2010 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 394 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

Too many trips to the service department

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "seats 5 adults 2 kids, lots of storage bins"

Cons: "Too many problems to list in 50 characters"

"I bought this vehicle new at the end of 2008, traded my 4X4 Ford Explorer for more seating and better gas mileage. Purchased a special "bumper to bumper as long as you own the car" maintenance plan. In 2009 windshield washer hosing had to be replaced (warranty covered it), also changed all four break pads and front rotors and all four 19" (only one manufacture sells this type at $1,100 a set)tires. In 2010 engine bolts broke, not covered by "bumper to bumper" plan; also replaced on set of tires and front break pads. In 2011, passenger side heat stopped working, not covered by plan, was reimbursed by dodge for one early break replacement after providing copies of receipts and filling out paperwork. In 2012, needed another set of 19" expensive tires, so instead used taxes and bought four 18" rims and tires for $1,100. This year, ERG sensor out (something to do with exhaust system) not covered by plan. I spend approximately 50% of my driving time on the highway for about 6 - 12 miles a day, and the rest is in and around town, I live about a mile down a well maintained dirt road. I don't drive it in the snow, because it has absolutely no traction, tires will spin at an intersection after it rains. What I might have saved in fuel costs, I have doubled in maintenance that dodge said was not covered. I get routine oil changes and lubes. I have had enough of dodge."

Solid car, happy with choice

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, attractive"

Cons: "Backseat leg room, lack of passenger power seat"

"Note: Our previous car was a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica which we loved. If Pacifica was still being made, we probably would have bought another. It spoiled us with it's roominess and general comfort as well as both driver and passenger power seats which were on the base model. It was also very reliable. Okay, time to move on to our Dodge Journey: I own the 6cyl. SXT model with 3rd row seat. I love the acceleration ability, general comfort and smooth ride. Fuel economy is okay - seems like I have to fill pretty often but the electronic fuel econ. usually reads in the 21-23 range. Cons: Lacking in rear leg room compared to our previous crossover. No power seat for passenger. Salespeople at numerous dealerships are very confused about what Uconnect/Bluetooth/handsfree really mean. Please research before purchasing. Pros: Attractive car, really good engine in 6cyl model, like the flex seating w/3rd row when needed. LOVED all the cubbies and storage when first viewed the car, but ironically hardly ever use them."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Price, Room, amenities, styling"

Cons: "Battery location, a few blind spots"

"Probably one of the best cross overs on the market right now. All the bugs from the older models have been ironed out with the 2013. Love the 8 inch uconnect screen and individual climate control, sat radio. Had the Leather Seating added at the dealer with no problems. Fit and finish are as good as any on the market right now. Rides stiffer than the Grand Cherokee it replaced but not a big complaint about that. Got the SXT with the 3rd row and have not had any issues with that. Loads of cargo room in the back, 4 power ports through out. We got the 2.4 straight 4 and although its not a deamon on the starts. it does get the job done and will easily cary a full load of passengers and stuff in the back. The only bad thing I have found so far it the location of the battery, which is buried deep in the left hand side of the engine bay. Will take some time to replace when that time comes. LED interior lighting is very nice and plentiful. Over all a good deal for what you get."

Never again

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Nice ride and roomy cargo area."

Cons: "Everything started to go at 45,000 miles"

"Liked the journey till the transfer case went out at 48,000 miles. Still waiting for the part. It been 6 weeks wrote to Chrysler and am on a waiting list. 6 to 8 weeks for a part. Tires were hard to find also and very expensive."

Price is great!!

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Great Price"

Cons: "Serious Blind spots"

"The price is great for what you get but this car has some serious blind spots. You have to be extra careful when getting over. Lots of storage space. Back seats are ajustable. Extra Floor storage for toys."

stay away

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reason: everything

Pros: "Reasonable space. Great stereo & roof racks"

Cons: "too many problems - gas hog!"

"Bought a new 2009 sxt and it was fine for about 20,000 miles. We bought it mostly for the third row bench. In the next 60,000 miles here were the problems: -two completely new sets of brakes required. Needs new ones now. -transmission bumping/rough and likely to go out soon. -can't roll down front windows or use power mirrors. Wiring harness is bad. -compartment above rear view mirror would not stay shut even after being replaced. -horrible gas mileage. about 20 on the highway! -uncomfortable seats -coolant reservoir sprung a leak and fountained over the engine. -second row bench seats hard to fold down and maneuver. -occasionally the key doesn't work and engine won't start. -horrible and dangerous lack of space for proper vision through the windows. It is so hard to see other vehicles. The worst when backing up. -paint peeled badly off of both mirrors within 30K We took care of the car and performed regular maintenance."

