2003 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1190 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

great size but terrible gas mileage

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "great size, decent value"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"Overall, the escape was a good vehicle. It was a perfect size for one person with a dog and occasional passengers. Roomy seating, sufficient hauling area. Horrible gas mileage, however, like 14 mpg! I was very satisfied with the value I got from it and loved having no payments for a few years. I no longer have this vehicle becasue it randomly caught on fire last week. I went to turn around in a parking lot and heard a "pop" and it immediately starting smoking and burning under the hood. Needless to say, I am now car shopping."

great family car for 13 years

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

"My dad bought the escape 2nd hand in practically new condition, in 2002 or 2003. Passed it down to me in 2007 when my mom got a new kia sportage. It's held together just as well as the 6 year newer kia. It's ran perfect, except for the time my sister in law ran it out of oil & blew the engine :( replaced the engine with a 60,000 mile used engine, & it's ran great since the swap. The v6 engine is a stud. My only complaint with this car has been that the stereo doesn't sound good, even after adding subs and an aftermarket cd player - not sure if it's the acoustics or cheap factory speakers, but it just won't drown out the road noise, which can be pretty significant. Been a great car though."

Absolutely Loved This Car - 2004 Ford Escape

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Low Maintenance, Easy to drive, Relable"

Cons: "Texas Heat, some upholstery came loose"

"Let me say that in the past 10 years I have had friends that have had 2 to 3 different cars because of problems they have had. None of them owned a Ford Escape. I cannot not stress enough how liable this car has been for me. The main reason I have kept for sooo long! You know when you have a good thing why change it. It has been low maintenance, great running car. The pick up this car has can leave a lot of other make cars in the dust. I enjoy the size, not too big and not too small. I will have to say I am not that impressed with the newer styles that the Escape has changed to. I still see several of us older models on the road still running strong. Love, Love this car!"

A very good 4 wheel SUV

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive and very reliable"

Cons: "Not happy with Ford dealership prices for repairs!"

"Purchased it new and have enjoyed it for 10 years and 134,000 miles"

I wish I didn't have so many problems!

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, fun to drive, nice design"

Cons: "A lot of mechanical problems after 100k miles"

"I absolutely love the design, size, versatility and drive of this car. However, since I bought it used 2 years ago I have put almost half of what I paid into repairing it only to have it continuously break down to this day. I bought it used with 2 previous owners with 180k miles on it. After 6 months of having it I had to replace the alternator, radiator, and all three catalytic converters. Since then the catalytic converters have clogged twice. Several mechanics have said that this is a common problem with the Escapes. This may have just been one weird experience with this model but I have not found it very reliable at all."

Winter car

By on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pros: "Versatility and fairly economical. Nice design."

Cons: "A bit tight for big drivers"

"bought my 2007 escape 4wd to get me through the winter. Had moved back to pa from fl. As it has turned out the car is so versatile and "handy" that I drive it most of the time. This was last year for the front end design, which I prefer to the truck like appearance of the newer escapes."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Upholstery stains easily."

"Outside of routine maintenance (brake pads, tires, wheel bearings, fluid changes) I never had a problem with this vehicle in 250k miles. It always starts, avg 23-25 mpg, handles IA winters well, super dependable! Biggest complaint is upholstery stains easily and is difficult to clean. The back seat is not the most comfortable for 3 people. Awesome vehicle for just my husband & I."

Excellent Sporty Utility Vehicle Fords made!

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Best overall SUV ever! Fun, Sporty and FORD TOUGH"

Cons: "No Heated seats!"

"The new Escapes don't even compare to this 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. I work in construction and this vehicle has taken on rough terrian and the heaviest winters and nothing stops her. I enjoy having the utility rack ontop to secure my Kayaks and tow package for pulling my boat to the lakes. Yes, you can say this vehicle is FORD TOUGH! Now FORD get back to work and get a new sports utility design in the works because the new Ford Escape is falling flat. I believe my next sport utility will be the new Subaru Forester."

I love my Escape!

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "great vehicle!"

Cons: "no cons!"

"I've owned my Escape for 10 years. It is the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! In ten years, other than tires and batteries, I've put in a pollution control valve ($80), an idle control valve ($130) and I recently put in new struts and shocks ($490). That's it. How many long term owners can say that? I have no plans to trade in my baby anytime in the near future!"

Escape Review

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

"Auto performed good until about 90k, then all the problems started. Replaced all the front end components. Rust. The major problem is the alarm system. Started to malfunction at various intervals. No fix unless you go to dealer and spend big money for repair. No way to disarm the alarm, your only alternative is to leave the doors unlocked. Many bad reviews regarding the alarm. In all honesty, I would only own an Escape, or any Ford product if it was only given to me."