2010 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 399 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

7.2/10
    7.0/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

WORST VEHICLE I HAVE DRIVEN

By on Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pros: "storage"

Cons: "everything else"

"I bought my 2009 Journey brand new in July of 2009. I have had several problems with it ever since. Around 15,000 miles, my engine light came on and anytime I got over 60 MPH, the car would shake terribly. I took it to the dealership and sat there for 3.5 hours for them to tell me there was nothing wrong with my car. Around 20,000 miles, my brakes had to be replaced. After reading the rest of the reviews on here, I am actually glad to know its not just me nor my driving. Now, I am at close to 37,000 miles and here is a list of things currently wrong: the lock on my front passenger door will NOT work ( i have to manually pull the lock up myself from inside), the cruise decides to work at its own convenience, need new brake pads again,the paint is chipping terribly, and the tires need to be replaced. This would be ok if we could find the tires at all. I have the 19 inch rims and the tires are IMPOSSIBLE to find ANYWHERE. No dealership within 75 miles of me has them or can order them. They are also super expensive. We are actually having to purchase a different size tire just for me to have a tire! I do NOT recommend this vehicle. We are in the process of finding me a new car and trading this lemon in. HATE IT!"

I would replace

By on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"I have had my 2009 since June of 09 and I love it. The third row seats folds flat which gives me room that my previous mini van didn't for groceries. This is by far the best vehicle for the money I have owned that fits my family of 6. If I wrecked it today, I would have another one tomorrow. I don't regret my decision one bit."

What a LEMON

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "decent mpg, nice looking vehicle"

Cons: "bad brakes, misfiring cylinders, bad customer serv"

"BRAKE ISSUES and ENGINE PROBLEMS. Bought this vehicle brand new 19 months ago. It has been in the shop more than not. Chrysler’s not willing to back their product. After about a week of ownership received letter from Chrysler there was a known brake defect and they would warranty them with deductibles up to 36k miles vs 12k. At 7445 miles I had brake issues. Dealership fixed no charge. At 19653 had second brake job. At 24k more brake issue, rotor and pads replaced on front and back, $50 deductable. At 28000 miles 3rd brake job all 4 wheels, calibers hang up $100 deductable. I had the vehicle in 9x for brakes. Also engine misfire. Now there is a lifter noise. Contacted Chrysler asked for assistance. Asked to have replaced under LEMON LAW. They said wasn't a lemon, would not waive deductible for brakes. The moldings around the front doors have been replaced 3x and the overhead consol was also replaced 3x. Had a friend who bought the same vehicle one week after me. She traded hers off within the first sixt months due to the same engine problems I experienced. Reviewed various websites and found SEVERAL reviews with the same issues. Chrysler delivered a very bad product with the 2010 Journey. NOT HAPPY LOOSING MONEY, between the down payment and current trade in value, I am loosing $6000 but to put new brakes on every 7 to 13000, I will go broke. Saying good bye to Chrysler and hello to GM."

Get the bugs out.

By on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"My 09 Journey STX is 10 months on the road has 29000 miles and has been in the shop 6 times so far. The vehicle has never broken down on me but there has been many issues that are annoying and are not acceptable. Most recent was that with in 25K miles the brake pads have worn down and the pads worn uneven and even had scorn the rotter from what the service manager told me "Too Much Metal in the pads." and of course they didn't warrant it because it was a wear item. Pads never made it to the indicators but damaged rotter so expensive fix at my cost. Yea thats High Quality Mopar Parts. The AC makes a loud rattle that has yet to be fixed, there was a grinding noise from the steering and was found that the reservoir was too small after several trips in, There was a creek in the pillar passenger side that took 2 service shop attempts and one full day the body shop to locate the fix. In the process they damaged the headliner and scratched up several places on door panels and other plastics. So back to the shop for a new headliner when delivered. Door hinges tend to start to make a spring sprung sound they fix with loading up on grease. Sunroof makes loud rub noise when opening in vent position. Last thing I can think of is that the alarm has gone off 2 times and the only way to turn if off is use the pull out key to unlock the door because the fob won't respond. The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate so guess I will have to live with this. Okay so the good about the vehicle is that it does have a good amount of power with the V6 but it averages around 18 to 21 mpg on a regular basis. One of the main features and reasons for the purchase was the towing. The 3500 lbs tow is a bit much for the car on speeds of 45 mph or more but around town it does okay. The gearing for 1st 2nd and 3rd are way too close together so shifting with manual mode you just bump through all three gears within 20 mph. It is a fairly comfortable ride and roomy car. The AC works very well and with the rear ac option the car cools down fairly quick. Don't count on the dash drink holder to cool your drinks as it heats up when car is off and runs off the ac so you get a slightly cooler than room temp drink. The under floor mats drink holders don't have drain holes so you have to be careful not to get carpet wet when emptying. Good amount of storage room through out. The interior lighting is fair and attractive. Traction is good and the car stops fast and hard when needed. This was very impressive to me when I had to nail them once because a kid road his bike right out in front of me. The third row seating is cramped and when you sit the seat up there isn't but 12 inches of cargo room which won't even hold most coolers or items for the trip. Overall, the vehicle has many good options and has been reliable to get from point A to B but I have found that the quality isn't what I expected or as good as the Nissans I always had in the past. Also one MAIN POINT to get across is, within 6 months and 18K miles I went to trade due to the unsatisfied towing I needed and found that I had already lost 11K in depreciation. Now in less than a year that has increased to about 15K..... That's a 65% loss in less than 10 months. I hope this helped in your decision. It would have if I had know before I bought."

