2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,564 - $23,418.

8.1

Based on 67 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Great car and great mpg's

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "Price, Style, Great MPG's and Great fun."

Cons: "None so far."

"Recently traded in my 13.7 mpg Jeep for the C-Max and couldn't be happier. Not even worn in and still averaging around 43 mpg to work and back. Mpg's do drop in the morning when it is cool out. Gas engine works harder for the heater and to warm up the engine. I am heavy footed, but easily can keep it in the electric mode while crusing. Trip computer very helpful and keeps you in the right zone for efficent driving. Shop around and you can score a deal. purchased a SE with 202a package for under $23,300. Can't beat the price for the quality and gas savings. For a small car, it feels much larger while driving. This car has the power you need when you need it. Test drove a Prius prior to purchasing and almost gave up on Hybrids due to the wimpiness shown by the prius. Glad I didn't as this car has everything I need from daily commuter to weekend fun. Looking to drive and save $$ for long time."

Great competiton to the Prius

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Handles well, nice interior/exterior"

Cons: "Break in period for mpg. less mpg in cold weather"

"I've had this car less than a week. I have the SEL 300A with panoramic roof. Coming from a 2007 Escape this has been a huge uprade in terms of luxury/options and mpg. The panoramic roof does not open. Its very nice, especially for rear seat passangers, but it is pricey. Car handles great compared to a compact SUV. Solid acceleration. The shift from electronic to gas is very smooth. The brakes are very grabby due to the regenerative breaking, but I'm getting used to it. With the Escape I was getting 15mpg with hilly city driving. I'm averaging 40+ mpg now. That being said, during my morning commute the gas engine runs more to run the heater which has reduced my mpg. Its a short commute too, so by the time the EV kicks in per normal, I'm almost to work. So I've been getting 29mpg in the AM and 47-49 mpg in the PM. I've gotten 60+ mpg on easy roads. That being said, the manual claims a break in period, and many other are reporting much better MPG after the 2nd or 3rd tank of gas (1000+ miles). As much as 5-7mpg difference, so I expect my 40 average to get up to 47 then once the break in is over. There is also a little button I found on the gear stick that will improve regenerative breaking return. Since the gas engine runs more often when the battery is <50% full this may be a better way to improve MPG in lots of stop/go traffic. I have not had a chance to play with it much. So far I have had zero regets buying the car. Need to be patient with the final mpg verdict, but for me it is already a huge improvement. Storage is about 20-30% less than the Escape, but there are floor compartments to help store little things. There is also a normal 120V plug, USB plugs and automatic phone syncing via bluetooth."

I shopped 5 years far a car with enough value

By on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Pros: "Ride, mileage, makes me happy to see traffic(!)"

Cons: "minor software idiosyncrasies"

"I did a lottt of research before plunking down thousands of dollars to buy my C-max, so was aware of the possibility that I might not get the full 47mpg claimed, and still I love this car even on the trips I don't achieve that mpg, and there are lots of trips I get a lot more than 47. My record is 82mpg. The main reason I chose the C-max over the Prius is the ride- I sometimes have back pain from all the driving I do, and the Prius's suspension is way too tight and hard, it would feel like being kicked in the butt all day long. I've been driving the C-max for 10 months with no back pain. There are lots of reasons to love the C-max, the active noise cancellation that makes the car as quiet as a luxury car (and not incidentally also shuts out the obnoxious bad music losers insist on playing at neighborhood disturbing volume levels) the automatic parallel park is brilliant, the space and size of the vehicle is excellent, especially for those who drive a lot and will be getting in and out of it all day. Which makes it even more baffling that the Prius's suspension is so punishing... And the center control panel of the Prius looks like it's covered with warts, (ugh) plus the actual physical controls of the C-max are better looking and much easier to use. I had the hatchback unreliability, but that has been fixed by a software update, and now works 100% of the time. The back-up camera with parking guidance lines that show you where the car will end up have made me back in to all parking spaces now because it's so much easier... fortunately, people are catching on to the back-up camera concept so that only one person in 10 months has tried to park in the space I was backing into. And it has power to spare, you're not locked into eco-hybrid-boring driving only, you can tear it up if you want/need to. And the voice control of everything, including the temp/climate, is great, and safer than looking down to control things."

Liked it from day one.

