• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2005 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1163 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Reliable

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "No major repairs over last 7 years of ownership!"

Cons: "Gas mileage not great, shifter in front of radio"

"Great price, reliable, very few maintenance issues throughout the years, never left me stranded, recommend!"

bk.seats dont go flush,wiperturn swtch complicated

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Compact versatle, handles well"

Cons: "turn swtchwiper/washer frnt&rear complicated"

"Nice combo (car/truck/SUV). Back seats don't fold all the way down. The turn/ front and rear wiper/washer switch is complicated. Compact for versatility, low gas mileage in town, fair on road. No major complaints other than those mentioned above, otherwise, a nice affordable vehicle.I would recommend if person was looking for this style vehicle."

Just the right size for me.

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "fair price, fun to drive, easy to park"

"Have really enjoyed this car. It's very reliable."

I love this vehicle

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort, dependable"

Cons: "no remote start"

"I bought this vehicle brand new in 2004. Though I love it so much, I have really beat it to death and it is time to retire it. It is burning through approximately one quart of oil every week and a half. I am hoping to get another vehicle that I enjoyed as much. The gas mileage was awesome for this type of vehicle. The automatic switch to four wheel drive allowed me to continue to observe the changing weather conditions and I didn't have to switch it manually into 4x4. The vehicle was built on a car frame, which makes the maneuvering much easier. The vehicle is very comfortable. I really don't require much with my taste, so I bought one that had limited extras and that worked well for me. I did have some recent problems with brake lines dry rotting and connections rusting, but otherwise no major complaints. The remote has recently started not opening the drivers side door at times."

I this is a very good it is very on gas mileage,

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "fits very well in parking spaces"

Cons: "running boards need replaced"

"this car would fit on many roads both in the US and other countries. I would look for this same type of car in another country"

Reliable & Great Gas Mileage

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG, Good Visibility, Good GPS System"

Cons: "Weak AC."

"We've owned this car since purchasing it new in 2006. It still gets great gas mileage, around 30MPG average with a city/highway mix. It's been very reliable, still using the original brakes (that regenerative braking and drive line electrical generation takes it easy on the brakes). All I've had to repair/replace: The Front driver's side axle; who knows why; it gave lots of warning and was around $500. The windshield, but that's from rock damage, can't really fault Ford there; however, the passenger window exploded on me; I though someone shot something, but the UHP told me sometimes that just happens. In 2014, I put a hitch on it to tow a jet ski, and you'd never know it was there, pulls fine (under 1000 lbs) and I can't even see an affect on the gas mileage. One downfall, the AC has always worked, but it's always been weak, even compared to other Fords (I've owned many), and yes, I am still accounting for when the AC kicks off when the engine shuts down in electric only mode. She is nice and quiet in electric mode. Really, this has been a better car than I thought it would be; my wife wanted the SUV, I wanted something sportier, but she's a real keeper now, hope to get 200K out of her. Did replace the plugs at 80K."

2001 RED FORD ESCAPE. COLD AIR AND HOT HEATER

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Great price $2,200 and just turned to 100,000 mile"

Cons: "Catalytic converter may need attention."

"COLD AIR CONDITIONING IN THE SUMMER AND HOT HEAT IN THE WINTER. GOOD EXTERIOR WITH NO NICKS AND PINGS.THIS CAR STAYS IN THE GARAGE WHEN NOT IN USE. INTERIOR IS GOOD ALSO. CATALYTIC CONVERTER NEEDS ATTENTION. NEW BRAKE PADS.POWER LOCKS AND WINDOWS. BACK WINDOW WINDSHIELD WIPER. ONLY 1 OWNER."

Great car!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Great buy! Handles well. Dependable."

Cons: "Nylon seat covers stain--no big deal."

"I bought the car used 5 years ago and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has been very dependable with no major work done on it--just routine maintenance. I get about 24 mpg. The car is comfortable and has plenty of room for luggage, etc. I paid less than $8000 and so it has been a great car at a great price."

