2006 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1226 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Very nice small SUV

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

"I have enjoyed my Ford Escape. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned with few mechanical problems, mostly normal wear and tear. For an SUV it gets very good gas mileage, even still being over 10 years old. I will most likely buy another other one once this one has seen its better days. I recommend this vehicle if you are looking for a small, yet versitile SUV."

just turn the key and go

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cons: "location of the ignition is awkward"

"I have owned this car since 2005 and have never had any major problems with it. I do the maintenance, the oil changes etc. It starts up it goes, its dependable - it handles well in snow and slush though the front wheel drive took some getting used to- previously I drove standard transmission fords. Am a ford person thru and thru. Love the compact size of this SUV and can still pack it full of stuff- back seat is a little tight but.... its only us and the dogs."

Great Value

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

"The only problem I had was transmission trouble at 70,000 miles. A fellow rebuilt it for me for $1,400 and provided a 36/36 warranty. The original tires lasted 95,000 miles and it still has the original brakes. I averaged 27.5 MPG on the highway when using 100% gasoline."

Love this vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, comfortable with decent MPG."

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 7 years, put over 200,000 miles on her and have not had major issues! Largest expense was a new alternator (approx. $450). Other than that it has been all routine maintance: oil changes, and tires. It even gets decent gas mileage, ranging on average for me at 22-24 MPG. I have moved several times in the past, and other than large pieces of furniture can fit just about everything in the vehicle, when folding the back seats, great size trunk in general too!"

Could not be more happy!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Reliability and utility."

Cons: "15 city mpg"

"We bought this car new and have been driving, towing, touring, commuting for the last 12 years with this dependable Ford. I use it now for my daily commuting to work and around town. The CD player gave out last year but everything else still works. We have dutifully performed oil changes and beside tires/breaks we have only had to replace the water pump but at 10 years I consider that regular maintenance. My only knock at this point is the gas mileage and the fact that it is starting to feel old, but with no car payments for the last 7+ years I truly could not be happier."

Satisfaction

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Reliable!!!!!"

Cons: "4x4 package a little slower 20 mpg not 22"

"8 years later this SUV has been awesome! In 8 years of good service just had to RECENTLY tune up along with PCV valve! 91000 miles of greatness!!!"

I don't want to get rid of this vehicle!!

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very sturdy and but comfortable."

Cons: "You need to rotate the tires every 5000 miles"

"This was my first 4X4 SUV. It's got 150000 on the odometer and runs like the day I bought it. I have had no major issues with it and gets decent gas mileage as long as you don't do jack rabbit starts. It rides great (not soft but firm which I like) and you can haul lots of stuff with the 65 Cubic feet of cargo room. I have replaced a few items on it because they wore out(sun roof and cruise control switch). It has plenty of go power but still gets decent gas mileage (23 to 25 on the highway). It goes through snow like a tank and I have never been stuck in the snow. I love that you can lock it in 4 wheel drive if you need to. I can't think of any downsides to the vehicle. I travel alot and get to rent lots of vehicles and I haven't found one that I really am dying to buy, I like my Escape to much. It does what I need it to do. My dealership tells me that driving it to 200,000 won't be a problem. The only down side is that you have to rotate the tires every 5000 miles or they will wear unevenly but that is normal for an AWD SUV."

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"When I got this car, at 15,000miles, it had been used as a rental in late 2005. I have had this car for 2 yrs since and put on 40,000 miles. It has performed excellently accept for a slight delay in acceleration when I try to floor the pedal (which I rarely do). I luv the fact that I can fold down the back seat and lie comfortably inside (I am 5'4"). By putting in a bin, I can also store my stuff and with the convenient rear glass door, I can reach them without having to open the rear cargo door. This car is by far the safest car I have been in. When I had my accident in this car, I barely felt anything. The front bumper crumbled to absorb most of the shock. Although I had to replace the whole bumper. The SUV being a little higher than standard cars allows me to see traffic much further ahead helping me avoid crashes. Unlike most SUV which are big and cumbersome, the Escape provided manuveurabilty of ordinary cars. Only draw back is that I should have gotten the Hybrid version, cause the SUV takes alot of gas. Overall its still a great car."

Excellent Sporty Utility Vehicle Fords made!

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Best overall SUV ever! Fun, Sporty and FORD TOUGH"

Cons: "No Heated seats!"

"The new Escapes don't even compare to this 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. I work in construction and this vehicle has taken on rough terrian and the heaviest winters and nothing stops her. I enjoy having the utility rack ontop to secure my Kayaks and tow package for pulling my boat to the lakes. Yes, you can say this vehicle is FORD TOUGH! Now FORD get back to work and get a new sports utility design in the works because the new Ford Escape is falling flat. I believe my next sport utility will be the new Subaru Forester."

Would buy this again.