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage"

Cons: "Nothing yet"

"Purchased the SEL in October with everything but the glass roof. Had a PC clich that Ford Engineers seem to have worked out. Drove 20 miles today, both city and interstate and averaged above 50 mpg. Couldn't do that prior to the PC fix. Love the ease of entry to the drivers seat. Easiest entry/exit vehicle that I have owned ever. Been driving for 55 years. Love the foot operated tailgate, heated seats, great forward windshield visibility, backup camera and side and rear sensors. Accelation is great. Tried Prius and Prius V. Glad I waited for this one. Fun to drive. Had Car in dealership for many days. Ford provided loaner while Engineers studied problem with PC. Protection mode canceled accelerator pedal and vehicle would self accelerate to 35mph by itself. Engineers came up with fix and car is performing better than at first. Fuel mileage increased because of the fix."

Best car ever!

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage and space."

Cons: "added expense for Energi version versus hybrid,"

"I have owned this car for a year. It has been flawless in operation with no mechanical issues. We are saving $600+ in gas a month. It fits our family comfortably and works great as a business car for us. We would highly recommend it!"

Just bought a brand new leftover 2013

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

"Just bought a brand new (leftover) 2013 C-Max SE. Very impressed with the firm seating, head and leg room, visibility, and power to drive in the mountains of Vermont. While I expected the gas mileage to be low for a hybrid, (35 - 38 MPG at 70 MPH on the interstate). The C-Max exceeds my expectations(getting 42 - 44 mpg on 2 lane roads at 40 - 50 MPH). Figuring the difference in gas mileage and with gas currently at $2.50 per gallon, should save about one third of the price of the C-Max in the reduction of my fuel bill. (Will save even more when gas goes up again.)"

Finally, A Hybrid That Drives Like A Real Vehicle

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, technology-rich, quiet, roomy, mpg"

Cons: "MyFord Touch slightly wonky, small storage in back"

"Hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius have gained a well-earned reputation for being gentle at the pump but somewhat rough to drive, especially up hills or at high speeds. The Ford C-Max Hybrid steps into the void and does a terrific job blending excellent fuel economy with a ride that doesn't punish you for trying to save on gas. Acceleration is brisk and immediate, while the steering comfortably grips the road with a sporty flair. On uphill jaunts the engine won't whine or strain, although fuel economy will obviously dip. Due to a generous amount of headroom and excellent interior placement, the ride feels open and free to an almost luxurious degree. The backseat also features lots of headroom, although longer-limbed individuals may be glad the front seats can be pulled a long ways forward. The cargo area is slightly undersized with the backseats up and somewhat more ample with them down, although it offers more than enough storage space for the typical shopping or vacation excursion. The automatic rear liftgate will almost immediately become a favorite feature, as it as proved its usefulness repeatedly for me since I often have to carry heavy computing machinery to my vehicle. Not having to fish for my keys or struggle to reach a handle has made this task much, much easier. The technology system that came with my SEL trim is also an enjoyable trait, as it features a deep and vibrant reporting system that can tell you almost anything you want to know about the sate of the vehicle, from fuel economy and vehicle health to the current satellite radio station, track and artist, all at the press of a button. The most important feedback the car will give you through the gorgeous LCD displays integrated into the dash is the customizable mileage and energy expenditure gauges. If you are observant of the car's realtime reporting you can reach and exceed the EPA mileage ratings, although typical, heavy-footed drivers will likely average closer to 40 MPGs rather than the EPA-rated 47. My car included the latest version of the Ford MyTouch system designed by Microsoft, and featured voice commands (which you prompt through a switch on the steering wheel) that generally did a good job understanding typical English. The rearview camera system would also show on the large 8.4" center screen that housed the MyTouch computer. While some people may get confused by the deep menu of commands available to them in the MyFord Touch system, I had a good experience with it since I have a technology background. The ability to direct the navigation system to a new destination by voice commands worked well, and the ability to tell the car which MP3s to play off of my USB thumbdrive by name or artist was a joy to use. Overall, the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid is an excellent car that finally marries an above-average driving experience with the fuel economy of much more spartan cars. If you're looking for a stylish, feature-filled car that can actually pull its own weight without hurting you at the pump, this vehicle has to be at the top of a very exclusive list."

GREAT RELIABLE CAR BUT...............

