• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,734 - $22,289.

10/7.9

7.2

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10

DO NOT BUY the 2013 Ford Escape

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, good sound system, spacious trunk,etc"

Cons: "horrible computer system, horrible brakes,HORRIBLE"

"I just graduated college and this is my first car with my new job. After a 20 minute test drive with the Ford Escape and hearing about all the options my heart was set on getting this car.... which I did! WORST DECISION EVER. I have had the car approximately 1.5 months and it is going in tomorrow for its THIRD service. The brakes squeal and the service department "cant fix it" because they "don't know why it's happening". The computer constantly freezes and the clock keeps resetting itself to the time when I turned the car off. As of tomorrow, under VA law, I can return the car under the Lemon law. WHICH I WILL. Never ever again will I buy a Ford model car. BUYER BEWARE."

The worst car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Reason: Bad gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems.

Pros: "I loved the panoramic roof."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and multiple mechanical problems."

"Back in 2004, I wanted to buy an Escape. I bought a Honda Odyssey instead, which turned out to be the best "daddy car" ever. I ran it into the ground (180K miles), but always thought the Escape looked cooler. So when it came time to trade the Odyssey in, I went back to the Escape and immediately bought the first car I found that had all the options I was looking for. The next week I had to bring it in for an engine fire recall--the THIRD one for the 2013 Escape. That got my attention. The idea was to hand the Escape over to my son once he started college. How could I do that with a car that had a history of engine fires? More importantly, I got AWFUL gas mileage. Where it's rated at 30 on the highway, I got a highway average of 23.7 and a city average of 19.3. I got better mileage with my Odyssey, which was a bigger, heavier car! I put an average of 2,000 miles a month on the Escape, and I was going to the gas station every 2-4 days. It was costing me a fortune. The hands free lift gate is a big selling point with this car, but it doesn't work. I spent a lot of time kicking the back of the car trying to get it to open. Eventually I gave up and started using the key. The other annoying thing was that the gate never closed completely, and I would have to get, go outside, and kick the gate shut. The touch feature on the doors rarely worked either, especially if it was wet or cold outside. I ended up going to the key fob most of the time to open the car, too. The Sync system was the most annoying feature of the entire car. It rarely ever worked. Forget about having it look up a restaurant or a point of interest (POI) that was more than a mile or two away. It was completely incapable of doing that. I learned to check the directions it gave me with the Maps function on my iPhone because most of the time there was an easier way that was more directed, avoided heavy traffic, or was free from tolls. If I wanted to hear a song on my iPod, forget that, too. That was too complicated for it. I owned my Escape for a year, and there wasn't a day when I didn't tell myself that I hated that car. I finally got rid of it this weekend, and it's probably the first time I wasn't sad. There were a few good memories in that car, but they were completely unrelated to the car itself. In fact, my favorite moment may have been when I saw it in the rearview mirror of my new car as I drove away. And the kicker? My new Prius has more trunk space! If you like the newest thing and money and gas mileage aren't important to you, you might enjoy the Escape. Avoid the Sync system, if possible, and forget that the hands free lift system is even there."

Great car; great mileage; handles well

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Great car for the money; nice ride."

Cons: "Glove compartment poorly designed; not functional."

"I purchased the titanium fully loaded. The car is comfortable to drive and I commute 100 miles/day. It gets an average 27 mpg with 32 mpg if just driving highway. My complaints are minor. The glove compartment imbetween the 2 front seats is poorly designed. It is impossible to plug in a usb or adapter without taking everything out. The backup camera is great. The blind spot lights are helpful, but would be better with sound. Overall the care drives very well."

Very Nice

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "comfort, spacious"

Cons: "MPG"

"I do love this vehicle. Going around town gets me 30 mpg, but onthe Texas highway allowing 80 mph, the mpg nears 25. Comfort is top notch."

2.0 liter 4WD 2014 Titanium 3500 mile update

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Great feel driving, European in style and drive"

Cons: "Foot activated rear door opener touchy when dirty"

"Now at 3500 miles. Mileage continues to improve, now 26mpg in mixed driving. Mytouch has worked flawlessly and is fun to use. The car continues to drive like a European sports car--very tight on curves, solid a pleasure to drive. Quiet, no rattles or squeaks. Have driven several friends who own BMW who were surprised it was a Ford and assumed it was a German car. No mechanical problems.One of the best vehilces I have owned in my 30 years of driving."