2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,812 - $24,468.

8.2

Based on 37 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Great car for the money!

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

"To those who purchase a hybrid and think they will magically get 50 mpg, it won't happen! But this little car is smart. It teaches you how to drive to get the optimum fuel mileage. I am currently getting 42 mpg over the life of the vehicle. I am very satisfied with my C Max."

Great car for the money!

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

love my little c-max

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "not a thing"

"we love it it fits three car seats in back"

Unreliable Car

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable"

Cons: "Poor mileage, battery problems, unreliable"

"I have had this car for about a year and a half. The things that caused me to buy this car were the stated gas milage as well as the comfort. It is comfortable to drive and has enough storage space. First off, the milage (proposed 47 MPG) has been on average 37mpg. The comfort is still there though, so I have that going for me. Unfortunately it has proven to be incredibly unreliable. So far I have taken it into the shop more times than I took my previous car in, which I had for eight years. First there were problems that caused it to not respond for about 10 seconds when you tried to reverse the car. After that, the MyFord Sync system stopped responding. After taking it in twice for that, I have given up and deal with the fact that I can't plug in anything to the USB port, and that the car will randomly interrupt whatever I am doing to say it can't play a device (when there isn't a device plugged in.) There were many recalls (I think there have been 5?) that I have had to take the car in to have something vital replaced. Most recently, I awoke one morning getting ready to go to work and found my car wouldn't start. Nothing was left on, it wasn't out in the freezing cold, and I had driven normally the previous day. In my opinion, a car that won't start regularly isn't worth much of anything. If you can't rely on your car to get you to work in the morning, there is no sense in having it to decorate your lot. I have many times started the car (or not, in this instance) to find a new problem that has no cause. I fear that more problems will continue to arise."

Love my Maxie!

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "Great price, great exceleration & mileage"

"I love this car. It's comfortable, solid feeling, handles beautifully, gets really good mileage (about 44 mph average so far…lots more sometimes.) I love the hands free phone and the Sync feature for my iphone music with hands free too. It's also worth the $5 mo for the ability to get directions and tell the system which artist or playlist I want to play without looking at the iphone or ipod. Nice, nice feature! I have the SE, the basic model without the parking feature or foot touch for the back, but I really don't need those features. The visibility is fantastic vs the Prius, and although the hatchback door is heavy, this 69 yr old woman has no problem lifting it! One other note: I have always had a lead foot and love speed, so gentle starts and stops took a little getting used to, but I find that I'm enjoying driving a lot more because I'm not as "driven" to get a fast start and stop. However, the exceleration is really good when you need it (very powerful) and you can put on cruise control when you hit 65 or 70 and let it rip!"

It's fine, but not worth the price

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Pros: -Comfortable *More length between the seats and floor boards, which makes you feel like you aren't sitting on the ground and gives more leg room. *Spacious head room -Smooth transition between battery and gas -Plenty of space in the back for anything and everything I have wanted to put in it, including a large bathtub. -Enough horsepower to not feel strained even with 4 large men in the car. Cons: -Terrible turning radius. -MyTouch features are constantly messing up, such as clock changing times, Sirius 'buttons' show blank rather than the stations, and bluetooth to my phone hardly ever works and when it does the person on the other side says it sounds like a hair dryer is blowing. -My MPG over the lifetime of the car is 42.0 and I've put 30k on it in the year that I've had it. Since the software update, I have been getting a little better gas mileage. With the way I drive, in the city it's about 46 and highway 36. -Ford customer service has been extremely difficult to talk to. Any time I have a question or am unhappy with something on my car, they have been rude and always say 'that's just the way it is', 'we have never heard of that before' or some other remark that's equally unhelpful. -The clicker on the key for the hatchback can be frustrating at times. You are supposed to click it twice to open it, but sometimes it will just refuse to open. It will unlatch, but not lift. -If you do have to break hard (like a score of 50 or less on the 'coach' thing), the car lurches forward a couple times during the break almost like there are air bubbles in the breaking system. I think it has something to do with the hybrid system."

Don't buy this car

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Easy to park."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage for a hybrid, poor quality."

