• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2004 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1168 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Not too shabby for my first SUV

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, lots of storage space"

Cons: "Squeaks and rattles"

"I've had this for just over a year now and overall it's been pretty good. The only reason I don't give it a whopping two thumbs up is due to money I've spent on repairs that were actually very simple but not detected by two repair shops. Let me explain: Shortly after purchase it had troubles starting. I thought it was just cold weather (Idaho cold season can be brutal) and that maybe the battery had issues. After it finally stopped starting in the morning I jumped it and it worked the rest of the day, till the next morning, then I'd repeat the jumping. Did this a few times before I had to replace the battery. Worked fine for a while until it again died on me. Took it to a local auto repair shop who claimed the alternator needed replacing. I bought a recycled alternator and replaced it myself (which is actually extremely difficult on this vehicle, it's located under the engine but above the suspension) to save money. We did discover the wiring connector to the alternator was extremely worn and frayed, so we replaced that too. I tested the supposedly bad alternator at Auto Zone and it tested good, so I thought I'd just keep it and sell it. Well, day after our repair the Escape once again died. Had it towed to a Ford Service Center who told me the alternator and battery both needed replacing. I had them put the old alternator back in without replacing the battery and since then it's worked fine. So long story short, I spent $700+ for a repair that would've cost a fraction of that had they not just assumed it was the alternator. Lastly, there's been a continuous loud rattle in the front of the vehicle. One repair shop told me it was the sway bar links. I replaced both in front, and the rattle remains and it drives me INSANE!! The SUV sounds like a rickety old beat up car because of it and I'm not about to pour more money into this right now."

Very good vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, great in snow lots of room for stuff"

Cons: "interior materials are low budget"

"Have had this vehicle for close to 8 years and am overall satisfied with it. Reliability has been good, 3 hybrid component repairs in 8 years totaling around $1900. Otherwise very reliable. First set of brakes lasted 98,000 miles and second set passed inspection at 152,000 miles.Used mostly for commuting but also a few road trips/ college trips per year. Gas mileage has been 28.02 MPG cumulative average for the first 7 years though it appears to be dropping a little recently. Was getting over 29 MPG with original tires but they were loud and didn't handle very well. Very good mileage for an all wheel drive vehicle. This car easily goes through a foot or more of wet snow up the steep hills in southeastern PA near my home. I've never gotten stuck even in the three 20 inch snowfalls we had a few years ago. It still runs like new, no rattles and engine doesn't burn a drop of oil. I'm hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it which will be about 2 more years. Doesn't handle like a Mazda or have an interior as nice as a Hyundai but is good enough in all the other categories important to me."

Ford Hit A Homerun with Escape ***** 5 Star Enjoy

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "The XLT model with 3.0 L, sunroof, 4 WD, roof rack"

Cons: "MPG only 15ish city and 24 Hwy"

"The looks, feel and driving of my Ford Escape has been fantastic and care free. Just passed 160k miles and only look back on normal maintenance requirements for the past 9 years. The 3.0 L continues to provide that bit of extra power to pull boat, trailer and minor 4 wheel drive required. Firestone has put 2 sets of tires on over the years and surprised on life of tread wear. This is my 3rd Ford with the 3.0 L and it has been the best. The XLT model with 3.0 L, sunroof, 4 WD, roof racks, running boards and leather has been a GREAT package."

Solid, reliable truck.

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

"This was my wife's truck. Normal wear and tear, but otherwise a very solid, dependable truck. It had no problem towing two snowmobiles w/ trailer."

So much value

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

"One person incorrectly said back seats are not flush when they go down. You pull up seat bottom and the backs lie flat. My only complaint is the A/C cannot put out enough cooling through the battery alone, but in the scheme of things choosing to use more gas to keep cool when it's really hot outside is minimal. The battery is still going strong."

Reliable

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "No major repairs over last 7 years of ownership!"

Cons: "Gas mileage not great, shifter in front of radio"

"Great price, reliable, very few maintenance issues throughout the years, never left me stranded, recommend!"

bk.seats dont go flush,wiperturn swtch complicated

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Compact versatle, handles well"

Cons: "turn swtchwiper/washer frnt&rear complicated"

"Nice combo (car/truck/SUV). Back seats don't fold all the way down. The turn/ front and rear wiper/washer switch is complicated. Compact for versatility, low gas mileage in town, fair on road. No major complaints other than those mentioned above, otherwise, a nice affordable vehicle.I would recommend if person was looking for this style vehicle."

Just the right size for me.

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "fair price, fun to drive, easy to park"

"Have really enjoyed this car. It's very reliable."

I love this vehicle

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort, dependable"

Cons: "no remote start"

"I bought this vehicle brand new in 2004. Though I love it so much, I have really beat it to death and it is time to retire it. It is burning through approximately one quart of oil every week and a half. I am hoping to get another vehicle that I enjoyed as much. The gas mileage was awesome for this type of vehicle. The automatic switch to four wheel drive allowed me to continue to observe the changing weather conditions and I didn't have to switch it manually into 4x4. The vehicle was built on a car frame, which makes the maneuvering much easier. The vehicle is very comfortable. I really don't require much with my taste, so I bought one that had limited extras and that worked well for me. I did have some recent problems with brake lines dry rotting and connections rusting, but otherwise no major complaints. The remote has recently started not opening the drivers side door at times."

I this is a very good it is very on gas mileage,

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "fits very well in parking spaces"

Cons: "running boards need replaced"

"this car would fit on many roads both in the US and other countries. I would look for this same type of car in another country"