2009 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 379 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.1/10

By on Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not happy

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"The most troublesome factor is the upholstery fabric, have already had front and back replaced. Even water leaves stains even after Scotchgard. Labeling over key slot is coming off. The soda can cooler is a joke, I had 2 cans of pop explode in there. I miss a digital compass and keyless entry remote. We have had lots of Dodges, but I will not purchase a Journey again."

good but had to go

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"did not have many problems with the car , it went in the dealer for computer glitch got fixed worked better, everything was fine with the the car but it had to go resale value is not good at all paid 21,000 for sxt they only wanted to give 14,500 after only 8 months would recommend too. all and all really decent but make sure ur gonna keep it for at least 3 yrs . go for Sxt same as RT but cheaper and little less crome"

Love Our Journey SXT

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"We bought this in April to replace a Lemon 99 Taurus. And we just love every thing about it. Except my wife isn't 100% happy about the seats, she thinks they are a little to stiff. We took it on a trip to Florida from Ohio and it performed just fine for having 4 adults and 1 child plus a ton of luggage and a roof top carrier. The rear DVD came in very handy to make the back seat riders happy and the driver(me) very happy. And the back-up camera is also a very wonderful thing also. I would recommend this to everyone. The Dealership was also Great."

Journey is a good buy!

By on Saturday, August 02, 2008

"I have had my Journey for 6 months now, with no problems. I have put almost 8,000 miles on it and have only had it in for oil changes. I love the look of it. Plenty of room on the inside, like a mini-van, without the depressing look of driving around in a van! I have the SXT model. Lots of features. The manual shift option is nice, but with the 6 speed transmission it gets hung up a little in the lower gears. Plus, the reaction time when trying to accelerate in the lower gears is a little too slow for me. But, overall, I'm happy with it! After all, it is a crossover, not a sports car!"

its not a JEEP

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"After driving a Grand Cherokee for three years, at first I felt like I had traded down. Yeah it has features the Jeep doesn't but couldnt they have figured out how to put the hangers for dry cleaning on the right way? OR how about the mickeymouse way the 6 speed goes into first at a stop? OR the antiquated way of checking how many miles youve driven on the current tank. Speaking of which. I can get upwards of 30 MPG in 6th gear with the cruise on 70! (the Jeep didnt even come close!) It actually rides pretty smooth and looks kinda sharp (if you like that sort of thing) Im hopeful that in snow I go with the same confidence Ive had for the last few winters. We'll see."

Very Stylish with out the mini van look

By on Sunday, July 06, 2008

"Me and my wife just got our journey and we LOVE it. It is a great car looks very sharp andhas plenty of room for our 2 kids. GREAT car.."

Good buy for the money

By on Thursday, May 08, 2008

"Athough Ihave owned my Journey for only 2 months and only out just under 2000 miles on it i have had it at the Dodge Service Department 3 times... twice for the break light on the dash being on and the first time they replaced the thing the tells if the break fluid is low and the second time it was also the break light they didnt fix the problem this time they changed out the computer and said if was bad...also the key bottons stoped working and they had to replace the battery... for a 2009 new car it has been a big pain in the you know what! But other than the problems I think is drives nice and has tons of storage!"

Best crossover ever

By on Monday, December 07, 2009

"This is the best crossover I've ever driven. We use to have a Caliber and loved it as well, but as our family grew we needed something larger and the Dodge Journey is perfect. Great handling (specially in the snowy hills of Eastern Iowa). Good gas mileage (averaged 26 mpg on two separate 2000+ mile trips). Would recommend the SXT or R/T over the SE as the larger engine comes in handy in hilly conditions."

Worst car ever.

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

"I bought my 2010 journey in may of 2010 brand new. At first I loved it, but by 6 months in realized that it was just a terrible car. All the extra "perks" that you thought you'd love, you'll hate! The in dash cooling system, where your supposed to put drinks, not only doesn't keep them cool, but shakes them up as you drive. The third row seat is hard to get into, and basically impossible to when you have 2 car seats in the middle row. The third row as barely any leg room, so If you planned on adults or teens sitting back there, you can forget it. When you have your third row up, you have NO room behind it for storage of any type. When you turn your ac off in the front, it shuts off the back too. You have to have the front on for it to work any where else. Those are just some of the issues you will have if you get this car. some of the other issues I've had with my car are, my sun visors started changing colors from a tan to red, the breaks and rotors need to be replaced frequently (the breaks are actually too small for that size of a car, which causes them to heat up and warp the rotors), the DVD system stops working. When you insert a disk it freezes the system and you have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get your disk back. When your driving and apply the breaks you get a terrible shaking in your steering wheel and car. I would not reccomend this car to anyone. I talked to a cars sales man today, and he informed me that journeys are just a terrible car in general, and have one of the lowest trade in rates. I wish I would have had him as a cars sales man when I was buying the car, I definatly wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now."

