• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,598 - $22,163.

10/7.9

7.1

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10

Fine in the snow and bested a deer

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Safe, handles well, comfortable"

Cons: "Not big ones"

"I absolutely love my escape. For those complaining about mileage, they really need to check how they drive because I avg 25 mpg just like I'm supposed to. I get 28-30 Hwy and 22-24 city. Extremely safe car! I hit a deer after owning it for six months. My friend and I walked away without any injuries and the side airbags did deploy (no marks from the seat belt, no whip lash, nothing). The car immediately killed the engine, turned on my hazards, and called 911 in the right county. Got it fixed up, good as new at the body shop. I've also never had problems with the snow. This winter has been terrible, but my car has handled it like a champ. Not as great as a 4x4 truck, but great for what it is. Only complaints are that the center console is super deep, the miles to empty warning is often off by quite a few miles (more than the usual vehicle), and it takes a few seconds for the vroom to kick in when I floor it (I have the 1.6L)."

Does everything I need it to and some!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"I always get compliments on how the vehicle looks. It handles turns and rough roads with no problems. The vehicle runs great towing a trailer. The engine has some kick to it and the turbo lag is hardly noticeable. The interior is great, although I wish it had somewhere to hold coins. It sounds good when driving I am getting 21.9 mpg with all city driving. Definitely a Vehicle I would recommend."

My first SUV and love it!

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "Quiet...comfortable...power liftgate"

Cons: "None so far"

"After owning cars all my life I decided to give an SUV a try. I traded my Fusion for a 2014 Titanium. After a recent 500 mile road trip I feel I made the right choice. It is quiet and very comfortable to drive and ride in. After a month I am getting 28 mpg with the 1.6 turbo. Having used sync in my previous Ford I have found that the system works well. Shortly after I bought it I updated the Sync and now it has very few glitches. Didn't rate reliability because I haven't had it long enough. However, the quality of fit from the factory was excellent."

An all around great vehicle.

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, powerful drivetrain, luxurious."

Cons: "Decreased leg room, average on snow."

"Much better than I expected. Amazing gas mileage and power. Handles like a small car. Absolutely satisfied with this purchase. Only two negatives: Decreased leg room (I'm 6'3"). Average handling on snow."

I love this vehicle

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "mileage, 4WD, size"

"The 4 WD is great in the desert where I live. the vehicle has got plenty of room for me (6'2") and enough room in back for a trip to the lumber yard. I really enjoy the automatic tail gate. Ride is good and gas mileage is good (25 mpg overall average)"

Drives well-rides well-love the comfortable seats

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"2.0 liter 240 hp turbo pulls my 4 x 8 box trailer well and still gets about 20 miles per gallon. I would buy it again."

I love my Escape

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "myfordtouch, sync"

Cons: "stereo sound, back seats don't adjust"

"I absolutely love my escape, I have the SE with the 2.0 ecoboost and 8" MY FORD TOUCH and sync. This SUV handled very well this past winter with the Automatic 4wd. I averaged 24 mpg all winter, mainly from the 15 min warm ups before I left anywhere. But now that it is nice outside I am getting closer to 28 MPG and I've gotten 30mpg on the highway. Great gas mileage without any sacrifice of power, it can get up and go when I need it to. I also have towed around 2000 lbs without any problems. I would recommend over and over again."

My favorite little car

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "good power, looks, driving dynamics, technology"

Cons: "no coin holder in center counsel"

"I've had my ford escape for 9 months and i cannot think of a better car in this segment. i wanted a car that was as youthful as i and this was the one. this is far beyond my expectations and i recommend it to everyone i know that's looking for a new car."

Very nice automobile

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "Fun, cool looking, techno heavy and a great value."

Cons: "Mileage a bit lower than stated."

"I have researched the vehicle prior to buying it, I chose the titanium with nav, parking technology and a tow hitch. I haven't yet towed anything, but that's why I got it. Compare it to what else is out there, including the higher end suv's and you will likely choose it as well. Very nice stuff in this vehicle. As far as value, it's not that bad either. Mileage is a bit lower that what is stated, but I have pretty much stayed off the freeways. Very well thought out, compared to the Acura, this wins by a mile and a half, much cheaper and more comfort. The Kia is junk, rav 4 way under powered. The GM options don't even come close, a short test drive in the Chevy was over and I eft the dealer within an hour, it's way overpriced, the BMW, very nice, but expensive! could almost buy two of these. Lexus, nice as well, but really, the fords seems better in value and looks. I thought the Mazda was close, but it felt cheap and tinny. They say this model is bigger that the 2012 version, I am not totally convinced, but drivability.....no comparison. The older one felt sluggish and tank like, I seem to forget this s a suv. Easy to get in and out and visibility is the best I've seen. Good job ford, hopefully the pesky recall issues are resolved, otherwise I see this being a real winner. If you buy something else without at least test driving this, you are indeed crazy."

