2012 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 392 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

"I own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD that has been nothing less than miraculous. I heard a lot of horror stories about the Journey but I got a price I couldn't pass up. The most "unreliable"vehicle now is approaching 100000 miles without any signs of stopping. I have had ZERO problems with it including the brakes. The 3.5 still runs like new and never uses a drop of oil. The A/C still blows Ice Cold and there is absolutely no squeeks or rattles to be heard. The AWD system is excellent, the week I bought it I drove through a nasty blizzard; when traffic came to a standstill, nobody could make it up a very steep hill. I attempted to climb the hill and the Journey kept digging and I was one of four cars to make it to the top (A Subaru, Grand Cherokee, and a Pacifica.) I average 22 mpg which I find acceptable. My new job will require me to do even more driving (60000 a year) and I will probably be buying a new car. The Journey is staying with me as well, I plan on keeping it until it dies. I will be buying a new Durango within the next 6 months. I've had very good luck with Chrysler products and they have won a customer for life."

great little car!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "nice ride"

Cons: "cup holders alittle low"

"I take this car to alot of football games and love the room with back seat down. Got the car loaded and I don't have the highway noise!"

Solid Vehicle for the price

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Pros: "Lots of storage and seating."

Cons: "V-6 Engine is a bit underpowered but not terrible."

"Overall a quality vehicle. It looks nice, drives well, the suspension is fairly solid but the V-6 engine is a bit underpowered. I couldn't imagine having the 4 cylinder in it. Tons of storage and having the rear climate control is a must if you have kids."

By on Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Love the Journey,it has so many great features and the comfort is great. The all wheel drive works great. The tires that came on the Journey to the best of my knowlege are the only tires made that size and they are fine for most conditions but I would like something a little more aggressive for deeper snow. The only problem I can find is the front rotors dont hold up very well. I know two others and myself that had front brake problems between 12k and 15k miles. aside from the front brakes this is a fantastic vehicle and I would recommend it to anyone. Mine is a V-6 AWD ."

Love It!

By on Monday, May 31, 2010

"I bought my Journey a year ago and love it. We live in the country and were unable to get out of our driveway in the past when we got snow unless it was plowed. This past year my AWD Journey made it right out. I am extremely happy with the vehicle, I use synthetic oil in it and get 20 mpg city and 23.5 highway. I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I am dissatisfied with is the interior lights. I have UConnect and as a result halogen lights are required and they do not illuminate the vehicle very well. Also there are floor lights that I find to be very annoying when driving at night. (I am unable to shut these off unless I want the dash to be dimmed.)"

By on Thursday, March 04, 2010

"This car is an absolute joy to drive. The power of the 3.5L engine is wonderful! The car is comfy to sit in. Better interior would be appreciated, but looking at all the competitors everyone uses too much hard plastic. Great ground clearance. Only went to a dealer to have the oil changed, everything else is solid and well built."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Great Value"

"This car is great for a family and driving kids around. With the third row seat it is very versatile. Good power and decent gas mileage."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "room and many little storage areas inside"

Cons: "the very back does not have the room of a mini van"

"I think that this is a great car, a great buy and it gives you a lot of room if you have a big family without looking like you are in a minivan. It has many extra feature to hide things and even in the back you really don't feel cramped. I was pleasantly surprised. I was all set to purchase a Toyota Highlander and the Dodge Journey won me over and was much cheaper."

Nothing comes close

By on Friday, January 07, 2011

"We love our Journey SXT. This car meets or beats every one in this class. This is definitely aimed at every age. The ride is much better than the new Chevy Equinox. All the little touches make it the best car we have ever owned."

By on Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Ours is the R/T model with most options. The ride is great. I can drive it for hours & not get sleepy as with all other vechicles I've owned. I attribute that to the seat design. This baby is all wheel drive and it gets 24 to 26 MPG on the highway. Yes a lot of the interior trim is plastic but so is most other brands. We have the leather seats. Don't get the 3rd row seat model unless you have small children. It is a small seating area."

Not happy

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"The most troublesome factor is the upholstery fabric, have already had front and back replaced. Even water leaves stains even after Scotchgard. Labeling over key slot is coming off. The soda can cooler is a joke, I had 2 cans of pop explode in there. I miss a digital compass and keyless entry remote. We have had lots of Dodges, but I will not purchase a Journey again."

good but had to go

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"did not have many problems with the car , it went in the dealer for computer glitch got fixed worked better, everything was fine with the the car but it had to go resale value is not good at all paid 21,000 for sxt they only wanted to give 14,500 after only 8 months would recommend too. all and all really decent but make sure ur gonna keep it for at least 3 yrs . go for Sxt same as RT but cheaper and little less crome"

Love Our Journey SXT

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"We bought this in April to replace a Lemon 99 Taurus. And we just love every thing about it. Except my wife isn't 100% happy about the seats, she thinks they are a little to stiff. We took it on a trip to Florida from Ohio and it performed just fine for having 4 adults and 1 child plus a ton of luggage and a roof top carrier. The rear DVD came in very handy to make the back seat riders happy and the driver(me) very happy. And the back-up camera is also a very wonderful thing also. I would recommend this to everyone. The Dealership was also Great."