By on Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE. SMOOTH"

Cons: "MPG NOT WHAT STATES ON STICKER"

"I purchased my 2013 ford cmax hybrid sel with all the bells and whistles right off the show room floor at the end of October. I was pitched by all the sales guys and seen commercials pitching that it gets 47 mg combined. even said on the sticker. I bought the vehicle and I am very meticulous about my mpg. This is the sole reason I bought this vehicle. I drive a lot. I have now put 21,000 miles on it. It has been reliable and has no problems and overall a great driving experience. Here my problem. After the first hundred miles of driving I was only getting 36 mpg.I immediately called the dealer and asked them why it wasn't getting 47mpg as on the sticker. They didn't know and said they would research it for me. So, after I er waiting a few days. They call me and tell me the "THE HEAVY DUTY BREAK IN OIL IS CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO GET LESS MPG. YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL YOUR 10,000 MILE SERVICE TO RECEIVE THE FULL BENEFITS OF YOUR VEHICLES MPG". I thought this was ridiculous but I had to believe them. I kept in touch with the sales rep from the dealership and it continued 36 mpg. Mind you that is 11 miles less then the sticker. so, at 9,980 miles on the car I went and got my 10,000 mile service. They changed the oil and all the other things they do during that kind of service. When I leave they tell me" YOU SHOULD SEE A HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN MPG NOW". I had to drive another 250 miles that day. I reset the trip 1 just to accurately check the mpg from that day. And after my day. MY MPG WENT DOWN to 31 mpg. I couldn't believe it. I called the dealership and complained. Feeling I have been lied too multiple times just to get a sale of the most expensive version of this car they had on the showroom floor. The dealership then told me they would call me back . A few days later they again tell me. but now the full breakin period for my vehicle is 20,000 miles. Now I know they are lieing. Because you know what. AFTER 21000 MILES I ONLY AVG. 35.6 MPG. HOPE THIS HELPS ."

My first hybrid. Thus far I'm pleased.

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Instrumentation, Ride, Power, Sync"

Cons: "No jack or spare. Has a small compressor w sealer"

"Recently bought a SE and thus far I'm very pleased. Room enough for 4 +size adults to fit comfortably. Power is more than adequate, handles very nice. On my most recent 60 mile jaunt driving both highway and city I managed 47.7 mpg. (according to the trip computer). The instrumentation gives very detailed efficiency and driving reports. Sync is very intuitive and convienient. Lots of storage compartments (mostly for smaller items). Interior is spacious. Comes standard with Michelen tires."

I just bought my C-Max and LOVE it!

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, great MPG, great handling, American Made"

Cons: "Haven't found any yet!"

"I have been a die hard Saturn fan for years but recently took a new job and have to commute 100 miles a day. I researched hybrids and drove Prius, Honda Civic and the C Max and the C Max beat out all the rest hands down! It's classy, stylish, comfortable, handles great and has great umph! Mileage is good, not quite to what's posted but it's increasing daily as the car is broken in. I think Ford has hit this one out of the park! I was also very happy to find a great hybrid that is American made from a company that stayed strong through all the financial crisis. Go Ford! I'm very happy with my new car!"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "Great mpg, sits higher than Prius"

"Im getting 48 mpg in mixed driving, town, country roads and highway. Very comfortable interior. Im 5'3" so really appreciate the telescoping steering wheel and adjustable height seat. 6 ft friend had lots of leg room and head room. Definitely recommend this car. And love the fact that it is an American car."

Replaced my GMC Acadia

By on Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Pros: "Perky, excellent fuel economy, plenty of room"

Cons: "Can't think of one !"

My Ruby Red Metallic 2014 CMAX SEL

"I am a rather tall (5'6") and am an avid gardener. I like to be able to haul plants, mulch, bags of dirt etc so need plenty of hauling space. I also have a 300+lb Husband who needs head room. I also wanted a vehicle that gave me great gas mileage as I do a lot of volunteering. I also wanted style & comfort when traveling. I got it all in the 2014 CMAX I bought last Sept. It is the perfect car for me. I get even better mileage than the advertised hiway of 37 MGP and city of 42 MPG. The leg room, head room and storage area in back meet my needs. Recently took trip to St. Louis and found it to be very comfortable and easy to handle on the hiway. I love the blue tooth technology, braking coach, and EV feedback on screen. No complaints !"

My Ruby Red Metallic 2014 CMAX SEL

What an interesting car design...

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Good fuel economy. Big front window. 4 outputs."

Cons: "Poor headrest placement blocks vision"

"The car is awesome. I would not say that it gets 47 mpg, especially in LA where there is alort of stop and go traffic and hills and valleys. If you drive slower up hill and stay in the right lane then you save mpg. If you are willing to drive more slowly in general, then you save mpg. If you are willing to accelerate slowly, then you save more mpg. This car has taught me to drive more responsibly. I am down to three tanks of gas or so a month. With the ford focus I used to own it was five to six. After all is said and done with the higher payment, I am spending about $50 more per month and helping the environment. It is a shame that there are no more tax rebates for hybrids now that I could actually afford one. there also seem to be no more rebates for buying a car or a new car. This is lame. Just my luck. On the bright side, I have a nice new car with a huge front window to enjoy the sites while I drive."

good choice

By on Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Pros: "size, ride height, mileage, fold flat seats"

Cons: "adj lumbar not standard, turning radius"

"I am happy with the car overall. I looked at the prius v and Volt. Prius did not have as much horsepower as this car and the interior looked cheap in comparison. Volt seats are too low to ground for my comfort getting in and out. C-max Moves quick when needed. Fit a 60 inch tv in the back. Average 48 mpg - no highway driving, country/city only. Quiet cabin except when raining or on gravel - tires/wheel wells noisy in those situations. No issues with the touch infotainment system. Great choice for it's price and hybrid size class if you do not need to commute on a highway. I plan to buy another as my next new car purchase in future."

