2010 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 391 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

Terrible quality

By on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

"Brake pads wore out after 12000 miles, brakes squealed had to replace the front rotors local Dodge dealership handed me a paper from Dodge stating that the squealing was "normal vehicle noises" . Front end vibrates when braking at freeway speed. Sluggish motor for a 6 cylinder. Can't keep the front end aligned. Terrible leg room in back seats. Sorry I bought it. First Dodge I have owned at it will be the last one. Don't make my mistake...don't buy this car and be cautious buying a Dodge product"

Engine and Transmission

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Power, storage space, comfort"

Cons: "Transmission, shifting"

"I have the SXT model with the 3.6L V6. Generally, I like the car with the roominess, flexibility, comfort of the ride and ability to get in and out of tight spaces. While the engine has significant power, it also has significant torque steering when you get on the gas. As long as you know it's coming, you'll be OK. My complaint is about the transmission. It's the 6 speed and it is crazy, all over the place as to what gear you're in. You will be doing 30 mph and you're in 6th gear. It shifts rough, it shifts oddly and this is after having it into the dealer for computer updates and new software downloads. There is nothing smooth about the transmission of this car. Which leads me to worry about the long term reliability as my mileage increases."

2009 Journey SXT AWD

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "SUV capabilities with low gas milage"

Cons: "not a true 7 seater"

"I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey with 31k miles and have driven about 30k miles with this vehicle since its purchase. So far, this vehicle has been great for me! From the reviews i have read, most people who have problems with the Journey use the base SE model (V4 with 173 HP). Most reviews for the SXT AWD (V6 with 235HP)version are positive and i concur completely. I live in Chicago and AWD is a must. No problems in snow thus far but it doesnt compare to the Durango i owned before this Journey. The interior has ridiculous amounts of hidden storage (under the seats, in the floor boards, 2 dashboards). GAS MPG has been consistent at 17city, 22 HWY."

2013 SXT

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "excellent acceleration/handling"

"Not familiar with car when I first saw it on lot. Researched it and test drove it and felt it was a good vehicle to consider. Bought SXT Model. Really happy with city/freeway combined fuel milage of about 24 being typical. Really nice acceleration and handling with smooth shifting. Nice backseat comfort for passengers and i like the drivers front seat room and comfort. Plenty of storage space in rear with third row seats being adequate for grandkid. Would never consider the 4 cyl. engine. Great on highway, plenty of acceleration and great handling. Sound system is great. Uconnect is really nice feature for hands free, works like a champ. Would consider this model again when buying a new car."

Top Safety Pick, Best Value, Roomiest in its class

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "Safety, Dependability, Roomyness, Value"

"FIrst of all, according to Consumer Reports, Chrysler is by far the most reliable American made brand, coming in far ahead of GM and Ford. Second of all, this car is one of the only mid-sized SUVs to be chosen as a IIHS Top Safety Pick. These two attributes are the most important ones when choosing a family car. Thirdly, this SUV is the roomiest, most spacious mid-sized SUV, another very important attribute for families. It's a very good SUV, and I got mine around 4K less than a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, etc. Plus my Journey holds 7 people quite well whereas none of the others could come close. You could put an infant in some of the others 3rd row seat but that's about all. This SUV is best in class, very safe, very roomy, very dependable."

Rides and handles nice. We have owned it from new.

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Great winter vehicle"

"We have been on two trips of over 1500 miles. This is an all wheel drive and is very reliable in the winter."

Not worth the trouble.

By on Saturday, April 23, 2011

"I currently own a 2009 Dodge Journey and I am so SORRY I eer purchased it. I have had more headaches than any new vehicle owner should have. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF ALL IS WITH THE BRAKES. I HAVE HAD THE BRAKES, PADS AND ROTORS, REPLACED 3 TIMES IN 11 MONTHS (MARCH 2010 TO FEB 2011). IT'S NOT MY DRIVING SKILLS,OR THE ROTORS AND PADS. I have been told it is caused by the wheels heating up and warping the Rotors. Every time the brakes start to go bad, it starts with the entire car vibrating while I'm driving down the Interstate; this increases when I try to hit the brakes. You can't imagine how horrible it feels to wonder if you will lose your life when you need to stop and your car won't respond. Oh, and.... The fact that the Dash melted in the sun should have been an indicator of things to come. I don't think the dealership telling me that the Hot FLORIDA SUN may be to blame. I should be able to live in "Tierra del Fuego" and not have that happen. The emergency peddle broke off within 6 months of ownership. The seats stain from anything falling on it; even water. They had to replace the entire seat because they could not get the stains out(I bought it with those stains, and the saleman promised they would clean it). Bottom line is that Dodge used poor material to manufacture this auto and now wants to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread. Not so much! I am not the only person having this problem. Check ALL the "Known Complaints for 2009 Dodge Journey" online, and you will see what I mean. Why won't Dodge do a RECALL? I am fling for The Lemon Law. My vehicle is not worth very much right now in your KBB. I Hate Dodge Journey!!!!!!!!!"

