6/10

Second Escape - great small SUV

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "Good power and lots of room."

"I loved my first Escape (2005), so chose to stick with this vehicle. After my salesman tried to add $1,000 in "extras" onto my Internet price, could it be that I am a woman???, he finally took it back off. I had to have my windshield redone, alot of wind noise, and my gas mileage immediately improved. I average about 25/26 in town, 27/28 on the highway. My hatch handle and liner came out, they just tightened the screws again and so far so good. But I love the car, love the Bluetooth, and especially that I can plug in my ipod. I have as much power in this 4 cyl compared to my previous 6 cyl. I really have no complaints."

Quality of ride doesn't make up for poor interior

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "fun comfortable ride."

Cons: "interior design, storage space, gas milage."

"I drove a rental, fully loaded, up and down the east coast, about 3000 miles in all. This Car handled well both on the highway and on winding side roads, with plenty of power for passing and comfortable enough to spend all day driving. While it was a fun comfortable ride I would never buy one. I was very disappointed with the interior. The center counsel was large and protruding but with virtually no functional storage for a wallet, cellphone, or snacks. The audio controls were hard to reach and the CD slot was out of reach. there was far less storage room in the back with the seats up than I had hoped for, a suitcase, two duffle bags and a small color and it was full to capacity. the gas mileage was also disappointing, a little over 200 miles per tank."

As a small crossover it is awesome

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "small but still can pack alot of stuff in it"

Cons: "Too small of center console"

"I have had about everything you can think of, I sold my 2004 Dodge Viper today so kind of been around the block with cars. I was driving everyday Ford F150's Lariat trim but went to this Escape for mileage as I was driving 128 miles per day. I have been totally amazed with this vehicle. The one that I own has basically every option that I know you can get on one and in less than a year have 32K mileage and have had zero problems and no complaints. Maybe I got lucky."

Titanium AWD 2.0 liter/10,000 mile update

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

I own this car

Pros: "tight european drive, mileage, mytouch"

Cons: "seats firm- I like, but may not appeal to some"

"Now at 10,000 miles for a titanium 4WD 2.0 I bought in April of 2014.I drive 80 miles a day round trip in commuting including winding hills and some interstate mixed driving. Mileage now 26.5 mpg. Not bad at all, and exactly as advertised. Continues to hug the road as if it is a much more expensive sports car.Excellent acceleration. No rattles or squeaks. My touch has worked flawlessly. Never a problem."

Great value for cost.

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Great pick up for getting into heavy traffic"

Cons: "No power passenger seat"

"Handles well, good pickup, 30 MPH on interstate, 27 around town. Needs to have power passenger seat. Curve of seats on long trip is narrow and bothers upper portion of leg if tall. Overall excellent value for cost of vehicle."

Best vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Great price,fun to drive"

Cons: "Somewhat noisy on rough roads"

"One of the best cars ever.compact yet has good room a cargo size. Sync and Eco boost make it one of the best in the industry"

Terrible gas mpg, despite advertised MPG

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Horrible gas mileage"

"Bough the Ford Titanium, 2.0 Eco-boost at the end of June, 2014. Since my first fill up from the dealer, at which point, the car had 46 miles already on it, I've had to fill the car three more times and I'm only averaging about 16 mpg. Had it to the dealership where I was told that I needed to give it a few more gas tanks full in order to get an accurate mpg and to let the engine "break in." Despite the fact that the owner's manual states the engine break in period of 1000 miles, the service manager stated 7000 miles. Seriously? In addition, the rear control arms are not treated or seal coated so there is already rust forming on them, which after a good soaking rain, leaves a nice little rust puddle in my garage and stains it permanently. Nice...real nice. Other than that, I enjoy driving the car but don't know if I'll ever consider buying another Ford and if the gas mileage doesn't start coming up relatively soon, I may trade out of it since I expected much better mileage out of the gate than 16 mpg. I'm getting roughly 200 miles to the 15 gallon tank on my vehicle and that's just incredulous to me for a 4 cylinder vehicle. My husband's 6 cylinder and heavier car, gets better gas mileage than mine. P.S. If you're thinking that the "Hands free" liftgate is a great feature, be prepared as it only works very sporadically."

Great SUV. Reliable

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Best vehicle owned"

"Ford products are the highest quality on the planet for the money"

I love this car and hate to get rid of it!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Has all of the options, great car to drive"

Cons: "I can't think of any Cons"

"I am handicapped and due to a recent hip replacement had to switch out my electric scooter which was carried on a rear hitch lift for an electric wheelchair which is much heavier. I have to buy a customized handicapped van."

Best SUV I have ever driven

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive-Powerfull"

Cons: "Price a little steep for Titaniun model"

"drives like a car. Gets great gas mileage. Echo boost engine has incredible performance for a 4cyl. I love the intelligent 4 wheel drive, works great. Driven in snow, mud, ice, and never got stuck. Stereo system is amazing! Rich deep bass to where you can actually feel the thump in your chest! Has been very reliable. Drives and shifts very smoothly. Great cargo room"

Nice, "Cool" Vehicle w/ "Over-Tech'ed" Gremlins

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Utility. Driveability. Looks/Style."

