2003 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1208 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Dependable Vehicle

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pros: "Awd, roomy"

Cons: "Thirsty"

"This vehicle is very dependable"

Great Vehicle!

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"Reliable, Safe, Easy to Drive. Perfect in every way."

hate to get rid of car but wife wants new

By on Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pros: "looks great and easy to drive"

"Just had 6 new coils plugs transmission backed flushed and 10.5 quarts meroon5 fluid done"

ONE OF THE BEST VEHICLES I'VE OWNED

By on Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Pros: "GOOD VALUE FOR THE PRICE"

Cons: "HAS TIRE NOISE ALWAYS HAS"

"OWNED VEHICLE SINCE 10,000 MILES HAVE ONLY PUT 2 SETS OF TIRES 2 SETS OF FRONT BRAKES 1 REAR SEAT ALWAYS SERVICED OIL EVERY 5000 AND ROTATE. HAS BEEN A GREAT VEHICLE.EASY TO DRIVE REASONABLE ON GAS AVERAGE 18/21 MPG. WE OWN ITS COUNTER PARTS 2010 MARINER WITH 80K ON II"

Reliable vehicle for average budget

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Reason: I wanted a german car

Pros: "Reliable, spacious, pretty fast"

Cons: "Noisy, rear seats should have A/C"

"I had a 2007 Ford Escape manual transmission. I like driving manual but needed a car with more space. I got the Escape at 120k miles and sold it around 150k miles. The car is reliable. It can get you to long distances without any troubles. I never had to fix mine except the rear left window which wasn't working. It cost me less than $100 to repair. I'd recommend this car to those looking for spacious small SUV with a low budget. The mpg is alright, feels like 18mpg"

Excellent car for the money, got for my daughter

By on Friday, February 06, 2015

Pros: "Good for kids, , affordable V-6 strong, dependable"

Cons: "Storage, styling"

"Got this car new for my daughter, had a lot of zip for a small car. Liked it because it was dependable, just made sure to change the oil on a regular basis. My daughter will sell it now because she now has a Prius which gets much better MPG. The new Escape Titanium has much more in the way of extras. Technology!"

Great vehicle for price

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

"Bought Escape in May of 2004 right after mid year updates. It has been reliable given it is approx 11 years old. I would recommend Ford products to anyone."

Great vehicle, milage 23-25 mpg. Hauls everything

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "Realiabilty, good milage, great ride and interior"

"Great SUV, good milage, great power, towing pkg. hauls everything without drag on engine. Good Medium size SUV, even hauled a refrigerator. Seats fold easily. Paint holds up very well. Only needs regular maintenance like oil change tires and lube, battery. Only one major repair in 10 yrs! Fuel pump. 105,000 miles- same preformance as when purchased. Excellent year for Ford Escape! So good I hate to think about selling and may keep for 2nd vehicle!"

Very reliable, I wish they still made these!

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Great mileage with 4-cylinder 5-speed manual"

Cons: "Wish manual tranny available with more options"

"The last of the truck-like compact SUVs, the older Escapes have a lot of utility and capability. I have near 200,000 miles of trouble-free driving with this one. I wish someone still made a true compact utility (boxy, good rear visibility, opening rear glass), especially with a manual transmission."

most reliable car ever bought

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"Only replaced battery in 10 years. Great to drive. FWD models, however, has traction trouble in snow."

2007 Ford Escape

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"Transmission was replaced in 2011 so the mileage is actually lower."

Love my Escape

By on Saturday, January 17, 2015

Pros: "Styling & dependebility"

"Love the way it looks...very reliable. Mine has the V-6 about 21 mpg.Mine is fully loaded including leather .great visibility and teriffic in the snow"

Never had a problem with this car

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

"I purchased This car new and have no problem with it scene I had it."

my favorite vehicle ever

By on Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pros: "Love driving it, dependable, sun roof, space"

"My Escape is more than 11 years old. I still love driving it. I don't want a new vehicle. I feel safe and comfortable driving it. We get a lot of snow and it is easy to handle in snow. (Actually it is fun to drive in fresh snow)"

Very competent and versatile small SUV

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Great in snow, cargo capacity, towing, reliability"

Cons: "Fuel mileage, stiff seats"

"I bought the 2003 Escape XLS 4WD used in 2006, and still own it today in 2015. It's been the best SUV I've owned and driven, by far. The ride on it is smooth, handling pretty good for an SUV, and despite being more in the "crossover" category, I've found it more than capable for the off-road driving we've done with it. It's also incredibly good in the snow, even fairly deep snow over 6-12" like we've seen a few times in recent years. And I've rarely actually needed to flip it into 4WD, the FWD offers very good traction and performance. The exterior styling kept it looking like traditional SUV's instead of the more rounded and car-like uni-body crossovers that SUV's have transitioned to. Ours has a roof rack and running boards, plus the towing package. The roof rack has come in handy numerous times. And be it towing U-Haul trailers across several states or fully-loaded utility trailer with firewood, it tows loads very well. The interior cargo space is fantastic too, with the fold-flat rear seat. It's incredibly versatile, and the back seat easily fits adults with plenty of legroom. The seats aren't the most comfortable, they are a bit stiff. Compared to newer vehicles, the interior isn't as refined, but for the time it was. Mechanically, we haven't had any significant trouble with it. Mostly we've done maintenance upkeep on it, including a 150k minor overhaul of the engine to replace gaskets, belts, hoses, etc simply because of the age and mileage. I've had 2 ignition coils go bad, but they're easy enough to replace. The only repair that has been a little frustrating was replacing both front axle assemblies due to worn down internal parts. They have to be replaced as a whole unit, so that's an expense to take care of when the time rolls around. The only real negative is the fuel mileage. Ours has the 3.0 V6, and it's hard to top 20 MPG unless it's pure highway driving, in which case we've gotten as high as 23.5 mpg. Usually it's in the 18ish mpg range, pretty predictably. It's not as high as I would have hoped, but certainly better than other SUV's of the day. The check engine light has been on for a couple thousand miles due to the upstream and downstream O2 sensors giving the computer a fault code related to the catalytic converter. I've had this looked at and the exhaust shops have said to ignore it, since it's something related to the E10 gas that is now prevalent. Older vehicles are a little quirky with E10, while newer ones designed for it aren't quite that way. They said unless it starts running badly or we move to a place with emissions testing, that replacing one or all three is a wasted expense given the age of the car now. My experience with this Escape is part of why I later bought a Focus, and why when I need a new SUV, I'll get one of the newer Escapes. My experience with this one is why my sister bought a 2006 Escape, my mom bought a 2012 Escape, and her friend bought at 2011. They're simply solid SUV's."