better than minivan

By on Friday, March 27, 2009

"i bought this car for my wife, and she loves it more with every passing day. its acceleration is fenaminal and it has a much better ride than our 2007 grand caravan. the only complaint i have is the center counsil where the raidio is, i'm 6'5" and my knee sterts to hurt after a long drive. other than that it is the best value for a cross over type car. we bought it for ten thousand less than the ford or g.m."

Love it!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Lots of car for the money, very comfortable seats!"

Cons: "Some of the plastic in the interior feels cheap."

"I love everything about this vehicle, it's so much car for the money! I most enjoy the way it drives, very smooth gear shifting, you don't even feel it. For such a large vehicle i'm pleased with the gas mileage, we get about 19mpg around town with all the stop and go. Also the seats are extremely comfortable, great for long trips! We are truly loving this vehicle and plan to keep it for a very long time!"

Don't Buy Dodge Journey

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I'll start with the positives because there are a few, but not enough to warrant a recommendation to buy. It drives nicely, it has a cool entertainment system. It's cute and has lots of fun features. It is quiet and has get up and go. Roomy, however, 7 people do not fit comfortably despite seating for 7. Now for the bad news. The gas mileage blows and is no where near what is stated. I average 12-13 city. My sister's Tahoe gets better gas mileage. Brakes - there is a serious issue with the brakes on this vehicle. You can google it and find countless stories. I had to replace my pads and rotors at 9900 miles - yes, you read that right, less than 10k miles. Engine - I had to have the rocker assemblies replaced because they were worn. This was also done at 9900 miles. Seems a little early in the game for that kind of wear. I too hear the werid grinding noise when turning left, not sure what it is. Electrical - the power window on the passenger side never functioned properly. It stops mid-way when rolling up and you have to let go of the window controler and press it over and over to get the window full rolled up. The dash board lights turn off and back on when turning off the wiper blades. Normal according to my dealership. Interior - I have lovely piece of trim that keeps falling off. The dealership has ordered a new one. This is my first non GM vehicle and definitely my last. Very sad I bought it and very scared what repairs await me in the future. DON'T BUY!"

Very Nice Value

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, features, build quality, 3rd row"

Cons: "exterior look - more Caravan than Durango"

"The Dodge Journey is the best value in it's category. I shopped around, and the amount of features for the $$ was unbeatable with the Journey. The V6 is a phenomenal engine with great power coupled with a smooth 6 speed trans. We don't use the 3rd row often, but it is a fantastic option to have available. I was never a Dodge fan, but I have been impressed with the quality and feel of the Journey. This may seem insignificant, but I like it when i close my car door and the vehicle feels solid. We have had no reliability issues just at 1 year of owennership! I have recommended this vehicle to my friends and family and look forward to purchasing a Durango in the near future."

Freedom and Independence again.

By on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Pros: "Fun and easy to drive."

