2009 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 399 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

7.2/10
    7.0/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

"I own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD that has been nothing less than miraculous. I heard a lot of horror stories about the Journey but I got a price I couldn't pass up. The most "unreliable"vehicle now is approaching 100000 miles without any signs of stopping. I have had ZERO problems with it including the brakes. The 3.5 still runs like new and never uses a drop of oil. The A/C still blows Ice Cold and there is absolutely no squeeks or rattles to be heard. The AWD system is excellent, the week I bought it I drove through a nasty blizzard; when traffic came to a standstill, nobody could make it up a very steep hill. I attempted to climb the hill and the Journey kept digging and I was one of four cars to make it to the top (A Subaru, Grand Cherokee, and a Pacifica.) I average 22 mpg which I find acceptable. My new job will require me to do even more driving (60000 a year) and I will probably be buying a new car. The Journey is staying with me as well, I plan on keeping it until it dies. I will be buying a new Durango within the next 6 months. I've had very good luck with Chrysler products and they have won a customer for life."

great little car!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "nice ride"

Cons: "cup holders alittle low"

"I take this car to alot of football games and love the room with back seat down. Got the car loaded and I don't have the highway noise!"

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pros: "room and many little storage areas inside"

Cons: "the very back does not have the room of a mini van"

"I think that this is a great car, a great buy and it gives you a lot of room if you have a big family without looking like you are in a minivan. It has many extra feature to hide things and even in the back you really don't feel cramped. I was pleasantly surprised. I was all set to purchase a Toyota Highlander and the Dodge Journey won me over and was much cheaper."

Love It!

By on Monday, May 31, 2010

"I bought my Journey a year ago and love it. We live in the country and were unable to get out of our driveway in the past when we got snow unless it was plowed. This past year my AWD Journey made it right out. I am extremely happy with the vehicle, I use synthetic oil in it and get 20 mpg city and 23.5 highway. I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I am dissatisfied with is the interior lights. I have UConnect and as a result halogen lights are required and they do not illuminate the vehicle very well. Also there are floor lights that I find to be very annoying when driving at night. (I am unable to shut these off unless I want the dash to be dimmed.)"

For a brand new vehical under 25K, This has got to

By on Monday, June 6, 2016

Pros: "Fantastic Price and handels easily."

Cons: "No tow package or auto-start"

"Bought the Dodge Journey SXT because of the 7 person seating. It turns out it is one of the best "Compact" SUVs out there. Handling is a dream and seats are comfortable. With the satellite radio, makes the long drives effortless.Pulled an 1100 mile drive and did not hurt afterwards. Mileage is extremely under-rated. With the fuel economy center on the dash, I was easily making 28-32 mpg. Quick response and breaking. Down Side, No tow package available, Did not come with auto start package, No heated seats. All minor considering this is a "Under 25K" Vehicle."

Cheapest 7 seater SUV with a lot of cargo space

By on Thursday, June 2, 2016

Reason: Upgrade to Journey Crossroad PLUS

Pros: "Great price. Fun to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I love my 2013 Dodge Journey SE 2.4L engine with 3rd row seat + bluetooth option. Original MSRP was 25k+. But dealer discounts and rebates brought the price down to $18k. This was the only 7seater SUV that was under $20k at that time. AS my annual driving distance was 6500miles, the poor gas mileage was not a huge problem for me. When I was in the Hwy, average mpg was 29-30. When I drove in the city, average mpg was very poor (16-19). However, the ride was very smooth and I love the huge cargo space. Whenever I need to buy stuff from IKEA or HOMEDEPOT, I didn't rent big trucks. For Journey SE model, LCD screen was 4.3inch. It didn't have navigation or backup camera. Recently, I thought of upgrading the screen to 8.4inch to include navigation. That upgrade would cost $2k+. So I went to the same dealer to look for a Dodge Journey with a navigation and back up camera. At that time, I traded in 2013 Journey SE for $12.5k. So for three years my basic cost for 2013 Journey SE was $5.5k($18k-$12.5k) + sales tax. It is better than leasing. This time, I purchased 2016 Dodge Journey CROSSROAD PLUS. It came with 3.6 VVT engine and 8.4 screen with navigation, backup camera and backup sensors. In addition, it has leather heated seats, heated steering wheel, 5year subscription to SIRIUS and hands free phone option. The MRSP of the vehicle was $33k. After dealer discount and manufacturer rebates, I paid $23k+sales tax (May 2016). As this model has a 3.6VVT engine, I feel the difference. I wish I had purchased SE or SXT with 3.6 engine before. Anyways, I didn't see a significant mpg drop for this big engine. In my 200mile long trip I got 29mpg in Hwy and 16-18mpg in city roads. If your annual driving distance is less than $10000 miles, buy a Dodge Journey and save money."

