2001 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1236 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Excellent Sporty Utility Vehicle Fords made!

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Best overall SUV ever! Fun, Sporty and FORD TOUGH"

Cons: "No Heated seats!"

"The new Escapes don't even compare to this 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. I work in construction and this vehicle has taken on rough terrian and the heaviest winters and nothing stops her. I enjoy having the utility rack ontop to secure my Kayaks and tow package for pulling my boat to the lakes. Yes, you can say this vehicle is FORD TOUGH! Now FORD get back to work and get a new sports utility design in the works because the new Ford Escape is falling flat. I believe my next sport utility will be the new Subaru Forester."

Would buy this again.

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Bought this vehicle used with 20,000 miles. Little to limited maintenance. Changed oil every 3,000 miles. Starts everytime, great handling, super 4 wheel drive characteristics. Hopefully Ford has kept up with its standards."

my second Escape

By on Monday, December 17, 2007

"With over 100,000 miles on my second Escape, I now have over 250,000 miles on two Escapes. My first was an '01. I like the floor shift on the '06 over the too long column shift on the '01. I miss the traction of 4WD on my '01, except I prefer the additional fuel mileage of my FWD '06. I wish the FWD had traction control. Ground clearance is good for snow, but I wouldn't take an Escape off road. Amazing cornering for a vehicle so tall, and terrific power. Nimble and forgiving, easy to drive. Short wheelbase busy ride annoys my wife. Exciting performance shows that it is a Mazda co-design. I used to own a Mazda. I used to own a '92 Toyota Corolla Wagon, but this Escape is taller, roomier, twice as heavy, twice as powerful, has proven more reliable, and gets about the same fuel mileage. Quiter ride and better grip with Michelin tires. Quieter engine and awesome throttle response with full synthetic motor oil."

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"When I got this car, at 15,000miles, it had been used as a rental in late 2005. I have had this car for 2 yrs since and put on 40,000 miles. It has performed excellently accept for a slight delay in acceleration when I try to floor the pedal (which I rarely do). I luv the fact that I can fold down the back seat and lie comfortably inside (I am 5'4"). By putting in a bin, I can also store my stuff and with the convenient rear glass door, I can reach them without having to open the rear cargo door. This car is by far the safest car I have been in. When I had my accident in this car, I barely felt anything. The front bumper crumbled to absorb most of the shock. Although I had to replace the whole bumper. The SUV being a little higher than standard cars allows me to see traffic much further ahead helping me avoid crashes. Unlike most SUV which are big and cumbersome, the Escape provided manuveurabilty of ordinary cars. Only draw back is that I should have gotten the Hybrid version, cause the SUV takes alot of gas. Overall its still a great car."

Blown away

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"For a while my wife had wanted an Escape and with the gas prices soaring this spring/summer she said she wanted a hybrid. After seeing the 2008's we both agreed we liked the exterior styling of the 2007 models much better. We were able to find an 07 with every available option and with only 6000 miles (the previous owner took an unexpected retirement and bought a large boat so he traded this vehicle in for a large F series to haul his boat). We've had the vehicle for a few weeks and these are our impressions beginning with the positives. The POWERTRAIN is exceptional. We get fuel economy as advertised. I found with a smooth gas pedal and low speed city driving I can approach 40 miles per gallon! The Constant Variable Transmission is exceptionally smooth as there are no gear shifts occuring. The constant switching of the powertrain from electric only to gas plus electric to gas only to recharging the batteries during coastdowns and braking is nearly seemless. An untrained person would never know this switching is occuring. Word from Ford development engineers is the powertrain is bulletproof and should never fail. The only component that will need servicing in the future will be the batteries and though I understand they are quite expensive, should be more than paid for by the money saved with fuel. The electronic message center is super cool. It has a navigation system which has worked very well. The sound system is all I could ask for in a vehicle of this type. The field of vision is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. There is also good back seat room and adequate storage room behind the back seats. Though I've read about some people thinking storage was inadequate, we feel it is good. The center console, glove box, and door pockets all offer front passenger storage options and there are two front seat drink holders in the console. If I were designing my perfect vehicle I would change just a few things. There is a slightly moderate amount of interior road noise which is really not too bad, however I would try to make it quieter. Also the vehicle tends to wander slightly, especially on highways though this may be a funtion of a short wheelbase vehicle and low rolling resistance tires combined with 4 wheel drive. Finally the interior though premium seems like it could have been made a little more plush. The leather seating material is a little stiff as opposed to soft leather I find in luxary vehicles. We would highly recommend the hybrid Escape to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class."