• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,547 - $22,124.

10/7.9

7.1

Based on 119 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

7.0/10
    7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10

Poor quality and not reliable

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

"I purchased this vehicle a little over a year ago and it has been in the shop for more than 30 days. The struts have been replaced several times on each side because of a crunching or creaking noise. The company says this is normal and that 9 out of 10 people would not hear it. They said as long as the air is on our the radio is on I would not hear it. So much for riding to work and preparing for a rough day in piece in quite."

The worst car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Reason: Bad gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems.

Pros: "I loved the panoramic roof."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems."

"Back in 2004, I wanted to buy an Escape. I bought a Honda Odyssey instead, which turned out to be the best "daddy car" ever. I ran it into the ground (180K miles), but always thought the Escape looked cooler. So when it came time to trade the Odyssey in, I went back to the Escape and immediately bought the first car I found that had all the options I was looking for. The next week I had to bring it in for an engine fire recall--the THIRD one for the 2013 Escape. That got my attention. The idea was to hand the Escape over to my son once he started college. How could I do that with a car that had a history of engine fires? More importantly, I got AWFUL gas mileage. Where it's rated at 30 on the highway, I got a highway average of 23.7 and a city average of 19.3. I got better mileage with my Odyssey, which was a bigger, heavier car! I put an average of 2,000 miles a month on the Escape, and I was going to the gas station every 2-4 days. It was costing me a fortune. The hands free lift gate is a big selling point with this car, but it doesn't work. I spent a lot of time kicking the back of the car trying to get it to open. Eventually I gave up and started using the key. The other annoying thing was that the gate never closed completely, and I would have to get, go outside, and kick the gate shut. The touch feature on the doors rarely worked either, especially if it was wet or cold outside. I ended up going to the key fob most of the time to open the car, too. The Sync system was the most annoying feature of the entire car. It rarely ever worked. Forget about having it look up a restaurant or a point of interest (POI) that was more than a mile or two away. It was completely incapable of doing that. I learned to check the directions it gave me with the Maps function on my iPhone because most of the time there was an easier way that was more directed, avoided heavy traffic, or was free from tolls. If I wanted to hear a song on my iPod, forget that, too. That was too complicated for it. I owned my Escape for a year, and there wasn't a day when I didn't tell myself that I hated that car. I finally got rid of it this weekend, and it's probably the first time I wasn't sad. There were a few good memories in that car, but they were completely unrelated to the car itself. In fact, my favorite moment may have been when I saw it in the rearview mirror of my new car as I drove away. And the kicker? My new Prius has more trunk space! If you like the newest thing and money and gas mileage aren't important to you, you might enjoy the Escape. Avoid the Sync system, if possible, and forget that the hands free lift system is even there."

Very nice small SUV

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Quiet, powerful and good looking."

Cons: "no backup camera in my 2013."

"I am more impressed with this vehicle every day. The complaints about Sync/Myfordtouch are just learning problems. The car is very quiet and powerful. Titanium 2.0 liter 2 wheel drive. The mileage is as expected. I can get the advertised mileage but it takes some work. That is true for every car. It is reasonably comfortable but could be better"

My favorite little car

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "good power, looks, driving dynamics, technology"

Cons: "no coin holder in center counsel"

"I've had my ford escape for 9 months and i cannot think of a better car in this segment. i wanted a car that was as youthful as i and this was the one. this is far beyond my expectations and i recommend it to everyone i know that's looking for a new car."

Good First SUV

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, Comfortable, SYNC"

Cons: "Sound for BU Camera, Fog Lamps, Storage Cover"

"I was looking for my first SUV. In New York everyone owns a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai. I picked the Ford Escape. This is my first lease (for 2 years), and I am happy with my choice. I have the 2014 Base Model Ford Escape. I have had no problems with the SYNC system at all. It has taken some getting used to but now that I understand it works great. I leased my new vehicle. You get a new car every few years and you no longer have to worry about maintenance. I love the fact that you can control the speed and features of other drives through the administrative key. THE CONS: There should be fog lights standard as well as a sound for the back up camera. the screen for the mileage and trip information needs to be easier to use. The seats are not power controlled if only the drives side. The cover for the cargo area should be standard or at least a cargo net. The rear seat could be better with a slide back for more leg room in the rear area. The small cargo space under the passenger seat is useless to a lone driver. All in all these things can be fixed on the next redo..... I hope!!!"

