2002 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1199 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

most reliable car ever bought

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"Only replaced battery in 10 years. Great to drive. FWD models, however, has traction trouble in snow."

2007 Ford Escape

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"Transmission was replaced in 2011 so the mileage is actually lower."

Love my Escape

By on Saturday, January 17, 2015

Pros: "Styling & dependebility"

"Love the way it looks...very reliable. Mine has the V-6 about 21 mpg.Mine is fully loaded including leather .great visibility and teriffic in the snow"

Never had a problem with this car

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2015

"I purchased This car new and have no problem with it scene I had it."

my favorite vehicle ever

By on Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pros: "Love driving it, dependable, sun roof, space"

"My Escape is more than 11 years old. I still love driving it. I don't want a new vehicle. I feel safe and comfortable driving it. We get a lot of snow and it is easy to handle in snow. (Actually it is fun to drive in fresh snow)"

Very competent and versatile small SUV

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Great in snow, cargo capacity, towing, reliability"

Cons: "Fuel mileage, stiff seats"

"I bought the 2003 Escape XLS 4WD used in 2006, and still own it today in 2015. It's been the best SUV I've owned and driven, by far. The ride on it is smooth, handling pretty good for an SUV, and despite being more in the "crossover" category, I've found it more than capable for the off-road driving we've done with it. It's also incredibly good in the snow, even fairly deep snow over 6-12" like we've seen a few times in recent years. And I've rarely actually needed to flip it into 4WD, the FWD offers very good traction and performance. The exterior styling kept it looking like traditional SUV's instead of the more rounded and car-like uni-body crossovers that SUV's have transitioned to. Ours has a roof rack and running boards, plus the towing package. The roof rack has come in handy numerous times. And be it towing U-Haul trailers across several states or fully-loaded utility trailer with firewood, it tows loads very well. The interior cargo space is fantastic too, with the fold-flat rear seat. It's incredibly versatile, and the back seat easily fits adults with plenty of legroom. The seats aren't the most comfortable, they are a bit stiff. Compared to newer vehicles, the interior isn't as refined, but for the time it was. Mechanically, we haven't had any significant trouble with it. Mostly we've done maintenance upkeep on it, including a 150k minor overhaul of the engine to replace gaskets, belts, hoses, etc simply because of the age and mileage. I've had 2 ignition coils go bad, but they're easy enough to replace. The only repair that has been a little frustrating was replacing both front axle assemblies due to worn down internal parts. They have to be replaced as a whole unit, so that's an expense to take care of when the time rolls around. The only real negative is the fuel mileage. Ours has the 3.0 V6, and it's hard to top 20 MPG unless it's pure highway driving, in which case we've gotten as high as 23.5 mpg. Usually it's in the 18ish mpg range, pretty predictably. It's not as high as I would have hoped, but certainly better than other SUV's of the day. The check engine light has been on for a couple thousand miles due to the upstream and downstream O2 sensors giving the computer a fault code related to the catalytic converter. I've had this looked at and the exhaust shops have said to ignore it, since it's something related to the E10 gas that is now prevalent. Older vehicles are a little quirky with E10, while newer ones designed for it aren't quite that way. They said unless it starts running badly or we move to a place with emissions testing, that replacing one or all three is a wasted expense given the age of the car now. My experience with this Escape is part of why I later bought a Focus, and why when I need a new SUV, I'll get one of the newer Escapes. My experience with this one is why my sister bought a 2006 Escape, my mom bought a 2012 Escape, and her friend bought at 2011. They're simply solid SUV's."

Very happy with this vehicle in the desert

By on Monday, January 05, 2015

Pros: "Great for driving to out of the way hikes or fwy."

Cons: "Not a Lexus"

"I don't drive off-road as a jeep would but do go on dirt roads and pull off on side of dirt roads. I absolutley love this Ford Escape all-wheel-drive. Easy to step into (I'm a senior), pretty red color, has not needed anything since I bought it when it was 5 years old, local Ford dealers are great to take it to. Also good on highway and reasonable gas mileage of 22 miles/gal. Never been happier with a vehicle and have owned a VW, Crown Victoria, Hondas, and small sedan Fords."