"Nothing but problems with car since day one. Car doesn't get anywhere near the mileage it is supposed to. I get at best 39mpg turn on the A/C and mileage goes down to 32-33. Ford says this is normal! Car is built light I suppose for mileage. Interior parts are always rattling loose. Car is full of squeaks, rattles, parts coming loose. If the car got the gas mileage as advertised some of the other problems could be overlooked - maybe. Door panels have waves in them - Ford said was normal! Computer had to be reprogrammed 3-4 times. Software problems that I was told would take months to overcome. Software problems were such that the clock didn't even work!"

I shopped 5 years far a car with enough value

By on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Pros: "Ride, mileage, makes me happy to see traffic(!)"

Cons: "minor software idiosyncrasies"

"I did a lottt of research before plunking down thousands of dollars to buy my C-max, so was aware of the possibility that I might not get the full 47mpg claimed, and still I love this car even on the trips I don't achieve that mpg, and there are lots of trips I get a lot more than 47. My record is 82mpg. The main reason I chose the C-max over the Prius is the ride- I sometimes have back pain from all the driving I do, and the Prius's suspension is way too tight and hard, it would feel like being kicked in the butt all day long. I've been driving the C-max for 10 months with no back pain. There are lots of reasons to love the C-max, the active noise cancellation that makes the car as quiet as a luxury car (and not incidentally also shuts out the obnoxious bad music losers insist on playing at neighborhood disturbing volume levels) the automatic parallel park is brilliant, the space and size of the vehicle is excellent, especially for those who drive a lot and will be getting in and out of it all day. Which makes it even more baffling that the Prius's suspension is so punishing... And the center control panel of the Prius looks like it's covered with warts, (ugh) plus the actual physical controls of the C-max are better looking and much easier to use. I had the hatchback unreliability, but that has been fixed by a software update, and now works 100% of the time. The back-up camera with parking guidance lines that show you where the car will end up have made me back in to all parking spaces now because it's so much easier... fortunately, people are catching on to the back-up camera concept so that only one person in 10 months has tried to park in the space I was backing into. And it has power to spare, you're not locked into eco-hybrid-boring driving only, you can tear it up if you want/need to. And the voice control of everything, including the temp/climate, is great, and safer than looking down to control things."

Best car ever!

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage and space."

Cons: "added expense for Energi version versus hybrid,"

"I have owned this car for a year. It has been flawless in operation with no mechanical issues. We are saving $600+ in gas a month. It fits our family comfortably and works great as a business car for us. We would highly recommend it!"

completely unreliable vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Cons: "Don't buy one."

"Since i purchased the car in 2012 the car electrical system as gone dead 4 times. The dealer has charged the battery, changed software, put in a new battery, and nothing seems to work. Ford service followup is the worst i have encountered the last 25 years. I called the company customer service center and they assured me that a regional representative would be calling me in 2 or 3 days. I never received a reply. I called again after the car stopped a third time. I was assured the rep would call in 2 or 3 days. Again no reply. I can't wait to get rid of this car. I hope it's eligible for the lemon law. Frustrated in Evansville"

Best Gas Mileage, Pretty car

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Great handling, unbelievable Gas mileage."

Cons: "Doesn't have a sunroof"

"It has everything you would want, or need in a Hatchback.(Except for backup camera) It has a beeping signal instead. Custom Ruby Red paint. Great pick-up speed. Haven't used free Sirius trial. Haven't programmed my phone or anything. Just Like brand new! Less than 2700 miles."

Fun, Agile and Fast Economical Driving

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Whole car"

Cons: "Redundant controls"

"Mileage was the primary reason to get a hybrid and thought I lose out in performance and be pushing the limits to trying keep up with the cars in the fast lane. I drive about 65 miles a day with 55 miles on the expressway. The performance is outstanding and I travel the fast lane and catch myself exceeding the speed limit quite often. The ride is solid and sticks to the ground. A big surprise to me was the 40 mile per gallon range (39 to 41) without a change in my driving style. The driving part is great, the Hybrid part takes a little getting used to mostly in the way is starts. There is no engine cranking like a typical auto. I have been driving the Cmax for a year and still not used to it. The transition from gas to electric power is mostly not perceptible but once in a while the gas engine automatically transitions to electric can be noticed and may be startling while stopped in traffic. The air conditioning runs on its own compressor so the gas engine will run when needed to charge the battery and the heating is still from the engine but it also starts and stops when required. When warming the car while I was shoveling the snow in the driveway the Cmax engine stops and after a while starts running, all by itself and that got my attention. For myself the Hybrid system is different, The performance is Great, The interior is great, The driving controls are great. But the entertainment system interface takes something getting used to. Switching screens to listen to the radio, CD, AM, tone controls and some of the redundancies steering wheel controls and consul controls, voice controls, touch screen controls. I have no problem with them but I would rather have an old fashion push button radio."

