• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2005 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1173 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Big Mistake

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "I like the shape, great pickup w/6HP"

Cons: "electrical, mechanical, body"

"I knew better than to purchase a new-year-new-model, off the lot American made vehicle. Comparing the Escape to the CRV and RAV (and others) I got greedy and made my final decision based upon "more bang for the buck" vs. dependability and reliability reports. The Escape with it's V6 engine, larger cargo/interior space, tinted windows, sunroof, spare in trunk(not on back, important in a town like Boston) and a superlative stereo system, compared to the CRV and RAV, even with out of pocket options/extras it was a better "deal" than the other 2 whose dealers refused to match the price. I chose options over common sense. Even so, I was hesitant, having owned other American cars in the past, knowing that the Escape had no history, repair records and had yet to be driven by consumers there were no complaint records. Those initial reports began surfacing in 2003. I made a mistake and should have unloaded the car while it still had value over $12. In addition to the 7+ recalls the cost to own the car has been astronimical, at least 50% over what the MFSRP would have been had the dealer factored in electrical, mechanical and body failures not including the relentless, unending nickle&and dime costs to keep the car running. For example the ABS, AirBag, SeatBelt, Battery, automatic gearshift, SunRoof , driver side window failures have been relentless. Some repairs were covered by recalls but not all and certainly not the associted, out of pocket costs for repairs *after* the recall work was performed. Factoring in downtime & lost wages (self-employed business owner), wear and tear+ oil and gas to get car into shop repeatedly add up. Factor in small costs like $100 yr. AAA if only for "free" towning, well you get it. But it's the cost of personal downtime including total loss of peace of mind which has turned me away from ever owning another American manufactured car. It became so bad that I would pat the car kindly when it started, I'd cheer it on if it ran with no issues for 12-48 hours and I'd thank it at night when I was able to drive past the repair shop. I tried not to yell at it for being unreliable at the worst possible time for fear of jinxing it further. The only part of the car which has held up is the engine, certainly not insignificant, but with only 61.3K miles over 14 years the engine should run but is completely irrelevant when it came to Trade-In - including at the Ford Dealership where it was purchased and where all the repair records live. They know what's wrong with the car, not what's right with it, and that will affect its value, so using the Dealer for repairs has actually backfired, despite that I have maintained this car perfectly and exactly to manual's recommended standards or more. The relentless and unending nickle and dime repairs such as repeated driver side window failure, to the $300 cost to disable the sunroof which would have cost $1400 to replace because it was not reparable because for no reason it slid off the trac. 90% of said failures have taken place about 15 minutes outside the [useless] 3 year/36,000 mi. Warranty. Have I mentioned body failures, interior and exterior with rust becoming a major problem. In the end I've paid more than 50% over the MFSRP, fully-loaded, had they factored in repairs. Which explains whey the dealer was pushing (down my throat) an Extended Warranty, a philsopyy for which I take issue: Dealer is telling me that the car, the final cost being around $25000 ,will not perform after 3 years, hence to save me in major repairs I should add another $2000-3000 to the cost, upfront, only minutes after negotiating the cost to own. I read the fine print of EW and declined, not only in principal but in practicality: only certain failures were covered and I decided to save on the upfront additional $3000 and planned to use the savings towards the projected list of anticipated repairs. Of the 6 cars I've owned since 1972, the Escape is the proverbial straw on camels back and it is the last time I will ever own a car. Leasing, or perhaps renting a Zip, are my only options. At least with a leased vehicle I can anticipate being tortured only in 2 year increments, which is approximately the same amount of time that non-foreign cars are "Built to Last"."

My best friend

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Cargo space, ability to sit higher, towing ability"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"EMT response vehicle initially in a bright yellow to be seen. Long Distance Traveling on a regular basis. Short commutes to work. Hauled U-Haul Trailer multiple times for college move ins. Packed camping supplies for the weekend and still had enough room. Baseball Team events with boys and gear. Moved house and home using this car. Cargo space enough to put in mattresses or large screen TV. The only downfall is gas mileage and how the gear shift blocks access to stereo system. I'll be losing a friend when I sell this. Was in a rear end (my rear end )collision. Their car was an accordion my bumper and tow package was titlted with no air bag deployment. Sturdy vehicle. Love my sliding sun/moon roof!"

constant mechanical problems

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cons: "poor craftsmanship"

"every time it rains the gas pedal sticks. lots of sqeeks and noises don't trust it"

its the escape pod

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "visability versatility they will last"

Cons: "small. engine is sideways difficult to service"

"Engine and transmission seem solid. Front end will wear out if you are rough on it."

Not too shabby for my first SUV

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, lots of storage space"

Cons: "Squeaks and rattles"

"I've had this for just over a year now and overall it's been pretty good. The only reason I don't give it a whopping two thumbs up is due to money I've spent on repairs that were actually very simple but not detected by two repair shops. Let me explain: Shortly after purchase it had troubles starting. I thought it was just cold weather (Idaho cold season can be brutal) and that maybe the battery had issues. After it finally stopped starting in the morning I jumped it and it worked the rest of the day, till the next morning, then I'd repeat the jumping. Did this a few times before I had to replace the battery. Worked fine for a while until it again died on me. Took it to a local auto repair shop who claimed the alternator needed replacing. I bought a recycled alternator and replaced it myself (which is actually extremely difficult on this vehicle, it's located under the engine but above the suspension) to save money. We did discover the wiring connector to the alternator was extremely worn and frayed, so we replaced that too. I tested the supposedly bad alternator at Auto Zone and it tested good, so I thought I'd just keep it and sell it. Well, day after our repair the Escape once again died. Had it towed to a Ford Service Center who told me the alternator and battery both needed replacing. I had them put the old alternator back in without replacing the battery and since then it's worked fine. So long story short, I spent $700+ for a repair that would've cost a fraction of that had they not just assumed it was the alternator. Lastly, there's been a continuous loud rattle in the front of the vehicle. One repair shop told me it was the sway bar links. I replaced both in front, and the rattle remains and it drives me INSANE!! The SUV sounds like a rickety old beat up car because of it and I'm not about to pour more money into this right now."