• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2003 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1180 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Love even more today than when I bought it

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "great in the snow, no issues with it at all"

Cons: "No issues, I love it."

"Each day I drive this car, I realize how much value I got when I bought it. My escape gets around great year round, but especially in the snow, and starts no matter what. I keep this car outdoors since I don't have a garage, and even in cold weather it pops right off. The only thing I have done so far is change the oil religiously, brakes, tires, and filters. In addition, the rear window hinge had to be replaced, but I did it myself without any issues at all ($100 fix). I average about 21-25 mpg with mixed driving - highway/city. Everything still feels tight to me. I only wish I had bought two of these when I got this one. As long as you take good care of it, you will not be disappointed if you get one."

My Favorite Ford

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and Dependable"

Cons: "Body Integrity - developed a rust situation early."

"Purchased my 2004 Ford Escape in 2007 with 49000 miles on it. The car is an excellent vehicle with a reliable and dependable history. The only problems I ever encountered with this vehicle was two ignition coils failed when I was on vacation in 2013. I believe it was only the number 5 coil that failed and the dealership replaced the wrong one first, then realized it was the number 5 coil, not the three. All be it, this vehicle served me well. The body was excellent with the exception of the drivers side rear door and lower quarter. Rust began when the vehicle was approximately 3 or 4 years old. The rest of the body was excellent. Overall, this vehicle will always be one of my favorite Fords."

Great vehicle, have had it for 12 years.

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Hwy mpg-25-26, lots of room w/ seats down in back"

Cons: "can be noisy on highway"

"The main trouble I had in this car was having to replace the air bag sensor for both passenger and driver side, that was expensive and annoying but seems to be a fairly common issue with this car - not sure if the newer models fixed this problem. Overall I am very pleased, I have camped in the back of it (I'm 5'8), had it for over 12 years and will probably get the new escape for my next car."

the best

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

I don't own this car
Reason: gift

Pros: "beautiful inside and out"

"This was my first SUV and I will never forget it...the nine years I had it showed me why I love Ford...I now have a 2014 Escape and I love, love, love it."

owned for 8 years. Never let me down.

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "small, park anywhere. Great ride, mileage"

Cons: "no tow pkg, small gas tank"

"I bought this car from dealer in 2006. It had 11,000 miles and was traded because the man wanted something bigger. From the time I took passion, It has been used as a truck, a moving van, something to pull trailers with, and a great traveling automobile. It gets good gas mileage(26-33) depending on how you drive. The interior is spacious and can fit 5 adults and has room in cargo hold for 4 children or 2 adults. I have always loved this car because it is so versatile and great looking too."

low mileage due to my job ,merchant seamen, at sea

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage , and handles supurb"

Cons: "only that im' selling it."

"Garage kept-used only to travel to and back from port of call. Also has key pad entry. No longer needed due to retired. Has only been driven once a month in town to keep it up. New battarie installed last month. Hate to sell it, but have no need of two low milage suv,s GREAT DEAL"

Love this Car, Now I want a new one.

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Power, ride and looks"

"This car has been a wonderful experience. I have had it for the last 10 years and now I want a new one. Not sure of the eco-boost, but at the end of the year I'm going to try it. I hope it will be as reliable as this one has been."

My Escapes exterior and motor fell apart in a year

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Ideal interior set up and style for me."

"This vehicle has cost me thousands of dollars in motor repair and body repair on top of the recalls in less than a year. I did buy it used at 129,000 miles now at 155,000 however with in less than 24 hours of owning the vehicle i had it towed back to the dealership i bought it from because it could not accelerate anymore. An engine coil failed and cost over $300.00 for the repair come to find out this specific year/make/model is reputable for coils failing continuously for the life of the vehicle and will cost up to hundreds of dollars every time for repair labor and parts. I paid $8,000.00 total for this vehicle. Looks like I'll never Escape the Escape."