2014 Ford Escape S

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive it"

"So far I love it. I get about 30 MPG as I drive the highway 10 times a week. I love all the features and the power and it's very comfortable. I love the rear view camera and blind spot mirrors. I love the Sync, AC, speaker system and well everything. Plenty of room for me and my pets. Have had no problems with voice activation or any of the stuff I read about in some reviews."

too many problems to overlook

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "great in theory"

Cons: "poor manufacturing"

"Engine recall, bad seat motor, sticking door handles, bad alignment, bad strut bearings, bad struts, and more. Also had issues with the memory seat recall and my ford touch...not to mention the poor fuel economy."

My first SUV and love it!

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Quiet...comfortable...power liftgate"

Cons: "None so far"

"After owning cars all my life I decided to give an SUV a try. I traded my Fusion for a 2014 Titanium. After a recent 500 mile road trip I feel I made the right choice. It is quiet and very comfortable to drive and ride in. After a month I am getting 28 mpg with the 1.6 turbo. Having used sync in my previous Ford I have found that the system works well. Shortly after I bought it I updated the Sync and now it has very few glitches. Didn't rate reliability because I haven't had it long enough. However, the quality of fit from the factory was excellent."

Best of all the compact SUV's

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "By far the most fun to drive compact suv"

Cons: "Would love just a bit more cargo space"

"I test drove the Escape, Equinox, CRV and Rav4 before deciding on the Escape. I made the right choice. Its more fun to drive, very comfortable, quiet ride and so far the fuel economy is about what I expected. The Ford Sync is a bit complicated but well worth learning because of what it can do."

The best and worst car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "comfort, phone sync, backup camera, space, looks"

Cons: "Voice-contolled dashboard, MPG not up to specs"

"Certain aspects of this car is quite simply the best I've ever owned. I'll start there; it gets an A+. This would be the handling, comfort,visibility, keyless entry and ignition, back-up camera, phone sync, roomy well-planned space, outward appearance; it's the abslolute BEST!Now for the other. Dashboard computer voice to operate radio/GPS/weather, etc. This is a nonnegotiable standard option and is beyond horrible, worst I've ever seen, and I started driving in 1966. It's not just the Computer voice not comprehending. No, you must then put up with the game of 20 questions or get schooled in options you already understand - or just start over. Manual options exist but very difficult to access. Next: Car advertised highway miles up to 31 MPG. I live in a rural ranch area so I'm nearly always highway. Best mileage ever: 22 MPH. Next: Eco-booster option on titanium; Car kicks in low on every single hill. Could be reason for the poor gas mileage. Very disastisfied with up-n-go, except around town and from a dead stop it picks up good. Overall rating for me: C+ to B- It all depends on the features that most float your boat."

Really not pleased

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileagge"

"This is my fourth Ford vehicle. I have many years of good service and cars from ford, except for my 2013 Escape. The mileage is real BAD! I am Getting around 16 to 17mpg and each time I call ford they say "give it a few more miles" The service department took it for a ride and said they were getting 19mpg... how they got that number I do not know. I took the same route and got no where near that. I know two other owners who are having the same problem and would like to hear from others."

Rented for 1 week

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

I don't own this car

"Nothing like driving 11 hours straight in a car to get a good feel of it. The rental only had 3K miles. It handled great, very easy to drive. The blind spots were a little difficult at first but it has additional side mirrors to help with that. The drivers seat had lumbar support but the others did not, so both of us were uncomfortable when not driving. Got pulled over in the evening because apparently there is a dial to turn off the tail lights! What~!? This shouldn't be legal, the cop said we were the 3rd of that vehicle type that he has had to pull over for that. Got decent gas mileage for a 4WD (25 MPG). Overall it's a very nice car, but it's not for me."

