• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2004 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1180 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

Not bad for the $

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Bought the vehicle used (1 year old with 19K) 3 years ago and beyond the recall for the acceleration problem, I have been very satisfied with my Escape. One continuing and nagging problem: noise. Road noise at highway speeds is high, and the engine and tranny make noises (particularly with the A/C on) that I don't care for, but nothing is wrong with anything mechanically and she drives like a champ. What I really like about the Escape is the room and cargo capacity for a vehicle this size. I hae no problem putting heavy, bulky items in the back wiith the rear sets down and the hatch will close and seal. One other minor gripe: the thing is a dirt magnet, particularly inside the doors to the frame and the front wheels - which may or may not come clean in the car wash. Would I buy it again, for the price I paid? Yep - no question."

Tires stay dirty

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"The front tires keep getting dirty from something in the car"

Needs improvement to styling

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"The reason I bought the Ford Escape was because it was certified, low interest rate (4.9%) through Ford Financing and I got a decent trade in value on my car. The 4WD aka AWD 90/10% works great in snow, and it seems to handle the road decent for it's size and power (V6) on any snow covered roads. The things I don't like about this SUV after driving it for a year is it doesn't have much room for my legs or body in the driver seats. If your over or close to 6' tall don't buy this SUV. You will feel cramped sitting in it. Even with the seat completely back it still isn't comfortable. The interior of the Escape is lacking also, compared to other cars/trucks I've own it's lack any type of styling. You can't change the flow of the AC, it will only blows through one vent set. You can't turn off the air flow to cycle from the inside only. So if you smell something nasty like exhaust or etc. outside you'll have to deal with it or turn off all air flow. I feel this SUV is very generic in all area's. The doors don't seal well, so water and dirt are always in the door jam. I worry about salt getting in the door jam and causing rust in the future. (Michigan winters = allot of salt on the roads and on your car/truck) I like it has two cigarettes AC outlets one for your cell phone charger and the other for your radar detector. I wouldn't buy the Ford Escape again or even a Ford product at this point. Ford Motor Company needs to put some solid effort into improving their line of cars and trucks. Making these generic vehicles that will only least a few years isn't going to cut it anymore. This is one reason why Toyota and Honda are destroying their sales. Buy a Jeep, that's what I should of done in the first place. You'll get interior and exterior styling for about the same price."

Expectations met

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"I purchased my Escape 2 weeks before moving from Ohio to California. We drove across the country while the movers followed behind. Our detours included everything from mountainous Yellowstone National Park to flat Wyoming and the Escape handled quite well. I do miss having a 6 cylinder engine but overall I am very happy with the vehicle. I would consider purchasing another Escape when this one is no longer viable, but I will hold onto it as long as I can."