Not worth the cost!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Front seats are comfortable"

Cons: "Nonworking rear air"

"Bought the Journey Mainstreet in March of 2011. Felt it was not a bad car for the price at first. Did notice no inside release for the gas cap and once started driving others around realized the third seat is only good for little kids. There is no leg room and when the seats are up it is harder to see out of the rear mirror. The middle seats do not move correctly to allow for someone to get into the back so they must climb in. Right off started having problems with the rear air until it got to the point where it would not turn on at all. Dodge has supposedly fixed the problem but it keeps happening. It is hard to drive with the heat and no air getting to the kids in the back. The mpg is not close to what is stated for the V6. The car has lost so much value that I can not do anything with it."

very reliable

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"the only downside for me is that its hard to see when backing up or changing lanes."

did not live up to advertised expectations

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Reason: hated this car, gas mileage below advertised

Pros: "cute, okay to drive"

Cons: "clostrophobic, lots o problems under 10,000 miles"

"In the 1st 90 days ownership, car was in the shop every other week, 3-4 days. Dealer did provide a loaner vehicle but 1st year of production there were lots of bugs to be worked out. Never did fix the vibration in the dash at speeds over 65 but I did't too often drive that fast so that was tolerable. Constantly had to have sensors replaced. Electronic sensor tire air valves disentegrated regularly and were very expensive to replace. Average gas mileage was 13-15 city 17 hwy, that was the worst part - advertised at 22 city, 25 hwy. Advertised kid-friendly seat fabric stained horribly even though we allowed no food/beverage in the car. 3rd seat only fits very small children and is very difficlut to access. Car cheaply made: handles, latches, visors broke easily. Not a good car for kids. Also killer blind spots in the rear view mirrors and when you turn to look - needed a passenger to check for vehicles when changing lanes!"

Great Package All Around

By on Sunday, June 05, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Great Design, Great Fuel Mileage"

Cons: "Placement of cup holders, U connect should be standard"

"I just traded in my 09 Ram cause I needed something more economical sice I drive a lot of miles every year. I must say I am very happy so far. Looked at a used 09 and 10 Journey. Must say was not impressed with the sluggish engine and cheap interior. Now the 2011 redesign is a completely different story. The interior in My Minstreet AWD feels like a luxury SUV. Heated seats, U connect, Remote start etc. All for under $27K. The gas mileage is superb. On the 75MPH Montana Speed limit, driving up and down the Mountain passes, never letting up on the accelerator I averaged 24.6 mpg. The second tank, combining HWY and CTY I am averaging just over 22mpg. My Ram was averaging just under 17mpg. Granted its and AWD and not a true 4WD, but I expect to get this through quite a bit of Montana snow. The interior design could not be better. I am 6'3" and fit in the front just fine with enough room for the little ones behind me. It is well laid out for its mid size design. The 3rd row is better suited for the small passengers or folded down. With the 3rd row flat the trunk space is spacious enough for 2 full size labs or a bunch of groceries. This is not a Suburban but at $4 gallon gas every bit counts. The new 2011 Journey is a hit with me. Driving it is a pleasure. Plenty of room. Well laid out interior design. A in my books. Good job Chrysler. Have always owned Dodges. From 1 ton Cummins Rams to their Caravan to now the Journey. Would recommend to anyone with small children, need for AWD and those who want great fuel mileage. Absolutely love this car so far."

Almost a 10! NOT ONE RECALL! No 4 Cyl here !

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Get the 6Cyl for speed when U need it! I did! :)"

Cons: "Nothing major, just a few improvements needed!"