Not a great ride

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

Pros: "zippy, ok price, liftgate"

Cons: "poor seat design, poor storage design"

"This car really is alot of hype. My friend has one and is not happy. It does not give great gas mileage as projected. The seating is terribly uncomfortable - seats are short, the leatherette and cloth combo is awful. There is very little storage areas for things. The cup holders are few. I feel like I am in a cockpit when I sit in the passenger seat. The seat wraps around my legs and there is very little area to move around. When driving the Escape, I feel there is too much going on with the dash and controls."

Great car.

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, Sync/MyFord Touch"

"I own a 2013 SE and I love this vehicle. It meets all my needs. MyFord Touch works flawlessly, I'm getting the expected mileage and in fact I got 32mpg on a 50 mile drive on a quiet road early one morning. Another important thing - it's built tough. I was sitting at a red light last week when I was hit almost head on by another, larger, vehicle. Three airbags deployed and I walked away with only a few scratches. Due to the airbag deployment and the cost to replace them in NY, the car is a write off, but I have already ordered the 2014 model as a replacement. I looked around to test the market but could not find anything better in this segment."

Great car, good ride, poor mileage

By on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pros: "Great pep and handling"

Cons: "Poor mileage or not getting stated mileage"

"This is a good handling car with tremendous get up and go. The mileage stated is not what I am getting, took it back to the Ford Dealer and they claim they took it for a test drive and got the stated mileage. Just came back from a 6 hour all highway trip, got 4 to 5 miles to the gallon less than stated mileage. Have to take it back to dealer and see what I can do. Really like the sync feature and the integration of my smartphone, I can even receive texts with voice."

Rented This car many times this year across the US

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Very fuel efficient, superb electronics"

Cons: "Seat could be more comfy."

"I travel a lot and have found myself requesting the Escape over just about all the other rentals. The car has plenty of room during my travels, is bullet proof in reliability. The electronics are second to none including hands free phone and blue tooth audio. A Very good sound system for a rental car and a solid drive. I am moving forward with buying one."

Avoid This Vehicle At All Costs!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Reason: Horrible Mileage, Bad Ride Quality, Broken Technology, Performance.

"First off, I want to begin by saying I have been a loyal Ford customer for over 7 years. This was my fourth Ford vehicle and after this, probably my last. The test drive will not do justice for this vehicle because the engine has this lag that just feels like it's hunting for gears all the time but unless you get it out on the road in regular driving, you won't notice it. MPG is beyond horrible. I combined for 15 to 16 MPG for most weeks and the best I was able to get with it was 18 one time. The sync system is worthless. It freezes at least once a day and can only be reset by turning off the car, opening the door, shutting the door and starting it back up. It doesn't understand most commands and it just a true pain. The vehicle is also so stiff with it's suspension that it is uncomfortable. You feel every little chip in the road right up through your seat. Another gripe is the carpet. It has the cheapest carpet I've ever seen in a vehicle and it's almost impossible to clean it without pulling grass and dirt out by hand because it all gets mashed. When you combine all these things, it's just not the vehicle I was expecting by far. With the price they are selling these things at, it is impossible for me to recommend this car for a buyer. Go test drive it, then drive it again... Then drive it again! If you still love it, go for it! I just think there is too many drawbacks and with Ford basically telling me it's not their problem, it has cost them a customer! I hope I was able to help!"

Great small SUV

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "great driving vehice"

Cons: "small insde"

"We love this car. he only hing about it is, if youhave mre than one child,or pets,itis kida small. But the egineis great and so is the gas milage."