Cons: "Reliability. Mileage. Price"

"Bought new 10mo. ago. 15K mi. Fully loaded Turbo 2.0 "Ecoboost" Titanium model. HIGHS: Power, layout/utility, drive-ability/responsiveness/"feel," "looks." LOWS: RELIABILITY: Already 3 Recalls for minor things; BUT also five(5!) times back because of "Engine Fault/Have Serviced" light w/ eng. running very rough at low speed BUT no "Fault" codes stored. Dlr thinks FINALLY solved trouble via Tech. Svs. Bulletin/TSB info, but also installed Engine Data Recorder for us to drive w/ for "few weeks" just to make sure. MILEAGE: NOT great for small engine (lucky if 25mph on highway). SUNROOF&VENT: Vent that only opens 1/2"(!) is pretty stupid in this expensive(!) option! MSRP: TOO HIGH! LIKE TOO MANY VEHICLES, new Titanium Escape is another example of manufacturers pushing too far/fast to comply w/ mandated fuel econ., still keeping good power. I.e., squeezing too much from small motors via "high tech" W/O enough testing time of associated electronics!"

I Love my Escape, I look for reasons to drive it.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Love driving it, quiet smooth fun!"

Cons: "Center console storage is not well designed."

"I have the 2014 Escape SE AWD 1.6L Ecoboost engine with Leather, I look forward to driving it, and look for any reason to drive it. It is quiet and smooth, but has power when you want it. Gas mileage is great, it is up to you and how you drive to get the mileage advertized! I have seen reviews saying they only get 15 mpg, you would have to try to get that bad, or just sit and idle all day long. I love playing with all the toys that come on it, the Sync and myford touch are not difficult to learn or use unless you have never used a computer or smart phone. It is a great car, I can't wait for winter and test out the AWD. Love it and recommend it to anyone looking at a small SUV."

Nice vehicle for a small truck.

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "I consider this a best in class small SUV"

Cons: "A bit small cargo area for an SUV"

"I have a 4wd ecoboost 2.0 which I traded a 2007 Ford Mustang for. Before the 2007 Mustang I had a 2000 Mustang GT. I was concerned the Escape would not have enough power. I am pleased that I was wrong. Great performance. It does not spin the wheels like my GT but is very peppy. The ride is a little stiff like the GT but is to be expected in a small truck which this technically is. I am 6'2" and weight 240 lbs and find the front seats comfortable. The back seat is a little small for me. The only downside to this vehicle is a rather small payload area, even with the seats down. There is a learning curve on the options for the transmission and the console electronics. I also wish I had the upgraded sound system which I had in my Mustangs. The 4wd version is a little louder than than the 2wd version. I also have to be careful to not take turns as fast as I could in the Mustang as this vehicle is a little taller and not as wide."

Very Nice

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "comfort, spacious"

Cons: "MPG"

"I do love this vehicle. Going around town gets me 30 mpg, but onthe Texas highway allowing 80 mph, the mpg nears 25. Comfort is top notch."

love, love love this car

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing so far and I've had it over a year."

"I traded my 08 escape for the 2013 and I just love the look of the new design. It has a classier look and design. The interior is superb. I would want anything else."

Do not buy if you have kids

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "at least i have a car"

Cons: "uncomfortable, cheap interior, poor heat/AC"

"I have owned this car for 5 months. The back seat of my SE is hard, about 2 inches in thickness, and the fabric is already looking saggy. The front seat is not very big or comfy, and I'm 140 lbs, so I don't require much room. I live in an area that gets down to -10 degrees sometimes. It takes me about 30 minutes to heat up the cabin. My mileage has been poor despite the fact that I drive 36 highway miles daily. The gas tank isn't very big, so I am constantly standing out in the cold getting gas. The handle inside of the driver's door is already looking worn and I'm not rough on cars. The brake pedal does not push down smoothly. It kind of bumps down. The cabin is noisy. Me and my kids are constantly having to yell to be heard. For what you pay, you get a cheap jalopy with a screen, and a hands-free program where people say "are you there?" when you re talking. I have been finding spider webs in my car, but haven't found the spider yet."

2.0 liter 4WD 2014 Titanium 3500 mile update

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Great feel driving, European in style and drive"

Cons: "Foot activated rear door opener touchy when dirty"

"Now at 3500 miles. Mileage continues to improve, now 26mpg in mixed driving. Mytouch has worked flawlessly and is fun to use. The car continues to drive like a European sports car--very tight on curves, solid a pleasure to drive. Quiet, no rattles or squeaks. Have driven several friends who own BMW who were surprised it was a Ford and assumed it was a German car. No mechanical problems.One of the best vehilces I have owned in my 30 years of driving."

