2003 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1231 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Very nice small SUV

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

"I have enjoyed my Ford Escape. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned with few mechanical problems, mostly normal wear and tear. For an SUV it gets very good gas mileage, even still being over 10 years old. I will most likely buy another other one once this one has seen its better days. I recommend this vehicle if you are looking for a small, yet versitile SUV."

just turn the key and go

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cons: "location of the ignition is awkward"

"I have owned this car since 2005 and have never had any major problems with it. I do the maintenance, the oil changes etc. It starts up it goes, its dependable - it handles well in snow and slush though the front wheel drive took some getting used to- previously I drove standard transmission fords. Am a ford person thru and thru. Love the compact size of this SUV and can still pack it full of stuff- back seat is a little tight but.... its only us and the dogs."

Great Value

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

"The only problem I had was transmission trouble at 70,000 miles. A fellow rebuilt it for me for $1,400 and provided a 36/36 warranty. The original tires lasted 95,000 miles and it still has the original brakes. I averaged 27.5 MPG on the highway when using 100% gasoline."

Love this vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, comfortable with decent MPG."

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 7 years, put over 200,000 miles on her and have not had major issues! Largest expense was a new alternator (approx. $450). Other than that it has been all routine maintance: oil changes, and tires. It even gets decent gas mileage, ranging on average for me at 22-24 MPG. I have moved several times in the past, and other than large pieces of furniture can fit just about everything in the vehicle, when folding the back seats, great size trunk in general too!"

I don't want to get rid of this vehicle!!

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very sturdy and but comfortable."

Cons: "You need to rotate the tires every 5000 miles"

"This was my first 4X4 SUV. It's got 150000 on the odometer and runs like the day I bought it. I have had no major issues with it and gets decent gas mileage as long as you don't do jack rabbit starts. It rides great (not soft but firm which I like) and you can haul lots of stuff with the 65 Cubic feet of cargo room. I have replaced a few items on it because they wore out(sun roof and cruise control switch). It has plenty of go power but still gets decent gas mileage (23 to 25 on the highway). It goes through snow like a tank and I have never been stuck in the snow. I love that you can lock it in 4 wheel drive if you need to. I can't think of any downsides to the vehicle. I travel alot and get to rent lots of vehicles and I haven't found one that I really am dying to buy, I like my Escape to much. It does what I need it to do. My dealership tells me that driving it to 200,000 won't be a problem. The only down side is that you have to rotate the tires every 5000 miles or they will wear unevenly but that is normal for an AWD SUV."

Satisfaction

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Reliable!!!!!"

Cons: "4x4 package a little slower 20 mpg not 22"

"8 years later this SUV has been awesome! In 8 years of good service just had to RECENTLY tune up along with PCV valve! 91000 miles of greatness!!!"

Excellent Sporty Utility Vehicle Fords made!

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Best overall SUV ever! Fun, Sporty and FORD TOUGH"

Cons: "No Heated seats!"

"The new Escapes don't even compare to this 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. I work in construction and this vehicle has taken on rough terrian and the heaviest winters and nothing stops her. I enjoy having the utility rack ontop to secure my Kayaks and tow package for pulling my boat to the lakes. Yes, you can say this vehicle is FORD TOUGH! Now FORD get back to work and get a new sports utility design in the works because the new Ford Escape is falling flat. I believe my next sport utility will be the new Subaru Forester."

Good Quality Vehicle

By on Saturday, February 20, 2010

"I bought my wife this vehicle for her Birthday / Christmas present in January 2007. She loves it and still hasn't decided to trade it in yet as of February 2010. For those of you whom don't know anything about the Ford Escape XLT Sport, it's a 3.0 Liter V6 on demand 4 wheel drive. It is a front wheel drive sport utility that automatically engages the rear tires with less than 7/10 of an inch of traction loss. The interior controls are typical and easy to read. Interior room is as to be expected in a midsized SUV. The cargo area can be expanded by folding the back seats down flat which is the norm for most SUV's now. She has only had one problem with this vehicle. The alternator failed at about 25 thousand miles, but it didn't leave her stranded and she was able to drive it directly to the dealership as soon as the battery light indicator came on. Ford replaced the part and gave her a loaner vehicle for the 2 days that she was without her Escape. This is the only reason I gave the reliability 4 stars instead of 5. We live in the Adirondacks and it can snow a great deal sometimes. This vehicle has proved itself to be fantastic in winter and has never been off the road due to weather. I have been very pleased that it has kept my family safe during less than favorable conditions. Would I recommend this vehicle to others? I absolutely would!"

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"When I got this car, at 15,000miles, it had been used as a rental in late 2005. I have had this car for 2 yrs since and put on 40,000 miles. It has performed excellently accept for a slight delay in acceleration when I try to floor the pedal (which I rarely do). I luv the fact that I can fold down the back seat and lie comfortably inside (I am 5'4"). By putting in a bin, I can also store my stuff and with the convenient rear glass door, I can reach them without having to open the rear cargo door. This car is by far the safest car I have been in. When I had my accident in this car, I barely felt anything. The front bumper crumbled to absorb most of the shock. Although I had to replace the whole bumper. The SUV being a little higher than standard cars allows me to see traffic much further ahead helping me avoid crashes. Unlike most SUV which are big and cumbersome, the Escape provided manuveurabilty of ordinary cars. Only draw back is that I should have gotten the Hybrid version, cause the SUV takes alot of gas. Overall its still a great car."

Blown away

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"For a while my wife had wanted an Escape and with the gas prices soaring this spring/summer she said she wanted a hybrid. After seeing the 2008's we both agreed we liked the exterior styling of the 2007 models much better. We were able to find an 07 with every available option and with only 6000 miles (the previous owner took an unexpected retirement and bought a large boat so he traded this vehicle in for a large F series to haul his boat). We've had the vehicle for a few weeks and these are our impressions beginning with the positives. The POWERTRAIN is exceptional. We get fuel economy as advertised. I found with a smooth gas pedal and low speed city driving I can approach 40 miles per gallon! The Constant Variable Transmission is exceptionally smooth as there are no gear shifts occuring. The constant switching of the powertrain from electric only to gas plus electric to gas only to recharging the batteries during coastdowns and braking is nearly seemless. An untrained person would never know this switching is occuring. Word from Ford development engineers is the powertrain is bulletproof and should never fail. The only component that will need servicing in the future will be the batteries and though I understand they are quite expensive, should be more than paid for by the money saved with fuel. The electronic message center is super cool. It has a navigation system which has worked very well. The sound system is all I could ask for in a vehicle of this type. The field of vision is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. There is also good back seat room and adequate storage room behind the back seats. Though I've read about some people thinking storage was inadequate, we feel it is good. The center console, glove box, and door pockets all offer front passenger storage options and there are two front seat drink holders in the console. If I were designing my perfect vehicle I would change just a few things. There is a slightly moderate amount of interior road noise which is really not too bad, however I would try to make it quieter. Also the vehicle tends to wander slightly, especially on highways though this may be a funtion of a short wheelbase vehicle and low rolling resistance tires combined with 4 wheel drive. Finally the interior though premium seems like it could have been made a little more plush. The leather seating material is a little stiff as opposed to soft leather I find in luxary vehicles. We would highly recommend the hybrid Escape to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class."