2008 Dodge Magnum

Based on 528 Ratings for the 2005 - 2008 models.

Excellent vehicle - low maintenance requirements

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"I moved from a 1996 Impala SS to this vehicle before I proposed - myself having two dogs and my (now wife) with a son, I needed something with more room than my Impala and I didn't want a van of any sort quite yet. I've put > 90,000 miles over the past three and a half years on this car. It's never left me stranded and I've never thought 'I shouldn't have purchased this car'. While it's still my daily driver, it's no longer a family hauler as of early last year. (That duty has fallen to our 2011 Honda Odyssey). I have had a couple of maintenance items. Replaced plugs at 140,000. The rear diff started to fail at 151,000 miles. Front rotors were replaced at 155,000. Front drivers wheel hub was replaced somewhere in there as well. A set of tires lasts about two years (but I go a bit longer than I should on them). Overall, parts are reasonable. Over the past 50,000 miles I've averaged 18.5 MPG with an average fuel price of 3.55/gal. (I'm missing a couple of months of data, but from 1/2012 to 2/2014) Mine came with Option I and II equipment and I wound up replacing the factory NAV (never had issues with it, but the cost to update the maps was half the cost of a new head unit!) with aftermarket and sold off the kicker sub. With heavy base hits and the stock kicker, there was a nasty rattle. I've not put another sub in the car since. The interior door panels look a little cheap for what initially sold as a >$40,000 car but after a while that aspect is no longer noticed. Otherwise, the interior of the vehicle is nice. I enjoy the SRT seats. Driving is a pleasure. The only complaint is the traction control can be quite intrusive. If you're used to a little wheel spin as you leave a stop (such as aggressive merging with traffic), you'd be in for a surprise. Likewise, if you leave traction control off, you need to be an attentive drive with hard acceleration - it can still kick the rear out at 50 MPH if you nail it. Quite a few people gave me some ribbing when I bought the Magnum. 'You bought a station wagon man!'. Sure. But it's a 425 HP 430 ft/lb station wagon that'll give a vast majority of other cars on the road a run for their money. Plus haul yourself, wife, son, two dogs (combined 160 lbs), and other required items for a weekend travel. And get from a stop to 60 in less than 6 seconds. Of course it's just over 6 seconds with everyone in the car. :)"

No trouble, No problem!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Great drive...not a sports car and not a truck."

"I purchased this Dodge Magnum new. It has been a dependable, low maintenance, very good gas mileage, convenient and comfortable auto. Good excelleration, good brakes, excellent turning radius, and smooth cruise control. I do not like the cruise lever location; difficult to see when driving. Good for a short driver because of the raising of the gas peddle. Head room for big/tall men. All seats, excluding driver's seat, lower to bed level for transporting merchandise/purchases/ luggage."

My opinion of the Magnum

By on Monday, May 05, 2008

"I own a 2005 Dodge Magnum SE, I bought the car new in 2005. Overall it has been a great car, with over 50,000 miles I've never had to have any work done on it other then than scheduled work (oil and other fluid changes). I chose the SE model for the gas milage, I drive 100 miles round trip to and from work everyday, and am averaging around 25 miles to the gallon, so it delivers on mileage. I wish the car had just a little more pep, 2.7 liters aren't really enough to power that large of a vehicle from a stop, although on the highway I have no trouble passing. I added several option to the SE model including power, leather seats and a panoramic moon roof. With the orignal tires still on the vehicle it didn't preform well in rain or snow, but when I put a better tire on the car the preformance inproved greatly. It's large, and comfortable with plenty of room for five adults, and it delivers a fairly smooth and comfortable ride. The car handles well, and offers several features that are unique to Chrystler, like the "lane changing blinker", which turn the blinker on for a few second with just a touch from the driver, and well as an automatic rain sensing wiendshield the turn the wipers on for you. I've owned several vehicels with heftier price tags than the Magnum, but never one the managed to stay out of the shop for three years! I still get compliments on the looks of the car whenever it is parked. I'd recomend this car to anyone who needs a stylish "people mover"."

do not buy a 05 Magnum

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Have had the car to the dealer many times to have several electrical problems fixed - wipers, headlight switch, rear window (I have had some of these things done multiple times) The check engine light keeps coming on with misfires. Car runs rough. Now dealer won't help me because I am out of the 3 year warranty by 3 months (car only has 22,000 miles on it) Very disappointed in the quality of this car. I love the way it looks, but can't trust it to last too long."

Great Vehicle High Up Keep

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"I got this vehicle in 2005 it has the works! DVD navigation, V8 HEMI with all wheel drive. Handles great in snow and rain, beautiful interior all leather with plenty of room to store items. Add to that 19+ chrome wheel and this wagon becomes a POWER WAGON! :) For what it is I enjoy having this vehicle. However, I have had to also deal with the quirks such as 1 year into owning the vehicle the entire transmission self destructed (luckily it is under warranty) after that no major problems have occurred. The V8 engine has strong torque and pulling power. But you pay for it at the pump. On average I get 15/mpg city and that is driving with a light foot. On the freeway it is much better as the V8 uses displacement to disable 4 cylinders making it a V4 producing on average of 20 to 24/mpg freeway. This results is a standard cost of $50 to $80 every two weeks or about $100 to $160 dollar in gas per month with an assumed price of $3/gallon. Sadly American made vehicles have horrible resell value. The asking price for the vehicle in 2005 was much higher than the depreciated value of the vehicle now, in three years the value of the vehicle went from $40k down to $25k! (paying large loan payments every month reduced the loan amount to $29k but the value of the vehicle dropped faster than the loan amount remaining. Right now the loan to value difference of over $6k!) So reselling the vehicle can be challenging and most dealers will give you only 25% of the value of the vehicle. So if monthly gas costs and not having a viable resell option don't matter to you this vehicle is right for you."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Dodge Magnum near Honolulu. See local deals