2006 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1192 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

335,000 Miles and still running strong

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pros: "Just an all out great vehicle."

"I have had this vehicle for 10 years now and the only thing that went wrong was a fuel pump and a transmission, all in all a great vehicle, great gas milage and reliable."

First Escape

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "Good size, lotsa room inside, good ergonomics"

Cons: "Fuel economy, lotsa noise inside, engine drone"

"Only have had this car a month but have been happy with it. almost 11 years old and it's very solid. no squeaks or rattles anywhere and everything seems to be holding up well. Not sure if that's a testimony to Ford quality or the previous owner taking care of it. Either way I'm impressed"

great size but terrible gas mileage

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "great size, decent value"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"Overall, the escape was a good vehicle. It was a perfect size for one person with a dog and occasional passengers. Roomy seating, sufficient hauling area. Horrible gas mileage, however, like 14 mpg! I was very satisfied with the value I got from it and loved having no payments for a few years. I no longer have this vehicle becasue it randomly caught on fire last week. I went to turn around in a parking lot and heard a "pop" and it immediately starting smoking and burning under the hood. Needless to say, I am now car shopping."

great family car for 13 years

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

"My dad bought the escape 2nd hand in practically new condition, in 2002 or 2003. Passed it down to me in 2007 when my mom got a new kia sportage. It's held together just as well as the 6 year newer kia. It's ran perfect, except for the time my sister in law ran it out of oil & blew the engine :( replaced the engine with a 60,000 mile used engine, & it's ran great since the swap. The v6 engine is a stud. My only complaint with this car has been that the stereo doesn't sound good, even after adding subs and an aftermarket cd player - not sure if it's the acoustics or cheap factory speakers, but it just won't drown out the road noise, which can be pretty significant. Been a great car though."

Absolutely Loved This Car - 2004 Ford Escape

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Low Maintenance, Easy to drive, Relable"

Cons: "Texas Heat, some upholstery came loose"

"Let me say that in the past 10 years I have had friends that have had 2 to 3 different cars because of problems they have had. None of them owned a Ford Escape. I cannot not stress enough how liable this car has been for me. The main reason I have kept for sooo long! You know when you have a good thing why change it. It has been low maintenance, great running car. The pick up this car has can leave a lot of other make cars in the dust. I enjoy the size, not too big and not too small. I will have to say I am not that impressed with the newer styles that the Escape has changed to. I still see several of us older models on the road still running strong. Love, Love this car!"

A very good 4 wheel SUV

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive and very reliable"

Cons: "Not happy with Ford dealership prices for repairs!"

"Purchased it new and have enjoyed it for 10 years and 134,000 miles"

I wish I didn't have so many problems!

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, fun to drive, nice design"

Cons: "A lot of mechanical problems after 100k miles"

"I absolutely love the design, size, versatility and drive of this car. However, since I bought it used 2 years ago I have put almost half of what I paid into repairing it only to have it continuously break down to this day. I bought it used with 2 previous owners with 180k miles on it. After 6 months of having it I had to replace the alternator, radiator, and all three catalytic converters. Since then the catalytic converters have clogged twice. Several mechanics have said that this is a common problem with the Escapes. This may have just been one weird experience with this model but I have not found it very reliable at all."

Winter car

By on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pros: "Versatility and fairly economical. Nice design."

Cons: "A bit tight for big drivers"

"bought my 2007 escape 4wd to get me through the winter. Had moved back to pa from fl. As it has turned out the car is so versatile and "handy" that I drive it most of the time. This was last year for the front end design, which I prefer to the truck like appearance of the newer escapes."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Upholstery stains easily."

"Outside of routine maintenance (brake pads, tires, wheel bearings, fluid changes) I never had a problem with this vehicle in 250k miles. It always starts, avg 23-25 mpg, handles IA winters well, super dependable! Biggest complaint is upholstery stains easily and is difficult to clean. The back seat is not the most comfortable for 3 people. Awesome vehicle for just my husband & I."

Excellent Sporty Utility Vehicle Fords made!

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Best overall SUV ever! Fun, Sporty and FORD TOUGH"

Cons: "No Heated seats!"

"The new Escapes don't even compare to this 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. I work in construction and this vehicle has taken on rough terrian and the heaviest winters and nothing stops her. I enjoy having the utility rack ontop to secure my Kayaks and tow package for pulling my boat to the lakes. Yes, you can say this vehicle is FORD TOUGH! Now FORD get back to work and get a new sports utility design in the works because the new Ford Escape is falling flat. I believe my next sport utility will be the new Subaru Forester."

I love my Escape!

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "great vehicle!"

Cons: "no cons!"

"I've owned my Escape for 10 years. It is the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! In ten years, other than tires and batteries, I've put in a pollution control valve ($80), an idle control valve ($130) and I recently put in new struts and shocks ($490). That's it. How many long term owners can say that? I have no plans to trade in my baby anytime in the near future!"

