• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,664 - $23,419.

8.0

Based on 56 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Great acceleration when needed, good gas mileage

By on Thursday, April 09, 2015

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort, handling, styling,towable"

Cons: "large turning radius, touchy 12 volt system"

"Pros: gas mileage, comfort, handling, styling, flat-towable behind motor home. Cons: large turning radius, touchy 12 volt electical sysem. The 2014 Se C-max Hybrid is my second C-max. My first was a 2013 Se and I had a lot of trouble with the 12 volt battery going dead. (No problem with the big lithium ion battery.) The 2013 was into the dealer 3 times for over 30 days and neither the dealer nor I were sure the problem was fixed. I invoked the Pennsylvania lemon law and, with the dealer's support, Ford replaced it with the 2014 vehicle without having to resort to lawyers. Kudos to Ford and my dealer for the way it was handled. I did have an issue with a dead battery once with the 2014 car but I think it was due to the installation of wiring for a towing kit by a RV dealer. After my Ford dealer redid it, I have had no more problems. Ford has also updated the programing to reduce drain on the 12 volt system, which powers the computer modules and initial start-up. The gas mileage is highly dependent on outside temperature and how you drive the car. On the expressways at 70-75 mph we get about 38 mpg. City driving (0 - 35 mph) we get 40 to 50 with a warmed-up car. Most of our diving is 5-6 miles to town and back. In the winter my wife gets about 35 mpg (heater on and she refuses to adjust the way she drives). I'll get about 40 mpg winter and 45-55 summer (no heater or AC and easy on the acceleration and breaking). The heater is a big detriment to gas mileage on short trips. It forces the gas engine to run more to provide heat. On longer trips at higher speed it doesn't matter much -- the gas engine runs enough normally to provide heat. For you RVers the C-max is the first hybrid that can be flat towed. No towing dolly required. Blue Ox makes a tow package for it. I would recommend that your Ford dealer install it to avoid any warranty or electrical problems. This is feature that sold us the car in the first place. Our model does not have the troublesome MyTouch system and we never use the Synch, so no comments on those features. Learn how to set up the display. It is a great guide for efficient driving. For a small car it has a large turning radius. My Chrysler Town and Country can turn a tighter corner! Overall, we love the car. It is a pleasure to drive. It has great acceleration when you need it, but avoid a heavy foot otherwise or your gas mileage will suffer greatly."

Replaced my GMC Acadia

By on Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Pros: "Perky, excellent fuel economy, plenty of room"

Cons: "Can't think of one !"

My Ruby Red Metallic 2014 CMAX SEL

"I am a rather tall (5'6") and am an avid gardener. I like to be able to haul plants, mulch, bags of dirt etc so need plenty of hauling space. I also have a 300+lb Husband who needs head room. I also wanted a vehicle that gave me great gas mileage as I do a lot of volunteering. I also wanted style & comfort when traveling. I got it all in the 2014 CMAX I bought last Sept. It is the perfect car for me. I get even better mileage than the advertised hiway of 37 MGP and city of 42 MPG. The leg room, head room and storage area in back meet my needs. Recently took trip to St. Louis and found it to be very comfortable and easy to handle on the hiway. I love the blue tooth technology, braking coach, and EV feedback on screen. No complaints !"

My Ruby Red Metallic 2014 CMAX SEL

Just bought a brand new leftover 2013

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

"Just bought a brand new (leftover) 2013 C-Max SE. Very impressed with the firm seating, head and leg room, visibility, and power to drive in the mountains of Vermont. While I expected the gas mileage to be low for a hybrid, (35 - 38 MPG at 70 MPH on the interstate). The C-Max exceeds my expectations(getting 42 - 44 mpg on 2 lane roads at 40 - 50 MPH). Figuring the difference in gas mileage and with gas currently at $2.50 per gallon, should save about one third of the price of the C-Max in the reduction of my fuel bill. (Will save even more when gas goes up again.)"

Favorite Ford Ever

By on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pros: "42 miles/gal 12,000 miles"

Cons: "Wish the carriage was a little higher"

"I was looking for a hybrid that would also accommodate 2 grandkids and fishing equipment. I became sold on the C-Max through a test drive on local, city and Interstate routes. The quiet, fast acceleration and great views made me want to drive it. After 12,000 miles I remain sold! And, Ford allowed me (if I waited 3 months) to build exactly what I wanted and did not want in the SEL, including a metallic blue that stands out. I can't figure out at all why the Max doesn't get great reviews for reliability-not one problem. The car is built close to the ground, so not suitable for off-road."

My first Ford and my first hybrid

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Sun visor is a poor design"

"I love my C-Max hybrid. Based on my experience with this Ford product, would I do it again? Yes, I would."