• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,437 - $25,030.

8.2

Based on 37 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

I shopped 5 years far a car with enough value

By on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Pros: "Ride, mileage, makes me happy to see traffic(!)"

Cons: "minor software idiosyncrasies"

"I did a lottt of research before plunking down thousands of dollars to buy my C-max, so was aware of the possibility that I might not get the full 47mpg claimed, and still I love this car even on the trips I don't achieve that mpg, and there are lots of trips I get a lot more than 47. My record is 82mpg. The main reason I chose the C-max over the Prius is the ride- I sometimes have back pain from all the driving I do, and the Prius's suspension is way too tight and hard, it would feel like being kicked in the butt all day long. I've been driving the C-max for 10 months with no back pain. There are lots of reasons to love the C-max, the active noise cancellation that makes the car as quiet as a luxury car (and not incidentally also shuts out the obnoxious bad music losers insist on playing at neighborhood disturbing volume levels) the automatic parallel park is brilliant, the space and size of the vehicle is excellent, especially for those who drive a lot and will be getting in and out of it all day. Which makes it even more baffling that the Prius's suspension is so punishing... And the center control panel of the Prius looks like it's covered with warts, (ugh) plus the actual physical controls of the C-max are better looking and much easier to use. I had the hatchback unreliability, but that has been fixed by a software update, and now works 100% of the time. The back-up camera with parking guidance lines that show you where the car will end up have made me back in to all parking spaces now because it's so much easier... fortunately, people are catching on to the back-up camera concept so that only one person in 10 months has tried to park in the space I was backing into. And it has power to spare, you're not locked into eco-hybrid-boring driving only, you can tear it up if you want/need to. And the voice control of everything, including the temp/climate, is great, and safer than looking down to control things."

Great competiton to the Prius

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Handles well, nice interior/exterior"

Cons: "Break in period for mpg. less mpg in cold weather"

"I've had this car less than a week. I have the SEL 300A with panoramic roof. Coming from a 2007 Escape this has been a huge uprade in terms of luxury/options and mpg. The panoramic roof does not open. Its very nice, especially for rear seat passangers, but it is pricey. Car handles great compared to a compact SUV. Solid acceleration. The shift from electronic to gas is very smooth. The brakes are very grabby due to the regenerative breaking, but I'm getting used to it. With the Escape I was getting 15mpg with hilly city driving. I'm averaging 40+ mpg now. That being said, during my morning commute the gas engine runs more to run the heater which has reduced my mpg. Its a short commute too, so by the time the EV kicks in per normal, I'm almost to work. So I've been getting 29mpg in the AM and 47-49 mpg in the PM. I've gotten 60+ mpg on easy roads. That being said, the manual claims a break in period, and many other are reporting much better MPG after the 2nd or 3rd tank of gas (1000+ miles). As much as 5-7mpg difference, so I expect my 40 average to get up to 47 then once the break in is over. There is also a little button I found on the gear stick that will improve regenerative breaking return. Since the gas engine runs more often when the battery is <50% full this may be a better way to improve MPG in lots of stop/go traffic. I have not had a chance to play with it much. So far I have had zero regets buying the car. Need to be patient with the final mpg verdict, but for me it is already a huge improvement. Storage is about 20-30% less than the Escape, but there are floor compartments to help store little things. There is also a normal 120V plug, USB plugs and automatic phone syncing via bluetooth."

Great car and great mpg's

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "Price, Style, Great MPG's and Great fun."

Cons: "None so far."

"Recently traded in my 13.7 mpg Jeep for the C-Max and couldn't be happier. Not even worn in and still averaging around 43 mpg to work and back. Mpg's do drop in the morning when it is cool out. Gas engine works harder for the heater and to warm up the engine. I am heavy footed, but easily can keep it in the electric mode while crusing. Trip computer very helpful and keeps you in the right zone for efficent driving. Shop around and you can score a deal. purchased a SE with 202a package for under $23,300. Can't beat the price for the quality and gas savings. For a small car, it feels much larger while driving. This car has the power you need when you need it. Test drove a Prius prior to purchasing and almost gave up on Hybrids due to the wimpiness shown by the prius. Glad I didn't as this car has everything I need from daily commuter to weekend fun. Looking to drive and save $$ for long time."

My first hybrid. Thus far I'm pleased.

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Instrumentation, Ride, Power, Sync"

Cons: "No jack or spare. Has a small compressor w sealer"

"Recently bought a SE and thus far I'm very pleased. Room enough for 4 +size adults to fit comfortably. Power is more than adequate, handles very nice. On my most recent 60 mile jaunt driving both highway and city I managed 47.7 mpg. (according to the trip computer). The instrumentation gives very detailed efficiency and driving reports. Sync is very intuitive and convienient. Lots of storage compartments (mostly for smaller items). Interior is spacious. Comes standard with Michelen tires."

What an interesting car design...

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Good fuel economy. Big front window. 4 outputs."

Cons: "Poor headrest placement blocks vision"

"The car is awesome. I would not say that it gets 47 mpg, especially in LA where there is alort of stop and go traffic and hills and valleys. If you drive slower up hill and stay in the right lane then you save mpg. If you are willing to drive more slowly in general, then you save mpg. If you are willing to accelerate slowly, then you save more mpg. This car has taught me to drive more responsibly. I am down to three tanks of gas or so a month. With the ford focus I used to own it was five to six. After all is said and done with the higher payment, I am spending about $50 more per month and helping the environment. It is a shame that there are no more tax rebates for hybrids now that I could actually afford one. there also seem to be no more rebates for buying a car or a new car. This is lame. Just my luck. On the bright side, I have a nice new car with a huge front window to enjoy the sites while I drive."