very nice vehicle

By on Friday, March 11, 2011

"Have been very pleased with journey, everyone crying about the brakes, changed my brakes at 24,000, did they ever consider their driving style. Got 27 mpg highway at 70mph on a road trip,and between 16 and 18 city, and we dont baby it, Wife loves this vehicle."

Too many trips to the service department

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "seats 5 adults 2 kids, lots of storage bins"

Cons: "Too many problems to list in 50 characters"

"I bought this vehicle new at the end of 2008, traded my 4X4 Ford Explorer for more seating and better gas mileage. Purchased a special "bumper to bumper as long as you own the car" maintenance plan. In 2009 windshield washer hosing had to be replaced (warranty covered it), also changed all four break pads and front rotors and all four 19" (only one manufacture sells this type at $1,100 a set)tires. In 2010 engine bolts broke, not covered by "bumper to bumper" plan; also replaced on set of tires and front break pads. In 2011, passenger side heat stopped working, not covered by plan, was reimbursed by dodge for one early break replacement after providing copies of receipts and filling out paperwork. In 2012, needed another set of 19" expensive tires, so instead used taxes and bought four 18" rims and tires for $1,100. This year, ERG sensor out (something to do with exhaust system) not covered by plan. I spend approximately 50% of my driving time on the highway for about 6 - 12 miles a day, and the rest is in and around town, I live about a mile down a well maintained dirt road. I don't drive it in the snow, because it has absolutely no traction, tires will spin at an intersection after it rains. What I might have saved in fuel costs, I have doubled in maintenance that dodge said was not covered. I get routine oil changes and lubes. I have had enough of dodge."

Dodge Journey is a great value for less

By on Friday, January 08, 2016

Pros: "comfortable, easy to drive and versatile."

Cons: "four cylinder is adequate but needs a little more"

"I leased my Journey over two years ago and it has never ceased to impress me with it's comfort,versatility and spacious interior. My four cylinder is adequate but could use a few more horses,but it gets the job done. If you need a new vehicle that has plenty of room for passengers or family cargo this is very affordable,try out a Journey and see for yourself."

Solid car, happy with choice

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, attractive"

Cons: "Backseat leg room, lack of passenger power seat"

"Note: Our previous car was a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica which we loved. If Pacifica was still being made, we probably would have bought another. It spoiled us with it's roominess and general comfort as well as both driver and passenger power seats which were on the base model. It was also very reliable. Okay, time to move on to our Dodge Journey: I own the 6cyl. SXT model with 3rd row seat. I love the acceleration ability, general comfort and smooth ride. Fuel economy is okay - seems like I have to fill pretty often but the electronic fuel econ. usually reads in the 21-23 range. Cons: Lacking in rear leg room compared to our previous crossover. No power seat for passenger. Salespeople at numerous dealerships are very confused about what Uconnect/Bluetooth/handsfree really mean. Please research before purchasing. Pros: Attractive car, really good engine in 6cyl model, like the flex seating w/3rd row when needed. LOVED all the cubbies and storage when first viewed the car, but ironically hardly ever use them."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Price, Room, amenities, styling"

Cons: "Battery location, a few blind spots"

"Probably one of the best cross overs on the market right now. All the bugs from the older models have been ironed out with the 2013. Love the 8 inch uconnect screen and individual climate control, sat radio. Had the Leather Seating added at the dealer with no problems. Fit and finish are as good as any on the market right now. Rides stiffer than the Grand Cherokee it replaced but not a big complaint about that. Got the SXT with the 3rd row and have not had any issues with that. Loads of cargo room in the back, 4 power ports through out. We got the 2.4 straight 4 and although its not a deamon on the starts. it does get the job done and will easily cary a full load of passengers and stuff in the back. The only bad thing I have found so far it the location of the battery, which is buried deep in the left hand side of the engine bay. Will take some time to replace when that time comes. LED interior lighting is very nice and plentiful. Over all a good deal for what you get."

Never again

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Nice ride and roomy cargo area."