Great, Versatile and Fun Vehicle

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, versatility, powertrain, fun to drive."

Cons: "Lower gas mileage than advertised."

"Before signing the check for my new Escape SE, I researched and drove every competitive vehicle. The Escape won me over due to it's design, forward thinking, utility, comfort, mileage and overall driving characteristics. Coming from a premium brand AWD vehicle, I was at first skeptical, but I've come to really appreciate and love this vehicle. It drives and handles extremely well, and feels well-planted on the road. The seating is extremely comfortable, although the footwell is a bit tight, it's not too tight for my 6'0", 185 pound frame. The engine is extremely quiet - something I didn't expect from a small turbo, and the automatic transmission is very smooth. Fit and finish are on par with more expensive vehicles, which I believe is the reason it costs slightly more than others in it's class. I also love the Sync with MyFordTouch, and don't understand why some complain about it. It's intuitive, and easy to learn to operate. So far, I haven't been getting the EPA's rated fuel mileage, but it's probably due to my driving style and frequent stop and go traffic. The best I've done yet is 29 mpg when driven mostly highway miles. As with all vehicles, I expect the mileage to improve once broken in. I also love the auto-tailgate option, though I don't have the "foot motion" option, which I don't feel is necessary. All said, I love this vehicle."

4th Ford I have owned or leased

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Great value,Titanium has all bells and whistles."

Cons: "No front bumper protection."

"What a great job Ford has done. Having owned several Fords, this one is best so far. The Power of the 2.0 Eco Boost is amazing,using High test has given me better Gas milage. The 2014 Escape is more of a crossover then a SUV....If you want plenty of power to get on highway or pass that cellphone user, this is the ticket.Only drawback is front grille and bumper..No protection from people who can't park in front of you..Park assist is amazing. Sync is complicated, but if you have a teenager they can figure out full potential.Have nothing Bad to say! I look forward to many miles of enjoyment.Blows away CRV and RAV4.Proud to own an american car.Voice commands are easy to use ,but speak clearly.Gas milage not as promised and I chalk that up to not being broken in yet..Only 200 miles so far..As far as safety, you have many air bags to protect you and your passengers from harm..Bravo Ford"

Best Escape EVER 2013 SEL 2.0L

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "Great Handling..Plenty of Get Up and Go.."

Cons: "Hump in Front of the Seats"

"Owned it for 6 weeks now to replace my 2007 XLT Escape..Boy what a difference. Better Power..Great handling..Average 27.8 MPG Looked at the Titanium but didn't see a use for the 4 wheel drive and Moon Roof..So went with the 2.0L SEL. Glad to have made the purchase..took it the first weekend on a 2,000 mile road trip..averaged 29.6 MPG on the trip. Only item I dislike is the hump in front of the seats..I'm 5' 10" and when you pull your foot back it gets in the way...otherwise really happy with the vehicle."

FAST FAST FAST

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"2.0l TURBO IS SO FAST. NO PROBLEM PASSING IF YOU NEED THE GET UP AND GO IT HAS IT. RIDES GREAT CHOOSE IT OVER A EXPLORER I WAS GOING TO BUY. GOING FROM A FULL SIZE EXPLORER TO THE ESCAPE WAS A MISTAKE. I DO NEED MORE ROOM THOUGH WILL PROBABLY GO INTO THE EDGE. GARAGE LIMITATIONS! IF YOU DONT NEED MORE ROOM THEN THIS IS A GREAT CAR. A BIT DISAPPOINTING IN GAS MILEAGE. IF YOU WANT 30MPG YOU HAVE TO DRIVE AT 65MPH DRIVING AT 75 GETS YOU ABOUT 26 HWY. OVER ALL GREAT FAST FUN TO DRIVE SUV"

Rented for 1 week

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

I don't own this car

"Nothing like driving 11 hours straight in a car to get a good feel of it. The rental only had 3K miles. It handled great, very easy to drive. The blind spots were a little difficult at first but it has additional side mirrors to help with that. The drivers seat had lumbar support but the others did not, so both of us were uncomfortable when not driving. Got pulled over in the evening because apparently there is a dial to turn off the tail lights! What~!? This shouldn't be legal, the cop said we were the 3rd of that vehicle type that he has had to pull over for that. Got decent gas mileage for a 4WD (25 MPG). Overall it's a very nice car, but it's not for me."