Great crossover for the right price

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "MPG, utility, comfort, performance, radio"

Cons: "Residual value"

"We have owned our 2012 Dodge Journey SXT for about 18 months and love it as much now and the day we bought it new. I don't know how anyone in the real world could ever give this a bad review. Professional auto writers are comparing it based on their vast experience with much more expensive crossovers and SUV's but don't use it for real world function for a family of 4 or 5. This holds the family and all of our stuff quite nicely. We got the V6 which I would recommend to everyone since they aren't that much more, hold their value so much better than the 4 cylinders, and the performance matches anything else I've drive. The road handling and feel is as nice as my Dodge Challenger. There is limited body roll in corners and it cruises smooth and quiet down the highway. Gas mileage is great and beats the EPA estimates in the city and on the highway. The standard features are adequate and we added the safety package with the larger screen radio and rear backup camera. With all Chrysler/Dodge products, you have to do your research and find a very good price with lots of rebates because these don't hold their value very well at all. So if you're someone who buys a car and then trades it in every two years then you'll want to avoid this one. We are about even with book value so finding the most rebates in essential. But if you own a car 5+ year this is the best value out there because it's a great price for a lot of car and what it's worth after 18 or 24 months doesn't really matter if you're not looking to sell it."

Owned 2010 4yrs next month, bought a new crew

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "7 passanger, 6 cyl. lots of toys to play with."

"Our 2010 SXT was excellent. 7 passanger, 6 cyl. ran great. put 45K miles on it and traded it yesterday for a new 2013 journey crew, fully loaded. Plenty of room to take the grand kids on vacation. Rides better than the 3 previous Cadillacs we've owned. Would reccomend this to anyone looking for a great comfortable suv. Always get the 6 cyl. lots of power to spare. Lots of toys on the new one to make traveling fun."

Dependable and comfortable

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

"This is a Great car with good gas milage for its size and utility. It can carry up to 7 passangers, tow a trailer, have luggage on the roof rack and still get 23 miles per gallon on the highway and in comfort. You cant't beat that. With a standard load and a cold air intake I get 27-30 MPG on the highway. That is great for a V6 SUV. For the price it out does the competition. Cost $2000-5000 less then anything in its class as equipt"

Great car

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "AWD great in bad weather.Comfortable lots of power"

"Only problem has been bluetooth. Took 2 trys to get it fixed. Commute 130 miles a day now have 31000 miles on 2011. V6 engine,winter average mileage about 24. Summer average about 26. Lowest average milage for week driving was 21.2 Highest for week was 28.1. Great ride and handling love the nav and hands free. Been really great having to haul around grandkids."

Incredible family car, great value

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Best value by far in it's class. Beautiful, solid"

Cons: "none."

"This SUV has been dramatically improved in every way. It's roomy, very family friendly, and one of the only mid-sized SUVs with a usable third row seat. The seats can be arranged so all 7 of us have adequate leg space. Very quiet ride, solid feel, handles great, incredibly nice interior and electronic features. This is the best value in its class. Also a number one safety pick, so you will get a safety discount on your insurance while keeping your kids as safe as they can be."

Worst car ever.