"Pros: The seats are quite comfortable for long trips, beyond comparison! No 'tin can' feeling on the road. The outer color of 'storm gray' reduces all glare in hot terrain. The size of the moon/sun roof is surprisingly large and controls are quiet. The tire traction and front-end suspension do their jobs very, very well, for a real smooth ride. The backup camera is a nice feature. The on screen hands-free calling and sound system controls are safe and handy while driving. The options for door locks and so much more adds value. The interior leather is high quality and stands up to 'people' quite nicely. The added carpet overlays are great preservers. The factory tires are much better quality than I expected. I love how the 'vehicle info' gives so much detailed information on the engine. I know what is going on for a change! Engine hours is a great reality check too. The Sirius XM is for FREE, year one!(It should be for two years on a new car)! I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, but this one is certainly the most versatile I have had. I like to buy things that take a truck, but I don't really need one 95% of the time with this vehicle. I'm still finding things out about my car. It is definitely equipped with some great features! Cons: The side view mirrors control needs updating with more range of motion for short people, so the rear mirror is not too far out of range to see properly. There needs to be larger/more AC vents. The driver seat needs to have truly separate positioning control patterns. (Why are all the visors so ridiculously little, and not just on this car?) The lumbar support is not 'as' adjustable as it should be. The carpeting on/in the cargo area is so thin, it is sadly very substandard. The speaker system could be much, much better for the price. Factory wipers are in need of higher quality and better functioning. The backup camera does not need to beep when vehicle has stopped. Dodge should provide new car buyers with a good leather conditioner for the seating,w/ gloves to maintain it. With the warming seats and steering wheel, the directions for maintaining these needs to be emphasized for warranty's sake. The windows could be tinted a bit darker, legally. If Dodge included a step ladder to reach the roof for cleaning, that would be awesome!"

Good road trip Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Pros: "It is a nice vehicle for the money."

Cons: "Transmission is due for an upgrade."

"It is a nice vehicle for the money - avoid the four cylinder engine and opt for the 3.6L V6. It offers a smoother and quieter ride. Vehicle is a bit heavier and lower to the ground than some other SUV/Crossovers in its class-we recently drove in high wind conditions and did not get knocked around like some lighter SUV/Crossovers."

Drive for business, do not want another one

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cons: "Brakes and repair cost."

"This 2009 car drives ok and is ok on comfort, mechanical issues are the problem. Front brakes, completely replaced at 55K, Front disc again at 85K, Front pads at 90K (one side wore more than other), front disc turned at 95K,disc replaced again at101.5K. Rear brakes complete replacement at 60K. Chrysler says there is no issue with brakes! In 30 years of business driving (interstate) I never had to replace front brakes under 100,000 miles."

LOVE IT

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Good Price, Fun, Comfortable, Space, Inside design"

Cons: "Back gets dirty and rear wiper obstructs view."

"Bought this car in November 2011 and I love it. I have a Journey SE. Taken it on 2 long road trips and it is comfortable. The car came standard with a touch screen radio. I wish the passenger seat could move up and down like the driver seat and that there were a gas cap that would open from the inside. I bought a locking cap for the tank and we were 300 miles away from home and we needed gas and I forgot the key at home for the gas cap so we needed a locksmith to pick it open."

I'm sorry I bought this car

By on Friday, July 17, 2009

"I purchased this car about less than 6 months ago. I have been in the shop with it 4 out of the 6 months that I have had this Journey. I am so disappointed with this car and I would never reccommend this vehicle to anyone."

Excellent Vehicle for Road Trips.

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Excellent Handling and Engine Power"

"This vehicle went beyond our expectations, we took a road trip this summer from Texas to Illinois back down to Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and back to Texas. We covered 11 states and drove about 3500 miles. We also went from 0 Feet above see level to above 6500 above sea level. In regards to performance we did no have an issue, it managed to keep a smooth and fast ride up hill and lots of power going up the Smokey Mountains. It does have lots of power and allows you to get out of a Jam when you need to punch the gas. We have 2 children a 10 year old and a 6 year old and they managed to have enough space to carry all their gear in the back seat. The cargo bins in front of the rear seats came in handy to keep all DVD movies and our kids gear , we also used one of them as a cooler and managed to keep all of their snacks handy. Cargo area was big enough to carry 8 pieces of luggage and all souvenirs accumulated on our 2 week vacation. Nice Journey Dodge!"

Great road car with lots of room

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "Was great with all grand kids"

Cons: "Too big for us now"

"Great Car with road and comforble to drive on trips and quiet"

2011 DODGE JOURNEY

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "reliability,mileage,ride and hauling"

Cons: "a little under-powered, but not a problem"

"Owned approx 3 years with 29,000 mile. only thing I've done are oil changes still original brakes. no problems I have 4cyl auto. all around mileage approx 20mpg Highway approx 27-28mpg. Been a very reliable SUV. rides great and can carry a ton of gear."

