• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,598 - $22,163.

10/7.9

7.1

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10

Excellent AWD that's fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quiet, comfortable, excellent AWD"

Cons: "Flaky Sync/MyFordTouch"

"I have owned this 2013 Titanium AWD (2.0 EcoBoost) for 1 year today and have used it mostly for commuting 12 miles to work (24 miles rt) per day with a few long trips >200 miles. The main thing I like about the car is its driving characteristics. It has very nimble handling and plenty of power--as close to a sporty car feel as one could get in an SUV. In addition, the cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable (I am 5'9'' and average weight) though I can see it might be tight for a bigger person. The gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg overall for the entire year--I never reset the calculation for the 2nd monitor. This is somewhat less than I had hoped for but much better than my other 4WD options (pickup truck). At least it uses regular gas. I have a long (700 ft), steep driveway and we've had a lot of snow this year. After learning how to use the AWD correctly by going very easy on the gas until it figures out how to distribute the power, I have never had a hitch getting home even in 10"-16" snow drifts. I suspect that the folks who wrote about having trouble with the AWD in snow did what I first did--tried to blast up to speed from a standstill--the so-called intelligent AWD seems to require a gradual startup from a stop to get everything engaged. Wheel spinning defeats its effectiveness. I really like the "techy" stuff this car sports. Most of it works well though the Sync stuff is fairly flaky. I can always make a hands-free phone call and that's pretty much all I care about. I cannot get the system to recognize the spoken "USB" when I try to access my iPod, so I have to do that from the touch screen. The blindside warning, rearview camera and proximity warnings are so far reliable and helpful. The HID headlights are awesome! And the foot-kick operated tailgate is much more useful than I anticipated. What would I improve? The MyFordTouch/Sync system would be better replaced by Apple's Siri. The center console is too deep for its opening. The gas mileage could be better, but that may require doing something about the weather--cold and snow do not promote high mileage. I'm not convinced of the value of 19" tires--a recent pothole event has cost me $229 for a single replacement! A somewhat bigger gas tank would be nice. Bottom line: before buying the Escape, I tested the RAV4, the CRV and the RDX, all with AWD. The Escape was by far the most fun to drive and the quietest with comfort equal to the better of the alternatives. These features continue to please and I am very happy with the car. I have recommended this version to several friends and relatives."

CRV and Escape -Let the long term comparison begin

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Model S has many std features"

Cons: "Ford doesn't make many Model S versions"

"Just got a 2014 base Model S. (made in Louisville, KY) Only options 1) alloy wheels and 2) set of winter and summer floor mats. Sale price was $23600 but got $2500 in FMC rebates. I also got a reasonable trade in for my 2003 F-150 (made in Kansas City, MO) that gave me zero problems over the years. My Wife's 2014 Honda CRV has AWD, a navigation system, leather and sun roof - which explains why it cost considerably more than the Escape. Let the long term side-by-side comparison begin ... Wife says: "back-up camera is brighter in the Escape". I like the hand's free phone that connected easily to my Android. It reads incoming text messages ..."

Potential. Buyers think twice

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "nice looking vehicle"

Cons: "limited space inside, poor gas mileage"

"Think twice before purchasing a 2014 ford escape. it is an attractive vehicle, however there is no where to put your small items except for in the armrest console, there are 2 cup holders and nothing else, very cramped in drivers seat. The gas mileage is not great. The wipers move outward, , they do not reach the ends of the windshield making it harder to see when looking to the left. I was looking to upgrade from a smaller car with more room, not sure I made the right choice now, especially after comparing the interior room to my friends Kia Sorento."

Nothing close to what I call a quality vehicle

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Low price for the class it is in, decent mileage"

Cons: "cheap construction, cheap feel, 2 thumbs down"

"I traded in my toyota and thought I was getting a deal on a brand new 2014 Ford Escape. This car is just not what I would call high quality for the money. I am used to the solid performance of a brand that obviously takes more pride in what they make. I will be getting rid of this car at the very first opportunity and will not buy another Ford. I do not know if all Ford vehicles are as bad as the Escape, but I am not going to take the chance."

the car is an all around disappointment

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "its good to get out of"

Cons: "car is an all aruond disapointment"

"I've owned 4 new fords since 2005, won't buy another one !"