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"I bought my 2010 journey in may of 2010 brand new. At first I loved it, but by 6 months in realized that it was just a terrible car. All the extra "perks" that you thought you'd love, you'll hate! The in dash cooling system, where your supposed to put drinks, not only doesn't keep them cool, but shakes them up as you drive. The third row seat is hard to get into, and basically impossible to when you have 2 car seats in the middle row. The third row as barely any leg room, so If you planned on adults or teens sitting back there, you can forget it. When you have your third row up, you have NO room behind it for storage of any type. When you turn your ac off in the front, it shuts off the back too. You have to have the front on for it to work any where else. Those are just some of the issues you will have if you get this car. some of the other issues I've had with my car are, my sun visors started changing colors from a tan to red, the breaks and rotors need to be replaced frequently (the breaks are actually too small for that size of a car, which causes them to heat up and warp the rotors), the DVD system stops working. When you insert a disk it freezes the system and you have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get your disk back. When your driving and apply the breaks you get a terrible shaking in your steering wheel and car. I would not reccomend this car to anyone. I talked to a cars sales man today, and he informed me that journeys are just a terrible car in general, and have one of the lowest trade in rates. I wish I would have had him as a cars sales man when I was buying the car, I definatly wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now."

Freedom and Independence again.

By on Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pros: "Fun and easy to drive."

"I'll start by saying, I came and utilized this site when I was thinking about trading in my old car (06 Cobalt, 2 dr) and getting a new one. I did much research here and had my ducks in a row when I set out to speak to the only salesperson I factually dealt with. This site gave me the ability to have facts of what my car was worth and what the worth was on a new purchase. Thank you so much. I got every dollar I asked for, for my old car. Put some money down and actually drove off in my new 2012 Journey with it being worth more than I owe. After I got the Journey home I ordered the manual and read all the information I was given on the vehicle. I chose the smaller motor as it is the same motor my old car had and I loved it for me and my needs. Broke in the vehicle as they suggested and got the oil changed at 400 miles as with any new motor, molds making metal parts. To ease my mind of any metal pieces that would be worked off of corner pieces or whatever. Then I loaded that baby down and my guy and I, with my 65lb service dog headed for Colorado. On the road I physically learned the Auto Stick and have realized since the trip of the situations in which the Auto Stick should be used and I love it. I love the Cruise Control. And perhaps I should back up a bit and mention the word Disability. In which I am Disabled with an issue that causes me great pain and with the Cruise Control. I can squirm and wiggle to new positions in the drivers seat when I need to. Absolutely love love love it. The reason I traded my old car was, it hurt me and this Journey doesn't. I used the CD and it seems that it's too sensitive as when we'd go over a bump it changed to the next song. No big deal. My other car did that when it was new and it sorted itself out and I'm hoping this one will too. But I'm not that big on playing CD's so it's not an issue. The drivers seat with the Lumbar control is absolutely awesome. When one setting is beginning to annoy me. I simply move it's position and I'm good. Love love love it. I love the "in the floor" compartments. I love the console compartment and the center compartment. I can have my GPS and other valuables with me and there not in view. I read all the reviews about the third row of seats and I'm not sure I'd agree with all the complaints. I'm not sure I'll ever need to use the third row of seats as with my Service Animal. With the third row down. I can have folks in the second row and he is belted to one of the brackets in the rear, so in between him and the second row. I can have luggage or whatever. Worked out fantastically as we brought my mother back with us and had plenty of room. Of course I did come back with more than I went with. While we were there we purchased a soft "large" Highlander case that straps to the luggage racks on top and it didn't seem to slow me down one bit. Two nights on the way back we simply slept at a rest area and headed out again at sunlight. We were so loaded we couldn't recline much but we were comfortable. Any one that has driven from the East to Western Colorado knows you have to go over the Great Divide. And we had no problems what so ever. I watched the temp gauge. Stable just under half way. So I learned that spot is the normal. Which was factually under 200 degrees. When it was chilly out. The needle dropped slightly. Going over the mountains. I was able to set the Cruise and go with the flow. If I needed to slow. I used the minus on that and decreased my speed. And the same with increasing speeds. When it was relevant to be in a lower gear, I used the Auto Stick. In which it would seem to me that 3rd and 4th actually have two gears each. Plainly apparent as I could hear the differences in the motor and see it in the tach. I didn't push it too hard and I ran under 3000 RPM going over the mountains. And when I was on the flat lands the RPM stayed just above 2000. So the difference between this Journey and my old Cobalt are minimal with regard to that. As I, last year. Made the same trip in the Cobalt. I got 29 miles to the gallon for most of the trip and with the air on, going over the mountains. Got an average of 26 mpg. I am so happy with this vehicle. But it's so new you say. How do you know you'll still love it in 5 years, you say. Simple. I'm good on vehicles and know nothing about any other vehicles but GM for a lifetime. And I have become a Dodge fan now. As for my needs now. This just may be the last vehicle I ever own. If it were going to have issues. Something would have happened. Cars have always seemed to talk to me and this one shows me I'm going to be ok. Personal opinion on maintenance. When we got back from Colorado. My mileage was slightly over 4000. The book says to have the oil changed at 6000. And that's bonkers. For a lifetime I have changed the oil in whatever, every 3000 miles or 3 months, depending on garage kept or not. And I just had the oil changed at a Dealership and they put on the sticker that I should be back for an oil change in 3000 miles. You have to have common sense on what you need a vehicle to do for you're lifestyle. And as with any large ticket item. You've got to respect it. In which this one I respect. Everyone had a great trip and we were very comfortable. The climate control. eg fan, air conditioner. The different vents on top and the separate controls work great. My guy in the front passenger seat could be cooler. And my mother in the second row could be warmer. And the dog had air on him too. There are 4 ceiling vents. Common sense would tell you. Close the one next to mom while mom has her's open. And I shut one of the vents off back where the dog was and kept the one over the dog open. On bi-level. The air ran more efficiently that way. And my mom could change her's if she choose to or I could control them all. I'm really happy I found this vehicle. It doesn't hurt me. And I actually drove it off the lot with it being worth more than I owe. I love the way it drives. I love everything about it. And as with most vehicles. Between the drivers side window and the windshield there is a blind spot. Requiring one to lean forward on left curves. The molded bump that helps the glove box light shut off when you shut the glove box, is not tall enough. But there's some little felt circle's back in the jack compartment that I've found that I stuck on that bump and now the light goes off. Those are the only negative's I've found. I'm really happy that we have Kelly Blue Book. As they help you have your ducks in a row. And that helps you approach the salesperson with the attitude they dish to you, usually. Beyond my expectations. Thank you !"