"I'll start by saying, I came and utilized this site when I was thinking about trading in my old car (06 Cobalt, 2 dr) and getting a new one. I did much research here and had my ducks in a row when I set out to speak to the only salesperson I factually dealt with. This site gave me the ability to have facts of what my car was worth and what the worth was on a new purchase. Thank you so much. I got every dollar I asked for, for my old car. Put some money down and actually drove off in my new 2012 Journey with it being worth more than I owe. After I got the Journey home I ordered the manual and read all the information I was given on the vehicle. I chose the smaller motor as it is the same motor my old car had and I loved it for me and my needs. Broke in the vehicle as they suggested and got the oil changed at 400 miles as with any new motor, molds making metal parts. To ease my mind of any metal pieces that would be worked off of corner pieces or whatever. Then I loaded that baby down and my guy and I, with my 65lb service dog headed for Colorado. On the road I physically learned the Auto Stick and have realized since the trip of the situations in which the Auto Stick should be used and I love it. I love the Cruise Control. And perhaps I should back up a bit and mention the word Disability. In which I am Disabled with an issue that causes me great pain and with the Cruise Control. I can squirm and wiggle to new positions in the drivers seat when I need to. Absolutely love love love it. The reason I traded my old car was, it hurt me and this Journey doesn't. I used the CD and it seems that it's too sensitive as when we'd go over a bump it changed to the next song. No big deal. My other car did that when it was new and it sorted itself out and I'm hoping this one will too. But I'm not that big on playing CD's so it's not an issue. The drivers seat with the Lumbar control is absolutely awesome. When one setting is beginning to annoy me. I simply move it's position and I'm good. Love love love it. I love the "in the floor" compartments. I love the console compartment and the center compartment. I can have my GPS and other valuables with me and there not in view. I read all the reviews about the third row of seats and I'm not sure I'd agree with all the complaints. I'm not sure I'll ever need to use the third row of seats as with my Service Animal. With the third row down. I can have folks in the second row and he is belted to one of the brackets in the rear, so in between him and the second row. I can have luggage or whatever. Worked out fantastically as we brought my mother back with us and had plenty of room. Of course I did come back with more than I went with. While we were there we purchased a soft "large" Highlander case that straps to the luggage racks on top and it didn't seem to slow me down one bit. Two nights on the way back we simply slept at a rest area and headed out again at sunlight. We were so loaded we couldn't recline much but we were comfortable. Any one that has driven from the East to Western Colorado knows you have to go over the Great Divide. And we had no problems what so ever. I watched the temp gauge. Stable just under half way. So I learned that spot is the normal. Which was factually under 200 degrees. When it was chilly out. The needle dropped slightly. Going over the mountains. I was able to set the Cruise and go with the flow. If I needed to slow. I used the minus on that and decreased my speed. And the same with increasing speeds. When it was relevant to be in a lower gear, I used the Auto Stick. In which it would seem to me that 3rd and 4th actually have two gears each. Plainly apparent as I could hear the differences in the motor and see it in the tach. I didn't push it too hard and I ran under 3000 RPM going over the mountains. And when I was on the flat lands the RPM stayed just above 2000. So the difference between this Journey and my old Cobalt are minimal with regard to that. As I, last year. Made the same trip in the Cobalt. I got 29 miles to the gallon for most of the trip and with the air on, going over the mountains. Got an average of 26 mpg. I am so happy with this vehicle. But it's so new you say. How do you know you'll still love it in 5 years, you say. Simple. I'm good on vehicles and know nothing about any other vehicles but GM for a lifetime. And I have become a Dodge fan now. As for my needs now. This just may be the last vehicle I ever own. If it were going to have issues. Something would have happened. Cars have always seemed to talk to me and this one shows me I'm going to be ok. Personal opinion on maintenance. When we got back from Colorado. My mileage was slightly over 4000. The book says to have the oil changed at 6000. And that's bonkers. For a lifetime I have changed the oil in whatever, every 3000 miles or 3 months, depending on garage kept or not. And I just had the oil changed at a Dealership and they put on the sticker that I should be back for an oil change in 3000 miles. You have to have common sense on what you need a vehicle to do for you're lifestyle. And as with any large ticket item. You've got to respect it. In which this one I respect. Everyone had a great trip and we were very comfortable. The climate control. eg fan, air conditioner. The different vents on top and the separate controls work great. My guy in the front passenger seat could be cooler. And my mother in the second row could be warmer. And the dog had air on him too. There are 4 ceiling vents. Common sense would tell you. Close the one next to mom while mom has her's open. And I shut one of the vents off back where the dog was and kept the one over the dog open. On bi-level. The air ran more efficiently that way. And my mom could change her's if she choose to or I could control them all. I'm really happy I found this vehicle. It doesn't hurt me. And I actually drove it off the lot with it being worth more than I owe. I love the way it drives. I love everything about it. And as with most vehicles. Between the drivers side window and the windshield there is a blind spot. Requiring one to lean forward on left curves. The molded bump that helps the glove box light shut off when you shut the glove box, is not tall enough. But there's some little felt circle's back in the jack compartment that I've found that I stuck on that bump and now the light goes off. Those are the only negative's I've found. I'm really happy that we have Kelly Blue Book. As they help you have your ducks in a row. And that helps you approach the salesperson with the attitude they dish to you, usually. Beyond my expectations. Thank you !"

Worst Vehicle I Have Owned

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"I bought my Journey in May 2008 and have had it in the shop several times since then. I had a horrible groaning noise when I turned the wheel in which the service man told me that, that is normal with new vehicles, WHAT!!! Then 5 months later I get a call that there has been a recall for something to do with the power steering. I have already had to have my brakes done and got another excuse and now I have to take it in for a recall involving the braking system, HMMM!! Now I am having other issues also and my vehicle is only 6 months old."

Can't stand this Vehicle

By on Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "to many to mention."

