2002 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1248 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Very nice small SUV

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

"I have enjoyed my Ford Escape. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned with few mechanical problems, mostly normal wear and tear. For an SUV it gets very good gas mileage, even still being over 10 years old. I will most likely buy another other one once this one has seen its better days. I recommend this vehicle if you are looking for a small, yet versitile SUV."

Love this vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, comfortable with decent MPG."

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 7 years, put over 200,000 miles on her and have not had major issues! Largest expense was a new alternator (approx. $450). Other than that it has been all routine maintance: oil changes, and tires. It even gets decent gas mileage, ranging on average for me at 22-24 MPG. I have moved several times in the past, and other than large pieces of furniture can fit just about everything in the vehicle, when folding the back seats, great size trunk in general too!"

Blown away

By on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"For a while my wife had wanted an Escape and with the gas prices soaring this spring/summer she said she wanted a hybrid. After seeing the 2008's we both agreed we liked the exterior styling of the 2007 models much better. We were able to find an 07 with every available option and with only 6000 miles (the previous owner took an unexpected retirement and bought a large boat so he traded this vehicle in for a large F series to haul his boat). We've had the vehicle for a few weeks and these are our impressions beginning with the positives. The POWERTRAIN is exceptional. We get fuel economy as advertised. I found with a smooth gas pedal and low speed city driving I can approach 40 miles per gallon! The Constant Variable Transmission is exceptionally smooth as there are no gear shifts occuring. The constant switching of the powertrain from electric only to gas plus electric to gas only to recharging the batteries during coastdowns and braking is nearly seemless. An untrained person would never know this switching is occuring. Word from Ford development engineers is the powertrain is bulletproof and should never fail. The only component that will need servicing in the future will be the batteries and though I understand they are quite expensive, should be more than paid for by the money saved with fuel. The electronic message center is super cool. It has a navigation system which has worked very well. The sound system is all I could ask for in a vehicle of this type. The field of vision is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. There is also good back seat room and adequate storage room behind the back seats. Though I've read about some people thinking storage was inadequate, we feel it is good. The center console, glove box, and door pockets all offer front passenger storage options and there are two front seat drink holders in the console. If I were designing my perfect vehicle I would change just a few things. There is a slightly moderate amount of interior road noise which is really not too bad, however I would try to make it quieter. Also the vehicle tends to wander slightly, especially on highways though this may be a funtion of a short wheelbase vehicle and low rolling resistance tires combined with 4 wheel drive. Finally the interior though premium seems like it could have been made a little more plush. The leather seating material is a little stiff as opposed to soft leather I find in luxary vehicles. We would highly recommend the hybrid Escape to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class."

Great reliable car

By on Saturday, May 28, 2016

Pros: "affordable, reliable, easy to drive."

Cons: "front end problems"

"I bought this car used and have loved it ever since. It is not a luxury model but it is easy to drive, reliable, affordable all the way around. Its great in the snow and not bad on gas. One thing I have had issues with now that it is older is the front end wheels. I always seem to be replacing tire rod ends, wheel barings, etc."

Best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable,"

"One of the must reliable vehicles I've owned. The V6 has good power, tows trailers well, if you floor it will push you back in seat and break the tires loose. Lots of cargo room, with or with out the back seats folded down."