Worst Vehicle I Have Owned

By on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"I bought my Journey in May 2008 and have had it in the shop several times since then. I had a horrible groaning noise when I turned the wheel in which the service man told me that, that is normal with new vehicles, WHAT!!! Then 5 months later I get a call that there has been a recall for something to do with the power steering. I have already had to have my brakes done and got another excuse and now I have to take it in for a recall involving the braking system, HMMM!! Now I am having other issues also and my vehicle is only 6 months old."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Pros: "Appearance, comfort and accessories"

Cons: "Small 3rd row seating"

"I bought this car just over a year ago and it has about 18,000 miles on it. It is a Crossroad model - V6 6-speed tranny, pretty well loaded. I love this car. I drive it every day, to work, for leisure and on trips of 300-400 miles one way. It is very comfortable, has great features like sunroof, DC outlet in the center console, backup camera, GPS, etc. All work excellently. The V6 gives it great power for climbing hills in the mountains or passing on the road. The looks are very clean and stylish and the paint is holding up great -- very resistant to dents and scratches. The cruise control is very stable and the vehicle handles well. It is quiet and smooth, but you have to get used to the 6-speed automatic transmission - it spends a lot of time shifting up and down to keep the gas mileage up. The instrumentation is super. Digital and analog speed displays (switchable from MPH to KPH). Trip info and tire pressure readings for all four wheels are an added plus. Several innovative storage compartments under the floorboard and the passenger seat. Third row seating is cramped, but okay for the kids. Many customizable adjustments for running lights, rear climate control and other features make the SUV feel as though you designed it yourself. You can't go wrong with this vehicle - just don't skimp on the extras."

Very good car

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "great price, good service and safe"

"Bought this car in January 2010 and was in an accident three months later to the tune of over $13,000. to repair. Side air bags deployed and in my opinion saved my life but did break 3 ribs. The only expense I've had was to replace tires at 40.000. Still have original battery. It has been a great vehicle. Excellent vehicle for the price."

2012 dodge journey 3.6L 6 spd auto

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

"bought in november 2012 and love the overall performance and reliability. beat all other competitors in price and standard features. looked at mazda,toyota,ford and honda and they all came up short in amenities and priced way too high to justify wasting money on their over hyped ' value'. averaging 21.5 mpg after 3000 miles and it continues to improve. 8.4 sat radio/climate screen, LED exterior/interior lighting, 3rd row seating and ease of operation makes this vehicle a competent SUV."

Love it

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Has plenty of ports to charge personal devices"

Cons: "The AVP package lacks Bluetooth & Garage opener"

"So far I love my car! It handled like a dream runs quiet and rides great. Road trips are a awesome with this car."

overall a great car

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "driveability and comfort"

Cons: "not the greatest milage, but not too bad either"

"This car was very well designed with convienience and comfort in mind. Everything about this car is very good."