"I have had nothing but problems since the Journey was 2 years old. Most problems are not covered by warranty and I will never own another Dodge. Rotors and Brakes replaced 3 times. Parts for this Vehicle are so expensive no matter what it is."

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

"I own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD that has been nothing less than miraculous. I heard a lot of horror stories about the Journey but I got a price I couldn't pass up. The most "unreliable"vehicle now is approaching 100000 miles without any signs of stopping. I have had ZERO problems with it including the brakes. The 3.5 still runs like new and never uses a drop of oil. The A/C still blows Ice Cold and there is absolutely no squeeks or rattles to be heard. The AWD system is excellent, the week I bought it I drove through a nasty blizzard; when traffic came to a standstill, nobody could make it up a very steep hill. I attempted to climb the hill and the Journey kept digging and I was one of four cars to make it to the top (A Subaru, Grand Cherokee, and a Pacifica.) I average 22 mpg which I find acceptable. My new job will require me to do even more driving (60000 a year) and I will probably be buying a new car. The Journey is staying with me as well, I plan on keeping it until it dies. I will be buying a new Durango within the next 6 months. I've had very good luck with Chrysler products and they have won a customer for life."

Great car for price

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "Space and a people mover"

Cons: "A little underpowered"

"I own a base model with a 4 cylinder. Great Mileage Mixed driving highway rural and some city. Car still looks like new except for recall on breaks and key fob all I had to do is put a set of tires on this vehicle and a rock pierced the radiator. Just had a trans service done as recommened and the car runs like it did the first day. 3,000 mile oil changes and two gas treatments. This car has a lot of space and can handle 4 300 pund adults with ease. I do travel ball with my daughter, Ohio, Penn,Jersey, Kentucky- never missed a beat."

What a LEMON

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "decent mpg, nice looking vehicle"

Cons: "bad brakes, misfiring cylinders, bad customer serv"

"BRAKE ISSUES and ENGINE PROBLEMS. Bought this vehicle brand new 19 months ago. It has been in the shop more than not. Chrysler’s not willing to back their product. After about a week of ownership received letter from Chrysler there was a known brake defect and they would warranty them with deductibles up to 36k miles vs 12k. At 7445 miles I had brake issues. Dealership fixed no charge. At 19653 had second brake job. At 24k more brake issue, rotor and pads replaced on front and back, $50 deductable. At 28000 miles 3rd brake job all 4 wheels, calibers hang up $100 deductable. I had the vehicle in 9x for brakes. Also engine misfire. Now there is a lifter noise. Contacted Chrysler asked for assistance. Asked to have replaced under LEMON LAW. They said wasn't a lemon, would not waive deductible for brakes. The moldings around the front doors have been replaced 3x and the overhead consol was also replaced 3x. Had a friend who bought the same vehicle one week after me. She traded hers off within the first sixt months due to the same engine problems I experienced. Reviewed various websites and found SEVERAL reviews with the same issues. Chrysler delivered a very bad product with the 2010 Journey. NOT HAPPY LOOSING MONEY, between the down payment and current trade in value, I am loosing $6000 but to put new brakes on every 7 to 13000, I will go broke. Saying good bye to Chrysler and hello to GM."

Get the bugs out.

By on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"My 09 Journey STX is 10 months on the road has 29000 miles and has been in the shop 6 times so far. The vehicle has never broken down on me but there has been many issues that are annoying and are not acceptable. Most recent was that with in 25K miles the brake pads have worn down and the pads worn uneven and even had scorn the rotter from what the service manager told me "Too Much Metal in the pads." and of course they didn't warrant it because it was a wear item. Pads never made it to the indicators but damaged rotter so expensive fix at my cost. Yea thats High Quality Mopar Parts. The AC makes a loud rattle that has yet to be fixed, there was a grinding noise from the steering and was found that the reservoir was too small after several trips in, There was a creek in the pillar passenger side that took 2 service shop attempts and one full day the body shop to locate the fix. In the process they damaged the headliner and scratched up several places on door panels and other plastics. So back to the shop for a new headliner when delivered. Door hinges tend to start to make a spring sprung sound they fix with loading up on grease. Sunroof makes loud rub noise when opening in vent position. Last thing I can think of is that the alarm has gone off 2 times and the only way to turn if off is use the pull out key to unlock the door because the fob won't respond. The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate so guess I will have to live with this. Okay so the good about the vehicle is that it does have a good amount of power with the V6 but it averages around 18 to 21 mpg on a regular basis. One of the main features and reasons for the purchase was the towing. The 3500 lbs tow is a bit much for the car on speeds of 45 mph or more but around town it does okay. The gearing for 1st 2nd and 3rd are way too close together so shifting with manual mode you just bump through all three gears within 20 mph. It is a fairly comfortable ride and roomy car. The AC works very well and with the rear ac option the car cools down fairly quick. Don't count on the dash drink holder to cool your drinks as it heats up when car is off and runs off the ac so you get a slightly cooler than room temp drink. The under floor mats drink holders don't have drain holes so you have to be careful not to get carpet wet when emptying. Good amount of storage room through out. The interior lighting is fair and attractive. Traction is good and the car stops fast and hard when needed. This was very impressive to me when I had to nail them once because a kid road his bike right out in front of me. The third row seating is cramped and when you sit the seat up there isn't but 12 inches of cargo room which won't even hold most coolers or items for the trip. Overall, the vehicle has many good options and has been reliable to get from point A to B but I have found that the quality isn't what I expected or as good as the Nissans I always had in the past. Also one MAIN POINT to get across is, within 6 months and 18K miles I went to trade due to the unsatisfied towing I needed and found that I had already lost 11K in depreciation. Now in less than a year that has increased to about 15K..... That's a 65% loss in less than 10 months. I hope this helped in your decision. It would have if I had know before I bought."

