1996 Dodge Stratus

6.9

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1995 - 2000 models.

7.5/10
    7.3/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10

Me likey!

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"My wife bought it when new when we were dating because I would not let her buy a minivan. She complied, so I married her. Other than a faulty AC hose when newish, and a total auto trans failure ($2000 at 60K miles), this car has been very solid. The autostick trans is great. MPG is good with the 2.5 L V-6 (25+). I do most maint on car myself, and it is simple, but for the rear 3 plugs (must remove intake manifold). Handles terrifically. I removed the plastic factory front shock tower installation guides (white) and pushed the towers fully inwards to maximize camber. This helped with the tendency for outsides of front tires to wear prematurely, as well as increasing the cornering G limit. DO THIS YOURSELF WITH CAR ON JACKS! I would not mind another 40 HP like the next generation Stratus has, but then the MPG would suffer. It is no slouch, though, especially if you use the autostick and keep revs where you want them (3000+). I have 100K miles on it, and have experienced minimal brake pad/rotor wear. Doesn't burn oil excessively. I would reduce interval for changing coolant though, as it comes out WAY ROTTEN if you wait till the recommended intervals. The leather seats have not held up at all, but the paint has done great. No other simple problems with car. I intend to keep car until it drops, but I may reconsider depending on if/when trans dies again."

loved this car till she broke

By on Friday, February 8, 2013

Pros: "good mpg, comfort, (was) reliable, zippy drive"

Cons: "small-not well placed cup holders"

"I got this car for $200 from my best friend. replaced the hood 'cause she had hit a deer, everything else was fine. bought this car at 160,000 miles and she now has 216,500. this car was comfortable, reliable, fast, great handling, easy to get my 2 1/2 year old in and out of the back. rear driver door handle broke, and the rear passenger handle close to it. recently while driving it, it just dies, the rpm's just go down, still has power to everything else, and when almost to a stop it just sputters out. taken to a mechanic, he can't figure it out even with the diagnostic tool, replaced the o2 sensor, because the diagnostic tool said that was the problem, still had the same issue. i absolutely love this car, and i am sorry to see her in such bad shape."

good looking and dependable.great gas milage

By on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pros: "33 MILES TO THE GAL.GOOD PICK UP.NICE LOOKING."

Cons: "NO ASHTRAY"

"BOUGHT THIS CAR AT AUCTION FOR $700.00,PUT $1000.00 INTO IT AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER.GREAT ON GAS,NICE LOOKING,RUNS GREAT, CHEEP TO REGISTER.WILL BABY IT AND TRY TO GET ANOTHER 100,000 MILES.YA BABY I LOVE THIS CAR"

This car has never left me stranded

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "poor cupholders"

"I have owned my 2000 dodge stratus since 2003. I got it when it had 42,000 miles on it, it now has about 105,000. It runs great, I never had any issues with it breaking down on me. There was a few things I had to replace in the car, hoses, struts, timing belt but that was normal tear and wear. The only few gripes that I have with it is that 1. the cup holders are useless 2. my cigarette lighter stopped working (can not charge my phone) tried changing the fuse, did not work and 3. sometimes my music "hiccups". But I hope the next time I buy a car it will be as solid as this one is."

BEWARE

By on Sunday, October 25, 2009

"I've owned this car for about a year now, and my sister owned it for 5 years before me. It's only got 150K and I can't take this car anywhere without expecting to break down. If I go more than ten miles with it, the transmission will not shift past first gear, and the transmission has been replaced numerous times. The tachometer works when it wants to, everything electrical will quit when it feels like it, (heat, radio, windows etc.) Every inch of the lower car has rust on it, im suprised the hood is still attached with the amount of rust it has. The two back doors will fly open, my friends just love that. Save yourself the embaressment and dont get this vehicle."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Dodge Stratus near Honolulu. See local deals