Escape Review

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

"Auto performed good until about 90k, then all the problems started. Replaced all the front end components. Rust. The major problem is the alarm system. Started to malfunction at various intervals. No fix unless you go to dealer and spend big money for repair. No way to disarm the alarm, your only alternative is to leave the doors unlocked. Many bad reviews regarding the alarm. In all honesty, I would only own an Escape, or any Ford product if it was only given to me."

Love even more today than when I bought it

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "great in the snow, no issues with it at all"

Cons: "No issues, I love it."

"Each day I drive this car, I realize how much value I got when I bought it. My escape gets around great year round, but especially in the snow, and starts no matter what. I keep this car outdoors since I don't have a garage, and even in cold weather it pops right off. The only thing I have done so far is change the oil religiously, brakes, tires, and filters. In addition, the rear window hinge had to be replaced, but I did it myself without any issues at all ($100 fix). I average about 21-25 mpg with mixed driving - highway/city. Everything still feels tight to me. I only wish I had bought two of these when I got this one. As long as you take good care of it, you will not be disappointed if you get one."

My Favorite Ford

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and Dependable"

Cons: "Body Integrity - developed a rust situation early."

"Purchased my 2004 Ford Escape in 2007 with 49000 miles on it. The car is an excellent vehicle with a reliable and dependable history. The only problems I ever encountered with this vehicle was two ignition coils failed when I was on vacation in 2013. I believe it was only the number 5 coil that failed and the dealership replaced the wrong one first, then realized it was the number 5 coil, not the three. All be it, this vehicle served me well. The body was excellent with the exception of the drivers side rear door and lower quarter. Rust began when the vehicle was approximately 3 or 4 years old. The rest of the body was excellent. Overall, this vehicle will always be one of my favorite Fords."

Great vehicle, have had it for 12 years.

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Hwy mpg-25-26, lots of room w/ seats down in back"

Cons: "can be noisy on highway"

"The main trouble I had in this car was having to replace the air bag sensor for both passenger and driver side, that was expensive and annoying but seems to be a fairly common issue with this car - not sure if the newer models fixed this problem. Overall I am very pleased, I have camped in the back of it (I'm 5'8), had it for over 12 years and will probably get the new escape for my next car."

the best

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

I don't own this car
Reason: gift

Pros: "beautiful inside and out"

"This was my first SUV and I will never forget it...the nine years I had it showed me why I love Ford...I now have a 2014 Escape and I love, love, love it."

owned for 8 years. Never let me down.

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "small, park anywhere. Great ride, mileage"

Cons: "no tow pkg, small gas tank"

"I bought this car from dealer in 2006. It had 11,000 miles and was traded because the man wanted something bigger. From the time I took passion, It has been used as a truck, a moving van, something to pull trailers with, and a great traveling automobile. It gets good gas mileage(26-33) depending on how you drive. The interior is spacious and can fit 5 adults and has room in cargo hold for 4 children or 2 adults. I have always loved this car because it is so versatile and great looking too."

low mileage due to my job ,merchant seamen, at sea

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage , and handles supurb"

Cons: "only that im' selling it."

"Garage kept-used only to travel to and back from port of call. Also has key pad entry. No longer needed due to retired. Has only been driven once a month in town to keep it up. New battarie installed last month. Hate to sell it, but have no need of two low milage suv,s GREAT DEAL"

Love this Car, Now I want a new one.

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Power, ride and looks"

"This car has been a wonderful experience. I have had it for the last 10 years and now I want a new one. Not sure of the eco-boost, but at the end of the year I'm going to try it. I hope it will be as reliable as this one has been."

My Escapes exterior and motor fell apart in a year

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Ideal interior set up and style for me."

"This vehicle has cost me thousands of dollars in motor repair and body repair on top of the recalls in less than a year. I did buy it used at 129,000 miles now at 155,000 however with in less than 24 hours of owning the vehicle i had it towed back to the dealership i bought it from because it could not accelerate anymore. An engine coil failed and cost over $300.00 for the repair come to find out this specific year/make/model is reputable for coils failing continuously for the life of the vehicle and will cost up to hundreds of dollars every time for repair labor and parts. I paid $8,000.00 total for this vehicle. Looks like I'll never Escape the Escape."

Big Mistake

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "I like the shape, great pickup w/6HP"

Cons: "electrical, mechanical, body"