Most reliable vehicle I've owned

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Easy to park, great in snow, very reliable"

Cons: "A bit noisy on certain roads, mileage"

"Very reliable SUV, fun 4X4 to drive in the snow. I am considering getting a 2013 Ford Escape with Eco-boost to cut down on gas and driving costs. I have been very happy with my Ford Escape and I have owned it many years now. No complaints. Yes, I recommend the Ford Escape!"

Dependable, stylish and fun to drive!

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

"I have had my Escape for 10 years and I love it! I am giving it to my daughter and buying a new one."

I love this vehicle. Been great to drive and haul

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "safe, easy to handle, great in snow"

Cons: "can't think of any except larger cup holders"

"It's the best vehicle I've ever had and have had it for 12 years. Transmission had to be replaced at 175,000 $2200.00 for used transmission with 85,000 miles on the used one. So far, it runs like a new one. My grandkids love to drive it because it's easy to park, handle and gets you where you want to go. I bought a new used Escape with 12,500 miles and hope to drive it for 12 years. I'm giving the old one to someone in my family and hope it continues to run!"

I have taken very good care of this vehicle

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Excellent condition, looks like it is brand new."

Cons: "It has all the features needed for the mid-west."

"I have met all service dates on time. IO have had no major problems with this car. I plan to keep it at least another three years."

I have taken very good care of this vehicle

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Excellent condition, looks like it is brand new."

Cons: "It has all the features needed for the mid-west."

Its nice having a SUV that is a HYBIRD

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Cons: "HYBRID & A/C $3500 compressor not worth it"

"However compared to our prius HYBRID we previously drove there is a major difference while driving in the state of South Dakota a person usually is exceeding 30mph so I don't get the benefits of the HYBRID very often maybe at some red lights here and there. I really think that FORD could do some improving on making the MPH around 40 to 45 for the HYBRID battery still to work which would be perfect. Otherwise its a very reliably vehicle I've decided that I will be purchasing SUV's from here on out they make good cars for South Dakota weather but I'm not for sure buying another ESCAPE. I'll be buying a new one within the next year or two I always look for gas mileage first and as usual I'll check with the FORD dealership first but as I've learned the hard way on this purchase just because it says HYBRID doesn't mean your going to save gas its just going to cost you more to fix things that break like the A/C compressor on a 7 year old car $3500 that's a 1/3 of the value of my car is it worth it when in South Dakota there's really only maybe 2-3 months you even use the A/C?"

is a very good vehicle. i have been impressed

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "good vehicle, extremely dependable"

Cons: "a bit cramped for 5 people"

"Bought new, driven every mile, would highly recommend as it has been just a super vehicle."

So Disappointed in Ford!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "radio and CD work"

Cons: "poor value for your money!"

"This is my third Ford vehicle and my last one had 255,000 miles when I traded it for the 2006 Ford Escape. I am a school teacher and single Mom of three. I planned on this vehicle being just as reliable as my last two but was I wrong. I just learned that I need a new transmission! I have never owned a vehicle that I had to replace the transmission in and after reading all the complaints from other Ford customers about the same issue with the transmission, I am not purchasing any more Ford vehicles. Ford needs to do the right thing and recall these vehicles and reimburse their customers for the expense of having the transmission replaced."

Good reliable all weather car

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "reliable and affordable"

Cons: "road noise, no bells and whistles"

"Bought the XLT used from a dealer in 2008. Wanted a reliable but affordable AWD vehicle. Researched vehicles in my price range and for the value and ratings I went with the Escape. I have had the car for 6 years now currently have 114K on it and knock on wood, no major issues. Live on the East Coast and have not had an issue when driving in the snow. Obviously I don't go out during a blizzard, but the 'normal' New England snow storms have not been a problem. Only recently have I had a minor rust issue in one wheel well. Otherwise the car is clean, inside and out. The car is garaged at night and I keep it clean and up to date with regular service needs so I know that helps. I guess my only real complaint is road noise, but its an SUV, not a car or a luxury vehicle and honestly its a minor issue for me. I am finally looking to sell it while it is still in overall great condition. Because I have been so satisfied with my Escape I plan on purchasing a 2 year old Escape Limited. For me the Escape has been a solid, reliable and affordable SUV."

