• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,547 - $22,124.

10/7.9

7.1

Based on 119 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

7.0/10
    7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

Still very new but loving it so far

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

"I Traded in my 08 fusion for it and for an SUV it drives just as smooth as my car did, very nice and a lot of features in it, still have not learned all of them but it is fun playing with it. Overall I am very satisfied and happy with it."

Excellent AWD that's fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quiet, comfortable, excellent AWD"

Cons: "Flaky Sync/MyFordTouch"

"I have owned this 2013 Titanium AWD (2.0 EcoBoost) for 1 year today and have used it mostly for commuting 12 miles to work (24 miles rt) per day with a few long trips >200 miles. The main thing I like about the car is its driving characteristics. It has very nimble handling and plenty of power--as close to a sporty car feel as one could get in an SUV. In addition, the cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable (I am 5'9'' and average weight) though I can see it might be tight for a bigger person. The gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg overall for the entire year--I never reset the calculation for the 2nd monitor. This is somewhat less than I had hoped for but much better than my other 4WD options (pickup truck). At least it uses regular gas. I have a long (700 ft), steep driveway and we've had a lot of snow this year. After learning how to use the AWD correctly by going very easy on the gas until it figures out how to distribute the power, I have never had a hitch getting home even in 10"-16" snow drifts. I suspect that the folks who wrote about having trouble with the AWD in snow did what I first did--tried to blast up to speed from a standstill--the so-called intelligent AWD seems to require a gradual startup from a stop to get everything engaged. Wheel spinning defeats its effectiveness. I really like the "techy" stuff this car sports. Most of it works well though the Sync stuff is fairly flaky. I can always make a hands-free phone call and that's pretty much all I care about. I cannot get the system to recognize the spoken "USB" when I try to access my iPod, so I have to do that from the touch screen. The blindside warning, rearview camera and proximity warnings are so far reliable and helpful. The HID headlights are awesome! And the foot-kick operated tailgate is much more useful than I anticipated. What would I improve? The MyFordTouch/Sync system would be better replaced by Apple's Siri. The center console is too deep for its opening. The gas mileage could be better, but that may require doing something about the weather--cold and snow do not promote high mileage. I'm not convinced of the value of 19" tires--a recent pothole event has cost me $229 for a single replacement! A somewhat bigger gas tank would be nice. Bottom line: before buying the Escape, I tested the RAV4, the CRV and the RDX, all with AWD. The Escape was by far the most fun to drive and the quietest with comfort equal to the better of the alternatives. These features continue to please and I am very happy with the car. I have recommended this version to several friends and relatives."

Excellent Small SUV

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Sporty drive with 2.0 engine almost a luxury SUV."

Cons: "Back seats are lackluster concerning comfort."

"Fuel economy thus far was 24 on a recent 250 highway trip. Cabin is quiet and leather heated seats provide support and comfort, Bluetooth and Navigation with voice activation work very well and the Sony sound system is very good. 2.0 turbo engine is quiet, smooth and powerful! Handling dynamics feels like a "sporty" car not a bulky SUV, ride is firm but not harsh by any means. Panoramic sunroof is also a very nice touch. Towing package allows towing of 3,600 pounds but you must forfeit backup camera and hands free lift gate. I believe Ford fixed this unacceptable compromise on all 2014 models. Overall an excellent small SUV, happy motoring!"

Loved this SUV!

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

I want this car

"I wanted to rent an SUV for a out of town family wedding and was given the 2013 Ford Escape. Absolutely loved it! Held 4 adults with luggage comfortably. Smooth, powerful,low gas mileage ride, easy to handle and great looking! Am now considering buying one."

Excellent vehicle. Smooth running, versatile.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "Good ride, responsive engine, good looks."

Cons: "No serious problems."

"I have owned my titanium since October 2012, when they first came out. Haven't had a single serious issue at all. The only nitpick is that the liftgate does not always respond to the "kick" motion for opening. The vehicle runs very smoothly -- good ride, easy handling, responsive engine. I am very happy with it thus far and would recommend it."