Love this car!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"This is a great car. Drives wonderful and gets good gas mileage."

the best vehicle i ever owned

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"This crossover is a very well designed vehicle. I was hit by a F350 work truck full size going between sixty and seventy mph directly into my drivers side door and although the vehicle is undriveable it held together very well. I was able to walk away from this crash with a couple scratches and bruised ribs when i clearly should have suffered much worse injuries.It is my opinion that the excellent design saved my life.I will recomend this vehicle to everyone and I will be buying another one as well.This is a very well built vehicle!!!!"

Do Not Buy The Journey!

By on Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pros: "Design is nice"

Cons: "Everything else!"

"Bought this car 5 months ago and I can't give the car away now! Bought it for $25,000 and now it's only worth about $16,000! The price-point was good, the quality was comparable to my previous car, and the reliability is excellent. The car is not comfortable at all, especially for those of you who commute or do long distance travelling (like my family). I had to literally stop every 2 hours just to get the crick out of my back from the seat. Space is adequate for a small family. Any more than 2 children and you are going to have problems. The third row seat is not useable at all. No one but toddlers can fit back there! If you are going to spend at least $25,000 for an SUV, go for the bigger ones like the Chevy Traverse or Dodge Durango. Steer clear from this mess!"

Terrible quality

By on Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Brake pads wore out after 12000 miles, brakes squealed had to replace the front rotors local Dodge dealership handed me a paper from Dodge stating that the squealing was "normal vehicle noises" . Front end vibrates when braking at freeway speed. Sluggish motor for a 6 cylinder. Can't keep the front end aligned. Terrible leg room in back seats. Sorry I bought it. First Dodge I have owned at it will be the last one. Don't make my mistake...don't buy this car and be cautious buying a Dodge product"

Engine and Transmission

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pros: "Power, storage space, comfort"

Cons: "Transmission, shifting"

"I have the SXT model with the 3.6L V6. Generally, I like the car with the roominess, flexibility, comfort of the ride and ability to get in and out of tight spaces. While the engine has significant power, it also has significant torque steering when you get on the gas. As long as you know it's coming, you'll be OK. My complaint is about the transmission. It's the 6 speed and it is crazy, all over the place as to what gear you're in. You will be doing 30 mph and you're in 6th gear. It shifts rough, it shifts oddly and this is after having it into the dealer for computer updates and new software downloads. There is nothing smooth about the transmission of this car. Which leads me to worry about the long term reliability as my mileage increases."

2009 Journey SXT AWD

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "SUV capabilities with low gas milage"

Cons: "not a true 7 seater"

"I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey with 31k miles and have driven about 30k miles with this vehicle since its purchase. So far, this vehicle has been great for me! From the reviews i have read, most people who have problems with the Journey use the base SE model (V4 with 173 HP). Most reviews for the SXT AWD (V6 with 235HP)version are positive and i concur completely. I live in Chicago and AWD is a must. No problems in snow thus far but it doesnt compare to the Durango i owned before this Journey. The interior has ridiculous amounts of hidden storage (under the seats, in the floor boards, 2 dashboards). GAS MPG has been consistent at 17city, 22 HWY."

2013 SXT

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "excellent acceleration/handling"

"Not familiar with car when I first saw it on lot. Researched it and test drove it and felt it was a good vehicle to consider. Bought SXT Model. Really happy with city/freeway combined fuel milage of about 24 being typical. Really nice acceleration and handling with smooth shifting. Nice backseat comfort for passengers and i like the drivers front seat room and comfort. Plenty of storage space in rear with third row seats being adequate for grandkid. Would never consider the 4 cyl. engine. Great on highway, plenty of acceleration and great handling. Sound system is great. Uconnect is really nice feature for hands free, works like a champ. Would consider this model again when buying a new car."

Top Safety Pick, Best Value, Roomiest in its class

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "Safety, Dependability, Roomyness, Value"

"FIrst of all, according to Consumer Reports, Chrysler is by far the most reliable American made brand, coming in far ahead of GM and Ford. Second of all, this car is one of the only mid-sized SUVs to be chosen as a IIHS Top Safety Pick. These two attributes are the most important ones when choosing a family car. Thirdly, this SUV is the roomiest, most spacious mid-sized SUV, another very important attribute for families. It's a very good SUV, and I got mine around 4K less than a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, etc. Plus my Journey holds 7 people quite well whereas none of the others could come close. You could put an infant in some of the others 3rd row seat but that's about all. This SUV is best in class, very safe, very roomy, very dependable."