Very Stylish with out the mini van look

By on Sunday, July 06, 2008

"Me and my wife just got our journey and we LOVE it. It is a great car looks very sharp andhas plenty of room for our 2 kids. GREAT car.."

Best crossover ever

By on Monday, December 07, 2009

"This is the best crossover I've ever driven. We use to have a Caliber and loved it as well, but as our family grew we needed something larger and the Dodge Journey is perfect. Great handling (specially in the snowy hills of Eastern Iowa). Good gas mileage (averaged 26 mpg on two separate 2000+ mile trips). Would recommend the SXT or R/T over the SE as the larger engine comes in handy in hilly conditions."

better than minivan

By on Friday, March 27, 2009

"i bought this car for my wife, and she loves it more with every passing day. its acceleration is fenaminal and it has a much better ride than our 2007 grand caravan. the only complaint i have is the center counsil where the raidio is, i'm 6'5" and my knee sterts to hurt after a long drive. other than that it is the best value for a cross over type car. we bought it for ten thousand less than the ford or g.m."

Love it!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Lots of car for the money, very comfortable seats!"

Cons: "Some of the plastic in the interior feels cheap."

"I love everything about this vehicle, it's so much car for the money! I most enjoy the way it drives, very smooth gear shifting, you don't even feel it. For such a large vehicle i'm pleased with the gas mileage, we get about 19mpg around town with all the stop and go. Also the seats are extremely comfortable, great for long trips! We are truly loving this vehicle and plan to keep it for a very long time!"

Don't Buy Dodge Journey

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I'll start with the positives because there are a few, but not enough to warrant a recommendation to buy. It drives nicely, it has a cool entertainment system. It's cute and has lots of fun features. It is quiet and has get up and go. Roomy, however, 7 people do not fit comfortably despite seating for 7. Now for the bad news. The gas mileage blows and is no where near what is stated. I average 12-13 city. My sister's Tahoe gets better gas mileage. Brakes - there is a serious issue with the brakes on this vehicle. You can google it and find countless stories. I had to replace my pads and rotors at 9900 miles - yes, you read that right, less than 10k miles. Engine - I had to have the rocker assemblies replaced because they were worn. This was also done at 9900 miles. Seems a little early in the game for that kind of wear. I too hear the werid grinding noise when turning left, not sure what it is. Electrical - the power window on the passenger side never functioned properly. It stops mid-way when rolling up and you have to let go of the window controler and press it over and over to get the window full rolled up. The dash board lights turn off and back on when turning off the wiper blades. Normal according to my dealership. Interior - I have lovely piece of trim that keeps falling off. The dealership has ordered a new one. This is my first non GM vehicle and definitely my last. Very sad I bought it and very scared what repairs await me in the future. DON'T BUY!"

Very Nice Value

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, features, build quality, 3rd row"

Cons: "exterior look - more Caravan than Durango"

"The Dodge Journey is the best value in it's category. I shopped around, and the amount of features for the $$ was unbeatable with the Journey. The V6 is a phenomenal engine with great power coupled with a smooth 6 speed trans. We don't use the 3rd row often, but it is a fantastic option to have available. I was never a Dodge fan, but I have been impressed with the quality and feel of the Journey. This may seem insignificant, but I like it when i close my car door and the vehicle feels solid. We have had no reliability issues just at 1 year of owennership! I have recommended this vehicle to my friends and family and look forward to purchasing a Durango in the near future."

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

Can't stand this Vehicle

By on Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "to many to mention."

"I have had nothing but problems since the Journey was 2 years old. Most problems are not covered by warranty and I will never own another Dodge. Rotors and Brakes replaced 3 times. Parts for this Vehicle are so expensive no matter what it is."

A very comfortable multi purpose vehicle

By on Saturday, October 17, 2015

Pros: "a lot of car for the money"

Cons: "four cylinder is reliable but needs a little more"

"Love my Journey! Very comfortable multi purpose vehicle. Great for people moving or for hauling supplies & my multi media equipment. The only detractor is that my four cylinder four speed is a little sluggish. But not so much as to take away from the great value of this car. You get a lot of room, comfort and smooth road manners for not much money when compared with some others I considered."

