2003 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1199 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

most reliable car ever bought

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"Only replaced battery in 10 years. Great to drive. FWD models, however, has traction trouble in snow."

2007 Ford Escape

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"Transmission was replaced in 2011 so the mileage is actually lower."

Love my Escape

By on Saturday, January 17, 2015

Pros: "Styling & dependebility"

"Love the way it looks...very reliable. Mine has the V-6 about 21 mpg.Mine is fully loaded including leather .great visibility and teriffic in the snow"

Never had a problem with this car

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

"I purchased This car new and have no problem with it scene I had it."

my favorite vehicle ever

By on Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pros: "Love driving it, dependable, sun roof, space"

"My Escape is more than 11 years old. I still love driving it. I don't want a new vehicle. I feel safe and comfortable driving it. We get a lot of snow and it is easy to handle in snow. (Actually it is fun to drive in fresh snow)"

Very competent and versatile small SUV

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Great in snow, cargo capacity, towing, reliability"

Cons: "Fuel mileage, stiff seats"

"I bought the 2003 Escape XLS 4WD used in 2006, and still own it today in 2015. It's been the best SUV I've owned and driven, by far. The ride on it is smooth, handling pretty good for an SUV, and despite being more in the "crossover" category, I've found it more than capable for the off-road driving we've done with it. It's also incredibly good in the snow, even fairly deep snow over 6-12" like we've seen a few times in recent years. And I've rarely actually needed to flip it into 4WD, the FWD offers very good traction and performance. The exterior styling kept it looking like traditional SUV's instead of the more rounded and car-like uni-body crossovers that SUV's have transitioned to. Ours has a roof rack and running boards, plus the towing package. The roof rack has come in handy numerous times. And be it towing U-Haul trailers across several states or fully-loaded utility trailer with firewood, it tows loads very well. The interior cargo space is fantastic too, with the fold-flat rear seat. It's incredibly versatile, and the back seat easily fits adults with plenty of legroom. The seats aren't the most comfortable, they are a bit stiff. Compared to newer vehicles, the interior isn't as refined, but for the time it was. Mechanically, we haven't had any significant trouble with it. Mostly we've done maintenance upkeep on it, including a 150k minor overhaul of the engine to replace gaskets, belts, hoses, etc simply because of the age and mileage. I've had 2 ignition coils go bad, but they're easy enough to replace. The only repair that has been a little frustrating was replacing both front axle assemblies due to worn down internal parts. They have to be replaced as a whole unit, so that's an expense to take care of when the time rolls around. The only real negative is the fuel mileage. Ours has the 3.0 V6, and it's hard to top 20 MPG unless it's pure highway driving, in which case we've gotten as high as 23.5 mpg. Usually it's in the 18ish mpg range, pretty predictably. It's not as high as I would have hoped, but certainly better than other SUV's of the day. The check engine light has been on for a couple thousand miles due to the upstream and downstream O2 sensors giving the computer a fault code related to the catalytic converter. I've had this looked at and the exhaust shops have said to ignore it, since it's something related to the E10 gas that is now prevalent. Older vehicles are a little quirky with E10, while newer ones designed for it aren't quite that way. They said unless it starts running badly or we move to a place with emissions testing, that replacing one or all three is a wasted expense given the age of the car now. My experience with this Escape is part of why I later bought a Focus, and why when I need a new SUV, I'll get one of the newer Escapes. My experience with this one is why my sister bought a 2006 Escape, my mom bought a 2012 Escape, and her friend bought at 2011. They're simply solid SUV's."

Very happy with this vehicle in the desert

By on Monday, January 05, 2015

Pros: "Great for driving to out of the way hikes or fwy."

Cons: "Not a Lexus"

"I don't drive off-road as a jeep would but do go on dirt roads and pull off on side of dirt roads. I absolutley love this Ford Escape all-wheel-drive. Easy to step into (I'm a senior), pretty red color, has not needed anything since I bought it when it was 5 years old, local Ford dealers are great to take it to. Also good on highway and reasonable gas mileage of 22 miles/gal. Never been happier with a vehicle and have owned a VW, Crown Victoria, Hondas, and small sedan Fords."

335,000 Miles and still running strong

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pros: "Just an all out great vehicle."

"I have had this vehicle for 10 years now and the only thing that went wrong was a fuel pump and a transmission, all in all a great vehicle, great gas milage and reliable."

First Escape

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "Good size, lotsa room inside, good ergonomics"

Cons: "Fuel economy, lotsa noise inside, engine drone"

"Only have had this car a month but have been happy with it. almost 11 years old and it's very solid. no squeaks or rattles anywhere and everything seems to be holding up well. Not sure if that's a testimony to Ford quality or the previous owner taking care of it. Either way I'm impressed"

great size but terrible gas mileage

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "great size, decent value"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"Overall, the escape was a good vehicle. It was a perfect size for one person with a dog and occasional passengers. Roomy seating, sufficient hauling area. Horrible gas mileage, however, like 14 mpg! I was very satisfied with the value I got from it and loved having no payments for a few years. I no longer have this vehicle becasue it randomly caught on fire last week. I went to turn around in a parking lot and heard a "pop" and it immediately starting smoking and burning under the hood. Needless to say, I am now car shopping."