Very excited to buy this car after driving it.

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Fun, great MPG, amazing front seats, good ride"

Cons: "No memory seat option"

"I am amazed at how much I loved this little wagon/ not quite a van/ tall hatch! It is actually fun to drive unlike the Prius (I had one as a loaner while my vehicle had body work done). The car accelerates smoothly, rides great and has good handling. There is little lean in turns. The seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever sat in. They are way better then my current Infiniti or my Acura I had before that. I didn't have any problems using the controls. The amazing thing is you forget your driving a hybrid. The only noticeable turning on and off of the engine is a slight whiring sound that is barely detected. This is far different then the Prius I drove that felt like it was stalling all the time. It also has plenty of get up and go if you need it. I nearly killed myself trying to get the Prius to go. I am amazed at Ford. I haven't owned an American car in 20 years but I am, without a doubt, buying this fun little hybrid. I am not rating reliability because I don't own the vehicle. I can say that I know several people who have had fords recently, including the escape hybrid, and they have all been reliable. I also know of someone who had the hybrid battery system fail in their fairly new Prius. I also personally owned a corrola that was the worst car I've ever had in my life. I have always leaned towards Honda or Nissan products but the lat two have been nothing special reliability wise. I will rate reliability on this model after I have owned it."

More people should drive hybrids

By on Friday, October 19, 2012

Pros: "Styling, performance, price"

Cons: "Steering takes a large radius"

"Hybrids were not a choice for us until now. Styling, price and performance were the issues. This car has the styling. It looks great. Ford has really come on strong with their new line up. We originally were looking at the new Fusion and not heard of the C-Max. My wife saw it at the dealer and really liked it. Price was pretty good for a car with all the features. We got the SEL with the 303a. A conventional vehicle like this wouldn't be much different in price. We saw a similarly equipped Focus for just a little less. Driving it was a surprize. This car really goes. My neighbor says his Prius barely makes it up the hill where we live. The car handles well and is almost silent even when the gas motor is running.The steering seems to take a lot of work to get into a tight parking spot. We haven't tried the active parking yet. Gas mileage is not quite there yet. So far the gauge shows we are gettting 35-38 mpg. I hope to learn to drive better and get the rated 47 mpg but I'm pretty heavy footed. The auto liftgate with foot activation is not working all the time so I need to take it in. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any other defects."

Fun to drive

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, Fun to drive, Good looking,"

Cons: "Arm rests are to low, Some engine noise in the cab"

"After looking at the Toyota Prius this car was the obvious choice for me. The car comes loaded with standard features that the Prius did not have. And it is nice to know that this car can give you great acceleration. This car is a mix between the Focus and the Escape. It looks good and it runs good. I’m so happy with this car. Ford has done a great job with this car!"

Love my Maxie!

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Great price, great exceleration & mileage"

"I love this car. It's comfortable, solid feeling, handles beautifully, gets really good mileage (about 44 mph average so far…lots more sometimes.) I love the hands free phone and the Sync feature for my iphone music with hands free too. It's also worth the $5 mo for the ability to get directions and tell the system which artist or playlist I want to play without looking at the iphone or ipod. Nice, nice feature! I have the SE, the basic model without the parking feature or foot touch for the back, but I really don't need those features. The visibility is fantastic vs the Prius, and although the hatchback door is heavy, this 69 yr old woman has no problem lifting it! One other note: I have always had a lead foot and love speed, so gentle starts and stops took a little getting used to, but I find that I'm enjoying driving a lot more because I'm not as "driven" to get a fast start and stop. However, the exceleration is really good when you need it (very powerful) and you can put on cruise control when you hit 65 or 70 and let it rip!"

