• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2002 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1152 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

I have taken very good care of this vehicle

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Excellent condition, looks like it is brand new."

Cons: "It has all the features needed for the mid-west."

"I have met all service dates on time. IO have had no major problems with this car. I plan to keep it at least another three years."

I have taken very good care of this vehicle

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

Pros: "Excellent condition, looks like it is brand new."

Cons: "It has all the features needed for the mid-west."

Its nice having a SUV that is a HYBIRD

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Cons: "HYBRID & A/C $3500 compressor not worth it"

"However compared to our prius HYBRID we previously drove there is a major difference while driving in the state of South Dakota a person usually is exceeding 30mph so I don't get the benefits of the HYBRID very often maybe at some red lights here and there. I really think that FORD could do some improving on making the MPH around 40 to 45 for the HYBRID battery still to work which would be perfect. Otherwise its a very reliably vehicle I've decided that I will be purchasing SUV's from here on out they make good cars for South Dakota weather but I'm not for sure buying another ESCAPE. I'll be buying a new one within the next year or two I always look for gas mileage first and as usual I'll check with the FORD dealership first but as I've learned the hard way on this purchase just because it says HYBRID doesn't mean your going to save gas its just going to cost you more to fix things that break like the A/C compressor on a 7 year old car $3500 that's a 1/3 of the value of my car is it worth it when in South Dakota there's really only maybe 2-3 months you even use the A/C?"

is a very good vehicle. i have been impressed

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "good vehicle, extremely dependable"

Cons: "a bit cramped for 5 people"

"Bought new, driven every mile, would highly recommend as it has been just a super vehicle."

So Disappointed in Ford!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "radio and CD work"

Cons: "poor value for your money!"

"This is my third Ford vehicle and my last one had 255,000 miles when I traded it for the 2006 Ford Escape. I am a school teacher and single Mom of three. I planned on this vehicle being just as reliable as my last two but was I wrong. I just learned that I need a new transmission! I have never owned a vehicle that I had to replace the transmission in and after reading all the complaints from other Ford customers about the same issue with the transmission, I am not purchasing any more Ford vehicles. Ford needs to do the right thing and recall these vehicles and reimburse their customers for the expense of having the transmission replaced."

Good reliable all weather car

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "reliable and affordable"

Cons: "road noise, no bells and whistles"

"Bought the XLT used from a dealer in 2008. Wanted a reliable but affordable AWD vehicle. Researched vehicles in my price range and for the value and ratings I went with the Escape. I have had the car for 6 years now currently have 114K on it and knock on wood, no major issues. Live on the East Coast and have not had an issue when driving in the snow. Obviously I don't go out during a blizzard, but the 'normal' New England snow storms have not been a problem. Only recently have I had a minor rust issue in one wheel well. Otherwise the car is clean, inside and out. The car is garaged at night and I keep it clean and up to date with regular service needs so I know that helps. I guess my only real complaint is road noise, but its an SUV, not a car or a luxury vehicle and honestly its a minor issue for me. I am finally looking to sell it while it is still in overall great condition. Because I have been so satisfied with my Escape I plan on purchasing a 2 year old Escape Limited. For me the Escape has been a solid, reliable and affordable SUV."

Best car I have ever owned and I have had many.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "The size is great for tight places and parking."

Cons: "No exterior temp gauge."

"From day one there has been zero problems with this vehicle - zip,zada,nothing. It has a slightly stiff ride but I like that and I knew that before I bought it. You sit higher than a car and you can see down the road better. I bought the v6 engine and have never been sorry. It has plenty of power for getting onto the freeway quickly. My mileage on the highway is 25 - 26 Mpg and in town 20 - 21 mpg. My neighbor bought a 2006 hybrid and gets 28 - 30 highway and 32 - 33 in town. He just had to pay $6,800. for a battery replacement. You do the math."

dont buy one

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, great for road trips"

Cons: "ford should recalled/fixed, value dropped to fast"

"this would be a great vehicle if ford didn't mess it up when they put it together. now i know it has several problems that are really inexcuseable. shortly after the warranty runs out (before if you are lucky) the spark plugs fry the coils and they fry the computer. this is a $3000 dollar fix if it fixes it, which it did not in our car. bought it used from a dealership, drove it for about a year, it died, we tried to fix it, spent to much money on it, now it sits on a trailer, not running, while we still have to pay the note on it and the insurance. was a diehard ford fan until this."

Like a Toaster...

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

"I bought my hybrid Escape new. I had a 35 mile commute everyday and at almost $5/gal back then it was killing me with the car I was driving. Yet , I still had the need to haul "stuff;" dogs, kids things, band equipment, etc... In my research I found that one pays a premium to get into a hybrid vehicle. So, how long would it be until that premium paid for itself in gas savings? So I did the calculations... For a Toyota Highlander Hybrid that premium was about $4,000. That means at $4.80/gal saving approx 4 gal per tank full it would take about 4 years to reconcile that premium. For the Escape it was the lowest of the bunch... about $1800, and would only take a little over a year to re-coup It's really the best of both worlds—good mileage and plenty of room for stuff. And it has yet to have any major issues. The engine did start to cut out at one point, but the dealership took care of it at no charge. Just normal maintenance has kept it running like an appliance. Very happy with the vehicle."

Best economical car ever owned

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "I have owned this car for last 11 yrs."

Cons: "No cons"

"I love my Escape but am needing something just a bit bigger, maybe a 3rd seat."