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Bought this vehicle used with 20,000 miles. Little to limited maintenance. Changed oil every 3,000 miles. Starts everytime, great handling, super 4 wheel drive characteristics. Hopefully Ford has kept up with its standards."

Wonderful vehicle, only one issue thus far!

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "Everything...'cept..."

Cons: "exhaust issues."

"The XLS has been an awesome vehicle...the only issue was pertaining to the exhaust- the third (standard) catalytic converter had gotten stopped up and needed to be removed. Other than this issue it has been great, gas mileage is very appealing and is great as it is a four cylinder. The interior is very comfortable and stylish without being unpractical. Just be sure to treat your bumpers to prevent discoloration. The spare should be full-sized as well, but that is an easy fix. I absolutely love my car, it has been a joy so far and I am in love with it. <3"

Good Quality Vehicle

By on Saturday, February 20, 2010

"I bought my wife this vehicle for her Birthday / Christmas present in January 2007. She loves it and still hasn't decided to trade it in yet as of February 2010. For those of you whom don't know anything about the Ford Escape XLT Sport, it's a 3.0 Liter V6 on demand 4 wheel drive. It is a front wheel drive sport utility that automatically engages the rear tires with less than 7/10 of an inch of traction loss. The interior controls are typical and easy to read. Interior room is as to be expected in a midsized SUV. The cargo area can be expanded by folding the back seats down flat which is the norm for most SUV's now. She has only had one problem with this vehicle. The alternator failed at about 25 thousand miles, but it didn't leave her stranded and she was able to drive it directly to the dealership as soon as the battery light indicator came on. Ford replaced the part and gave her a loaner vehicle for the 2 days that she was without her Escape. This is the only reason I gave the reliability 4 stars instead of 5. We live in the Adirondacks and it can snow a great deal sometimes. This vehicle has proved itself to be fantastic in winter and has never been off the road due to weather. I have been very pleased that it has kept my family safe during less than favorable conditions. Would I recommend this vehicle to others? I absolutely would!"

Love my car... but

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"I love my ford escape but at 70,000 it's starting to have problems (muffler fell off, emergency brake had to be replaced, spring came out of motor valve, moon roof motor has been replaced twice). I love my car, how it feels, how it looks, how it drives, but I question the quality, to be having these kinds of problems at 70,000."

my second Escape

By on Monday, December 17, 2007

"With over 100,000 miles on my second Escape, I now have over 250,000 miles on two Escapes. My first was an '01. I like the floor shift on the '06 over the too long column shift on the '01. I miss the traction of 4WD on my '01, except I prefer the additional fuel mileage of my FWD '06. I wish the FWD had traction control. Ground clearance is good for snow, but I wouldn't take an Escape off road. Amazing cornering for a vehicle so tall, and terrific power. Nimble and forgiving, easy to drive. Short wheelbase busy ride annoys my wife. Exciting performance shows that it is a Mazda co-design. I used to own a Mazda. I used to own a '92 Toyota Corolla Wagon, but this Escape is taller, roomier, twice as heavy, twice as powerful, has proven more reliable, and gets about the same fuel mileage. Quiter ride and better grip with Michelin tires. Quieter engine and awesome throttle response with full synthetic motor oil."

Blown away

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"For a while my wife had wanted an Escape and with the gas prices soaring this spring/summer she said she wanted a hybrid. After seeing the 2008's we both agreed we liked the exterior styling of the 2007 models much better. We were able to find an 07 with every available option and with only 6000 miles (the previous owner took an unexpected retirement and bought a large boat so he traded this vehicle in for a large F series to haul his boat). We've had the vehicle for a few weeks and these are our impressions beginning with the positives. The POWERTRAIN is exceptional. We get fuel economy as advertised. I found with a smooth gas pedal and low speed city driving I can approach 40 miles per gallon! The Constant Variable Transmission is exceptionally smooth as there are no gear shifts occuring. The constant switching of the powertrain from electric only to gas plus electric to gas only to recharging the batteries during coastdowns and braking is nearly seemless. An untrained person would never know this switching is occuring. Word from Ford development engineers is the powertrain is bulletproof and should never fail. The only component that will need servicing in the future will be the batteries and though I understand they are quite expensive, should be more than paid for by the money saved with fuel. The electronic message center is super cool. It has a navigation system which has worked very well. The sound system is all I could ask for in a vehicle of this type. The field of vision is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. There is also good back seat room and adequate storage room behind the back seats. Though I've read about some people thinking storage was inadequate, we feel it is good. The center console, glove box, and door pockets all offer front passenger storage options and there are two front seat drink holders in the console. If I were designing my perfect vehicle I would change just a few things. There is a slightly moderate amount of interior road noise which is really not too bad, however I would try to make it quieter. Also the vehicle tends to wander slightly, especially on highways though this may be a funtion of a short wheelbase vehicle and low rolling resistance tires combined with 4 wheel drive. Finally the interior though premium seems like it could have been made a little more plush. The leather seating material is a little stiff as opposed to soft leather I find in luxary vehicles. We would highly recommend the hybrid Escape to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class."