Great car for price

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Space and a people mover"

Cons: "A little underpowered"

"I own a base model with a 4 cylinder. Great Mileage Mixed driving highway rural and some city. Car still looks like new except for recall on breaks and key fob all I had to do is put a set of tires on this vehicle and a rock pierced the radiator. Just had a trans service done as recommened and the car runs like it did the first day. 3,000 mile oil changes and two gas treatments. This car has a lot of space and can handle 4 300 pund adults with ease. I do travel ball with my daughter, Ohio, Penn,Jersey, Kentucky- never missed a beat."

What a LEMON

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "decent mpg, nice looking vehicle"

Cons: "bad brakes, misfiring cylinders, bad customer serv"

"BRAKE ISSUES and ENGINE PROBLEMS. Bought this vehicle brand new 19 months ago. It has been in the shop more than not. Chrysler’s not willing to back their product. After about a week of ownership received letter from Chrysler there was a known brake defect and they would warranty them with deductibles up to 36k miles vs 12k. At 7445 miles I had brake issues. Dealership fixed no charge. At 19653 had second brake job. At 24k more brake issue, rotor and pads replaced on front and back, $50 deductable. At 28000 miles 3rd brake job all 4 wheels, calibers hang up $100 deductable. I had the vehicle in 9x for brakes. Also engine misfire. Now there is a lifter noise. Contacted Chrysler asked for assistance. Asked to have replaced under LEMON LAW. They said wasn't a lemon, would not waive deductible for brakes. The moldings around the front doors have been replaced 3x and the overhead consol was also replaced 3x. Had a friend who bought the same vehicle one week after me. She traded hers off within the first sixt months due to the same engine problems I experienced. Reviewed various websites and found SEVERAL reviews with the same issues. Chrysler delivered a very bad product with the 2010 Journey. NOT HAPPY LOOSING MONEY, between the down payment and current trade in value, I am loosing $6000 but to put new brakes on every 7 to 13000, I will go broke. Saying good bye to Chrysler and hello to GM."

Get the bugs out.

By on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"My 09 Journey STX is 10 months on the road has 29000 miles and has been in the shop 6 times so far. The vehicle has never broken down on me but there has been many issues that are annoying and are not acceptable. Most recent was that with in 25K miles the brake pads have worn down and the pads worn uneven and even had scorn the rotter from what the service manager told me "Too Much Metal in the pads." and of course they didn't warrant it because it was a wear item. Pads never made it to the indicators but damaged rotter so expensive fix at my cost. Yea thats High Quality Mopar Parts. The AC makes a loud rattle that has yet to be fixed, there was a grinding noise from the steering and was found that the reservoir was too small after several trips in, There was a creek in the pillar passenger side that took 2 service shop attempts and one full day the body shop to locate the fix. In the process they damaged the headliner and scratched up several places on door panels and other plastics. So back to the shop for a new headliner when delivered. Door hinges tend to start to make a spring sprung sound they fix with loading up on grease. Sunroof makes loud rub noise when opening in vent position. Last thing I can think of is that the alarm has gone off 2 times and the only way to turn if off is use the pull out key to unlock the door because the fob won't respond. The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate so guess I will have to live with this. Okay so the good about the vehicle is that it does have a good amount of power with the V6 but it averages around 18 to 21 mpg on a regular basis. One of the main features and reasons for the purchase was the towing. The 3500 lbs tow is a bit much for the car on speeds of 45 mph or more but around town it does okay. The gearing for 1st 2nd and 3rd are way too close together so shifting with manual mode you just bump through all three gears within 20 mph. It is a fairly comfortable ride and roomy car. The AC works very well and with the rear ac option the car cools down fairly quick. Don't count on the dash drink holder to cool your drinks as it heats up when car is off and runs off the ac so you get a slightly cooler than room temp drink. The under floor mats drink holders don't have drain holes so you have to be careful not to get carpet wet when emptying. Good amount of storage room through out. The interior lighting is fair and attractive. Traction is good and the car stops fast and hard when needed. This was very impressive to me when I had to nail them once because a kid road his bike right out in front of me. The third row seating is cramped and when you sit the seat up there isn't but 12 inches of cargo room which won't even hold most coolers or items for the trip. Overall, the vehicle has many good options and has been reliable to get from point A to B but I have found that the quality isn't what I expected or as good as the Nissans I always had in the past. Also one MAIN POINT to get across is, within 6 months and 18K miles I went to trade due to the unsatisfied towing I needed and found that I had already lost 11K in depreciation. Now in less than a year that has increased to about 15K..... That's a 65% loss in less than 10 months. I hope this helped in your decision. It would have if I had know before I bought."