Step up from a subaru

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "Good looking, European driving characteristics,"

Cons: "OEM Tires - not for dirt roads here in NE"

"After owning Subaru's for years, finally a grown up yet sporty AWD. Great this winter with winter tires - same as on my departed Impreza Sport. Much more reliable for mix of stop and go and highway driving. Much more comfortable drive and less than 1 mile per gallon less tops. Seats are comfortable (SE version) and durable. Driving position excellent. Service from local dealer was great during December recall - was given Titanium to drive (still liked my SE better). Only complaint about recall is that they didn't extend my Sirius. Sync - she is a cranky old bitty. Sometimes she likes me, sometimes not. New age Subaru - what the new Forester should have been."

Traveling Rep

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

"I drive approx 35-40k miles a year as a rep. This vehicle has adequate cockpit space, good storage pockets and drink holders. I do not use the rear seats, I fold them down for sample bags. I can load the back up with 4 large bags and still have room for my travel suit case. It is nice that there is no seam betweeen the cargo compartment and the fold at the back seats, one smooth surface from front seats all the way to the back. Sync is great to get local weather when out of town, as well as movie theaters with show times. I love the hands free aspect with my phone, make calls and rec calls while driving with the touch of a button on the steerring wheel. call is Clear on both ends. 26-27 MPG, I have the 2.0 engine. Test drove the 1.6 against the 2.0 and the pickup and smoothness with the 2.0 is undeniable. So far so GOOD."

Great car if your back can handle it.

By on Monday, June 03, 2013

"Initially loved the car. It handles well,rides smooth and has nice pickup with many extra interior toys included. My problem is that it is HORRIBLE on my back. I have never had issues before and now after 45-60 minutes I am in pain. Tried every setting possible but doesn't help. Amazing that one vehicle can take you from doing great to doctor and therapy visits...."

I hate almost everything about this car/suv

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "rides rough and seats are very uncomfortable"

Cons: "don't buy this vehicle"

"I hate almost everything about this vehicle. The seats are cheap and uncomfortable. My legs and back ache after only an hour's drive. The upholstery material and upholstery work is cheap looking and feeling. The console is not easy to use and the buttons are confusing. The SYNC option doesn't work well and I wish I could rip it out and leave it on the side of the road."

Excellent Vehicle & Fun to Drive

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Looks, smooth ride, acceleration"

Cons: "nothing"

"After test driving every small suv, I stopped in a ford dealership to see what the buzz was all about over the echo drive. I was impressed with the power and overall acceleration the vehicle had, which also gets great gas milage. Ford has come along way and have always purchased a honda. Very impressed and would recommend this vehicle to others. Fun to drive as well. Dan"

My 10th Ford and I'm not having these issues.

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Style,Handling,Blind Spot Recognition"

Cons: "Quirky Sync"

Near Scenic WA with my 2 girls

"2013 Titanium 4x4 loaded. I average 24 mpg mixed driving and on long trips I have gotten 30 mpg, hills will kill the mpg, when I drive up to the mountains for skiing I avg 22 mpg round trip. No issues with quality of this vehicle no rattles sticking windows etc. Yes Sync is a little quirky and sometimes won't connect to my Android phone, shut BT off/on and all is ok. Good ride and tackles the snow as any 4x4 should, other's complain about being stuck and throttle response not good, shut off the traction control (like the manual says) and you will be fine. I do have the issue in wet slushy snow of hydroplaning a bit, 19" low profile tires who are you kidding this is going to happen. I bought a set 17" plain steel wheels with snow tires for next year. Overall after 6 months I'm very pleased with this SUV."

Near Scenic WA with my 2 girls

Very pleased with this Ford

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "Great ride and easy handling"

Cons: "srotage access and cup holders"

"I have had this car for 5 weeks now and have put about 2000 miles on it with no problems at all getting around 27 to 28 mpg with plenty of pickup in the 2.0. I do wish it had a bigger fuel tank so far thats my only complant the electric steering is the best it took some getting use to but now we love it the My Touch has had no problems go far let me drive this car another 6 months to see if anything changes"