• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2007 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1169 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

its the escape pod

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "visability versatility they will last"

Cons: "small. engine is sideways difficult to service"

"Engine and transmission seem solid. Front end will wear out if you are rough on it."

Not too shabby for my first SUV

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, lots of storage space"

Cons: "Squeaks and rattles"

"I've had this for just over a year now and overall it's been pretty good. The only reason I don't give it a whopping two thumbs up is due to money I've spent on repairs that were actually very simple but not detected by two repair shops. Let me explain: Shortly after purchase it had troubles starting. I thought it was just cold weather (Idaho cold season can be brutal) and that maybe the battery had issues. After it finally stopped starting in the morning I jumped it and it worked the rest of the day, till the next morning, then I'd repeat the jumping. Did this a few times before I had to replace the battery. Worked fine for a while until it again died on me. Took it to a local auto repair shop who claimed the alternator needed replacing. I bought a recycled alternator and replaced it myself (which is actually extremely difficult on this vehicle, it's located under the engine but above the suspension) to save money. We did discover the wiring connector to the alternator was extremely worn and frayed, so we replaced that too. I tested the supposedly bad alternator at Auto Zone and it tested good, so I thought I'd just keep it and sell it. Well, day after our repair the Escape once again died. Had it towed to a Ford Service Center who told me the alternator and battery both needed replacing. I had them put the old alternator back in without replacing the battery and since then it's worked fine. So long story short, I spent $700+ for a repair that would've cost a fraction of that had they not just assumed it was the alternator. Lastly, there's been a continuous loud rattle in the front of the vehicle. One repair shop told me it was the sway bar links. I replaced both in front, and the rattle remains and it drives me INSANE!! The SUV sounds like a rickety old beat up car because of it and I'm not about to pour more money into this right now."

Very good vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, great in snow lots of room for stuff"

Cons: "interior materials are low budget"

"Have had this vehicle for close to 8 years and am overall satisfied with it. Reliability has been good, 3 hybrid component repairs in 8 years totaling around $1900. Otherwise very reliable. First set of brakes lasted 98,000 miles and second set passed inspection at 152,000 miles.Used mostly for commuting but also a few road trips/ college trips per year. Gas mileage has been 28.02 MPG cumulative average for the first 7 years though it appears to be dropping a little recently. Was getting over 29 MPG with original tires but they were loud and didn't handle very well. Very good mileage for an all wheel drive vehicle. This car easily goes through a foot or more of wet snow up the steep hills in southeastern PA near my home. I've never gotten stuck even in the three 20 inch snowfalls we had a few years ago. It still runs like new, no rattles and engine doesn't burn a drop of oil. I'm hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it which will be about 2 more years. Doesn't handle like a Mazda or have an interior as nice as a Hyundai but is good enough in all the other categories important to me."

Ford Hit A Homerun with Escape ***** 5 Star Enjoy

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "The XLT model with 3.0 L, sunroof, 4 WD, roof rack"

Cons: "MPG only 15ish city and 24 Hwy"

"The looks, feel and driving of my Ford Escape has been fantastic and care free. Just passed 160k miles and only look back on normal maintenance requirements for the past 9 years. The 3.0 L continues to provide that bit of extra power to pull boat, trailer and minor 4 wheel drive required. Firestone has put 2 sets of tires on over the years and surprised on life of tread wear. This is my 3rd Ford with the 3.0 L and it has been the best. The XLT model with 3.0 L, sunroof, 4 WD, roof racks, running boards and leather has been a GREAT package."

Solid, reliable truck.

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

"This was my wife's truck. Normal wear and tear, but otherwise a very solid, dependable truck. It had no problem towing two snowmobiles w/ trailer."