• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 352 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.2/10
    7.1/10

Several problems adding up to major headaches.

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Good size, storage bins, comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Reliability and waiting for future issues."

"Purchased the vehicle new and found issues with the rear bumper cover. After several stops at the dealer, the fix was to epoxy the bumper in place. We were not happy to have a new car with a glued bumper. Since then we have had a new fuel pump, all four calipers have been replaced, three radio head units and two amplifiers. Just received a notification of an issue with the valves in the engine. This will only be repaired if it fails during the warranty. I had high hopes for this vehicle as it's our first Dodge. It's comfortable on long trips and is a good alternative to a mini van. I would avoid purchasing this vehicle."

Love my R/T

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "great power in the Penastar V6"

Cons: "Given its a Dodge, i'm worried about reliability"

"This car has been great so far, we avoided the underwhelming Honda CRV and couldn't be happier with our choice."

Best family touring car with lots of room for dog

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "$ 17500.00 lots of storage good family car"

Cons: "It has cup holders / cooling compartment for sodas"

"bought it for long distance driving , but seldom drove it so it sat in the drive way for about 4 years hence total milage on the vehicle is 7232 miles , drives better then my 1999 Cadillac Seville and gets very good miles per gallon . can't afford to keep it so I am trying to sell it or have some one assume the payments if they qualify"

Good value for the buck

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pros: "Great for long road trips"

"We have had this car since 2011 ...its first road trip was to Alaska on a 4 week road trip and as you know many hours spent in the seats,This car handles very well and is super comfortable.The functions in the car are easy to control which makes the car safer to drive with less distractions trying to use controls like DVD/CD/TEMP/CRUISE/RADIO Very happy with this car"

roomy and smooth driving.

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

"good car, I like the heated seats, the third row seating and the sound system."

too expencive to repair

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Very nice riding car"

Cons: "too expensive to repair"

"I've owned car since 2010 and I've replaced 5 air sensor valve stems at way to much money. Also, have had a lot of trouble with air conditioning, with having to replace almost the whole unit front and back. To me not a smart way to have the back unit. Way to much money to repair."

Good handling and fun to drive

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "For a wagon, fun to drive"

Cons: "Transmission - Mopar USED to have industries' best"

"I liked everything about this car from the beginning, with the possible exception of the 6-speed transmission; it has a tendency to shift lazily into first gear after a stop, causing the car to jump slightly like being tapped lightly from behind. It moves swiftly thru the gears and shifts smoothly. It gets aprx 19-22 mpg in town and 23-25 mpg on the road at 70 mph. In mts of Colorado, at 65mph, she can get 28 mph. II will definitely buy another Dodge product!"

Great Value for the Money

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Pros:Excellent Ride Quality, Storage Options"

Cons: "Cons:Third row seating cramped, city mpg subpar"

"Have had my 2014 Journey for a month and am very pleased so far. Auto critics have groused about the 2.4L engine, but it suits the needs of average drivers fine. Love all the storage options and the dashboard layout. Those who are looking for adult third row seating need to look elsewhere, however. and city mileage is not great ( I drive 65/35 highway however, so my mpg experience has been fine-25.0 combined)."

Worst car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "third row seat, blue tooth, sirrus radio"

Cons: "bad on tires, very little storage in rear"

"I have had nothing but issues with this car from day one. Had to have new tires replaced at 12,000 and 22,000 miles. Even though we are told the car is 100% aligned it constantly pulls to the left when you are driving. A lot of road noise as well and is a gas guzzler."

Get's the job done, but that's about it.

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Third Row, Compact, A/C and Heat, Acceleration"

Cons: "Automatic AWD, First Model Year (many issues)"

"Quick Background: I bought this car looking for a family size vehicle with a third row and all-wheel drive (for winter since I live in the northeast). This was my first family car purchase and my goal was to stay away from minivan's and get a third row on a budget. I bought this car used at 50,000 miles and paid WAY to much for it (first time buying from a car dealership). It has had multiple issues since purchased and as such I have had to replace all four rotors (they were warped), all four brake pads (burnt out), the coolant tank (it cracked), and a fuel-related pump. I have also had to replace the front ball-joints which is a known issue for basically all Chrysler-based cars so I can't exactly count that against this car specifically. I have also had multiple tire issues (flat's, slow leaks) but that's really Kumho's fault so I can't completely blame Dodge. What I didn't realize when I got this car is that it has "automatic" AWD. This means there is no way to manually turn on the AWD, basically rendering the AWD useless unless the car is stuck in a snowbank. My advice from this: stay away from ANY automatic AWD cars, make sure you can manually turn it on before purchasing. I also didn't realize this was the first year Dodge introduced the Journey model. My advice from this: stay away from cars in their first (maybe even second) model year. Now that that's out of the way here's some things I liked about this car. Having a third row is really handy if you happen to have a third child (it just so happened to me). Because of child car seats, we actually have one seat up in the third row and the other down so we can load one child in through the trunk. It's not much fun, but it works. There's a good amount of storage even though it is a compact SUV. Speaking of which, being fairly compact is also handy when dealing with parking and such. Basically this car is good at getting my family from point A to point B but past that it's not much to get excited about."

LOVE this car.

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "bearly any cargo space with using 3rd row seating"

"I love this car. I have owned a used 2009 and traded in for a new 2013. I am short and the car fits me perfectly. I am not a mini van kind of mom but do wish I had more cargo space when back row is being used. Thats the only reason why I regret not buying a caravan. My 2009 had an electrical plug but not my 2013, which would have be nice."

Excellent Vehicle for Road Trips.