By on Thursday, March 4, 2010

"This car is an absolute joy to drive. The power of the 3.5L engine is wonderful! The car is comfy to sit in. Better interior would be appreciated, but looking at all the competitors everyone uses too much hard plastic. Great ground clearance. Only went to a dealer to have the oil changed, everything else is solid and well built."

Excellant vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 13, 2009

"I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. Good on gas mileage drives nice. my husband and i were looking around last year (2008) for a new vehicle test drove Chevy Equinox and the Buick Enclave cept on coming back to the Dodge Journey. We bought the R/T with evertyihng in it my husband and I love it."

By on Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Ours is the R/T model with most options. The ride is great. I can drive it for hours & not get sleepy as with all other vechicles I've owned. I attribute that to the seat design. This baby is all wheel drive and it gets 24 to 26 MPG on the highway. Yes a lot of the interior trim is plastic but so is most other brands. We have the leather seats. Don't get the 3rd row seat model unless you have small children. It is a small seating area."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Great Value"

"This car is great for a family and driving kids around. With the third row seat it is very versatile. Good power and decent gas mileage."

Nothing comes close

By on Friday, January 7, 2011

"We love our Journey SXT. This car meets or beats every one in this class. This is definitely aimed at every age. The ride is much better than the new Chevy Equinox. All the little touches make it the best car we have ever owned."

Not happy

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"The most troublesome factor is the upholstery fabric, have already had front and back replaced. Even water leaves stains even after Scotchgard. Labeling over key slot is coming off. The soda can cooler is a joke, I had 2 cans of pop explode in there. I miss a digital compass and keyless entry remote. We have had lots of Dodges, but I will not purchase a Journey again."

good but had to go

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"did not have many problems with the car , it went in the dealer for computer glitch got fixed worked better, everything was fine with the the car but it had to go resale value is not good at all paid 21,000 for sxt they only wanted to give 14,500 after only 8 months would recommend too. all and all really decent but make sure ur gonna keep it for at least 3 yrs . go for Sxt same as RT but cheaper and little less crome"

Love Our Journey SXT

By on Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"We bought this in April to replace a Lemon 99 Taurus. And we just love every thing about it. Except my wife isn't 100% happy about the seats, she thinks they are a little to stiff. We took it on a trip to Florida from Ohio and it performed just fine for having 4 adults and 1 child plus a ton of luggage and a roof top carrier. The rear DVD came in very handy to make the back seat riders happy and the driver(me) very happy. And the back-up camera is also a very wonderful thing also. I would recommend this to everyone. The Dealership was also Great."

Very Stylish with out the mini van look

By on Sunday, July 6, 2008

"Me and my wife just got our journey and we LOVE it. It is a great car looks very sharp andhas plenty of room for our 2 kids. GREAT car.."

Best crossover ever

By on Monday, December 7, 2009

"This is the best crossover I've ever driven. We use to have a Caliber and loved it as well, but as our family grew we needed something larger and the Dodge Journey is perfect. Great handling (specially in the snowy hills of Eastern Iowa). Good gas mileage (averaged 26 mpg on two separate 2000+ mile trips). Would recommend the SXT or R/T over the SE as the larger engine comes in handy in hilly conditions."

better than minivan

By on Friday, March 27, 2009

"i bought this car for my wife, and she loves it more with every passing day. its acceleration is fenaminal and it has a much better ride than our 2007 grand caravan. the only complaint i have is the center counsil where the raidio is, i'm 6'5" and my knee sterts to hurt after a long drive. other than that it is the best value for a cross over type car. we bought it for ten thousand less than the ford or g.m."

Love it!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Lots of car for the money, very comfortable seats!"

Cons: "Some of the plastic in the interior feels cheap."

"I love everything about this vehicle, it's so much car for the money! I most enjoy the way it drives, very smooth gear shifting, you don't even feel it. For such a large vehicle i'm pleased with the gas mileage, we get about 19mpg around town with all the stop and go. Also the seats are extremely comfortable, great for long trips! We are truly loving this vehicle and plan to keep it for a very long time!"