Very happy with this vehicle in the desert

By on Monday, January 05, 2015

Pros: "Great for driving to out of the way hikes or fwy."

Cons: "Not a Lexus"

"I don't drive off-road as a jeep would but do go on dirt roads and pull off on side of dirt roads. I absolutley love this Ford Escape all-wheel-drive. Easy to step into (I'm a senior), pretty red color, has not needed anything since I bought it when it was 5 years old, local Ford dealers are great to take it to. Also good on highway and reasonable gas mileage of 22 miles/gal. Never been happier with a vehicle and have owned a VW, Crown Victoria, Hondas, and small sedan Fords."

335,000 Miles and still running strong

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pros: "Just an all out great vehicle."

"I have had this vehicle for 10 years now and the only thing that went wrong was a fuel pump and a transmission, all in all a great vehicle, great gas milage and reliable."

First Escape

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "Good size, lotsa room inside, good ergonomics"

Cons: "Fuel economy, lotsa noise inside, engine drone"

"Only have had this car a month but have been happy with it. almost 11 years old and it's very solid. no squeaks or rattles anywhere and everything seems to be holding up well. Not sure if that's a testimony to Ford quality or the previous owner taking care of it. Either way I'm impressed"

great size but terrible gas mileage

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "great size, decent value"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"Overall, the escape was a good vehicle. It was a perfect size for one person with a dog and occasional passengers. Roomy seating, sufficient hauling area. Horrible gas mileage, however, like 14 mpg! I was very satisfied with the value I got from it and loved having no payments for a few years. I no longer have this vehicle becasue it randomly caught on fire last week. I went to turn around in a parking lot and heard a "pop" and it immediately starting smoking and burning under the hood. Needless to say, I am now car shopping."

great family car for 13 years

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

"My dad bought the escape 2nd hand in practically new condition, in 2002 or 2003. Passed it down to me in 2007 when my mom got a new kia sportage. It's held together just as well as the 6 year newer kia. It's ran perfect, except for the time my sister in law ran it out of oil & blew the engine :( replaced the engine with a 60,000 mile used engine, & it's ran great since the swap. The v6 engine is a stud. My only complaint with this car has been that the stereo doesn't sound good, even after adding subs and an aftermarket cd player - not sure if it's the acoustics or cheap factory speakers, but it just won't drown out the road noise, which can be pretty significant. Been a great car though."

Absolutely Loved This Car - 2004 Ford Escape

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Low Maintenance, Easy to drive, Relable"

Cons: "Texas Heat, some upholstery came loose"

"Let me say that in the past 10 years I have had friends that have had 2 to 3 different cars because of problems they have had. None of them owned a Ford Escape. I cannot not stress enough how liable this car has been for me. The main reason I have kept for sooo long! You know when you have a good thing why change it. It has been low maintenance, great running car. The pick up this car has can leave a lot of other make cars in the dust. I enjoy the size, not too big and not too small. I will have to say I am not that impressed with the newer styles that the Escape has changed to. I still see several of us older models on the road still running strong. Love, Love this car!"

A very good 4 wheel SUV

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive and very reliable"

Cons: "Not happy with Ford dealership prices for repairs!"

"Purchased it new and have enjoyed it for 10 years and 134,000 miles"

I wish I didn't have so many problems!

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, fun to drive, nice design"

Cons: "A lot of mechanical problems after 100k miles"

"I absolutely love the design, size, versatility and drive of this car. However, since I bought it used 2 years ago I have put almost half of what I paid into repairing it only to have it continuously break down to this day. I bought it used with 2 previous owners with 180k miles on it. After 6 months of having it I had to replace the alternator, radiator, and all three catalytic converters. Since then the catalytic converters have clogged twice. Several mechanics have said that this is a common problem with the Escapes. This may have just been one weird experience with this model but I have not found it very reliable at all."

Winter car

By on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pros: "Versatility and fairly economical. Nice design."

Cons: "A bit tight for big drivers"

"bought my 2007 escape 4wd to get me through the winter. Had moved back to pa from fl. As it has turned out the car is so versatile and "handy" that I drive it most of the time. This was last year for the front end design, which I prefer to the truck like appearance of the newer escapes."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Upholstery stains easily."

"Outside of routine maintenance (brake pads, tires, wheel bearings, fluid changes) I never had a problem with this vehicle in 250k miles. It always starts, avg 23-25 mpg, handles IA winters well, super dependable! Biggest complaint is upholstery stains easily and is difficult to clean. The back seat is not the most comfortable for 3 people. Awesome vehicle for just my husband & I."