• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,793 - $22,350.

10/7.9

7.2

Based on 126 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.6/10

The worst car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Reason: Bad gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems.

Pros: "I loved the panoramic roof."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems."

"Back in 2004, I wanted to buy an Escape. I bought a Honda Odyssey instead, which turned out to be the best "daddy car" ever. I ran it into the ground (180K miles), but always thought the Escape looked cooler. So when it came time to trade the Odyssey in, I went back to the Escape and immediately bought the first car I found that had all the options I was looking for. The next week I had to bring it in for an engine fire recall--the THIRD one for the 2013 Escape. That got my attention. The idea was to hand the Escape over to my son once he started college. How could I do that with a car that had a history of engine fires? More importantly, I got AWFUL gas mileage. Where it's rated at 30 on the highway, I got a highway average of 23.7 and a city average of 19.3. I got better mileage with my Odyssey, which was a bigger, heavier car! I put an average of 2,000 miles a month on the Escape, and I was going to the gas station every 2-4 days. It was costing me a fortune. The hands free lift gate is a big selling point with this car, but it doesn't work. I spent a lot of time kicking the back of the car trying to get it to open. Eventually I gave up and started using the key. The other annoying thing was that the gate never closed completely, and I would have to get, go outside, and kick the gate shut. The touch feature on the doors rarely worked either, especially if it was wet or cold outside. I ended up going to the key fob most of the time to open the car, too. The Sync system was the most annoying feature of the entire car. It rarely ever worked. Forget about having it look up a restaurant or a point of interest (POI) that was more than a mile or two away. It was completely incapable of doing that. I learned to check the directions it gave me with the Maps function on my iPhone because most of the time there was an easier way that was more directed, avoided heavy traffic, or was free from tolls. If I wanted to hear a song on my iPod, forget that, too. That was too complicated for it. I owned my Escape for a year, and there wasn't a day when I didn't tell myself that I hated that car. I finally got rid of it this weekend, and it's probably the first time I wasn't sad. There were a few good memories in that car, but they were completely unrelated to the car itself. In fact, my favorite moment may have been when I saw it in the rearview mirror of my new car as I drove away. And the kicker? My new Prius has more trunk space! If you like the newest thing and money and gas mileage aren't important to you, you might enjoy the Escape. Avoid the Sync system, if possible, and forget that the hands free lift system is even there."

Very Nice

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "comfort, spacious"

Cons: "MPG"

"I do love this vehicle. Going around town gets me 30 mpg, but onthe Texas highway allowing 80 mph, the mpg nears 25. Comfort is top notch."

2.0 liter 4WD 2014 Titanium 3500 mile update

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Great feel driving, European in style and drive"

Cons: "Foot activated rear door opener touchy when dirty"

"Now at 3500 miles. Mileage continues to improve, now 26mpg in mixed driving. Mytouch has worked flawlessly and is fun to use. The car continues to drive like a European sports car--very tight on curves, solid a pleasure to drive. Quiet, no rattles or squeaks. Have driven several friends who own BMW who were surprised it was a Ford and assumed it was a German car. No mechanical problems.One of the best vehilces I have owned in my 30 years of driving."

Great Style... Enjoyable to drive and stylish.

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and super features"

"2013 Escape Titanium is very eye catching in Ruby Red and meets the driving safety I desired. Great features and very pleased to drive and own! The Park Assist is worth the safety and connivence and the foot activated power rear lift gate is awesome."

Do Not Buy a 2013 Ford Escape!!!!!

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "13" longer than the old version."

Cons: "Sync System, gas mileage bad!"

"Worst car I have ever owned! DO NOT BUY!!!!! Since the first week I had the car I've had problems with the sync system not connecting, the clock resets itself regularly - I can't trust the clock on the car because it's always going back an hour or 15 minutes or anywhere in between. Not to mention the gas mileage is terrible, nothing like what Ford claimed it would be. I think the worst part is that when I brought it in to have them fix the problem they tried at first and then decided that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. When you call the customer complaint line, you get someone who can only pass you to the appropriate people and the appropriate people aren't available and you can only leave a message. Turns out Ford has only one person in charge of a region and no matter how many times you call, you only end up playing phone tag with them. I do not recommend buying the 2013 Ford Escape or any of their vehicles, Ford will not stand behind any problems with the vehicles."

Well made, handles well, quiet, good power, ecnmy

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "Ford buil this well and not a bailed out company."

Cons: "Not really."

"2013 Ford Escape Titanium with tow package and all options. Only complaint is Ford should design tow package to still work with the tailgate function with foot, since the package to get this it is included then you add the tow package and you pay for it but does not function. This escape looks good, rides great, good pickup with 2.0 eco boost turbo, easy to get on the interstate and pass cars, good gas mileage averaging about 19.2 in city, was built well, no defects so far, quiet sound, rides nice, handles well. Got the Kodiak Brown, almost black depending on light of day and changes a little with different lights. Leater is nice, seats comfortable, good storage, may could use a little more cubbies to stuff extras."

Was great....until.....

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Cons: "Don't buy this is you drive in snow."

"I absolutely love this car. I love the style, the way it drives, the gas mileage. Until we got snow. I've driven Escapes for the past 8 years and have always loved how they handle the snow. But now, with the newer body style, my car sits and spins and spins and spins despite having 4WD. Not AWD or 2WD but 4WD. It's incredibly frustrating and for where I live, I need a vehicle that can drive in more than an inch of snow. Seriously debating trading this in on an older model that will actually handle snow."

Worse SUV ever!!!

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "Nice price for what has to offer"

Cons: "To many issues and things that don't work"

"I have had this SUV for 6 mths and has been in the garage so many times. It seems that just when I get it back it goes back in for another problem. My biggest is that if you have an iphone it does not work with the SYNC system. I have also had this system black out on me. Every time I think that it is fixed something happens again. Beside the SYNC issue I have had others that are major. Brake issues, trunk not opening or shutting, tranmisson, sensor problems, you name it and the list can go on. I'm very disappointed in the Ford product and would advise someone not to buy this SUV unless your ready to deal with issues."

Great small SUV

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "great driving vehice"

Cons: "small insde"

"We love this car. he only hing about it is, if youhave mre than one child,or pets,itis kida small. But the egineis great and so is the gas milage."

Great car if your back can handle it.

By on Monday, June 03, 2013

"Initially loved the car. It handles well,rides smooth and has nice pickup with many extra interior toys included. My problem is that it is HORRIBLE on my back. I have never had issues before and now after 45-60 minutes I am in pain. Tried every setting possible but doesn't help. Amazing that one vehicle can take you from doing great to doctor and therapy visits...."