Don't Buy Dodge Journey

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I'll start with the positives because there are a few, but not enough to warrant a recommendation to buy. It drives nicely, it has a cool entertainment system. It's cute and has lots of fun features. It is quiet and has get up and go. Roomy, however, 7 people do not fit comfortably despite seating for 7. Now for the bad news. The gas mileage blows and is no where near what is stated. I average 12-13 city. My sister's Tahoe gets better gas mileage. Brakes - there is a serious issue with the brakes on this vehicle. You can google it and find countless stories. I had to replace my pads and rotors at 9900 miles - yes, you read that right, less than 10k miles. Engine - I had to have the rocker assemblies replaced because they were worn. This was also done at 9900 miles. Seems a little early in the game for that kind of wear. I too hear the werid grinding noise when turning left, not sure what it is. Electrical - the power window on the passenger side never functioned properly. It stops mid-way when rolling up and you have to let go of the window controler and press it over and over to get the window full rolled up. The dash board lights turn off and back on when turning off the wiper blades. Normal according to my dealership. Interior - I have lovely piece of trim that keeps falling off. The dealership has ordered a new one. This is my first non GM vehicle and definitely my last. Very sad I bought it and very scared what repairs await me in the future. DON'T BUY!"

Very Nice Value

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, features, build quality, 3rd row"

Cons: "exterior look - more Caravan than Durango"

"The Dodge Journey is the best value in it's category. I shopped around, and the amount of features for the $$ was unbeatable with the Journey. The V6 is a phenomenal engine with great power coupled with a smooth 6 speed trans. We don't use the 3rd row often, but it is a fantastic option to have available. I was never a Dodge fan, but I have been impressed with the quality and feel of the Journey. This may seem insignificant, but I like it when i close my car door and the vehicle feels solid. We have had no reliability issues just at 1 year of owennership! I have recommended this vehicle to my friends and family and look forward to purchasing a Durango in the near future."

Can't stand this Vehicle

By on Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "to many to mention."

"I have had nothing but problems since the Journey was 2 years old. Most problems are not covered by warranty and I will never own another Dodge. Rotors and Brakes replaced 3 times. Parts for this Vehicle are so expensive no matter what it is."

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

A very comfortable multi purpose vehicle

By on Saturday, October 17, 2015

Pros: "a lot of car for the money"

Cons: "four cylinder is reliable but needs a little more"

"Love my Journey! Very comfortable multi purpose vehicle. Great for people moving or for hauling supplies & my multi media equipment. The only detractor is that my four cylinder four speed is a little sluggish. But not so much as to take away from the great value of this car. You get a lot of room, comfort and smooth road manners for not much money when compared with some others I considered."

Great car for price

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Space and a people mover"

Cons: "A little underpowered"

"I own a base model with a 4 cylinder. Great Mileage Mixed driving highway rural and some city. Car still looks like new except for recall on breaks and key fob all I had to do is put a set of tires on this vehicle and a rock pierced the radiator. Just had a trans service done as recommened and the car runs like it did the first day. 3,000 mile oil changes and two gas treatments. This car has a lot of space and can handle 4 300 pund adults with ease. I do travel ball with my daughter, Ohio, Penn,Jersey, Kentucky- never missed a beat."

WORST VEHICLE I HAVE DRIVEN

By on Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pros: "storage"

Cons: "everything else"

"I bought my 2009 Journey brand new in July of 2009. I have had several problems with it ever since. Around 15,000 miles, my engine light came on and anytime I got over 60 MPH, the car would shake terribly. I took it to the dealership and sat there for 3.5 hours for them to tell me there was nothing wrong with my car. Around 20,000 miles, my brakes had to be replaced. After reading the rest of the reviews on here, I am actually glad to know its not just me nor my driving. Now, I am at close to 37,000 miles and here is a list of things currently wrong: the lock on my front passenger door will NOT work ( i have to manually pull the lock up myself from inside), the cruise decides to work at its own convenience, need new brake pads again,the paint is chipping terribly, and the tires need to be replaced. This would be ok if we could find the tires at all. I have the 19 inch rims and the tires are IMPOSSIBLE to find ANYWHERE. No dealership within 75 miles of me has them or can order them. They are also super expensive. We are actually having to purchase a different size tire just for me to have a tire! I do NOT recommend this vehicle. We are in the process of finding me a new car and trading this lemon in. HATE IT!"