I love my Escape

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "myfordtouch, sync"

Cons: "stereo sound, back seats don't adjust"

"I absolutely love my escape, I have the SE with the 2.0 ecoboost and 8" MY FORD TOUCH and sync. This SUV handled very well this past winter with the Automatic 4wd. I averaged 24 mpg all winter, mainly from the 15 min warm ups before I left anywhere. But now that it is nice outside I am getting closer to 28 MPG and I've gotten 30mpg on the highway. Great gas mileage without any sacrifice of power, it can get up and go when I need it to. I also have towed around 2000 lbs without any problems. I would recommend over and over again."

Complete Disappointment. UNSAFE VEHICLE!

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"Purchased my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium in November, 2012. Since then, I have had numerous mechanical/electronic problems. Faulty door hands, a power lift gate that didn't work, a bluetooth phone system that no one could hear me on, a radio with no sound, a defroster that didn't work secondary to radio issues, steering issues, and most recently a blown transmission. My last trip to the repair shop lasted 51 days. I am left with nothing but aggravation and what I believe to be an unreliable/unsafe vehicle. Have an ongoing case with Ford Motor Company, which has been passed through nine people - none of which have given me any support. Asking ford to repurchase my vehicle. I've had enough. Ford Motor Company should not be okay with customers paying close to 40K for a vehicle that has so many issues. My main suggested improvement is better customer service. Having my case passed through so many representatives does not make me feel like you care - it conveys the message of the complete opposite. That they do not care. Very sad. My father has worked for Ford for almost 35 years and is devastated by the trouble I have been having...and the lack of assistance available."

2013 Ford Escape SE Great car for the price

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Turbo Boost, New Body style"

Cons: "Poor Ride, Poor design of tailgate, Poor lighting"

"I have driven my SE for 1500 miles at this first review. Pro Body Styling great Dash board cool looking Gas Mileage as expected 28 - 32 Highway have not only driven it in town yet, and don't expect t much. Easy access and you sit up higher then a car. Turbo allows this 4 CY to act like a 6 CY when required. Con Ride is fair minus when I am not driving and try to keep my head on the head rest, my head bounces all the time during highway driving. Read tailgate allows dirt to blow under it so that when you open the gate, there is always dirt on the shelf below the tailgate. Poor design Plastic wheel covers (Come On - Ford - That is Cheap) No directionals on outside mirrors - that should be standard for an SUV. Diming mirrors (inside and out) should be standard. Seats are hard but yet after sitting all day you don't care. Poor Lighting inside - you need an additional light in the rear by the tailgate and a light should be on the outside mirrors when you get out at night.Rp"

Style is great, 7+ recalls not so great

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "great service dept, sales staff no so great"

Cons: "frontseats 2narrow, like the witht of older Escape"

"The EPS system is awful, car drifts esp in cross winds, and slightly (2 lbs) lower tire pressure on one side effects driving and car drifts, 1.6L is underpowered and dangerous when passing speed is needed and it's slow to react. AC has stopped working twice, fan runs but no air, dealership unable to find problem, have to stop car for at least 5 min and then it resets and works again. Rough ride and still wind noise inside"

Best small SUV for the price.

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "2.0 engine, leather seats, reliability"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Test drove the CRV, Mazda 5, RAV, Sorrento, Forester. Nothing in the small SUV class will out haul or out power the marvelous 2.0 engine. I have zero brand loyalty, as a matter of fact this is the first Ford I have ever owned. Workmanship and quality, is first rate, with every possible bell and whistle option you could possibly desire and I desired them all including towing package. Every option works marvelously well. Handles better than some so called sports cars, but the ride is not harsh by any means. Cabin is quite and very comfortable on long drives. Sony stereo, Navigation, Blue tooth, Sync, works as advertised and takes minutes to understand and use. Reliability has been bullet proof thus far. Very satisfied and highly recommend. Ford has converted me into a true believer."

Does everything I need it to and some!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"I always get compliments on how the vehicle looks. It handles turns and rough roads with no problems. The vehicle runs great towing a trailer. The engine has some kick to it and the turbo lag is hardly noticeable. The interior is great, although I wish it had somewhere to hold coins. It sounds good when driving I am getting 21.9 mpg with all city driving. Definitely a Vehicle I would recommend."

I love this vehicle

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "mileage, 4WD, size"

"The 4 WD is great in the desert where I live. the vehicle has got plenty of room for me (6'2") and enough room in back for a trip to the lumber yard. I really enjoy the automatic tail gate. Ride is good and gas mileage is good (25 mpg overall average)"

Terrific vehicle, like small BMW SUV but cost less

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "superior interior, fit and finish, agile,"

Cons: "none really so far"

"First impressions Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 liter engine now 250 miles on it Incredible interior, european feel and quality agile sporty driving mileage is fine, 23.5 in mixed with a lot of hills, no highways yet and not broken in yet My touch and sync took 15 minutes to master and is great--what is the negative hype about???"