Disastrous Quality and Poor Performance

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Nice Stereo"

Cons: "Extremely Poor Quality, MPG, Value and Safety"

"Our 2013 Escape has had 7 recalls in the first year. We had an incident where all of the wiring burned out of the vehicle, requiring everything to be replaced, car still smells like burnt plastic. The Synch system works about 50% of the time and the GPS takes about 15 mins to start working. We've had a few different plastic pieces in the interior break off from normal use. Gas mileage is poor for a 4 cylinder at 21 mpg. We looked at trading the vehicle in to get rid of it, but its value has plummeted so low that we will be stuck with it for a while."

Nice design-fun to drive, but many problems.

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Looks and fun to drive"

Cons: "Mechanically a flop with nothing but problems."

"I have owned two 2013 Escapes. The first one was the Titanium Sport Utility two wheel drive with the 1.6 engine engine. After being recalled and forced to park it, traded it in for the 2.0 engine. Requested that Ford help with this financially, since my first Escape was recalled after I had owned it for only 2 weeks. Ford refused. Second Escape is being traded off today after it quit on the highway with a warning to have engine serviced now. Ford service could not find any thing wrong. This vehicle at least three times, has made a very loud clunking sound and jerked driving on the highway as if AWD was either kicking in or out. Sync system is terrible to work with. As I summarized, this vehicle is fun to drive and look at, but mechanically, it was put on the road by Ford without being fully tested on the road."

Do not drive at night

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, handling, styling, comfort."

Cons: "Undiming dash lights and Ford's callous attitude."

"I have a '14 Ford Escape SE with blinding dash lights. According to Ford technicians, they are suppose to automatically dim in conjunction with the ambient light. For example, if it is daytime and full sun, the dash lights are full bright. Then as it gets toward dusk, the lights dim somewhat. At full night, the dash lights dim more to avoid bright lights in one's eyes. An analogy to this would be like driving at night and an oncoming car has its lights on bright beam. Then as a courtesy, the person dims the lights to the low beam. This is why I am taking Ford to task for designing a car that will not dim its dash lights as specified. I have talked to a Ford representative and that person said, "nothing is perfect, deal with it". To translate, I feel this means, we don't know how to fix it or care, and you are stuck. I would think Ford would like to have repeat costomers, but that bridge is burned and there will be no further purchase, ever. I have taken my car into the shop for a correction of this problem. They are trying to sweep me under the rug just so I will go away. Finally, they checked their lot and all the '14 Escapes have this same problem. So, a redesign of the software or hardware needs to be made and a recall/advisory made. I do not know if this will affect me as I may not have the car by then. I do not tolerate broken, non working equipment. On the positive side, the car does get good gas mileage, handles well, and looks good. Why would Ford let such a minor item ruin a car such as this?"

Fine in the snow and bested a deer

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Safe, handles well, comfortable"

Cons: "Not big ones"

"I absolutely love my escape. For those complaining about mileage, they really need to check how they drive because I avg 25 mpg just like I'm supposed to. I get 28-30 Hwy and 22-24 city. Extremely safe car! I hit a deer after owning it for six months. My friend and I walked away without any injuries and the side airbags did deploy (no marks from the seat belt, no whip lash, nothing). The car immediately killed the engine, turned on my hazards, and called 911 in the right county. Got it fixed up, good as new at the body shop. I've also never had problems with the snow. This winter has been terrible, but my car has handled it like a champ. Not as great as a 4x4 truck, but great for what it is. Only complaints are that the center console is super deep, the miles to empty warning is often off by quite a few miles (more than the usual vehicle), and it takes a few seconds for the vroom to kick in when I floor it (I have the 1.6L)."

Reliability at its best

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "Quality and reliability"

Cons: "To perfect"

"Good car very good quality and reliability we alway bought toyotas but they went down so we decided to try ford and we got fusion and an escape we love both but I drive the escape and I absulutely love it it drives good and looks great and very good build quility too better than toyota by a wide margen"

See if you qualify for