The best overlooked crossover on the Market...

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "Affordability, Features, Keyless Entry,"

Cons: "4 cyl a little weak"

"Me and my wife purchased a 2013 Journey 4 cyl. about 3 weeks ago, and absolutely love it! We got it out of neccesity as we took in our 2 nephews and 1 niece, on top of our daughter, so we needed a vehicle with 3rd row seating. We don't want to spend a boat load of money, and we really didn't want to take a risk on something used. So after much research I found the Journey is the most affordable new SUV with 3rd row seating on the market. Dodge is definitely on the way up, and this vehicle doesn't disappoint with features of interior, even in a base model. It has touch screen interface, keyless entry and keyless engine start. Plenty of storage all things considered with the 3rd row."

Broke down in less than 6 months

By on Monday, June 11, 2012

Pros: "Third row seating"

Cons: "Mechanical problems"

"We loved this car until it broke down just under 6 months of owning it. The starter burnt out and the oil pump went. The bottom half of the engine needs to be rebuilt because it was starved of oil. The dealership mechanic said it was a "freak accident." It has been in the repair shop for a week now. I will avoid the Dodge/Chrysler brand."

WIPER BLADE, ELECTRICAL, BRAKES AND BODY

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "RIDES GREAT AND HANDLES ROAD GOOD"

Cons: "NEVER SHOULD HAVE PURCHASED.WOULD NOT RECOMMEND."

"BAD WIPER BLADES. TWO RECALLS ON ELECTRICAL. BAD BRAKES. WATER LEAKING INSIDE OF VEHICLE AFTER RAIN OR CAR WASHES. STAINING SEAT COVER MATERIAL WITH ONLY WATER SPILLS. NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME OFF OF ASSEMBLY LINE AND SOLD TO THE PUBLIC. WORKING ON 11 REPAIR INCIDENTS ON SAID VEHICLE."

I love this car!

By on Friday, August 13, 2010

"I read all the reviews before I bought this car, and now that I own one, I want people to know that this is a great family car! I have read many complaints but every line of vehicles will produce lemons. I just replaced the Wireless Ignition module, at 48000 miles. Thats all. Every person that rides in my car always comments on what a smooth ride this is. ALSO, if you hold your unlock button down, the two front windows will roll down for you. That way on hot days, your not blasted with heat when you open the door. I would buy this car again, and like I stated before every line will produce bad cars, it happens. The newer the car, the more electrical problems you have a chance of having. The only bad thing, if the plastic key wears out its about 250 to get at a dealership. I also own the v6, SKT and it drives great. The person who rented the car and commented on the transmission issue, you need to turn off the traction control if your trying to start off going fast. There is more power that way. He really had no right commenting on a vehicle he doesn't even own, and obviously doesn't know how to operate!! Great car for a family and tremendous amount of leg room in the 3rd row. I test drove other 3rd row seating vehicles, and none of them had the kind of space this one has. I get about 24MPG (with the AC) on the highway and 18 in town. This car just makes sense for families who dont want a minivan but want the same amount of room."

NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, BIG HEAD ACHE!!

By on Saturday, July 31, 2010

"I PURCHASED A 2009 AWD R/T FULLY LOADED ON 9/1/2009, FROM 237 MILES UNTIL NOW 7/31/2010, 7600 MILES, IT HAS HAD SEVERAL PROBLEMS AND HAS SPENT OVER 4 WEEKS IN THE SHOP, IT HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP NOW SINCE 7/16/2010, AND IT IS STILL IN THERE AND NOT REPAIRED, THIS IS THE LAST DODGE PRODUCT FOR ME!!!!......BEWARE......"

Worst buy ever!

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Have had more things go wrong with this car than a used car! Clock does not keep accurate time, cruise control has a mind of its own. Transmission is weak, and already have had to have mine fixed with only 14,000 miles on it. Had it since March, and overally very unimpressed, have had nothing but issues with this car. The seats are the worst material! Water will stain them, and the only way to fix that is by having it professional detailed at 100 bucks. Not a vechile for people who do more than drive to a desk job and the store. Would not buy this car again, should've gone with another car."

Smooth & Quiet

By on Friday, August 01, 2008

"I have just purchased the Journey RT / I can't say enough about the navigation system and radio - An excellent vehicle for the money & all the extras is well worth getting. Only downside to the vehicle is that it doesn't have great pickup but overall NICE!"