2002 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1226 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Wonderful vehicle, only one issue thus far!

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "Everything...'cept..."

Cons: "exhaust issues."

"The XLS has been an awesome vehicle...the only issue was pertaining to the exhaust- the third (standard) catalytic converter had gotten stopped up and needed to be removed. Other than this issue it has been great, gas mileage is very appealing and is great as it is a four cylinder. The interior is very comfortable and stylish without being unpractical. Just be sure to treat your bumpers to prevent discoloration. The spare should be full-sized as well, but that is an easy fix. I absolutely love my car, it has been a joy so far and I am in love with it. <3"

Good Quality Vehicle

By on Saturday, February 20, 2010

"I bought my wife this vehicle for her Birthday / Christmas present in January 2007. She loves it and still hasn't decided to trade it in yet as of February 2010. For those of you whom don't know anything about the Ford Escape XLT Sport, it's a 3.0 Liter V6 on demand 4 wheel drive. It is a front wheel drive sport utility that automatically engages the rear tires with less than 7/10 of an inch of traction loss. The interior controls are typical and easy to read. Interior room is as to be expected in a midsized SUV. The cargo area can be expanded by folding the back seats down flat which is the norm for most SUV's now. She has only had one problem with this vehicle. The alternator failed at about 25 thousand miles, but it didn't leave her stranded and she was able to drive it directly to the dealership as soon as the battery light indicator came on. Ford replaced the part and gave her a loaner vehicle for the 2 days that she was without her Escape. This is the only reason I gave the reliability 4 stars instead of 5. We live in the Adirondacks and it can snow a great deal sometimes. This vehicle has proved itself to be fantastic in winter and has never been off the road due to weather. I have been very pleased that it has kept my family safe during less than favorable conditions. Would I recommend this vehicle to others? I absolutely would!"

Love my car... but

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"I love my ford escape but at 70,000 it's starting to have problems (muffler fell off, emergency brake had to be replaced, spring came out of motor valve, moon roof motor has been replaced twice). I love my car, how it feels, how it looks, how it drives, but I question the quality, to be having these kinds of problems at 70,000."

my second Escape

By on Monday, December 17, 2007

"With over 100,000 miles on my second Escape, I now have over 250,000 miles on two Escapes. My first was an '01. I like the floor shift on the '06 over the too long column shift on the '01. I miss the traction of 4WD on my '01, except I prefer the additional fuel mileage of my FWD '06. I wish the FWD had traction control. Ground clearance is good for snow, but I wouldn't take an Escape off road. Amazing cornering for a vehicle so tall, and terrific power. Nimble and forgiving, easy to drive. Short wheelbase busy ride annoys my wife. Exciting performance shows that it is a Mazda co-design. I used to own a Mazda. I used to own a '92 Toyota Corolla Wagon, but this Escape is taller, roomier, twice as heavy, twice as powerful, has proven more reliable, and gets about the same fuel mileage. Quiter ride and better grip with Michelin tires. Quieter engine and awesome throttle response with full synthetic motor oil."

Blown away

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"For a while my wife had wanted an Escape and with the gas prices soaring this spring/summer she said she wanted a hybrid. After seeing the 2008's we both agreed we liked the exterior styling of the 2007 models much better. We were able to find an 07 with every available option and with only 6000 miles (the previous owner took an unexpected retirement and bought a large boat so he traded this vehicle in for a large F series to haul his boat). We've had the vehicle for a few weeks and these are our impressions beginning with the positives. The POWERTRAIN is exceptional. We get fuel economy as advertised. I found with a smooth gas pedal and low speed city driving I can approach 40 miles per gallon! The Constant Variable Transmission is exceptionally smooth as there are no gear shifts occuring. The constant switching of the powertrain from electric only to gas plus electric to gas only to recharging the batteries during coastdowns and braking is nearly seemless. An untrained person would never know this switching is occuring. Word from Ford development engineers is the powertrain is bulletproof and should never fail. The only component that will need servicing in the future will be the batteries and though I understand they are quite expensive, should be more than paid for by the money saved with fuel. The electronic message center is super cool. It has a navigation system which has worked very well. The sound system is all I could ask for in a vehicle of this type. The field of vision is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. There is also good back seat room and adequate storage room behind the back seats. Though I've read about some people thinking storage was inadequate, we feel it is good. The center console, glove box, and door pockets all offer front passenger storage options and there are two front seat drink holders in the console. If I were designing my perfect vehicle I would change just a few things. There is a slightly moderate amount of interior road noise which is really not too bad, however I would try to make it quieter. Also the vehicle tends to wander slightly, especially on highways though this may be a funtion of a short wheelbase vehicle and low rolling resistance tires combined with 4 wheel drive. Finally the interior though premium seems like it could have been made a little more plush. The leather seating material is a little stiff as opposed to soft leather I find in luxary vehicles. We would highly recommend the hybrid Escape to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class."