2002 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1249 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

LOVED this car!

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reason: needed more space

Pros: "Fun to drive all year round! Great gas mileage!"

Cons: "rethink if you have small kids."

"I bought my 2003 Ford Escape XLS in January of 2005 with 70000 miles on it. It was a program car, hence the higher mileage. It was awesome. Extremely reliable. Great clearance height for awesome winter driving without 4WD. I was impressed with this SUV for having a comfortable ride, good gas mileage for an SUV, roomy and lots of space for hauling things with the back seat folded down. The A/C was as cold as cold could be and it always started in the winter months without issue. I hit a deer once with it going about 55 MPH and barely felt the impact. I felt very safe in this SUV. The damage was minimal so I had it repaired. The only reason I sold it was because we had a child and there wasn't enough room when we went on long trips with a pack and play, stroller, luggage, and all the other things kids come with. The only money I ever put into it was replacing coils which isn't expensive if you know how to do it yourself (my brother did it for me). Tires can be a little pricey too (a set of 4 ran me about $600 with install and everything). I will totally buy another one after our kids are bigger and don't need strollers and pack and plays."

Great high school and college car

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Got this car when I was a sophomore in high school with 34,000 miles. I am about to complete my 4th year in college and have had no major issues with it at 95,000 miles. It's a little loud on country interstate at above 70. At only 4 cylinders, accelerating up hills on the interstate above 75mph can be painful. However I have gotten it up to well over 100. It's been averaging around 20miles to a gallon with my lead foot."

Great truck

By on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"I bought my 4cyl. 5spd. Escape with 100,000 miles and have added another 150,000 with no problems. Still uses no oil and gets 26MPG. I'll I've done is brakes, tires (1 set), belt, and alternator. Very versatile vehicle that I will hate to replace. Will probably get another one if I can find one like it"

Poor Vehicle

By on Thursday, September 18, 2008

"My 2005 Ford Escape has 43,000 miles on it and I had to have a new transmission when it was under 36,000 miles. Now the car has motor issues and no one can seem to find the problem. The car has full power and the oil pressure is fine but is extremely loud. The last mechanic told me to cut my losses and get rid of it. I really liked the car I just wish it didn't have so many mechanical problems."

Good small SUV

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"had this Escape for 3 years and have great use from it. I drive the heck out of this car and have had NO breakdowns are repairs needed. Besides the regular maint. I have not had to fix anything. Great first SUV!!! Ride is a little bumpy and a little noisy but not a real issue."