It's fine, but not worth the price

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Pros: -Comfortable *More length between the seats and floor boards, which makes you feel like you aren't sitting on the ground and gives more leg room. *Spacious head room -Smooth transition between battery and gas -Plenty of space in the back for anything and everything I have wanted to put in it, including a large bathtub. -Enough horsepower to not feel strained even with 4 large men in the car. Cons: -Terrible turning radius. -MyTouch features are constantly messing up, such as clock changing times, Sirius 'buttons' show blank rather than the stations, and bluetooth to my phone hardly ever works and when it does the person on the other side says it sounds like a hair dryer is blowing. -My MPG over the lifetime of the car is 42.0 and I've put 30k on it in the year that I've had it. Since the software update, I have been getting a little better gas mileage. With the way I drive, in the city it's about 46 and highway 36. -Ford customer service has been extremely difficult to talk to. Any time I have a question or am unhappy with something on my car, they have been rude and always say 'that's just the way it is', 'we have never heard of that before' or some other remark that's equally unhelpful. -The clicker on the key for the hatchback can be frustrating at times. You are supposed to click it twice to open it, but sometimes it will just refuse to open. It will unlatch, but not lift. -If you do have to break hard (like a score of 50 or less on the 'coach' thing), the car lurches forward a couple times during the break almost like there are air bubbles in the breaking system. I think it has something to do with the hybrid system."

Poor quality, terrible gas mileage for a hybrid!

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Gas mileage not as advertised."

"Those of you that are getting the great gas mileage must drive downhill wherever you go! There is a reason why Ford has refunded C-Max owners some money twice in the past year. We have owned this car for a year and a half and it has been in the shop more than on the road. Ford has reprogrammed the computer several times which they tried to charge me for even after admitting that it doesn't get the gas mileage that it is supposed to. We get 37 on the highway and 34 around town as long as you don't turn on the A/C if you do the gas mileage drops considerably- 32-34mpg. We tried to trade it in but,it is worth about $3,000 less than we owe on it after paying it down about $10K."

Traded in my Prius for C-max

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "Sits up higher than most cars, nice conveniences."

Cons: "no opening sun-roof option,"

"I was driving a Prius lease for the past 3 years. Loved the fuel economy on it, but wanted something fuel efficient, something that sat up a little higher than the Prius (although that wasn't bad), and a little more comfortable on our frequent trips. The Prius V looked like a station wagon to me, and really didn't sit up any higher, just had a larger cargo area. Not what we wanted. Although we are still in the "break-in" period, because we were used to driving a hybrid, we are averaging 40mpg so far. Considering it is still cold out (where is early Spring anyway?), we were only getting about 43mpg on the Prius in winter because of winter fuel and heating the engine. That said, we are happy with the mileage so far, as this IS a heavier vehicle, and I LOVE the SUV look of this car. It sits up high enough that I can look eye-to-eye with most SUV's which is great!"

not getting mpg as stricker states

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

"I like the quiet engine. But my mpg is lower that the stricker stated. Was told to drive for about 1000 mile and I would break it in. Well after about 3000 miles was was still getting only 38 mpg. Ford checked it out and said there was nothing wrong with my C-Max. I drive 2000 mile a month in all weather conditon and crusie control about 70% of the time on hwy and still getting 38mpg. If i drive 40 to 70 mile per hour it is still 38 mpg. I have contacted the Ford company about the false advestisement. Somenone did get back with me. We will see what will happen in this matter. The mpg was the only reason I brought the car in the first place to save on the gas mileage. Hopefully this can be settled. Will keep everyone updated."

Best Gas Mileage, Pretty car

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Great handling, unbelievable Gas mileage."

Cons: "Doesn't have a sunroof"

"It has everything you would want, or need in a Hatchback.(Except for backup camera) It has a beeping signal instead. Custom Ruby Red paint. Great pick-up speed. Haven't used free Sirius trial. Haven't programmed my phone or anything. Just Like brand new! Less than 2700 miles."

Test

By on Friday, August 28, 2015

""Recently traded in my 13.7 mpg Jeep for the C-Max and couldn't be happier. Not even worn in and still averaging around 43 mpg to work and back. Mpg's do drop in the morning when it is cool out. Gas engine works harder for the heater and to warm up the engine. I am heavy footed, but easily can keep it in the electric mode while crusing. Trip computer very helpful and keeps you in the right zone for efficent driving. Shop around and you can score a deal. purchased a SE with 202a package for under $23,300. Can't beat the price for the quality and gas savings. For a small car, it feels much larger while driving."

I would get another one.

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "MPG 43.5"

Cons: "turning radius lacking in my opion"

"Over all mpg for my 9000 miles 43.5mpg happy with that for my 70 mile round trip to work and home.My 1st i'm Hybird I'm still getting use to the sounds it makes switching from one power to the other, hey it's on how you drive it if i fly to work doing 75-85 mph i can get mpg to drop to 35 mpg if i keep it in the 60-70 mph range i'm right at the 43.5"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next