• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Ford C-MAX Energi Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $30,639 - $31,572.

Based on 13 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

9.9/10
    9.8/10

Beats prius on performance, fit and finish & style

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fast, tight and sporty"

Cons: "a little expensive, but worth every penny!"

"For a hybrid plug-in this car really moves. Responsive and good road feel. The fit and finish is second to none, and the technology is fantastic. To those that say the on-board systems are too confusing I say: get into the current century, this type of technology is here to stay. Although the C-Max is ahead of its time, all cars will soon have such features. The purchase price is a little high, but the value is even higher."

Best Plugin Hybrid; Delivers advertised mpg.

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "awesome gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "It's turned me into a electric car freak. :("

"The Energi; What a fun car to drive; great commuting car as well as trips. I haven't driven it aggressively yet, but for normal commuting am getting 47mpg at 62mph and 45mpg at 65 mph, and I have a challenging, hilly commute. I do think the gas mileage will go down to, gasp, the 30s with hard driving. It really shines in rush hour traffic. It's very quiet; great visibility. I really like the sync system. However, I loved the idrive in my beemers. I am puzzled by the complaints about the gas mileage. I got over 51mpg the other day in a somewhat flat stretch of freeway in 30 minutes of driving. I really really wanted to like the volt, but I found the low ceiling and rather cramped interior too depressing, and found it boring to drive."

awesome vehicle

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "fantastic mpg"

"I traded in my Prius to get this car and made a great decision in doing so. My MPGe is 167.6 and my overall MPG is 188.4. I drive 94% EV with a driving score of 94 and a braking score of 97. I expect a dramatic decrease in MPG with Winter beginning soon. The driving experience is excellent. It is very comfortable. The quality and features of the car are superb. Voice commands work excellent and comprehensive. There have been 2 recalls already and both were fixed. I have not been able to determine reliability due to low miles, but after 3,700 mile miles I still get 28 EV miles per charge in the city. Using cruise control ups one's efficiency a lot. I only charge 7 KWH for a completely depleted battery and it takes 5 hours to charge all the way up. This car blows the doors off my Prius in every category and it is much greener. Driving my Prius 3,700 miles would have produced 2 tons more CO2 emitted and used 52 more gallons of gas according to MyFordMobile's software calculations. I log on to my computer and get detailed reports about my driving effciency and energy usage via a sattelite link up with my car. I also control charging from my computer or smart phone. The overall experience gives one complete control over how green one drives. Even how well you have been braking. This car is night and day better than my 3 previous Prius'. The reviewer who thinks a Prius Plug In is cheaper than an Energi did not shop in my neighborhood. And the Energi has 2 to 3 times the EV range."

Better mpg than the Prius!

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "great price at Lithia Ford of Boise"

"My girlfriend and bought two Cmax-a SEL and an Energi. She is getting an average of 47mpg, while so far the energi is at an amazing 67.5 combined!! We replaced a Kia and a Caravan, and are very happy with the decision. I have had two people over 6 feet in the back with plenty of room."

Best car in 40+ years of driving

By on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Pros: "Fun and economical to drive"

Cons: "not as much storage space as I would like."

"The Energi has consistently delivered in the high 5oMPG range. It is very comfortable and handles well. It has a lot of features and requires some rethinking for older drivers- but it's worth it. A good friend purchased a Prius V about the same time and we have done a lot of A B comparisons--The CMax Energi wins."

I'm 6'4" tall 330 lbs with back surgery. love it!

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "Great car, fun to drive, g/mpg easy to ent/exit"

Cons: "Navigation needs lots of work."

"This is the best car I have tried for getting in and out of, never mind the great gas/elect. mileage. Have had it 1751 miles now and have gotten up to 79 mpg in it. We do both local and distance driving. wish there were elect/refueling stations everywhere..would get even better. love the styling as I can see everything out the windows being tall etc. Very comfortable fun to drive! Only thing I'm not happy about is Ford's Sync. and the Navigation. I am orig. from so.calif so shouldn't have an "accent" problem, don't know why it wont understand us? Also it takes me in totally wrong directions sometimes? Does this happen to anyone else?"