Almost a 10! NOT ONE RECALL! No 4 Cyl here !

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Get the 6Cyl for speed when U need it! I did! :)"

Cons: "Nothing major, just a few improvements needed!"

"Pros: The seats are quite comfortable for long trips, beyond comparison! No 'tin can' feeling on the road. The outer color of 'storm gray' reduces all glare in hot terrain. The size of the moon/sun roof is surprisingly large and controls are quiet. The tire traction and front-end suspension do their jobs very, very well, for a real smooth ride. The backup camera is a nice feature. The on screen hands-free calling and sound system controls are safe and handy while driving. The options for door locks and so much more adds value. The interior leather is high quality and stands up to 'people' quite nicely. The added carpet overlays are great preservers. The factory tires are much better quality than I expected. I love how the 'vehicle info' gives so much detailed information on the engine. I know what is going on for a change! Engine hours is a great reality check too. The Sirius XM is for FREE, year one!(It should be for two years on a new car)! I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, but this one is certainly the most versatile I have had. I like to buy things that take a truck, but I don't really need one 95% of the time with this vehicle. I'm still finding things out about my car. It is definitely equipped with some great features! Cons: The side view mirrors control needs updating with more range of motion for short people, so the rear mirror is not too far out of range to see properly. There needs to be larger/more AC vents. The driver seat needs to have truly separate positioning control patterns. (Why are all the visors so ridiculously little, and not just on this car?) The lumbar support is not 'as' adjustable as it should be. The carpeting on/in the cargo area is so thin, it is sadly very substandard. The speaker system could be much, much better for the price. Factory wipers are in need of higher quality and better functioning. The backup camera does not need to beep when vehicle has stopped. Dodge should provide new car buyers with a good leather conditioner for the seating,w/ gloves to maintain it. With the warming seats and steering wheel, the directions for maintaining these needs to be emphasized for warranty's sake. The windows could be tinted a bit darker, legally. If Dodge included a step ladder to reach the roof for cleaning, that would be awesome!"

Owned 2010 4yrs next month, bought a new crew

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "7 passanger, 6 cyl. lots of toys to play with."

"Our 2010 SXT was excellent. 7 passanger, 6 cyl. ran great. put 45K miles on it and traded it yesterday for a new 2013 journey crew, fully loaded. Plenty of room to take the grand kids on vacation. Rides better than the 3 previous Cadillacs we've owned. Would reccomend this to anyone looking for a great comfortable suv. Always get the 6 cyl. lots of power to spare. Lots of toys on the new one to make traveling fun."

Dependable and comfortable

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

"This is a Great car with good gas milage for its size and utility. It can carry up to 7 passangers, tow a trailer, have luggage on the roof rack and still get 23 miles per gallon on the highway and in comfort. You cant't beat that. With a standard load and a cold air intake I get 27-30 MPG on the highway. That is great for a V6 SUV. For the price it out does the competition. Cost $2000-5000 less then anything in its class as equipt"

Great car

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "AWD great in bad weather.Comfortable lots of power"

"Only problem has been bluetooth. Took 2 trys to get it fixed. Commute 130 miles a day now have 31000 miles on 2011. V6 engine,winter average mileage about 24. Summer average about 26. Lowest average milage for week driving was 21.2 Highest for week was 28.1. Great ride and handling love the nav and hands free. Been really great having to haul around grandkids."