• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,734 - $22,289.

10/7.9

7.2

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10

Complete Disappointment. UNSAFE VEHICLE!

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"Purchased my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium in November, 2012. Since then, I have had numerous mechanical/electronic problems. Faulty door hands, a power lift gate that didn't work, a bluetooth phone system that no one could hear me on, a radio with no sound, a defroster that didn't work secondary to radio issues, steering issues, and most recently a blown transmission. My last trip to the repair shop lasted 51 days. I am left with nothing but aggravation and what I believe to be an unreliable/unsafe vehicle. Have an ongoing case with Ford Motor Company, which has been passed through nine people - none of which have given me any support. Asking ford to repurchase my vehicle. I've had enough. Ford Motor Company should not be okay with customers paying close to 40K for a vehicle that has so many issues. My main suggested improvement is better customer service. Having my case passed through so many representatives does not make me feel like you care - it conveys the message of the complete opposite. That they do not care. Very sad. My father has worked for Ford for almost 35 years and is devastated by the trouble I have been having...and the lack of assistance available."

2013 Ford Escape SE Great car for the price

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Turbo Boost, New Body style"

Cons: "Poor Ride, Poor design of tailgate, Poor lighting"

"I have driven my SE for 1500 miles at this first review. Pro Body Styling great Dash board cool looking Gas Mileage as expected 28 - 32 Highway have not only driven it in town yet, and don't expect t much. Easy access and you sit up higher then a car. Turbo allows this 4 CY to act like a 6 CY when required. Con Ride is fair minus when I am not driving and try to keep my head on the head rest, my head bounces all the time during highway driving. Read tailgate allows dirt to blow under it so that when you open the gate, there is always dirt on the shelf below the tailgate. Poor design Plastic wheel covers (Come On - Ford - That is Cheap) No directionals on outside mirrors - that should be standard for an SUV. Diming mirrors (inside and out) should be standard. Seats are hard but yet after sitting all day you don't care. Poor Lighting inside - you need an additional light in the rear by the tailgate and a light should be on the outside mirrors when you get out at night.Rp"

Style is great, 7+ recalls not so great

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "great service dept, sales staff no so great"

Cons: "frontseats 2narrow, like the witht of older Escape"

"The EPS system is awful, car drifts esp in cross winds, and slightly (2 lbs) lower tire pressure on one side effects driving and car drifts, 1.6L is underpowered and dangerous when passing speed is needed and it's slow to react. AC has stopped working twice, fan runs but no air, dealership unable to find problem, have to stop car for at least 5 min and then it resets and works again. Rough ride and still wind noise inside"

Best small SUV for the price.

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "2.0 engine, leather seats, reliability"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Test drove the CRV, Mazda 5, RAV, Sorrento, Forester. Nothing in the small SUV class will out haul or out power the marvelous 2.0 engine. I have zero brand loyalty, as a matter of fact this is the first Ford I have ever owned. Workmanship and quality, is first rate, with every possible bell and whistle option you could possibly desire and I desired them all including towing package. Every option works marvelously well. Handles better than some so called sports cars, but the ride is not harsh by any means. Cabin is quite and very comfortable on long drives. Sony stereo, Navigation, Blue tooth, Sync, works as advertised and takes minutes to understand and use. Reliability has been bullet proof thus far. Very satisfied and highly recommend. Ford has converted me into a true believer."

Does everything I need it to and some!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"I always get compliments on how the vehicle looks. It handles turns and rough roads with no problems. The vehicle runs great towing a trailer. The engine has some kick to it and the turbo lag is hardly noticeable. The interior is great, although I wish it had somewhere to hold coins. It sounds good when driving I am getting 21.9 mpg with all city driving. Definitely a Vehicle I would recommend."