One of the nicest cars we've owned.

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Economical, great performance, nice styling."

Cons: "Passenger seat comfort, front and back."

By the sea.

"The styling is a refreshing change and the handling and performance is outstanding. We drive some moderately high mountans 3 to 4 times a month and the EcoBoost engine is terrific. We still manage to average 24-25 mpg overall, and when I've purposely checked highway mileage it has generally come in at 29+ ("they" say that improves over time). We ordered the car and have only had it five months so I can't speak to the reliability but we had an earlier version of the Escape and it was great! Based upon initial experience, this is definately a car we would purchase again and recommend."

By the sea.

Great car.

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, Sync/MyFord Touch"

"I own a 2013 SE and I love this vehicle. It meets all my needs. MyFord Touch works flawlessly, I'm getting the expected mileage and in fact I got 32mpg on a 50 mile drive on a quiet road early one morning. Another important thing - it's built tough. I was sitting at a red light last week when I was hit almost head on by another, larger, vehicle. Three airbags deployed and I walked away with only a few scratches. Due to the airbag deployment and the cost to replace them in NY, the car is a write off, but I have already ordered the 2014 model as a replacement. I looked around to test the market but could not find anything better in this segment."

Awesome car!

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Awesome to drive, sweet ambient lighting"

Cons: "Haven't found one yet!"

This is Bonni Blue.

"Researched this car to replace a 2010 Sport trac. Needed a car with better gas mileage. Love the design and love the technology package. Gas mileage is working up to where it needs to be but already better than the sport trac. Love the remote start feature. Husband picked the color but it looks so much better in person."

This is Bonni Blue.

great car

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Ford hit the jackpot with this one"

Cons: "a little pricy"

"Started to research this vehicle before dealers started evev getting them in.Contacted my ford dealer to let me know when they started to get them.The first one they got was black,a color I wasn't particularly interested in.The evening I went out to look at it they had just gotten a sel model in fully loaded I test drived and bought it that same night.What a great vehicle.Even if you don't like suv's you'll love this one."

My 10th Ford and I'm not having these issues.

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Style,Handling,Blind Spot Recognition"

Cons: "Quirky Sync"

Near Scenic WA with my 2 girls

"2013 Titanium 4x4 loaded. I average 24 mpg mixed driving and on long trips I have gotten 30 mpg, hills will kill the mpg, when I drive up to the mountains for skiing I avg 22 mpg round trip. No issues with quality of this vehicle no rattles sticking windows etc. Yes Sync is a little quirky and sometimes won't connect to my Android phone, shut BT off/on and all is ok. Good ride and tackles the snow as any 4x4 should, other's complain about being stuck and throttle response not good, shut off the traction control (like the manual says) and you will be fine. I do have the issue in wet slushy snow of hydroplaning a bit, 19" low profile tires who are you kidding this is going to happen. I bought a set 17" plain steel wheels with snow tires for next year. Overall after 6 months I'm very pleased with this SUV."

Near Scenic WA with my 2 girls

Solid small SUV

By on Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pros: "Price, comfort, quiet, reliable, value."

Cons: "A little tight interior"

"Bought my Escape SE on January 18. I have 6,500 miles as of April 21. I love the car overall. It is fun and comfortable to drive, gets good enough full economy and has plenty of fun gadgets. Mine has the 1.6 liter engine, the exterior package, power rear hatch and the dual zone climate control. It's almost fully loaded for a SE. The MSRP on it was over $27,000. The dealer knocked off $2,500 of that for me and gave me $3,000 trade in on my 2002 Honda Civic. So I got it for about $21,000. My financing came to 3.4 percent for four years. I put $10,000 down and my payments are $280 a month. I was very fortunate to be able to do that. Coming from the Honda, the car is awesome. I'm getting about 25.5 mpgs. I think that will stay the same over the long haul and I'm satisfied with that. If you're someone with a larger family or you are a larger person, then I would not reccomend this car to you. It's a little tigher on the inside than a CRV. But it's perfect of me, a single 5'6" guy. I don't find the touchscreen my ford touch to be difficult to use. Although it occasionally loses connection with my iPhone. I don't know why. The sound quality is also good. I love the dual zone AC because I'm a hot natured guy while my girlfriend is alway cold. I'm very satisfied with this car. It does everything I need it to do with a very quiet and comfortbale ride. You do not hear much road noise in it. I do like the new RAV4s I see driving around, but I think the value I got in this car with the deal I got it outweighs that of a RAV4. I hope it stays that way. In short, at least check out the Escape. If you can get a SEL or Titanium at the end of the model year for a good deal, take it. It'll be worth it."