Liked it from day one.

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage"

Cons: "Nothing yet"

"Purchased the SEL in October with everything but the glass roof. Had a PC clich that Ford Engineers seem to have worked out. Drove 20 miles today, both city and interstate and averaged above 50 mpg. Couldn't do that prior to the PC fix. Love the ease of entry to the drivers seat. Easiest entry/exit vehicle that I have owned ever. Been driving for 55 years. Love the foot operated tailgate, heated seats, great forward windshield visibility, backup camera and side and rear sensors. Accelation is great. Tried Prius and Prius V. Glad I waited for this one. Fun to drive. Had Car in dealership for many days. Ford provided loaner while Engineers studied problem with PC. Protection mode canceled accelerator pedal and vehicle would self accelerate to 35mph by itself. Engineers came up with fix and car is performing better than at first. Fuel mileage increased because of the fix."

I just bought my C-Max and LOVE it!

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, great MPG, great handling, American Made"

Cons: "Haven't found any yet!"

"I have been a die hard Saturn fan for years but recently took a new job and have to commute 100 miles a day. I researched hybrids and drove Prius, Honda Civic and the C Max and the C Max beat out all the rest hands down! It's classy, stylish, comfortable, handles great and has great umph! Mileage is good, not quite to what's posted but it's increasing daily as the car is broken in. I think Ford has hit this one out of the park! I was also very happy to find a great hybrid that is American made from a company that stayed strong through all the financial crisis. Go Ford! I'm very happy with my new car!"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "Great mpg, sits higher than Prius"

"Im getting 48 mpg in mixed driving, town, country roads and highway. Very comfortable interior. Im 5'3" so really appreciate the telescoping steering wheel and adjustable height seat. 6 ft friend had lots of leg room and head room. Definitely recommend this car. And love the fact that it is an American car."

Traded in my Prius for C-max

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "Sits up higher than most cars, nice conveniences."

Cons: "no opening sun-roof option,"

"I was driving a Prius lease for the past 3 years. Loved the fuel economy on it, but wanted something fuel efficient, something that sat up a little higher than the Prius (although that wasn't bad), and a little more comfortable on our frequent trips. The Prius V looked like a station wagon to me, and really didn't sit up any higher, just had a larger cargo area. Not what we wanted. Although we are still in the "break-in" period, because we were used to driving a hybrid, we are averaging 40mpg so far. Considering it is still cold out (where is early Spring anyway?), we were only getting about 43mpg on the Prius in winter because of winter fuel and heating the engine. That said, we are happy with the mileage so far, as this IS a heavier vehicle, and I LOVE the SUV look of this car. It sits up high enough that I can look eye-to-eye with most SUV's which is great!"

Finally, A Hybrid That Drives Like A Real Vehicle

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, technology-rich, quiet, roomy, mpg"

Cons: "MyFord Touch slightly wonky, small storage in back"

"Hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius have gained a well-earned reputation for being gentle at the pump but somewhat rough to drive, especially up hills or at high speeds. The Ford C-Max Hybrid steps into the void and does a terrific job blending excellent fuel economy with a ride that doesn't punish you for trying to save on gas. Acceleration is brisk and immediate, while the steering comfortably grips the road with a sporty flair. On uphill jaunts the engine won't whine or strain, although fuel economy will obviously dip. Due to a generous amount of headroom and excellent interior placement, the ride feels open and free to an almost luxurious degree. The backseat also features lots of headroom, although longer-limbed individuals may be glad the front seats can be pulled a long ways forward. The cargo area is slightly undersized with the backseats up and somewhat more ample with them down, although it offers more than enough storage space for the typical shopping or vacation excursion. The automatic rear liftgate will almost immediately become a favorite feature, as it as proved its usefulness repeatedly for me since I often have to carry heavy computing machinery to my vehicle. Not having to fish for my keys or struggle to reach a handle has made this task much, much easier. The technology system that came with my SEL trim is also an enjoyable trait, as it features a deep and vibrant reporting system that can tell you almost anything you want to know about the sate of the vehicle, from fuel economy and vehicle health to the current satellite radio station, track and artist, all at the press of a button. The most important feedback the car will give you through the gorgeous LCD displays integrated into the dash is the customizable mileage and energy expenditure gauges. If you are observant of the car's realtime reporting you can reach and exceed the EPA mileage ratings, although typical, heavy-footed drivers will likely average closer to 40 MPGs rather than the EPA-rated 47. My car included the latest version of the Ford MyTouch system designed by Microsoft, and featured voice commands (which you prompt through a switch on the steering wheel) that generally did a good job understanding typical English. The rearview camera system would also show on the large 8.4" center screen that housed the MyTouch computer. While some people may get confused by the deep menu of commands available to them in the MyFord Touch system, I had a good experience with it since I have a technology background. The ability to direct the navigation system to a new destination by voice commands worked well, and the ability to tell the car which MP3s to play off of my USB thumbdrive by name or artist was a joy to use. Overall, the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid is an excellent car that finally marries an above-average driving experience with the fuel economy of much more spartan cars. If you're looking for a stylish, feature-filled car that can actually pull its own weight without hurting you at the pump, this vehicle has to be at the top of a very exclusive list."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25