The Ford C-Max is the BEST new car I've owned!

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fuel economy, quality, features"

My 2013 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid

"I recently purchased a new Ford C-Max SE Hybrid. This is the best new car I've ever owned! The driving dynamics, performance, fuel economy, quality, styling and functionality of this car are superior. In the first week of driving (highway & city with a 20 mile round trip to work & home) I averaged over 45 MPG and the car isn't even through the break in period! I also bought this vehicle for about $3,000 less than a Toyota Prius V. If you are looking for a hybrid with superior quality, functionality, fuel economy & value you need to look at the Ford C-Max Hybrid or the C-Max Engeri (plug-in hybrid). You won't be disappointed!"

My 2013 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid

nice car but dont believe a word about the MPG

By on Thursday, August 29, 2013

Pros: "handles well"

Cons: "complete lie's about the MPG"

"I got my new cmax 3 months ago and drive mostly on the highway. When I reached 2000 miles and was still only at 36mpg average I called the dealership and one of the sales agents told me that I needed to have a tutorial on how to drive a hybrid and reach higher MPG's. After doing this he was DELUSIONAL in how he said you could drive to improve the mpg's. The only way to do this is if you are always coasting downhill and never have to touch the accelerator, otherwise you will move out of EV mode and not be able to get the advertised MPG's. (which are still not achievable even now that FORD has lowered them to a combined mpg of 43)"

Best car I've ever owned. Great mileage, quality.

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, great gas mileage, great accel."

Cons: "must stop to adjust navigation"

"I traded my 2010 V-6 Accord for the C-Max in order to get better fuel mileage. To my complete surprise, I like every aspect of the C-Max better than the Accord. Its just as quick and has better handling. It's substantially smoother and quieter and the electronics are superb. Ford has really done it's homework with this one."

Great First Hybrid, Averaging 46 MPG in Mass

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage @ 46 mpg, plenty of power"

Cons: "No cubby holes in the dash"

"I have only had this car for 3 weeks. In that time I have put only 1,000 miles averaging 46 MPG. Living in Massachusetts, very close to Boston, I do a lot of mixed driving. Highway speeds you need to stay at 65 MPH to get any decent mileage out of it. City wise, you need to start slower and brake earlier than your use too. I have changed my driving habits minimally, but needed to get the MPG up. I am by no means a crazy MPG seeker trying everything to save gas. It does take some learning, especially the braking to get better mileage. When I can I take my time, but am also not afraid to lay into it and have both the gas and electric motors engaged (Trying to get on Route 1 near Boston you are trying to jump into 60 MPH traffic from a dead stop) and still get great gas mileage. Overall I am very impressed with the whole car, 0-60 time is great especially for being a hybrid, interior quality and finish, MyTouch is nice but a little slow compared to our smartphones. I do have the Navigation package, not worth the money if you like Google Maps in my opinion."

I'm lovin' my CMAX

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Well priced, well designed, fun to drive"

Cons: "Color choices could be better"

"Read the reviews in advance that took issue with the advertised 47MPG fuel economy and can only assume the reviewers either didn't know how to drive a hybrid or were driving in the Rockies in mid-winter. I'm early in the "break in" stage and by using the "coach" and dashboard "status" screen, find that the car literally teaches me to drive smarter. Average fuel economy is 42.9MPG - and some trips have been significantly higher. By the time it's "broken in", I'm confident 47+MPG will be the norm. Great car!"

So far so great!

