• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,866 - $20,291.

10/6.4

6.9

Based on 345 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.2/10
    7.1/10

Great Value for the Money

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Pros:Excellent Ride Quality, Storage Options"

Cons: "Cons:Third row seating cramped, city mpg subpar"

"Have had my 2014 Journey for a month and am very pleased so far. Auto critics have groused about the 2.4L engine, but it suits the needs of average drivers fine. Love all the storage options and the dashboard layout. Those who are looking for adult third row seating need to look elsewhere, however. and city mileage is not great ( I drive 65/35 highway however, so my mpg experience has been fine-25.0 combined)."

Worst car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "third row seat, blue tooth, sirrus radio"

Cons: "bad on tires, very little storage in rear"

"I have had nothing but issues with this car from day one. Had to have new tires replaced at 12,000 and 22,000 miles. Even though we are told the car is 100% aligned it constantly pulls to the left when you are driving. A lot of road noise as well and is a gas guzzler."

Get's the job done, but that's about it.

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Third Row, Compact, A/C and Heat, Acceleration"

Cons: "Automatic AWD, First Model Year (many issues)"

"Quick Background: I bought this car looking for a family size vehicle with a third row and all-wheel drive (for winter since I live in the northeast). This was my first family car purchase and my goal was to stay away from minivan's and get a third row on a budget. I bought this car used at 50,000 miles and paid WAY to much for it (first time buying from a car dealership). It has had multiple issues since purchased and as such I have had to replace all four rotors (they were warped), all four brake pads (burnt out), the coolant tank (it cracked), and a fuel-related pump. I have also had to replace the front ball-joints which is a known issue for basically all Chrysler-based cars so I can't exactly count that against this car specifically. I have also had multiple tire issues (flat's, slow leaks) but that's really Kumho's fault so I can't completely blame Dodge. What I didn't realize when I got this car is that it has "automatic" AWD. This means there is no way to manually turn on the AWD, basically rendering the AWD useless unless the car is stuck in a snowbank. My advice from this: stay away from ANY automatic AWD cars, make sure you can manually turn it on before purchasing. I also didn't realize this was the first year Dodge introduced the Journey model. My advice from this: stay away from cars in their first (maybe even second) model year. Now that that's out of the way here's some things I liked about this car. Having a third row is really handy if you happen to have a third child (it just so happened to me). Because of child car seats, we actually have one seat up in the third row and the other down so we can load one child in through the trunk. It's not much fun, but it works. There's a good amount of storage even though it is a compact SUV. Speaking of which, being fairly compact is also handy when dealing with parking and such. Basically this car is good at getting my family from point A to point B but past that it's not much to get excited about."

LOVE this car.

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "bearly any cargo space with using 3rd row seating"

"I love this car. I have owned a used 2009 and traded in for a new 2013. I am short and the car fits me perfectly. I am not a mini van kind of mom but do wish I had more cargo space when back row is being used. Thats the only reason why I regret not buying a caravan. My 2009 had an electrical plug but not my 2013, which would have be nice."

Excellent Vehicle for Road Trips.

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Excellent Handling and Engine Power"

"This vehicle went beyond our expectations, we took a road trip this summer from Texas to Illinois back down to Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and back to Texas. We covered 11 states and drove about 3500 miles. We also went from 0 Feet above see level to above 6500 above sea level. In regards to performance we did no have an issue, it managed to keep a smooth and fast ride up hill and lots of power going up the Smokey Mountains. It does have lots of power and allows you to get out of a Jam when you need to punch the gas. We have 2 children a 10 year old and a 6 year old and they managed to have enough space to carry all their gear in the back seat. The cargo bins in front of the rear seats came in handy to keep all DVD movies and our kids gear , we also used one of them as a cooler and managed to keep all of their snacks handy. Cargo area was big enough to carry 8 pieces of luggage and all souvenirs accumulated on our 2 week vacation. Nice Journey Dodge!"

Almost a 10! NOT ONE RECALL! No 4 Cyl here !

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Get the 6Cyl for speed when U need it! I did! :)"

Cons: "Nothing major, just a few improvements needed!"

"Pros: The seats are quite comfortable for long trips, beyond comparison! No 'tin can' feeling on the road. The outer color of 'storm gray' reduces all glare in hot terrain. The size of the moon/sun roof is surprisingly large and controls are quiet. The tire traction and front-end suspension do their jobs very, very well, for a real smooth ride. The backup camera is a nice feature. The on screen hands-free calling and sound system controls are safe and handy while driving. The options for door locks and so much more adds value. The interior leather is high quality and stands up to 'people' quite nicely. The added carpet overlays are great preservers. The factory tires are much better quality than I expected. I love how the 'vehicle info' gives so much detailed information on the engine. I know what is going on for a change! Engine hours is a great reality check too. The Sirius XM is for FREE, year one!(It should be for two years on a new car)! I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, but this one is certainly the most versatile I have had. I like to buy things that take a truck, but I don't really need one 95% of the time with this vehicle. I'm still finding things out about my car. It is definitely equipped with some great features! Cons: The side view mirrors control needs updating with more range of motion for short people, so the rear mirror is not too far out of range to see properly. There needs to be larger/more AC vents. The driver seat needs to have truly separate positioning control patterns. (Why are all the visors so ridiculously little, and not just on this car?) The lumbar support is not 'as' adjustable as it should be. The carpeting on/in the cargo area is so thin, it is sadly very substandard. The speaker system could be much, much better for the price. Factory wipers are in need of higher quality and better functioning. The backup camera does not need to beep when vehicle has stopped. Dodge should provide new car buyers with a good leather conditioner for the seating,w/ gloves to maintain it. With the warming seats and steering wheel, the directions for maintaining these needs to be emphasized for warranty's sake. The windows could be tinted a bit darker, legally. If Dodge included a step ladder to reach the roof for cleaning, that would be awesome!"

great vehicle!

