• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2014 FIAT 500c Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,920 - $19,515.

10/7.0

8.4

Based on 112 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Fiat: The Little Car that Can…

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, Fun, Easy to do your own maintenance"

Cons: "Othe drivers don't like to be behind a Fiat"

"It has been almost 2 and half years since purchasing my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop. So far, the capabilities have been impressive and including the value for the money and how easy it is to find parking, due to its small stature. Unlike other small cars that I have driven that felt as if I was riding on top of a noisy beehive when cruising the highway, that is not the case for the Fiat, engine noise is minimal and so is road noise if the surface is smooth. The features of the Fiat are impressive. The last new car I purchased was my wife’s “luxury car” in 2005 without blue tooth, 3.5mm audio jack, tire pressure monitor, a USB port that can be used to charge a phone, manipulate your portable music player with steering wheel mounted controls or plug in a thumb drive to record and monitor the efficiency of your driving habits. That was all included in the base model, no extra options added, and speaking of value, the price I paid for the Fiat new is almost three thousand dollars more than what I have spent in the total repairs and maintenance of my wife’s “luxury automobile” since 2005. Economy is better than predicted by the EPA; my daily commute average has been 38.6 mpg (according to the Eco Dirve data I download on a regular basis by inserting a USB “Thumb-Drive” in to the USB Port in the dash, which can also be used to play music or charge a cell-phone). On a 175-mile road trip to visit family, the Fiat averaged 38.8 miles per gallon and despite the small 1.4-liter engine; I was able to make it up some steep mountains at highway speeds, requiring downshifting into fourth gear when the speed dropped below 70 mph (about 2,900 rpm). There are many things the car can do, get me around comfortably, (I'm 6’1”) when driving by myself, and if necessary I can carry a real person behind me at the expense of some comfort (only two, the Fiat is a four seater). The fun factor with the manual transmission makes this car a joy to drive, I don’t care to go fast in a straight line, but going around corners and down shifting into second gear pulling the car around the corners has been, to put it mildly, fun and assuring that this car is sure footed and nimble. After a couple of years of driving the base Fiat, I can only think of three things that I can say negatively about the car. First, do not plan to win any drag races with the Fiat, unless you are racing against a hybrid or another smaller and less capable car. Secondly, road noise is pervasive on rough roads. Finally, my last complaint are the other drivers who do not like to be passed by a Fiat (even when I’m doing the speed limit!) and will speed up to pass you. I say to them “don’t be crass, this little capable car can really go this fast.”"

LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "Everything. This is a great car."

Cons: "None, really."

"It's zippy, it's reliable, and I can park ANYWHERE. The design is spectacular, everything is within reach and easily visible. Very fuel efficient, as well. I haven't had any issues with this car, despite others telling me it's a bad car or I shouldn't have bought it. I couldn't be happier. It's really fun to drive, easy to shift, and steering is a charm. It handles very well. There are only a couple things I would change, and those are very minor. i would have the windshield wipers be more of a variable speed, and I would add a mirror to the passenger visor. That's really it. It's tiny, so the noise is louder than other cars, but it's also lighter. So there is the tradeoff. If you like small cars and being able to park anywhere, definitely consider this Fiat."

DO NOT BUY A FIAT!

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun"

Cons: "Horrible quality that ruins the fun"

"Here's my story: I just graduated from college and got a nice job, and I wanted a nice car to reward myself after 4 long and hard years in college. I thought a Fiat 500 Abarth was perfect - I don't need a ton of space, I wanted a car that was fuel efficient and fun. So I bought a 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth - fully loaded - in June 2014. And it is fuel efficient and fun. By the end of July I noticed the side skirts were coming unglued and there was a funky noise in the door when I was driving, and when I shut the door with the window partially open. I took to the dealership - fixed! Not quite, the door still made noise when I was driving, the window started ticking, the dealership still had to order and install the side skirts, also new noises developed in the rear of the car, the sunroof, and the dash. I took a few weeks after that first repair - when the side skirts were ready to be installed - and mentioned the new noises along with the stuff that needed to be fixed a second time. They said it was fixed, and it was for about 10 miles - then all the problems reappeared. The new side skirts were coming un-glued, the noises in the door and window were back, noises in the rear of the car, noises in the sunroof, and now water in the taillights - yay! Took it back to the dealership, they found that the rear seat frame was crooked (takes care of the noise coming from the rear), the taillights were replaced, they used foam tape to fix the noise in the dash, the screws that held the window were loose, the glass was replaced a second time, the side skirts were re-glued, the sunroof was re-aligned, and they found that the water shield inside the door was missing! They took 16 days to fix (got to drive a nice rental that smelled like a garbage truck), and I picked it up last week. Now the taillights still have moisture in them, there is a new noise coming from the a-pillar (yay!), and the original noise from when I shut the door is back. Please, please, please go buy yourself a Toyota or something else with quality. You may be bored, but you won't have $30,000 of regret in your garage."

Great car with lots of personality

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good gas mileage, personality, style"

Cons: "Could be better MPG's highway, needs 6th gear."

"I was tired of the expense of sports cars and wanted something with personality if I was going to get an economy car. My wife hated the Abarth and I hated the seats in it. The naturally asperated models had too little horsepower. The 500T was brand new and they just got their first two on the lot. The only option I don't have on it is a sunroof. I love the car! I get between 28 and 30 mpg in the city and in the low 30's on the highway (although the mid 30's can be achieved if you don't mind staying around 65). The car is surprisingly comfortable, the Beats audio sounds good, and it is a blast to drive. You can buy other cars cheaper, but none have the personality of the FIAT. Also, you will get lots of questions about it and lots of lookers. Especially with me being 6'2", 230 lbs. The Abarth is known for it's exhaust, but the Turbo has a great sounding exhaust also. It is aggressive without being as loud as the Abarth. The only complaints I have are that I wish it had a limited slip differential because it is easy to make the traction control flash when given gas while cornering somewhat aggressively (inside wheel wants to spin), that it could stream music via Bluetooth (fixed for 2015), and I wish it had a telescoping steering wheel, and the factory navigation is such an after thought (and not worth the extra cost). Otherwise I love it and it is one of my most favorite cars I've owned. And that is coming from a string of cars that cost twice as much. Oh, the 5 speed is fine for around town, but seems a bit low for highway. And I still look for 6th occasionally after 27,000 miles. Oh, and we had heavy snow (for NC) and the car went everywhere I wanted it to without any problems. Even around stuck cars."

Fun to drive and good mileage.

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: ". Sounds great. Gas miileage. Fun ."

Cons: "no local dealer. handles quirky at times."

"The Fiat gets a lot of attention wherever you go. It is fun to drive although it can feel a little unsettled when first entering a curve aggressively, but it holds well once planted. It sounds great and makes you feel like you are going faster than you are. I can get 43 MPG on highway if i keep it at 60 MPH or I can get 25 MPG when driven hard in Sport Turbo mode around town.. I average 30 MPG and normally get 38 MPG on highway trips. The white wheels are impossible to keep clean. I sometimes wash them everyday."