335,000 Miles and still running strong

By on Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pros: "Just an all out great vehicle."

"I have had this vehicle for 10 years now and the only thing that went wrong was a fuel pump and a transmission, all in all a great vehicle, great gas milage and reliable."

First Escape

By on Friday, December 19, 2014

Pros: "Good size, lotsa room inside, good ergonomics"

Cons: "Fuel economy, lotsa noise inside, engine drone"

"Only have had this car a month but have been happy with it. almost 11 years old and it's very solid. no squeaks or rattles anywhere and everything seems to be holding up well. Not sure if that's a testimony to Ford quality or the previous owner taking care of it. Either way I'm impressed"

great size but terrible gas mileage

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "great size, decent value"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"Overall, the escape was a good vehicle. It was a perfect size for one person with a dog and occasional passengers. Roomy seating, sufficient hauling area. Horrible gas mileage, however, like 14 mpg! I was very satisfied with the value I got from it and loved having no payments for a few years. I no longer have this vehicle becasue it randomly caught on fire last week. I went to turn around in a parking lot and heard a "pop" and it immediately starting smoking and burning under the hood. Needless to say, I am now car shopping."

great family car for 13 years

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

"My dad bought the escape 2nd hand in practically new condition, in 2002 or 2003. Passed it down to me in 2007 when my mom got a new kia sportage. It's held together just as well as the 6 year newer kia. It's ran perfect, except for the time my sister in law ran it out of oil & blew the engine :( replaced the engine with a 60,000 mile used engine, & it's ran great since the swap. The v6 engine is a stud. My only complaint with this car has been that the stereo doesn't sound good, even after adding subs and an aftermarket cd player - not sure if it's the acoustics or cheap factory speakers, but it just won't drown out the road noise, which can be pretty significant. Been a great car though."

Absolutely Loved This Car - 2004 Ford Escape

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Low Maintenance, Easy to drive, Relable"

Cons: "Texas Heat, some upholstery came loose"

"Let me say that in the past 10 years I have had friends that have had 2 to 3 different cars because of problems they have had. None of them owned a Ford Escape. I cannot not stress enough how liable this car has been for me. The main reason I have kept for sooo long! You know when you have a good thing why change it. It has been low maintenance, great running car. The pick up this car has can leave a lot of other make cars in the dust. I enjoy the size, not too big and not too small. I will have to say I am not that impressed with the newer styles that the Escape has changed to. I still see several of us older models on the road still running strong. Love, Love this car!"

A very good 4 wheel SUV

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive and very reliable"

Cons: "Not happy with Ford dealership prices for repairs!"

"Purchased it new and have enjoyed it for 10 years and 134,000 miles"

I wish I didn't have so many problems!

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, fun to drive, nice design"

Cons: "A lot of mechanical problems after 100k miles"

"I absolutely love the design, size, versatility and drive of this car. However, since I bought it used 2 years ago I have put almost half of what I paid into repairing it only to have it continuously break down to this day. I bought it used with 2 previous owners with 180k miles on it. After 6 months of having it I had to replace the alternator, radiator, and all three catalytic converters. Since then the catalytic converters have clogged twice. Several mechanics have said that this is a common problem with the Escapes. This may have just been one weird experience with this model but I have not found it very reliable at all."

Winter car

By on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pros: "Versatility and fairly economical. Nice design."

Cons: "A bit tight for big drivers"

"bought my 2007 escape 4wd to get me through the winter. Had moved back to pa from fl. As it has turned out the car is so versatile and "handy" that I drive it most of the time. This was last year for the front end design, which I prefer to the truck like appearance of the newer escapes."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, dependable"

Cons: "Upholstery stains easily."

"Outside of routine maintenance (brake pads, tires, wheel bearings, fluid changes) I never had a problem with this vehicle in 250k miles. It always starts, avg 23-25 mpg, handles IA winters well, super dependable! Biggest complaint is upholstery stains easily and is difficult to clean. The back seat is not the most comfortable for 3 people. Awesome vehicle for just my husband & I."

Excellent Sporty Utility Vehicle Fords made!

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Best overall SUV ever! Fun, Sporty and FORD TOUGH"

Cons: "No Heated seats!"