Second one!

By on Sunday, May 20, 2007

"I loved my 2003 Escape so much but was gettting up close to 100,000 without the extended warranty. What did I trade it in for? ANOTHER Escape! Very pleased w/ my new 2007 Escape."

Best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable,"

"One of the must reliable vehicles I've owned. The V6 has good power, tows trailers well, if you floor it will push you back in seat and break the tires loose. Lots of cargo room, with or with out the back seats folded down."

The most comfortable car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "I think my review pretty well tells them all"

Cons: "As mentioned the AC compressor"

"I have owned the Escape since new with the only problem being a cracked AC compressor that had to be replaced (however we live in a very hot area and it gets usage all the time at least 8 months of the year) I have a bad back and have found this the most comfortable seating I have ever found. My biggest fear is getting a new vehicle and never finding one as comfortable. This is the only vehicle that gives me the support and comfort where I can drive for hours with no discomfort. I also find the gas mileage good for the size of the vehicle. I live in a hilly area and find the in town mileage is about 25 mpg. However, my highway mileage is usually in the range of 34 mpg. The car has held up well with no work done other than regular service and the one problem with the AC compressor. The paint is still like new (other than a couple of parking lot door dings). The leather interior and carpets are still like new (I keep floor mats in the car). The leather is still soft and supple with no cracks or tears. I love the cargo area and find the fold down rear seats great for over size items. We occasionally have our two granddaughters and find it easy to install the child safety seats. The original price was a little high, but I think it was well worth the expense and just hope I can find another car I like as well when it comes time to get a new one."

LOVED this car!

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reason: needed more space

Pros: "Fun to drive all year round! Great gas mileage!"

Cons: "rethink if you have small kids."

"I bought my 2003 Ford Escape XLS in January of 2005 with 70000 miles on it. It was a program car, hence the higher mileage. It was awesome. Extremely reliable. Great clearance height for awesome winter driving without 4WD. I was impressed with this SUV for having a comfortable ride, good gas mileage for an SUV, roomy and lots of space for hauling things with the back seat folded down. The A/C was as cold as cold could be and it always started in the winter months without issue. I hit a deer once with it going about 55 MPH and barely felt the impact. I felt very safe in this SUV. The damage was minimal so I had it repaired. The only reason I sold it was because we had a child and there wasn't enough room when we went on long trips with a pack and play, stroller, luggage, and all the other things kids come with. The only money I ever put into it was replacing coils which isn't expensive if you know how to do it yourself (my brother did it for me). Tires can be a little pricey too (a set of 4 ran me about $600 with install and everything). I will totally buy another one after our kids are bigger and don't need strollers and pack and plays."

Great high school and college car

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Got this car when I was a sophomore in high school with 34,000 miles. I am about to complete my 4th year in college and have had no major issues with it at 95,000 miles. It's a little loud on country interstate at above 70. At only 4 cylinders, accelerating up hills on the interstate above 75mph can be painful. However I have gotten it up to well over 100. It's been averaging around 20miles to a gallon with my lead foot."

I have been very content with this car.

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very safe"

Cons: "Found nothing wrong with it."

"For the most part, this vehicle has been at the top with me in performance and comfort. A few minor repairs I've had done to it and it still gives me the quality I like in a car. If I could, I'd keep it forever, but as it is, I will need to go with another of its kind or something larger. My goal is to get a newer F150...not brand new, but near it."

I love my 2005 Escape. It's a great car!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car."

Cons: "It is not 4 wheel drive."

"I bought my 2005 Esacpe in 2007 because I needed a winter car. It I has been a wonderful car with next to nothing spent on repairs. I feel safe driving in it and the interior is very spacious and comfortable."

Great little car. I love it!

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

"I have had this car since it was a year old: It's a 2001. The road to our place is a mountain road, half of it unpaved. I have been told by others who ride in it that it handles the road better than anything they have been on this road in. Pretty large interior for a small SUV."

Will get another one!

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "It's ALL good!"

"I bought this car 8 years ago. I drove it, then my daughter drove it and now I'm driving it again. I love this car! I will definitely buy another another one when this one finally quits. I've had to make some repairs but my mechanic tells me it's good for another 70K miles at least. He has one with over 200K miles. It's a great little work horse with amazing pick up. Never a hesitation or a hiccup. I just hope the new "redesigned" Escape coming out is as good a this one."

escape #2

By on Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"This is my second Escape. Had a 2001 and put 93,000 miles on it in 6 years. Only problem was an oil leak and bad O2 sensor, both repaired under warranty. What I like best about the escape is, it seats five people in relative comfort, has enough power with the v-6 engine, is easy to park. Small on the outside and big on the inside.Next escape will be a 4 cylinder for better gas mileage."