2009 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 380 Ratings for the 2009 - 2016 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.1/10

LOVE IT

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Good Price, Fun, Comfortable, Space, Inside design"

Cons: "Back gets dirty and rear wiper obstructs view."

"Bought this car in November 2011 and I love it. I have a Journey SE. Taken it on 2 long road trips and it is comfortable. The car came standard with a touch screen radio. I wish the passenger seat could move up and down like the driver seat and that there were a gas cap that would open from the inside. I bought a locking cap for the tank and we were 300 miles away from home and we needed gas and I forgot the key at home for the gas cap so we needed a locksmith to pick it open."

I'm sorry I bought this car

By on Friday, July 17, 2009

"I purchased this car about less than 6 months ago. I have been in the shop with it 4 out of the 6 months that I have had this Journey. I am so disappointed with this car and I would never reccommend this vehicle to anyone."

Very good car

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "great price, good service and safe"

"Bought this car in January 2010 and was in an accident three months later to the tune of over $13,000. to repair. Side air bags deployed and in my opinion saved my life but did break 3 ribs. The only expense I've had was to replace tires at 40.000. Still have original battery. It has been a great vehicle. Excellent vehicle for the price."

2012 dodge journey 3.6L 6 spd auto

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

"bought in november 2012 and love the overall performance and reliability. beat all other competitors in price and standard features. looked at mazda,toyota,ford and honda and they all came up short in amenities and priced way too high to justify wasting money on their over hyped ' value'. averaging 21.5 mpg after 3000 miles and it continues to improve. 8.4 sat radio/climate screen, LED exterior/interior lighting, 3rd row seating and ease of operation makes this vehicle a competent SUV."

Love it

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Has plenty of ports to charge personal devices"

Cons: "The AVP package lacks Bluetooth & Garage opener"

"So far I love my car! It handled like a dream runs quiet and rides great. Road trips are a awesome with this car."

overall a great car

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "driveability and comfort"

Cons: "not the greatest milage, but not too bad either"

"This car was very well designed with convienience and comfort in mind. Everything about this car is very good."

Love this car!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"This is a great car. Drives wonderful and gets good gas mileage."

the best vehicle i ever owned

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"This crossover is a very well designed vehicle. I was hit by a F350 work truck full size going between sixty and seventy mph directly into my drivers side door and although the vehicle is undriveable it held together very well. I was able to walk away from this crash with a couple scratches and bruised ribs when i clearly should have suffered much worse injuries.It is my opinion that the excellent design saved my life.I will recomend this vehicle to everyone and I will be buying another one as well.This is a very well built vehicle!!!!"

Do Not Buy The Journey!

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Pros: "Design is nice"

Cons: "Everything else!"

"Bought this car 5 months ago and I can't give the car away now! Bought it for $25,000 and now it's only worth about $16,000! The price-point was good, the quality was comparable to my previous car, and the reliability is excellent. The car is not comfortable at all, especially for those of you who commute or do long distance travelling (like my family). I had to literally stop every 2 hours just to get the crick out of my back from the seat. Space is adequate for a small family. Any more than 2 children and you are going to have problems. The third row seat is not useable at all. No one but toddlers can fit back there! If you are going to spend at least $25,000 for an SUV, go for the bigger ones like the Chevy Traverse or Dodge Durango. Steer clear from this mess!"

Engine and Transmission

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Power, storage space, comfort"

Cons: "Transmission, shifting"

"I have the SXT model with the 3.6L V6. Generally, I like the car with the roominess, flexibility, comfort of the ride and ability to get in and out of tight spaces. While the engine has significant power, it also has significant torque steering when you get on the gas. As long as you know it's coming, you'll be OK. My complaint is about the transmission. It's the 6 speed and it is crazy, all over the place as to what gear you're in. You will be doing 30 mph and you're in 6th gear. It shifts rough, it shifts oddly and this is after having it into the dealer for computer updates and new software downloads. There is nothing smooth about the transmission of this car. Which leads me to worry about the long term reliability as my mileage increases."