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "a very nice ride"

"This car is in great shape, a complete detail would make it an excellent car. It has the 3rd seating and heat and a/c for all 3 rows of seating. It has the DVD capability but does not have the video monitors. It is low mileage and one owner with a clean title in hand. I love the vehicle but am usually the only one in it, it would be a great family car!"

chryslers best kept secret

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "love the versitilaty of interior"

Cons: "poor dash layout"

"great car fun to drive and decent mpg"

Love the car. Hate the transmission.

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "Nice car. Great on flat terrain."

Cons: "Transmission needs better engineering."

"Live in Michigan. Drove to the Jersey shore through the Pa. hill country. Cruse control would drop 3 miles per hour climbing hills until a jarring down shift kicked in, then would go back to where it was set. This transmission is poorly engineered. I have never owned a car that had a worse transmission. All that being said, the rest of the car is great. By the way, it is the V6 engine with gobs of power."

Awesome vehicle for Lg family and taking road trip

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "handles great on highway comfortable ride ,video"

"awesome"

could use more room behind third seat

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "good highway milage"

Cons: "average local milage, no entrance /exit handles on"

"works great for us and our 4 grandchildren but has little storage space behind 3rd row seating"

Best SUV I have ever driven!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Best bang for the buck under 30K."

Cons: "Third row a litytle small."

"After my last 2 vehicles were Jeep SUV's, I decided to go with the 2014 Dodge Journey Crossroad Edition which is loaded with options. We love this thing! Have yet to find any negatives."

Love it!

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "the gadgets"

Cons: "if you have a car seat, blocks rear view"

"I've only had it for a couple days. My first new car and I love it! Honestly, my one and only main complaint is the new car smell! It's giving me a headache. I drove a 2004 Taurus that I traded in, on a serious note, with a car seat in the backseat, it blocks my view. Literally the whole middle of the rear view. I have the red with black interior. Love it!"

Very reliable transportation. New Tires.

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price. Excellent transportation."

Cons: "No Keyless Entry. No autopilot."

"This is a typical reliable car with low mileage driven by a senior."

Great car. Love the ride and the view.

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"Good gas mileage, lots of room, versatile as seat all fold down. Great color, red with black interior. New trailer hitch with brakes installed and ready to go."

Great vehicle and very reliable

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "Very Good Vehicle"

Cons: "fuel economy about 23 hwy wish it were better but"

"Very Good Vehicle have had it a year and No Problems at all !!!!!!"

Went from the Dakota to the Journey and love it

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Driving performance, room/storage, comfort"

Cons: "color selection, no floor mats"

"SE model... I enjoy the blue-tooth, radio-controls on the steering wheel, the seat comfort, extra storage, and the horse-power (V6). It has as much length for hauling as my Dakota did but drives more like a car with tremendous better gas mileage."

Love this Journey so far...6 months.

By on Sunday, June 01, 2014

"I have the 2014 SXT Black Top Edition in all Black. I think it is super sharp and have had no trouble with it at all."

My First Dodge - Journey 2012 SE

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "As Above"

Cons: "as above"

"Compared to prior years' Dodge products this one is much improved in terms of fit and finish. Beautiful inside and out and quality materials, great sound system, reliable, affordable for a 7-seater and no problems at all. My only gripe is that I unknowingly purchased the 4 cylinder instead of the 6 cylinder and the gas mileage is just acceptable. I got better mileage out of my 2009 VW Routan and it had a 3.8L V6 engine. Back seat too small for kids over 6."

Great car for the money

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Easy to see out of."

Cons: "Should have more standard feature"

"Very pleased with the Journey. It is my wife's car and she likes it because she can see out of it. Good gas mileage on the highway 26-28 mpg and about 21-22 mpg in town. This Journey has the 4cyl offered and has all the power we need. Wife did not like the 6cyl. It had too much power for her. Fit & trim are very good. Seats are comfortable & fit my body. I would suggest either tinted windows or have them tinted. Makes a lot of difference. Overall very pleased"

Best automobile I have ever owned!!!!!!

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "Absolutel Beautiful Auto."

"I am impressed that this auto drives, rides, and handles better than a Cadillac vehicle of the same category."

Great value for the money

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Perfect car for families; rides nice"

Cons: "The seats are light gray that get dirty easily"

"We wanted a crossover for our young family & this has been perfect for our needs. We have 3rd row seating which is great for friends. We haven't had any mechanical problems w/ this car & we've owned it for 5 years. A plastic pin broke on the child view mirror & they fixed it for free in 5 min. Rides nice. Good little car."

nothing but problems with this car

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "great looking family car"

Cons: "brakes, electric issues weird size tires, overheat"

"I have only owned this car since August 2013 and I have spent a lot of money getting it fixed besides my extended warranty place covering over $2000 in repairs."

Liked the car

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "goof mileage - loved extras"

"Liked the car but think i can get a new Journey now for great financing and a real nice price - lower my payments"

No problems - nice vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Great price - good power"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Have owned the Journey for approx 4 years. Over 70,000 miles, have not had any issues. Main family care - take it everywhere."