2003 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1220 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Reliable so far, not much to complain about

By on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pros: "Gas mlg, easy to park,decent quality, vry reliable"

Cons: "Interior roof handles too low, sticky rear hatch"

"Bought this 2003 with 110K and now I have about 150K. Driven it for about 2 years. Had to replace water pump. Very minor rust repair, other than that, very reliable, decent gas mileage. Have the limited version. COuld be I just got lucky with the 40K I've put on it but it's probably one of the most problem-free cars I've ever owned, and I've owned almost 100 cars, although usually not for this long. It's a very short vehicle so it's easy to park, etc. and yet seems to have a good amount of room and I'm 6'5. Did have some problem with the rear latch sticking but after and cleaning and oiling the mechanism that went away. Local mechanics can fix just about everything so repair cost and maintenace are reasonable, if there is such a thing."

305,000 miles & still running

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"Bought new in 01 and now have 305,000 miles. Did have to rebuild the transmission at 245,000, but still has original water pump, alternator, starter, etc. Gas mileage was 24-25 mph on the road for first 4 years. Now getting around 22. Lots of room to haul with the seats down. I have carried 4X8 sheets of plywood many times by angling them in the back and leaving the hatch open. I love it!!!"

impressive vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "good fuel ecomony with 4WD"

Cons: "some little nuisances"

"I bought this from my dad a year and a half ago with 199,000 miles and i've been very pleased with it. Very little maintenance, considering most of its life has been on gravel. With the exception of a $20 rear brake line, i've just had to do routine maintenance. Gets good gas mileage for a V6 and 4WD. I average 15-16 city 21-22 highway but have gotten as good as 27 MPG by driving 55 MPH. Very good on snow although the only winter ive driven it in was this last very mild and warm winter. My only complaints would be some of the small electronic motors (rear wiper, passenger window) are starting to slow down, when its cold out when starting I have to slightly rev the engine for a little bit to keep it running, and occasionally when driving, the 4WD will attempt to kick on when its not needed but with this many miles i'm not surprised. Would definitely recommend"

Very nice small SUV

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

"I have enjoyed my Ford Escape. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned with few mechanical problems, mostly normal wear and tear. For an SUV it gets very good gas mileage, even still being over 10 years old. I will most likely buy another other one once this one has seen its better days. I recommend this vehicle if you are looking for a small, yet versitile SUV."

Excellent runner, love the space and features

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, low maint, tenacious in snow and ice"

Cons: "ignition switch in awkward position"

"We have 260,000 plus miles. Other than things you would expect to wear out at 100,000-plus miles, it has been very low maintenance. It has never gotten stuck in our WI winters. It has survived seven accidents with wayward deer. Very comfortable to ride long distances. Sound system is quite nice. Love it, Love it, Love it!!"

Great initially not so good after...

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"We bought ours new in 2001, V6 AWD. First the good: Handles very well for an SUV, brakes work well and steering feel is good. Ride may be a little stiff for some but I hardly notice it. All of the controls are easy to read and use (although the shifter partially blocks the radio when in drive). Behind the wheel it is a very nice vehicle to drive. Now the bad: Mileage isn't very good about 17.5 mpg over all. The front seat cushion is a little short so if you have long legs or just plain tall you probably won't find the seats very comfortable. It is a bit noisy inside (road/tire noise etc., the car it replaced was a basic economy car that was built with everything thin so this was actually and improvement for us.) And the brakes can be a bit noisy at times. So far have replaced the rear shocks, power steering lines, tie rod ends (can cause unusual wear in tires) and have a dash light that goes out intermittently (then comes back on). All repairs were under warranty. Now the really bad: The reliability of the engine has been absolutely terrible. At 92000 miles, the list of things replaced so far: 4 coil packs, egr valve, 3 egr sensors, belt tensioner (it fell into pieces one day after shutting of the engine), oil pump (pressure at idle was too low) and a cylinder head. Between the various warranties (bumper to bumper, emissions performance and extended) our out of pocket repair expenses have been low. A few things I have discovered: change transmission fluid at recommend intervals and do NOT mix fluid types! Newer fluids are frequently compatible with older fluids (eg Mercon V in place of Mercon III) but for whatever reason that does not apply to this trans. If you don't know what is in there take it to a competent shop and have the trans fluid flushed (not a drain and refill). You don't need any special additives, there are enough detergents in the fluid to clean everything (assuming a quality fluid is being used)."

Great Value

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

"The only problem I had was transmission trouble at 70,000 miles. A fellow rebuilt it for me for $1,400 and provided a 36/36 warranty. The original tires lasted 95,000 miles and it still has the original brakes. I averaged 27.5 MPG on the highway when using 100% gasoline."

just turn the key and go

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cons: "location of the ignition is awkward"

"I have owned this car since 2005 and have never had any major problems with it. I do the maintenance, the oil changes etc. It starts up it goes, its dependable - it handles well in snow and slush though the front wheel drive took some getting used to- previously I drove standard transmission fords. Am a ford person thru and thru. Love the compact size of this SUV and can still pack it full of stuff- back seat is a little tight but.... its only us and the dogs."

Love this vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, comfortable with decent MPG."

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 7 years, put over 200,000 miles on her and have not had major issues! Largest expense was a new alternator (approx. $450). Other than that it has been all routine maintance: oil changes, and tires. It even gets decent gas mileage, ranging on average for me at 22-24 MPG. I have moved several times in the past, and other than large pieces of furniture can fit just about everything in the vehicle, when folding the back seats, great size trunk in general too!"

Could not be more happy!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Reliability and utility."

Cons: "15 city mpg"

"We bought this car new and have been driving, towing, touring, commuting for the last 12 years with this dependable Ford. I use it now for my daily commuting to work and around town. The CD player gave out last year but everything else still works. We have dutifully performed oil changes and beside tires/breaks we have only had to replace the water pump but at 10 years I consider that regular maintenance. My only knock at this point is the gas mileage and the fact that it is starting to feel old, but with no car payments for the last 7+ years I truly could not be happier."