Excellent Small SUV

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Sporty drive with 2.0 engine almost a luxury SUV."

Cons: "Back seats are lackluster concerning comfort."

"Fuel economy thus far was 24 on a recent 250 highway trip. Cabin is quiet and leather heated seats provide support and comfort, Bluetooth and Navigation with voice activation work very well and the Sony sound system is very good. 2.0 turbo engine is quiet, smooth and powerful! Handling dynamics feels like a "sporty" car not a bulky SUV, ride is firm but not harsh by any means. Panoramic sunroof is also a very nice touch. Towing package allows towing of 3,600 pounds but you must forfeit backup camera and hands free lift gate. I believe Ford fixed this unacceptable compromise on all 2014 models. Overall an excellent small SUV, happy motoring!"

Excellant car for my wife. Comfort, visibility.

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "Visibility, comfort, load capacity, power"

Cons: "Touch screen controls"

"Wife wanted Escape after 3 Avalons. Visibility and trunk area were 1st requirements. This is the vehicle we take on trips, both for comfort and mpg. I usually drive my 06 Explorer used for towing, but at 5'10" and 215lbs am extremely comfortable in the SEL on long trips(500m). The control knobs and touch screen need a little time to get used to, but that is minor."

Excellent AWD that's fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quiet, comfortable, excellent AWD"

Cons: "Flaky Sync/MyFordTouch"

"I have owned this 2013 Titanium AWD (2.0 EcoBoost) for 1 year today and have used it mostly for commuting 12 miles to work (24 miles rt) per day with a few long trips >200 miles. The main thing I like about the car is its driving characteristics. It has very nimble handling and plenty of power--as close to a sporty car feel as one could get in an SUV. In addition, the cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable (I am 5'9'' and average weight) though I can see it might be tight for a bigger person. The gas mileage has averaged 23 mpg overall for the entire year--I never reset the calculation for the 2nd monitor. This is somewhat less than I had hoped for but much better than my other 4WD options (pickup truck). At least it uses regular gas. I have a long (700 ft), steep driveway and we've had a lot of snow this year. After learning how to use the AWD correctly by going very easy on the gas until it figures out how to distribute the power, I have never had a hitch getting home even in 10"-16" snow drifts. I suspect that the folks who wrote about having trouble with the AWD in snow did what I first did--tried to blast up to speed from a standstill--the so-called intelligent AWD seems to require a gradual startup from a stop to get everything engaged. Wheel spinning defeats its effectiveness. I really like the "techy" stuff this car sports. Most of it works well though the Sync stuff is fairly flaky. I can always make a hands-free phone call and that's pretty much all I care about. I cannot get the system to recognize the spoken "USB" when I try to access my iPod, so I have to do that from the touch screen. The blindside warning, rearview camera and proximity warnings are so far reliable and helpful. The HID headlights are awesome! And the foot-kick operated tailgate is much more useful than I anticipated. What would I improve? The MyFordTouch/Sync system would be better replaced by Apple's Siri. The center console is too deep for its opening. The gas mileage could be better, but that may require doing something about the weather--cold and snow do not promote high mileage. I'm not convinced of the value of 19" tires--a recent pothole event has cost me $229 for a single replacement! A somewhat bigger gas tank would be nice. Bottom line: before buying the Escape, I tested the RAV4, the CRV and the RDX, all with AWD. The Escape was by far the most fun to drive and the quietest with comfort equal to the better of the alternatives. These features continue to please and I am very happy with the car. I have recommended this version to several friends and relatives."

Overall...

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "EcoBoost engine at 240hp is fun to drive"

Cons: "MyFordTouch sync software is a bit buggy"

"EcoBoost engine at 240hp provides awesome acceleration when needed! Intelligent 4 AWD system handling in the snow is great. Was unable to get the car to slide even at 4000 RPM. Actual mileage is less than advertised, at 20mpg around town, and 24mpg on the freeway, but that is the cost of a 240hp, AWD vehicle. MyFordTouch sync software is still a little buggy with v3.5.1, but overall works very well."

Loved this SUV!

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

I want this car

"I wanted to rent an SUV for a out of town family wedding and was given the 2013 Ford Escape. Absolutely loved it! Held 4 adults with luggage comfortably. Smooth, powerful,low gas mileage ride, easy to handle and great looking! Am now considering buying one."

See if you qualify for