I love this vehicle

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "mileage, 4WD, size"

"The 4 WD is great in the desert where I live. the vehicle has got plenty of room for me (6'2") and enough room in back for a trip to the lumber yard. I really enjoy the automatic tail gate. Ride is good and gas mileage is good (25 mpg overall average)"

Terrific vehicle, like small BMW SUV but cost less

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "superior interior, fit and finish, agile,"

Cons: "none really so far"

"First impressions Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 liter engine now 250 miles on it Incredible interior, european feel and quality agile sporty driving mileage is fine, 23.5 in mixed with a lot of hills, no highways yet and not broken in yet My touch and sync took 15 minutes to master and is great--what is the negative hype about???"

Hands down waay better than Rav4, CR-V or Equinox

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

Pros: "Power, lot of options, Japanese-like build quality"

Cons: "outward swinging wipers arent the best, rear space"

"I bought a brand-new Escape Titanium 4WD after trying out all the other SUVs in the same category (Nissan Rogue, Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5). This car is amazing. I opted for the bigger Ecoboost engine which delivers 240 horsepower. Folks this is the same exact engine that Land Rover uses in the Land Rover Evoque base models. It delivers plenty of horsepower for lively, spirited acceleration. The interior has great build quality. The car came factory equipped with an optional remote starter which is awesome. There's a 390 watt Sony stereo. The navigation system works great everytime. The voice activation doesn't always work perfectly but that's a minor issue. I'm still learning to use all the features of Ford Sync system but so far it's been great. Love this car and highly recommend it."

Excellent vehicle. Smooth running, versatile.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "Good ride, responsive engine, good looks."

Cons: "No serious problems."

"I have owned my titanium since October 2012, when they first came out. Haven't had a single serious issue at all. The only nitpick is that the liftgate does not always respond to the "kick" motion for opening. The vehicle runs very smoothly -- good ride, easy handling, responsive engine. I am very happy with it thus far and would recommend it."

Excellent AWD that's fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quiet, comfortable, excellent AWD"

Cons: "Flaky Sync/MyFordTouch"

"I have owned this 2013 Titanium AWD (2.0 EcoBoost) for 1 year today and have used it mostly for commuting 12 miles to work (24 miles rt) per day with a few long trips >200 miles. The main thing I like about the car is its driving characteristics. It has very nimble handling and plenty of power--as close to a sporty car feel as one could get in an SUV. In addition, the cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable (I am 5'9'' and average weight) though I can see it might be tight for a bigger person. The gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg overall for the entire year--I never reset the calculation for the 2nd monitor. This is somewhat less than I had hoped for but much better than my other 4WD options (pickup truck). At least it uses regular gas. I have a long (700 ft), steep driveway and we've had a lot of snow this year. After learning how to use the AWD correctly by going very easy on the gas until it figures out how to distribute the power, I have never had a hitch getting home even in 10"-16" snow drifts. I suspect that the folks who wrote about having trouble with the AWD in snow did what I first did--tried to blast up to speed from a standstill--the so-called intelligent AWD seems to require a gradual startup from a stop to get everything engaged. Wheel spinning defeats its effectiveness. I really like the "techy" stuff this car sports. Most of it works well though the Sync stuff is fairly flaky. I can always make a hands-free phone call and that's pretty much all I care about. I cannot get the system to recognize the spoken "USB" when I try to access my iPod, so I have to do that from the touch screen. The blindside warning, rearview camera and proximity warnings are so far reliable and helpful. The HID headlights are awesome! And the foot-kick operated tailgate is much more useful than I anticipated. What would I improve? The MyFordTouch/Sync system would be better replaced by Apple's Siri. The center console is too deep for its opening. The gas mileage could be better, but that may require doing something about the weather--cold and snow do not promote high mileage. I'm not convinced of the value of 19" tires--a recent pothole event has cost me $229 for a single replacement! A somewhat bigger gas tank would be nice. Bottom line: before buying the Escape, I tested the RAV4, the CRV and the RDX, all with AWD. The Escape was by far the most fun to drive and the quietest with comfort equal to the better of the alternatives. These features continue to please and I am very happy with the car. I have recommended this version to several friends and relatives."