Not the best family car

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sporty, hidden storage"

Cons: "No room for passengers or luggage"

"Although the Journey seats 7, there really isn't much room for passengers, even my small children. My average- sized Kindergartner doesn't have enough leg room in the third row. The seats are narrow and do not provide enough room for child car seats or even booster seats. I have taken it on a number of roadtrips, and there just isn't room for passengers and luggage. When the third row is up the trunk space is minimal. I have to put the seats down to make room for my groceries. Additionally, the seats are not comfortable for long drives. Like many other reviewers, I frequently have had battery-related issues with this vehicle, even with new batteries. The blind spots are rather large as well. While it is fun to drive, this will be my last Journey. I'm upgrading to a real family car...a minivan"

2009 Journey SXT AWD

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "SUV capabilities with low gas milage"

Cons: "not a true 7 seater"

"I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey with 31k miles and have driven about 30k miles with this vehicle since its purchase. So far, this vehicle has been great for me! From the reviews i have read, most people who have problems with the Journey use the base SE model (V4 with 173 HP). Most reviews for the SXT AWD (V6 with 235HP)version are positive and i concur completely. I live in Chicago and AWD is a must. No problems in snow thus far but it doesnt compare to the Durango i owned before this Journey. The interior has ridiculous amounts of hidden storage (under the seats, in the floor boards, 2 dashboards). GAS MPG has been consistent at 17city, 22 HWY."

2013 SXT

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "excellent acceleration/handling"

"Not familiar with car when I first saw it on lot. Researched it and test drove it and felt it was a good vehicle to consider. Bought SXT Model. Really happy with city/freeway combined fuel milage of about 24 being typical. Really nice acceleration and handling with smooth shifting. Nice backseat comfort for passengers and i like the drivers front seat room and comfort. Plenty of storage space in rear with third row seats being adequate for grandkid. Would never consider the 4 cyl. engine. Great on highway, plenty of acceleration and great handling. Sound system is great. Uconnect is really nice feature for hands free, works like a champ. Would consider this model again when buying a new car."

Top Safety Pick, Best Value, Roomiest in its class

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "Safety, Dependability, Roomyness, Value"

"FIrst of all, according to Consumer Reports, Chrysler is by far the most reliable American made brand, coming in far ahead of GM and Ford. Second of all, this car is one of the only mid-sized SUVs to be chosen as a IIHS Top Safety Pick. These two attributes are the most important ones when choosing a family car. Thirdly, this SUV is the roomiest, most spacious mid-sized SUV, another very important attribute for families. It's a very good SUV, and I got mine around 4K less than a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, etc. Plus my Journey holds 7 people quite well whereas none of the others could come close. You could put an infant in some of the others 3rd row seat but that's about all. This SUV is best in class, very safe, very roomy, very dependable."

very nice vehicle

By on Friday, March 11, 2011

"Have been very pleased with journey, everyone crying about the brakes, changed my brakes at 24,000, did they ever consider their driving style. Got 27 mpg highway at 70mph on a road trip,and between 16 and 18 city, and we dont baby it, Wife loves this vehicle."

Terrible quality

By on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

"Brake pads wore out after 12000 miles, brakes squealed had to replace the front rotors local Dodge dealership handed me a paper from Dodge stating that the squealing was "normal vehicle noises" . Front end vibrates when braking at freeway speed. Sluggish motor for a 6 cylinder. Can't keep the front end aligned. Terrible leg room in back seats. Sorry I bought it. First Dodge I have owned at it will be the last one. Don't make my mistake...don't buy this car and be cautious buying a Dodge product"

Too many trips to the service department

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "seats 5 adults 2 kids, lots of storage bins"

Cons: "Too many problems to list in 50 characters"

"I bought this vehicle new at the end of 2008, traded my 4X4 Ford Explorer for more seating and better gas mileage. Purchased a special "bumper to bumper as long as you own the car" maintenance plan. In 2009 windshield washer hosing had to be replaced (warranty covered it), also changed all four break pads and front rotors and all four 19" (only one manufacture sells this type at $1,100 a set)tires. In 2010 engine bolts broke, not covered by "bumper to bumper" plan; also replaced on set of tires and front break pads. In 2011, passenger side heat stopped working, not covered by plan, was reimbursed by dodge for one early break replacement after providing copies of receipts and filling out paperwork. In 2012, needed another set of 19" expensive tires, so instead used taxes and bought four 18" rims and tires for $1,100. This year, ERG sensor out (something to do with exhaust system) not covered by plan. I spend approximately 50% of my driving time on the highway for about 6 - 12 miles a day, and the rest is in and around town, I live about a mile down a well maintained dirt road. I don't drive it in the snow, because it has absolutely no traction, tires will spin at an intersection after it rains. What I might have saved in fuel costs, I have doubled in maintenance that dodge said was not covered. I get routine oil changes and lubes. I have had enough of dodge."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, August 06, 2015

Pros: "Good price and great ride"

"I purchased my 2009 SXT Dec. 08. Other then water pump replaced under warranty and routine maintenance ( brakes, wipers and tires), this has been a great ride. I will purchasing a 2015 Journey Crossroad this week and my daughter will take over the 09."