"The new Escapes don't even compare to this 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. I work in construction and this vehicle has taken on rough terrian and the heaviest winters and nothing stops her. I enjoy having the utility rack ontop to secure my Kayaks and tow package for pulling my boat to the lakes. Yes, you can say this vehicle is FORD TOUGH! Now FORD get back to work and get a new sports utility design in the works because the new Ford Escape is falling flat. I believe my next sport utility will be the new Subaru Forester."

I love my Escape!

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "great vehicle!"

Cons: "no cons!"

"I've owned my Escape for 10 years. It is the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! In ten years, other than tires and batteries, I've put in a pollution control valve ($80), an idle control valve ($130) and I recently put in new struts and shocks ($490). That's it. How many long term owners can say that? I have no plans to trade in my baby anytime in the near future!"

Escape Review

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

"Auto performed good until about 90k, then all the problems started. Replaced all the front end components. Rust. The major problem is the alarm system. Started to malfunction at various intervals. No fix unless you go to dealer and spend big money for repair. No way to disarm the alarm, your only alternative is to leave the doors unlocked. Many bad reviews regarding the alarm. In all honesty, I would only own an Escape, or any Ford product if it was only given to me."

Love even more today than when I bought it

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "great in the snow, no issues with it at all"

Cons: "No issues, I love it."

"Each day I drive this car, I realize how much value I got when I bought it. My escape gets around great year round, but especially in the snow, and starts no matter what. I keep this car outdoors since I don't have a garage, and even in cold weather it pops right off. The only thing I have done so far is change the oil religiously, brakes, tires, and filters. In addition, the rear window hinge had to be replaced, but I did it myself without any issues at all ($100 fix). I average about 21-25 mpg with mixed driving - highway/city. Everything still feels tight to me. I only wish I had bought two of these when I got this one. As long as you take good care of it, you will not be disappointed if you get one."

My Favorite Ford

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and Dependable"

Cons: "Body Integrity - developed a rust situation early."

"Purchased my 2004 Ford Escape in 2007 with 49000 miles on it. The car is an excellent vehicle with a reliable and dependable history. The only problems I ever encountered with this vehicle was two ignition coils failed when I was on vacation in 2013. I believe it was only the number 5 coil that failed and the dealership replaced the wrong one first, then realized it was the number 5 coil, not the three. All be it, this vehicle served me well. The body was excellent with the exception of the drivers side rear door and lower quarter. Rust began when the vehicle was approximately 3 or 4 years old. The rest of the body was excellent. Overall, this vehicle will always be one of my favorite Fords."

Great vehicle, have had it for 12 years.

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Hwy mpg-25-26, lots of room w/ seats down in back"

Cons: "can be noisy on highway"

"The main trouble I had in this car was having to replace the air bag sensor for both passenger and driver side, that was expensive and annoying but seems to be a fairly common issue with this car - not sure if the newer models fixed this problem. Overall I am very pleased, I have camped in the back of it (I'm 5'8), had it for over 12 years and will probably get the new escape for my next car."

the best

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

I don't own this car
Reason: gift

Pros: "beautiful inside and out"

"This was my first SUV and I will never forget it...the nine years I had it showed me why I love Ford...I now have a 2014 Escape and I love, love, love it."

owned for 8 years. Never let me down.

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "small, park anywhere. Great ride, mileage"

Cons: "no tow pkg, small gas tank"

"I bought this car from dealer in 2006. It had 11,000 miles and was traded because the man wanted something bigger. From the time I took passion, It has been used as a truck, a moving van, something to pull trailers with, and a great traveling automobile. It gets good gas mileage(26-33) depending on how you drive. The interior is spacious and can fit 5 adults and has room in cargo hold for 4 children or 2 adults. I have always loved this car because it is so versatile and great looking too."

low mileage due to my job ,merchant seamen, at sea

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage , and handles supurb"

Cons: "only that im' selling it."

"Garage kept-used only to travel to and back from port of call. Also has key pad entry. No longer needed due to retired. Has only been driven once a month in town to keep it up. New battarie installed last month. Hate to sell it, but have no need of two low milage suv,s GREAT DEAL"