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Turn radius could be better"

"Let me begin by saying I was very skeptical about the advertised MPG when looking to purchase this vehicle. After reading many reviews from other consumers I finally decided That this was the car for me even if I only get 40 MPG. 250 miles in and I'm averaging 40 MPG's (Driving habits didn't change much at all either). With the amazing heads up display and driving couch it's hard not to get the most out of this vehicles fuel economy. I foresee my average MPG growing as the car breaks in too. I rated it 5/10 for reliability; in all fairness I haven't had it long. 9/10 for driving dynamics; the turn radius isn't what it should be for a car of this class. The car got 10/10 for everything else. I drive a Prius for work and let me tell you these two cars only compare in fuel economy. The C-max is far superior in looks, comfort, handling, road noise, gadgets, practicality and fun. This is a car you don't have to be ashamed to drive. I purchased the SEL 301A package with the panoramic sun roof and got it for around 27,500. Sun roof is amazing, especially if you have sensory seeking children. Just a thought for you people looking for a family car. I could go on and on with all the things I love about this car. I couldn't be happier with my C-Max."

I LOVE IT

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE, LOVE THE ELECTRONICS"

Cons: "PASSENGER SEAT AND BACK SEAT NOT AS COMFY AS DRIVR"

"I love driving this car.. my husband and I fight for the drivers seat whenever we have to go anywhere. I wish the passenger side had automatic functions instead of manual because he usually wins the battle. Back seat also leaves a bit to be desired but all in all it is my favorite car. I have owned two 5.0 convertable mustanges an explorer and escape a camaro , focus and cavalier. This is by far my favorite."

love it

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "not a thing"

"outstanding mpg better than Prius"

My Ford C-Max Experience Gets Worse!!

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Comfortable"

Cons: "It continues to have more problems all the time!!"

"Just when I thought my ford C-Max couldn't frustrate me any more....today the tailgate decided that it didn't want to latch itself. I need to give it a good hard MANUAL close for it to latch."

Possibly the best car I've owned in 50 years.

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "Price, fun to drive, storage capacity."

Cons: "Microsoft MySync."

"I picked the car up new and very shortly drove from OH to AZ for a 2 month stay. Jammed to the back of the seats, it drove and handled well and got excellent mileage. Test drove Prius and Prius V first then C Max. Both Toyota's, especially the V, lacked power. I felt the V fully loaded would be way too slow getting onto expressways. The C Max is fun to drive and attracts attention (ours is ruby red). Consumer Reports complained that the regenernative braking is touchy. Maybe at first but once acclimated muscle memory takes over and there is no problem, at least for me. I now drive for mpg and 100% regen. braking. My only complaint, mild at that, is the Ford Sync by Microsoft. I wouldn't let MS near my car or anything else. I'm sure by now Ford has learned it's lesson."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "Great mpg, sits higher than Prius"

"Im getting 48 mpg in mixed driving, town, country roads and highway. Very comfortable interior. Im 5'3" so really appreciate the telescoping steering wheel and adjustable height seat. 6 ft friend had lots of leg room and head room. Definitely recommend this car. And love the fact that it is an American car."

What an interesting car design...

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Good fuel economy. Big front window. 4 outputs."

Cons: "Poor headrest placement blocks vision"

"The car is awesome. I would not say that it gets 47 mpg, especially in LA where there is alort of stop and go traffic and hills and valleys. If you drive slower up hill and stay in the right lane then you save mpg. If you are willing to drive more slowly in general, then you save mpg. If you are willing to accelerate slowly, then you save more mpg. This car has taught me to drive more responsibly. I am down to three tanks of gas or so a month. With the ford focus I used to own it was five to six. After all is said and done with the higher payment, I am spending about $50 more per month and helping the environment. It is a shame that there are no more tax rebates for hybrids now that I could actually afford one. there also seem to be no more rebates for buying a car or a new car. This is lame. Just my luck. On the bright side, I have a nice new car with a huge front window to enjoy the sites while I drive."

Traded in my Prius for C-max

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "Sits up higher than most cars, nice conveniences."

Cons: "no opening sun-roof option,"

"I was driving a Prius lease for the past 3 years. Loved the fuel economy on it, but wanted something fuel efficient, something that sat up a little higher than the Prius (although that wasn't bad), and a little more comfortable on our frequent trips. The Prius V looked like a station wagon to me, and really didn't sit up any higher, just had a larger cargo area. Not what we wanted. Although we are still in the "break-in" period, because we were used to driving a hybrid, we are averaging 40mpg so far. Considering it is still cold out (where is early Spring anyway?), we were only getting about 43mpg on the Prius in winter because of winter fuel and heating the engine. That said, we are happy with the mileage so far, as this IS a heavier vehicle, and I LOVE the SUV look of this car. It sits up high enough that I can look eye-to-eye with most SUV's which is great!"