Big Mistake

By on Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pros: "I like the shape, great pickup w/6HP"

Cons: "electrical, mechanical, body"

"I knew better than to purchase a new-year-new-model, off the lot American made vehicle. Comparing the Escape to the CRV and RAV (and others) I got greedy and made my final decision based upon "more bang for the buck" vs. dependability and reliability reports. The Escape with it's V6 engine, larger cargo/interior space, tinted windows, sunroof, spare in trunk(not on back, important in a town like Boston) and a superlative stereo system, compared to the CRV and RAV, even with out of pocket options/extras it was a better "deal" than the other 2 whose dealers refused to match the price. I chose options over common sense. Even so, I was hesitant, having owned other American cars in the past, knowing that the Escape had no history, repair records and had yet to be driven by consumers there were no complaint records. Those initial reports began surfacing in 2003. I made a mistake and should have unloaded the car while it still had value over $12. In addition to the 7+ recalls the cost to own the car has been astronimical, at least 50% over what the MFSRP would have been had the dealer factored in electrical, mechanical and body failures not including the relentless, unending nickle&and dime costs to keep the car running. For example the ABS, AirBag, SeatBelt, Battery, automatic gearshift, SunRoof , driver side window failures have been relentless. Some repairs were covered by recalls but not all and certainly not the associted, out of pocket costs for repairs *after* the recall work was performed. Factoring in downtime & lost wages (self-employed business owner), wear and tear+ oil and gas to get car into shop repeatedly add up. Factor in small costs like $100 yr. AAA if only for "free" towning, well you get it. But it's the cost of personal downtime including total loss of peace of mind which has turned me away from ever owning another American manufactured car. It became so bad that I would pat the car kindly when it started, I'd cheer it on if it ran with no issues for 12-48 hours and I'd thank it at night when I was able to drive past the repair shop. I tried not to yell at it for being unreliable at the worst possible time for fear of jinxing it further. The only part of the car which has held up is the engine, certainly not insignificant, but with only 61.3K miles over 14 years the engine should run but is completely irrelevant when it came to Trade-In - including at the Ford Dealership where it was purchased and where all the repair records live. They know what's wrong with the car, not what's right with it, and that will affect its value, so using the Dealer for repairs has actually backfired, despite that I have maintained this car perfectly and exactly to manual's recommended standards or more. The relentless and unending nickle and dime repairs such as repeated driver side window failure, to the $300 cost to disable the sunroof which would have cost $1400 to replace because it was not reparable because for no reason it slid off the trac. 90% of said failures have taken place about 15 minutes outside the [useless] 3 year/36,000 mi. Warranty. Have I mentioned body failures, interior and exterior with rust becoming a major problem. In the end I've paid more than 50% over the MFSRP, fully-loaded, had they factored in repairs. Which explains whey the dealer was pushing (down my throat) an Extended Warranty, a philsopyy for which I take issue: Dealer is telling me that the car, the final cost being around $25000 ,will not perform after 3 years, hence to save me in major repairs I should add another $2000-3000 to the cost, upfront, only minutes after negotiating the cost to own. I read the fine print of EW and declined, not only in principal but in practicality: only certain failures were covered and I decided to save on the upfront additional $3000 and planned to use the savings towards the projected list of anticipated repairs. Of the 6 cars I've owned since 1972, the Escape is the proverbial straw on camels back and it is the last time I will ever own a car. Leasing, or perhaps renting a Zip, are my only options. At least with a leased vehicle I can anticipate being tortured only in 2 year increments, which is approximately the same amount of time that non-foreign cars are "Built to Last"."

My best friend

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Cargo space, ability to sit higher, towing ability"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"EMT response vehicle initially in a bright yellow to be seen. Long Distance Traveling on a regular basis. Short commutes to work. Hauled U-Haul Trailer multiple times for college move ins. Packed camping supplies for the weekend and still had enough room. Baseball Team events with boys and gear. Moved house and home using this car. Cargo space enough to put in mattresses or large screen TV. The only downfall is gas mileage and how the gear shift blocks access to stereo system. I'll be losing a friend when I sell this. Was in a rear end (my rear end )collision. Their car was an accordion my bumper and tow package was titlted with no air bag deployment. Sturdy vehicle. Love my sliding sun/moon roof!"

constant mechanical problems

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cons: "poor craftsmanship"

"every time it rains the gas pedal sticks. lots of sqeeks and noises don't trust it"

its the escape pod

By on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pros: "visability versatility they will last"

Cons: "small. engine is sideways difficult to service"

"Engine and transmission seem solid. Front end will wear out if you are rough on it."