Best car I have ever owned and I have had many.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "The size is great for tight places and parking."

Cons: "No exterior temp gauge."

"From day one there has been zero problems with this vehicle - zip,zada,nothing. It has a slightly stiff ride but I like that and I knew that before I bought it. You sit higher than a car and you can see down the road better. I bought the v6 engine and have never been sorry. It has plenty of power for getting onto the freeway quickly. My mileage on the highway is 25 - 26 Mpg and in town 20 - 21 mpg. My neighbor bought a 2006 hybrid and gets 28 - 30 highway and 32 - 33 in town. He just had to pay $6,800. for a battery replacement. You do the math."

dont buy one

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, great for road trips"

Cons: "ford should recalled/fixed, value dropped to fast"

"this would be a great vehicle if ford didn't mess it up when they put it together. now i know it has several problems that are really inexcuseable. shortly after the warranty runs out (before if you are lucky) the spark plugs fry the coils and they fry the computer. this is a $3000 dollar fix if it fixes it, which it did not in our car. bought it used from a dealership, drove it for about a year, it died, we tried to fix it, spent to much money on it, now it sits on a trailer, not running, while we still have to pay the note on it and the insurance. was a diehard ford fan until this."

Like a Toaster...

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

"I bought my hybrid Escape new. I had a 35 mile commute everyday and at almost $5/gal back then it was killing me with the car I was driving. Yet , I still had the need to haul "stuff;" dogs, kids things, band equipment, etc... In my research I found that one pays a premium to get into a hybrid vehicle. So, how long would it be until that premium paid for itself in gas savings? So I did the calculations... For a Toyota Highlander Hybrid that premium was about $4,000. That means at $4.80/gal saving approx 4 gal per tank full it would take about 4 years to reconcile that premium. For the Escape it was the lowest of the bunch... about $1800, and would only take a little over a year to re-coup It's really the best of both worlds—good mileage and plenty of room for stuff. And it has yet to have any major issues. The engine did start to cut out at one point, but the dealership took care of it at no charge. Just normal maintenance has kept it running like an appliance. Very happy with the vehicle."

Best economical car ever owned

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "I have owned this car for last 11 yrs."

Cons: "No cons"

"I love my Escape but am needing something just a bit bigger, maybe a 3rd seat."

PRACTICAL AND EASY TO USE FEATURES

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "the constant velocity transmission is a dream!"

Cons: "the 4WD makes it harder on gas than our FWD"

"From the dual zone front ventilation system to the convenient fold down rear seats, this vehicle has made travel very enjoyable. The incorporation of the rooftop luggage rack provides more than adequate space to transport anything you need. fully loaded, the engine displays no holdback when it comes to the neccessity of additional power."

Worst Car Ever!!!! Would never recommend to anyone

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Reason: horrible engine

Pros: "suv"

Cons: "transmission, engine, alternator, and interior"

"I hate this car! It has been nothing but a money guzzler since the moment I got it! We got this car to take me to college and I have had to put three engines in it (my mistake not selling it after the first one), two alternators, countless spark plugs, one transmission and so many other minor things (ac went out, broken nobs, torn seats). I can not fully describe the hate I have for this car! It is a true Lemon! Never ever will get another ford ever again! I am on my way to get me a Honda right now!"

Love this vehicle!!!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "GREAT PRICE and GREAT MILEAGE!"

Cons: "The 6 slot CD player sometimes gets stuck."

"If I ever buy another vehicle it will be another Ford Escape!"

garage kept runs great, buying new car

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "a very dependable car serviced regularly"

"body is in very good condition. No accidents. goodyear tires.every thing works well. never smoked in."