Cons: "Everything started to go at 45,000 miles"

"Liked the journey till the transfer case went out at 48,000 miles. Still waiting for the part. It been 6 weeks wrote to Chrysler and am on a waiting list. 6 to 8 weeks for a part. Tires were hard to find also and very expensive."

Price is great!!

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Great Price"

Cons: "Serious Blind spots"

"The price is great for what you get but this car has some serious blind spots. You have to be extra careful when getting over. Lots of storage space. Back seats are ajustable. Extra Floor storage for toys."

stay away

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reason: everything

Pros: "Reasonable space. Great stereo & roof racks"

Cons: "too many problems - gas hog!"

"Bought a new 2009 sxt and it was fine for about 20,000 miles. We bought it mostly for the third row bench. In the next 60,000 miles here were the problems: -two completely new sets of brakes required. Needs new ones now. -transmission bumping/rough and likely to go out soon. -can't roll down front windows or use power mirrors. Wiring harness is bad. -compartment above rear view mirror would not stay shut even after being replaced. -horrible gas mileage. about 20 on the highway! -uncomfortable seats -coolant reservoir sprung a leak and fountained over the engine. -second row bench seats hard to fold down and maneuver. -occasionally the key doesn't work and engine won't start. -horrible and dangerous lack of space for proper vision through the windows. It is so hard to see other vehicles. The worst when backing up. -paint peeled badly off of both mirrors within 30K We took care of the car and performed regular maintenance."

Not worth the cost!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Front seats are comfortable"

Cons: "Nonworking rear air"

"Bought the Journey Mainstreet in March of 2011. Felt it was not a bad car for the price at first. Did notice no inside release for the gas cap and once started driving others around realized the third seat is only good for little kids. There is no leg room and when the seats are up it is harder to see out of the rear mirror. The middle seats do not move correctly to allow for someone to get into the back so they must climb in. Right off started having problems with the rear air until it got to the point where it would not turn on at all. Dodge has supposedly fixed the problem but it keeps happening. It is hard to drive with the heat and no air getting to the kids in the back. The mpg is not close to what is stated for the V6. The car has lost so much value that I can not do anything with it."

very reliable

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"the only downside for me is that its hard to see when backing up or changing lanes."

did not live up to advertised expectations

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Reason: hated this car, gas mileage below advertised

Pros: "cute, okay to drive"

Cons: "clostrophobic, lots o problems under 10,000 miles"

"In the 1st 90 days ownership, car was in the shop every other week, 3-4 days. Dealer did provide a loaner vehicle but 1st year of production there were lots of bugs to be worked out. Never did fix the vibration in the dash at speeds over 65 but I did't too often drive that fast so that was tolerable. Constantly had to have sensors replaced. Electronic sensor tire air valves disentegrated regularly and were very expensive to replace. Average gas mileage was 13-15 city 17 hwy, that was the worst part - advertised at 22 city, 25 hwy. Advertised kid-friendly seat fabric stained horribly even though we allowed no food/beverage in the car. 3rd seat only fits very small children and is very difficlut to access. Car cheaply made: handles, latches, visors broke easily. Not a good car for kids. Also killer blind spots in the rear view mirrors and when you turn to look - needed a passenger to check for vehicles when changing lanes!"

Great Package All Around

By on Sunday, June 05, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Great Design, Great Fuel Mileage"

Cons: "Placement of cup holders, U connect should be standard"

"I just traded in my 09 Ram cause I needed something more economical sice I drive a lot of miles every year. I must say I am very happy so far. Looked at a used 09 and 10 Journey. Must say was not impressed with the sluggish engine and cheap interior. Now the 2011 redesign is a completely different story. The interior in My Minstreet AWD feels like a luxury SUV. Heated seats, U connect, Remote start etc. All for under $27K. The gas mileage is superb. On the 75MPH Montana Speed limit, driving up and down the Mountain passes, never letting up on the accelerator I averaged 24.6 mpg. The second tank, combining HWY and CTY I am averaging just over 22mpg. My Ram was averaging just under 17mpg. Granted its and AWD and not a true 4WD, but I expect to get this through quite a bit of Montana snow. The interior design could not be better. I am 6'3" and fit in the front just fine with enough room for the little ones behind me. It is well laid out for its mid size design. The 3rd row is better suited for the small passengers or folded down. With the 3rd row flat the trunk space is spacious enough for 2 full size labs or a bunch of groceries. This is not a Suburban but at $4 gallon gas every bit counts. The new 2011 Journey is a hit with me. Driving it is a pleasure. Plenty of room. Well laid out interior design. A in my books. Good job Chrysler. Have always owned Dodges. From 1 ton Cummins Rams to their Caravan to now the Journey. Would recommend to anyone with small children, need for AWD and those who want great fuel mileage. Absolutely love this car so far."