Solid car, happy with choice

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, attractive"

Cons: "Backseat leg room, lack of passenger power seat"

"Note: Our previous car was a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica which we loved. If Pacifica was still being made, we probably would have bought another. It spoiled us with it's roominess and general comfort as well as both driver and passenger power seats which were on the base model. It was also very reliable. Okay, time to move on to our Dodge Journey: I own the 6cyl. SXT model with 3rd row seat. I love the acceleration ability, general comfort and smooth ride. Fuel economy is okay - seems like I have to fill pretty often but the electronic fuel econ. usually reads in the 21-23 range. Cons: Lacking in rear leg room compared to our previous crossover. No power seat for passenger. Salespeople at numerous dealerships are very confused about what Uconnect/Bluetooth/handsfree really mean. Please research before purchasing. Pros: Attractive car, really good engine in 6cyl model, like the flex seating w/3rd row when needed. LOVED all the cubbies and storage when first viewed the car, but ironically hardly ever use them."

very nice vehicle inside and out

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "good price"

Cons: "steering and pricey specialized tires!"

"Nice vehicle in and out. Love the hidden compartments. Pricey specialized 19.5 inch tires must be special ordered. Only complaint is that the vehicle steers like a tank and it floats going down the road. Got a lifetime front end alignment at Firestone and it didnt seem to help. Guess I will upgrade the shocks. Besides that, it is a nice vehicle!"

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "Price, Room, amenities, styling"

Cons: "Battery location, a few blind spots"

"Probably one of the best cross overs on the market right now. All the bugs from the older models have been ironed out with the 2013. Love the 8 inch uconnect screen and individual climate control, sat radio. Had the Leather Seating added at the dealer with no problems. Fit and finish are as good as any on the market right now. Rides stiffer than the Grand Cherokee it replaced but not a big complaint about that. Got the SXT with the 3rd row and have not had any issues with that. Loads of cargo room in the back, 4 power ports through out. We got the 2.4 straight 4 and although its not a deamon on the starts. it does get the job done and will easily cary a full load of passengers and stuff in the back. The only bad thing I have found so far it the location of the battery, which is buried deep in the left hand side of the engine bay. Will take some time to replace when that time comes. LED interior lighting is very nice and plentiful. Over all a good deal for what you get."

Never again

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Nice ride and roomy cargo area."

Cons: "Everything started to go at 45,000 miles"

"Liked the journey till the transfer case went out at 48,000 miles. Still waiting for the part. It been 6 weeks wrote to Chrysler and am on a waiting list. 6 to 8 weeks for a part. Tires were hard to find also and very expensive."

Price is great!!

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Great Price"

Cons: "Serious Blind spots"

"The price is great for what you get but this car has some serious blind spots. You have to be extra careful when getting over. Lots of storage space. Back seats are ajustable. Extra Floor storage for toys."

stay away

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reason: everything

Pros: "Reasonable space. Great stereo & roof racks"

Cons: "too many problems - gas hog!"

"Bought a new 2009 sxt and it was fine for about 20,000 miles. We bought it mostly for the third row bench. In the next 60,000 miles here were the problems: -two completely new sets of brakes required. Needs new ones now. -transmission bumping/rough and likely to go out soon. -can't roll down front windows or use power mirrors. Wiring harness is bad. -compartment above rear view mirror would not stay shut even after being replaced. -horrible gas mileage. about 20 on the highway! -uncomfortable seats -coolant reservoir sprung a leak and fountained over the engine. -second row bench seats hard to fold down and maneuver. -occasionally the key doesn't work and engine won't start. -horrible and dangerous lack of space for proper vision through the windows. It is so hard to see other vehicles. The worst when backing up. -paint peeled badly off of both mirrors within 30K We took care of the car and performed regular maintenance."

Not worth the cost!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Front seats are comfortable"

Cons: "Nonworking rear air"

"Bought the Journey Mainstreet in March of 2011. Felt it was not a bad car for the price at first. Did notice no inside release for the gas cap and once started driving others around realized the third seat is only good for little kids. There is no leg room and when the seats are up it is harder to see out of the rear mirror. The middle seats do not move correctly to allow for someone to get into the back so they must climb in. Right off started having problems with the rear air until it got to the point where it would not turn on at all. Dodge has supposedly fixed the problem but it keeps happening. It is hard to drive with the heat and no air getting to the kids in the back. The mpg is not close to what is stated for the V6. The car has lost so much value that I can not do anything with it."