Beware of Oil Maintenance Mode

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Nice Car with goo features"

Cons: "Paid for EV but so far can't even get Hybrid MPG"

"At 111 miles the car went into Oil Maintenance Mode which is documented in the owners manual but not discussed anywhere else except user forums. The issue is this mode runs the gas engine continuously. My new Energi has been in that mode now for 4 days and according to my Ford Service Manager it is acting as designed. Numerous reports from current owners report similar experiences. One owner claiming it took two tanks of gas before his went back to EV mode and another claiming it took a long trip to resolve. Owners manual says this can happen whenever the computer decides it should. I just know I now have as many gas miles as EV and still in Oil Maintenance Mode"

Don't Miss My BMW

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Efficiency, comfort, safety, technology pkg,"

Cons: "A bit frumpy looking."

"Have "owned them all" over 50 plus years of driving(Fiat to BMW, and even Corvair). Most comfortable, quietest, and fuel efficient of the lot. No prob with the tech system. 8K miles already. Drove 1500 miles from FL to upstate NY at 70mph plus. Still got 40 plus mpg. Car made in America, owner's manual written in Bangladesh...I assume. Consumer's Report questions reliability, but not sure how they can,as model is not a year old."

9.5/10 --almost best vehicle

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, enviroment friendly, save $$/time"

Cons: "less electric miles when extreme cold, open wheels"

"Had for 8 months & daily commute 18miles on hilly,gravel roads in midwest,extreme cold limits the only electric miles to 15-17,but handles well in snow and slick mud.I got full commute on electric until Nov,use of heater reduces electric miles.Bought it for work but can go anywhere with gas.Longer trips got 36-43mpg--cruise improves mileage.Only have filled with gas 3 times-for longer trips,otherwise just electric, full charge in 6hrs. Handles great,lots of bells and whistles,serviced only once-routine,CON-open wheels catch gravel&mud. I can't wait until the solar panel version is out, then I would rate it a 9.9!"

No Problems, 95+MPG and Fun to Drive

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "Better handling & mileage than Prius"

Cons: "SYNC navigation & voice commands not great"

"My beloved Honda Minivan passed away, and I got the C-Max Energi. Like the reviews all say, it handles really well, looks quite good and has a really nice interior. Not thrilled with SYNC's navigation and the battery pack takes away from the hatchback storage, but otherwise I love everything. I commute to work about 7 miles each way, and so hardly use gas at all: I've filled the tank 6 times in 6000 miles, and average 95 mpg overall, saving me $1350 in gas since 6/1/13 (this includes trips from San Fran to San Jose, Santa Rosa, etc.). With the federal incentives, it actually costs less than the regular hybrid C-Max, which makes it a great deal. Since there's no "range anxiety," I'm considering getting another in Ruby."

NO START ISSUES

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, quite, fun to drive"

Cons: "Repair problem, diminished rear storage Li battery"

"On 6 different occasions the car could not be started and was serviced. On at least 3 times the 12V battery had to be replaced. On consultation with Ford Technicians, various components were replaced, the software was upgraded and the most recent time the service department found no faults. There appears to be some TSB's related to this problem. Fortunately, in NJ there is a lemon law to protect the buyer. However, I am in negotiation to replace the one year old vehicle without going to the NJ Lemon Law course. This problem aside, we found the CMAX Energi to be a very solid and worthwhile driving experience. With charging of the Li battery, our overall economy has been 46 mpg. Unlike other hybrids, it can run in electric motor only mode up to 55-60 mph and it runs very well in standard hybrid mode. The Ackerson cycle gasoline engine requires an effective electric motor to produce a favorable acceleration."

love it

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "great tech, good price, virually no gas used!"

Cons: "never stop at a gas station i go thristy alot now"

"love this vehicle, i am currently getting 171 MPG i am going to start calculating my Miles per Month instead of miles per gallon, i am on track to need a new tank of gas some time near christmas! I purchased in March 2014"

Listed as the cheapest plug in BUT Toyota is less

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

I don't own this car

"Toyota is offering 4650 cash back...."

See if you qualify for