Almost a 10! NOT ONE RECALL! No 4 Cyl here !

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Get the 6Cyl for speed when U need it! I did! :)"

Cons: "Nothing major, just a few improvements needed!"

"Pros: The seats are quite comfortable for long trips, beyond comparison! No 'tin can' feeling on the road. The outer color of 'storm gray' reduces all glare in hot terrain. The size of the moon/sun roof is surprisingly large and controls are quiet. The tire traction and front-end suspension do their jobs very, very well, for a real smooth ride. The backup camera is a nice feature. The on screen hands-free calling and sound system controls are safe and handy while driving. The options for door locks and so much more adds value. The interior leather is high quality and stands up to 'people' quite nicely. The added carpet overlays are great preservers. The factory tires are much better quality than I expected. I love how the 'vehicle info' gives so much detailed information on the engine. I know what is going on for a change! Engine hours is a great reality check too. The Sirius XM is for FREE, year one!(It should be for two years on a new car)! I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, but this one is certainly the most versatile I have had. I like to buy things that take a truck, but I don't really need one 95% of the time with this vehicle. I'm still finding things out about my car. It is definitely equipped with some great features! Cons: The side view mirrors control needs updating with more range of motion for short people, so the rear mirror is not too far out of range to see properly. There needs to be larger/more AC vents. The driver seat needs to have truly separate positioning control patterns. (Why are all the visors so ridiculously little, and not just on this car?) The lumbar support is not 'as' adjustable as it should be. The carpeting on/in the cargo area is so thin, it is sadly very substandard. The speaker system could be much, much better for the price. Factory wipers are in need of higher quality and better functioning. The backup camera does not need to beep when vehicle has stopped. Dodge should provide new car buyers with a good leather conditioner for the seating,w/ gloves to maintain it. With the warming seats and steering wheel, the directions for maintaining these needs to be emphasized for warranty's sake. The windows could be tinted a bit darker, legally. If Dodge included a step ladder to reach the roof for cleaning, that would be awesome!"

Drive for business, do not want another one

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cons: "Brakes and repair cost."

"This 2009 car drives ok and is ok on comfort, mechanical issues are the problem. Front brakes, completely replaced at 55K, Front disc again at 85K, Front pads at 90K (one side wore more than other), front disc turned at 95K,disc replaced again at101.5K. Rear brakes complete replacement at 60K. Chrysler says there is no issue with brakes! In 30 years of business driving (interstate) I never had to replace front brakes under 100,000 miles."

Like the car in general.

By on Monday, December 21, 2015

"4 cylinder with 4 speed trans is terrible, especially with air conditioner on. Needs the 6 speed trans like the V6 has and I think it would improve it tremendously. Other than that it has been a nice vehicle overall. To get that trans the cost is 8 to 10 thousand dollars to upgrade to the model with the V6 package. An additional 1000 wouldn't be so bad to get a better transmission but not 8000."

Excellent Vehicle for Road Trips.

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Excellent Handling and Engine Power"

"This vehicle went beyond our expectations, we took a road trip this summer from Texas to Illinois back down to Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and back to Texas. We covered 11 states and drove about 3500 miles. We also went from 0 Feet above see level to above 6500 above sea level. In regards to performance we did no have an issue, it managed to keep a smooth and fast ride up hill and lots of power going up the Smokey Mountains. It does have lots of power and allows you to get out of a Jam when you need to punch the gas. We have 2 children a 10 year old and a 6 year old and they managed to have enough space to carry all their gear in the back seat. The cargo bins in front of the rear seats came in handy to keep all DVD movies and our kids gear , we also used one of them as a cooler and managed to keep all of their snacks handy. Cargo area was big enough to carry 8 pieces of luggage and all souvenirs accumulated on our 2 week vacation. Nice Journey Dodge!"

Great road car with lots of room

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "Was great with all grand kids"

Cons: "Too big for us now"

"Great Car with road and comforble to drive on trips and quiet"

2011 DODGE JOURNEY

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "reliability,mileage,ride and hauling"

Cons: "a little under-powered, but not a problem"

"Owned approx 3 years with 29,000 mile. only thing I've done are oil changes still original brakes. no problems I have 4cyl auto. all around mileage approx 20mpg Highway approx 27-28mpg. Been a very reliable SUV. rides great and can carry a ton of gear."