Not too shabby for my first SUV

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, lots of storage space"

Cons: "Squeaks and rattles"

"I've had this for just over a year now and overall it's been pretty good. The only reason I don't give it a whopping two thumbs up is due to money I've spent on repairs that were actually very simple but not detected by two repair shops. Let me explain: Shortly after purchase it had troubles starting. I thought it was just cold weather (Idaho cold season can be brutal) and that maybe the battery had issues. After it finally stopped starting in the morning I jumped it and it worked the rest of the day, till the next morning, then I'd repeat the jumping. Did this a few times before I had to replace the battery. Worked fine for a while until it again died on me. Took it to a local auto repair shop who claimed the alternator needed replacing. I bought a recycled alternator and replaced it myself (which is actually extremely difficult on this vehicle, it's located under the engine but above the suspension) to save money. We did discover the wiring connector to the alternator was extremely worn and frayed, so we replaced that too. I tested the supposedly bad alternator at Auto Zone and it tested good, so I thought I'd just keep it and sell it. Well, day after our repair the Escape once again died. Had it towed to a Ford Service Center who told me the alternator and battery both needed replacing. I had them put the old alternator back in without replacing the battery and since then it's worked fine. So long story short, I spent $700+ for a repair that would've cost a fraction of that had they not just assumed it was the alternator. Lastly, there's been a continuous loud rattle in the front of the vehicle. One repair shop told me it was the sway bar links. I replaced both in front, and the rattle remains and it drives me INSANE!! The SUV sounds like a rickety old beat up car because of it and I'm not about to pour more money into this right now."

Very good vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, great in snow lots of room for stuff"

Cons: "interior materials are low budget"

"Have had this vehicle for close to 8 years and am overall satisfied with it. Reliability has been good, 3 hybrid component repairs in 8 years totaling around $1900. Otherwise very reliable. First set of brakes lasted 98,000 miles and second set passed inspection at 152,000 miles.Used mostly for commuting but also a few road trips/ college trips per year. Gas mileage has been 28.02 MPG cumulative average for the first 7 years though it appears to be dropping a little recently. Was getting over 29 MPG with original tires but they were loud and didn't handle very well. Very good mileage for an all wheel drive vehicle. This car easily goes through a foot or more of wet snow up the steep hills in southeastern PA near my home. I've never gotten stuck even in the three 20 inch snowfalls we had a few years ago. It still runs like new, no rattles and engine doesn't burn a drop of oil. I'm hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it which will be about 2 more years. Doesn't handle like a Mazda or have an interior as nice as a Hyundai but is good enough in all the other categories important to me."

Ford Hit A Homerun with Escape ***** 5 Star Enjoy

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "The XLT model with 3.0 L, sunroof, 4 WD, roof rack"

Cons: "MPG only 15ish city and 24 Hwy"

"The looks, feel and driving of my Ford Escape has been fantastic and care free. Just passed 160k miles and only look back on normal maintenance requirements for the past 9 years. The 3.0 L continues to provide that bit of extra power to pull boat, trailer and minor 4 wheel drive required. Firestone has put 2 sets of tires on over the years and surprised on life of tread wear. This is my 3rd Ford with the 3.0 L and it has been the best. The XLT model with 3.0 L, sunroof, 4 WD, roof racks, running boards and leather has been a GREAT package."

Solid, reliable truck.

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

"This was my wife's truck. Normal wear and tear, but otherwise a very solid, dependable truck. It had no problem towing two snowmobiles w/ trailer."

So much value

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

"One person incorrectly said back seats are not flush when they go down. You pull up seat bottom and the backs lie flat. My only complaint is the A/C cannot put out enough cooling through the battery alone, but in the scheme of things choosing to use more gas to keep cool when it's really hot outside is minimal. The battery is still going strong."