"I knew better than to purchase a new-year-new-model, off the lot American made vehicle. Comparing the Escape to the CRV and RAV (and others) I got greedy and made my final decision based upon "more bang for the buck" vs. dependability and reliability reports. The Escape with it's V6 engine, larger cargo/interior space, tinted windows, sunroof, spare in trunk(not on back, important in a town like Boston) and a superlative stereo system, compared to the CRV and RAV, even with out of pocket options/extras it was a better "deal" than the other 2 whose dealers refused to match the price. I chose options over common sense. Even so, I was hesitant, having owned other American cars in the past, knowing that the Escape had no history, repair records and had yet to be driven by consumers there were no complaint records. Those initial reports began surfacing in 2003. I made a mistake and should have unloaded the car while it still had value over $12. In addition to the 7+ recalls the cost to own the car has been astronimical, at least 50% over what the MFSRP would have been had the dealer factored in electrical, mechanical and body failures not including the relentless, unending nickle&and dime costs to keep the car running. For example the ABS, AirBag, SeatBelt, Battery, automatic gearshift, SunRoof , driver side window failures have been relentless. Some repairs were covered by recalls but not all and certainly not the associted, out of pocket costs for repairs *after* the recall work was performed. Factoring in downtime & lost wages (self-employed business owner), wear and tear+ oil and gas to get car into shop repeatedly add up. Factor in small costs like $100 yr. AAA if only for "free" towning, well you get it. But it's the cost of personal downtime including total loss of peace of mind which has turned me away from ever owning another American manufactured car. It became so bad that I would pat the car kindly when it started, I'd cheer it on if it ran with no issues for 12-48 hours and I'd thank it at night when I was able to drive past the repair shop. I tried not to yell at it for being unreliable at the worst possible time for fear of jinxing it further. The only part of the car which has held up is the engine, certainly not insignificant, but with only 61.3K miles over 14 years the engine should run but is completely irrelevant when it came to Trade-In - including at the Ford Dealership where it was purchased and where all the repair records live. They know what's wrong with the car, not what's right with it, and that will affect its value, so using the Dealer for repairs has actually backfired, despite that I have maintained this car perfectly and exactly to manual's recommended standards or more. The relentless and unending nickle and dime repairs such as repeated driver side window failure, to the $300 cost to disable the sunroof which would have cost $1400 to replace because it was not reparable because for no reason it slid off the trac. 90% of said failures have taken place about 15 minutes outside the [useless] 3 year/36,000 mi. Warranty. Have I mentioned body failures, interior and exterior with rust becoming a major problem. In the end I've paid more than 50% over the MFSRP, fully-loaded, had they factored in repairs. Which explains whey the dealer was pushing (down my throat) an Extended Warranty, a philsopyy for which I take issue: Dealer is telling me that the car, the final cost being around $25000 ,will not perform after 3 years, hence to save me in major repairs I should add another $2000-3000 to the cost, upfront, only minutes after negotiating the cost to own. I read the fine print of EW and declined, not only in principal but in practicality: only certain failures were covered and I decided to save on the upfront additional $3000 and planned to use the savings towards the projected list of anticipated repairs. Of the 6 cars I've owned since 1972, the Escape is the proverbial straw on camels back and it is the last time I will ever own a car. Leasing, or perhaps renting a Zip, are my only options. At least with a leased vehicle I can anticipate being tortured only in 2 year increments, which is approximately the same amount of time that non-foreign cars are "Built to Last"."

My best friend

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Cargo space, ability to sit higher, towing ability"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"EMT response vehicle initially in a bright yellow to be seen. Long Distance Traveling on a regular basis. Short commutes to work. Hauled U-Haul Trailer multiple times for college move ins. Packed camping supplies for the weekend and still had enough room. Baseball Team events with boys and gear. Moved house and home using this car. Cargo space enough to put in mattresses or large screen TV. The only downfall is gas mileage and how the gear shift blocks access to stereo system. I'll be losing a friend when I sell this. Was in a rear end (my rear end )collision. Their car was an accordion my bumper and tow package was titlted with no air bag deployment. Sturdy vehicle. Love my sliding sun/moon roof!"

constant mechanical problems

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cons: "poor craftsmanship"

"every time it rains the gas pedal sticks. lots of sqeeks and noises don't trust it"

its the escape pod

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "visability versatility they will last"

Cons: "small. engine is sideways difficult to service"

"Engine and transmission seem solid. Front end will wear out if you are rough on it."

Not too shabby for my first SUV

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, lots of storage space"

Cons: "Squeaks and rattles"

"I've had this for just over a year now and overall it's been pretty good. The only reason I don't give it a whopping two thumbs up is due to money I've spent on repairs that were actually very simple but not detected by two repair shops. Let me explain: Shortly after purchase it had troubles starting. I thought it was just cold weather (Idaho cold season can be brutal) and that maybe the battery had issues. After it finally stopped starting in the morning I jumped it and it worked the rest of the day, till the next morning, then I'd repeat the jumping. Did this a few times before I had to replace the battery. Worked fine for a while until it again died on me. Took it to a local auto repair shop who claimed the alternator needed replacing. I bought a recycled alternator and replaced it myself (which is actually extremely difficult on this vehicle, it's located under the engine but above the suspension) to save money. We did discover the wiring connector to the alternator was extremely worn and frayed, so we replaced that too. I tested the supposedly bad alternator at Auto Zone and it tested good, so I thought I'd just keep it and sell it. Well, day after our repair the Escape once again died. Had it towed to a Ford Service Center who told me the alternator and battery both needed replacing. I had them put the old alternator back in without replacing the battery and since then it's worked fine. So long story short, I spent $700+ for a repair that would've cost a fraction of that had they not just assumed it was the alternator. Lastly, there's been a continuous loud rattle in the front of the vehicle. One repair shop told me it was the sway bar links. I replaced both in front, and the rattle remains and it drives me INSANE!! The SUV sounds like a rickety old beat up car because of it and I'm not about to pour more money into this right now."