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Excellent Handling and Engine Power"

"This vehicle went beyond our expectations, we took a road trip this summer from Texas to Illinois back down to Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and back to Texas. We covered 11 states and drove about 3500 miles. We also went from 0 Feet above see level to above 6500 above sea level. In regards to performance we did no have an issue, it managed to keep a smooth and fast ride up hill and lots of power going up the Smokey Mountains. It does have lots of power and allows you to get out of a Jam when you need to punch the gas. We have 2 children a 10 year old and a 6 year old and they managed to have enough space to carry all their gear in the back seat. The cargo bins in front of the rear seats came in handy to keep all DVD movies and our kids gear , we also used one of them as a cooler and managed to keep all of their snacks handy. Cargo area was big enough to carry 8 pieces of luggage and all souvenirs accumulated on our 2 week vacation. Nice Journey Dodge!"

Almost a 10! NOT ONE RECALL! No 4 Cyl here !

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Get the 6Cyl for speed when U need it! I did! :)"

Cons: "Nothing major, just a few improvements needed!"

"Pros: The seats are quite comfortable for long trips, beyond comparison! No 'tin can' feeling on the road. The outer color of 'storm gray' reduces all glare in hot terrain. The size of the moon/sun roof is surprisingly large and controls are quiet. The tire traction and front-end suspension do their jobs very, very well, for a real smooth ride. The backup camera is a nice feature. The on screen hands-free calling and sound system controls are safe and handy while driving. The options for door locks and so much more adds value. The interior leather is high quality and stands up to 'people' quite nicely. The added carpet overlays are great preservers. The factory tires are much better quality than I expected. I love how the 'vehicle info' gives so much detailed information on the engine. I know what is going on for a change! Engine hours is a great reality check too. The Sirius XM is for FREE, year one!(It should be for two years on a new car)! I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, but this one is certainly the most versatile I have had. I like to buy things that take a truck, but I don't really need one 95% of the time with this vehicle. I'm still finding things out about my car. It is definitely equipped with some great features! Cons: The side view mirrors control needs updating with more range of motion for short people, so the rear mirror is not too far out of range to see properly. There needs to be larger/more AC vents. The driver seat needs to have truly separate positioning control patterns. (Why are all the visors so ridiculously little, and not just on this car?) The lumbar support is not 'as' adjustable as it should be. The carpeting on/in the cargo area is so thin, it is sadly very substandard. The speaker system could be much, much better for the price. Factory wipers are in need of higher quality and better functioning. The backup camera does not need to beep when vehicle has stopped. Dodge should provide new car buyers with a good leather conditioner for the seating,w/ gloves to maintain it. With the warming seats and steering wheel, the directions for maintaining these needs to be emphasized for warranty's sake. The windows could be tinted a bit darker, legally. If Dodge included a step ladder to reach the roof for cleaning, that would be awesome!"

great vehicle!

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "a very nice ride"

"This car is in great shape, a complete detail would make it an excellent car. It has the 3rd seating and heat and a/c for all 3 rows of seating. It has the DVD capability but does not have the video monitors. It is low mileage and one owner with a clean title in hand. I love the vehicle but am usually the only one in it, it would be a great family car!"

chryslers best kept secret

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "love the versitilaty of interior"

Cons: "poor dash layout"

"great car fun to drive and decent mpg"

Love the car. Hate the transmission.

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "Nice car. Great on flat terrain."

Cons: "Transmission needs better engineering."

"Live in Michigan. Drove to the Jersey shore through the Pa. hill country. Cruse control would drop 3 miles per hour climbing hills until a jarring down shift kicked in, then would go back to where it was set. This transmission is poorly engineered. I have never owned a car that had a worse transmission. All that being said, the rest of the car is great. By the way, it is the V6 engine with gobs of power."

Awesome vehicle for Lg family and taking road trip

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "handles great on highway comfortable ride ,video"

"awesome"

could use more room behind third seat

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "good highway milage"

Cons: "average local milage, no entrance /exit handles on"

"works great for us and our 4 grandchildren but has little storage space behind 3rd row seating"

Best SUV I have ever driven!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Best bang for the buck under 30K."

Cons: "Third row a litytle small."

"After my last 2 vehicles were Jeep SUV's, I decided to go with the 2014 Dodge Journey Crossroad Edition which is loaded with options. We love this thing! Have yet to find any negatives."

Love it!

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "the gadgets"

Cons: "if you have a car seat, blocks rear view"

"I've only had it for a couple days. My first new car and I love it! Honestly, my one and only main complaint is the new car smell! It's giving me a headache. I drove a 2004 Taurus that I traded in, on a serious note, with a car seat in the backseat, it blocks my view. Literally the whole middle of the rear view. I have the red with black interior. Love it!"

Very reliable transportation. New Tires.

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price. Excellent transportation."

Cons: "No Keyless Entry. No autopilot."

"This is a typical reliable car with low mileage driven by a senior."

Great car. Love the ride and the view.

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

"Good gas mileage, lots of room, versatile as seat all fold down. Great color, red with black interior. New trailer hitch with brakes installed and ready to go."

Great vehicle and very reliable

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "Very Good Vehicle"

Cons: "fuel economy about 23 hwy wish it were better but"

"Very Good Vehicle have had it a year and No Problems at all !!!!!!"

Went from the Dakota to the Journey and love it

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Driving performance, room/storage, comfort"

Cons: "color selection, no floor mats"

"SE model... I enjoy the blue-tooth, radio-controls on the steering wheel, the seat comfort, extra storage, and the horse-power (V6). It has as much length for hauling as my Dakota did but drives more like a car with tremendous better gas mileage."

Love this Journey so far...6 months.

By on Sunday, June 01, 2014

"I have the 2014 SXT Black Top Edition in all Black. I think it is super sharp and have had no trouble with it at all."