Reliable

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "No major repairs over last 7 years of ownership!"

Cons: "Gas mileage not great, shifter in front of radio"

"Great price, reliable, very few maintenance issues throughout the years, never left me stranded, recommend!"

bk.seats dont go flush,wiperturn swtch complicated

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Compact versatle, handles well"

Cons: "turn swtchwiper/washer frnt&rear complicated"

"Nice combo (car/truck/SUV). Back seats don't fold all the way down. The turn/ front and rear wiper/washer switch is complicated. Compact for versatility, low gas mileage in town, fair on road. No major complaints other than those mentioned above, otherwise, a nice affordable vehicle.I would recommend if person was looking for this style vehicle."

Just the right size for me.

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "fair price, fun to drive, easy to park"

"Have really enjoyed this car. It's very reliable."

I love this vehicle

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort, dependable"

Cons: "no remote start"

"I bought this vehicle brand new in 2004. Though I love it so much, I have really beat it to death and it is time to retire it. It is burning through approximately one quart of oil every week and a half. I am hoping to get another vehicle that I enjoyed as much. The gas mileage was awesome for this type of vehicle. The automatic switch to four wheel drive allowed me to continue to observe the changing weather conditions and I didn't have to switch it manually into 4x4. The vehicle was built on a car frame, which makes the maneuvering much easier. The vehicle is very comfortable. I really don't require much with my taste, so I bought one that had limited extras and that worked well for me. I did have some recent problems with brake lines dry rotting and connections rusting, but otherwise no major complaints. The remote has recently started not opening the drivers side door at times."

I this is a very good it is very on gas mileage,

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "fits very well in parking spaces"

Cons: "running boards need replaced"

"this car would fit on many roads both in the US and other countries. I would look for this same type of car in another country"

Reliable & Great Gas Mileage

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG, Good Visibility, Good GPS System"

Cons: "Weak AC."

"We've owned this car since purchasing it new in 2006. It still gets great gas mileage, around 30MPG average with a city/highway mix. It's been very reliable, still using the original brakes (that regenerative braking and drive line electrical generation takes it easy on the brakes). All I've had to repair/replace: The Front driver's side axle; who knows why; it gave lots of warning and was around $500. The windshield, but that's from rock damage, can't really fault Ford there; however, the passenger window exploded on me; I though someone shot something, but the UHP told me sometimes that just happens. In 2014, I put a hitch on it to tow a jet ski, and you'd never know it was there, pulls fine (under 1000 lbs) and I can't even see an affect on the gas mileage. One downfall, the AC has always worked, but it's always been weak, even compared to other Fords (I've owned many), and yes, I am still accounting for when the AC kicks off when the engine shuts down in electric only mode. She is nice and quiet in electric mode. Really, this has been a better car than I thought it would be; my wife wanted the SUV, I wanted something sportier, but she's a real keeper now, hope to get 200K out of her. Did replace the plugs at 80K."

2001 RED FORD ESCAPE. COLD AIR AND HOT HEATER

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Great price $2,200 and just turned to 100,000 mile"

Cons: "Catalytic converter may need attention."

"COLD AIR CONDITIONING IN THE SUMMER AND HOT HEAT IN THE WINTER. GOOD EXTERIOR WITH NO NICKS AND PINGS.THIS CAR STAYS IN THE GARAGE WHEN NOT IN USE. INTERIOR IS GOOD ALSO. CATALYTIC CONVERTER NEEDS ATTENTION. NEW BRAKE PADS.POWER LOCKS AND WINDOWS. BACK WINDOW WINDSHIELD WIPER. ONLY 1 OWNER."

Great car!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Great buy! Handles well. Dependable."

Cons: "Nylon seat covers stain--no big deal."

"I bought the car used 5 years ago and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has been very dependable with no major work done on it--just routine maintenance. I get about 24 mpg. The car is comfortable and has plenty of room for luggage, etc. I paid less than $8000 and so it has been a great car at a great price."