2009 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 366 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.1/10

Good vehicle for a young family or older couple

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I want this car

Pros: "good gas economy"

Cons: "hard to get into back seat and little leg room"

"The front seats are comfortable, the second row is a bit less, and the third row has little leg room and is very difficult to get in and out of. The driving ability going forward is great but to back up and to see out the sides to back up has a lot of blind spots. The car does not have a lot of pick up when passing other vehicles and the vehicle can get out of control if sudden maneuvers are made from side to side."

Excellent car.

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Fantastic color

"I have not had to spend a cent on this car. All of the maintenance was covered."

Fantastic color

Keep on making them

By on Monday, January 19, 2015

Pros: "details, driving, towing"

Cons: "no automatic tail gate lift"

"Vehicle is excellent for long trips. Smooth driving. Plenty of room for passengers and trunk space. Navigation system is the best. Use it for finding gas and meals when traveling in unfamiliar areas. Head restraints are my only complaint. They are made in such a way you will need 2 pillows to be able to sleep or that head rest will irritate you."

Terrible, cheap and overpriced

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "Absolutely none"

Cons: "Everything."

"Bought this car without researching it enough, resale value is abysmal. Everything in the interior is cheaply made, 3 months into owning it one of the seats plastic covers over the track broke off, bumpers have broken tabs and keep popping out w/o them having been hit before. Rubber seals in the wheel wells and on the doors were coming out after 1 year. The engine is sluggish and chugs gas for a 4 cylinder. Carpet is poorly made and doesnt clean up well even with a basic bottle being spilled. The vehicle I received had been damaged by the porter and the dealership "repaired" the damage and didnt compensate me for time, or inconvenience. Do not buy a journey, maybe the duarango holds it value, but the journey is plastic junk."

Great SUV

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

"If you're looking for an affordable SUV then look no further. Great gas mileage. Very comfortable ride, even if you are sitting in the back seats. Handles great even in the snow. Plenty of room for luggage if you're traveling, or groceries if you are shopping."

DO NOT buy a Dodge Journey!!!!!!!

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Pros: "none"

Cons: "not enuff words available."

"NEVER b4 have I ever had such problems with a car...and I am 65 years old and have had plenty of cars. Less than 2 years old with only 7500 miles on it, and we are afraid to take out-of-town trips with it. As soon as it gets out of the shop for the latest problems it is having, we are trading it in for a Honda. Take the loss. Don't believe me....google problems with Dodge Journey and read the horror stories about this car! I will NEVER buy a Chrysler product again."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Price, user friendly, motor"

Cons: "Wish it came standard with GPS navigation"

"I have driven this vehicle for 2 round trips. Each round trip was 1700 miles. The cloth seats are very comfortable. Plenty of space for a child, three dogs, gifts, and inclement weather survival items in the storage compartments. We just bought another one because we liked the first one so much. First one is SXT FWD and the second is SXT AWD. The FWD accelerates very fast, climbs hills easy, really quiet ride, and handles like a nimble car. The AWD doesnt accelerate as quickly (nature of AWD), extermely quiet and comfortable ride, and definately feel in grabbing the road (traction not an issue). The AWD feels/handles like my wide and heavy muscle car, except it obvously doesnt accelerate as quickly."

I like it but liked my blazer more

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "nice smooth ride"

Cons: "terrible gas mileage and no cigarette package"

"The transmission had to be replaced twice. All of the electrical wiring had to be replaced. And even still my windows do not go up and down properly when it is cold. I love the ability to get up to highway speeds quickly, and how smoothly it runs at those speeds. I love the third row seating and all of the storage space and spaces it has."

about 1500 miles-good for when you get older

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "heated seating/steering wheel, and assist handles."

"i've been driving lease vehicles for over 30+ years constantly. this was the car for my wife and I to drive during retirement. we had selected the 6 cylinder engine with the added maintenance agreements as well. along with what we needed for creature comforts-this car is well worth the investment. we have had this car for over a half year-and it works very well for our needs. hope that this helps."

Love this SUV

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

Pros: "System tells you when you need maintenance."

Cons: "A little on the expensive side!"

"I can't imagine anyone not liking this vehicle. It has all the bells and whistles. Keyless start and entry, backup camera, u-connect. I love this vehicle. The interior fabric is very nice, the u-connect system is fairly easy to use(regardless of what other people say). It just takes some exploring to figure everything out. I have only had one problem with it in almost 4 years (the battery died right after we got it). Handles very well in winter conditions."

My Best Vehicle Ever

By on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, lots of storage, quiet"

Cons: "big pillars, donut spare tire"

King of the Road

"I owned a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT and I was very satisfied with that one so I went with a 2012 Journey Crew a couple of years ago. I have had only one problem and a warning light came on but I could still drive it as normally so I took it to the dealer who, under warranty, installed a new oil pump. It was not a common problem. I put on new brake shoes a couple of months ago at the dealer's suggestion. Other than those two items, my Journey has been completely free of problems. It drives smooth and powerful. I can pass on the road when I want to and I have driven it satisfactory in all kinds of weather. I use it sometimes to drive a 1500 lb. small RV trailer with no problems but I drive it a bit slower around 55-60 mph. My wife loves driving the Journey as well. It is relatively easy on gas in my opinion (26-28 mpg Canadian)."

King of the Road

great value

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"I was really surprised with how much I got for the price. I wish that I would have gotten a 6 cylinder though. I feel like the 6 cyl. would be easier getting up hills. I get great mpg though. On road trips I have gotten up to 29 mpg which is amazing for an SUV."

Worst vehicle ever!!!

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "NONE"

Cons: "Everything"

"Do not buy!!!! Reliability... there is none, the car will not start for no good reason periodically. Read the '09 blog for Dodge Journey and found many, many people have had the same problem with no fix. The seats stain with a drop of water and the brakes warped within weeks of buying the car. Please, if you do nont want to get stranded, don't buy this car. Read the reviews!!!!"

If you want to ride, go on a "JOURNEY" with Dodge!

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "Journey has everything the iinfinity/escalade has"

Cons: "N/A"

"Great on gas (45.00), oil change contract is great; Interior like new; Nitro filled tires keep air pressure accurately ; Alloy wheels; Tons of compartment room including floor board & doors; 3 row seating; Rear/front a/c; Clean/well kept; Dodge dealership window visors & bug guard; White ivory/stone interior; Just a great vehicle with lots of room when you don't want the price of a large SUV! Seats lay all way back & 2 rows of rear seats fold down for storage. Love the Journey. Now I've talked myself out of trading it!"

Several problems adding up to major headaches.

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Good size, storage bins, comfortable to drive"

Cons: "Reliability and waiting for future issues."

"Purchased the vehicle new and found issues with the rear bumper cover. After several stops at the dealer, the fix was to epoxy the bumper in place. We were not happy to have a new car with a glued bumper. Since then we have had a new fuel pump, all four calipers have been replaced, three radio head units and two amplifiers. Just received a notification of an issue with the valves in the engine. This will only be repaired if it fails during the warranty. I had high hopes for this vehicle as it's our first Dodge. It's comfortable on long trips and is a good alternative to a mini van. I would avoid purchasing this vehicle."

Love my R/T

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "great power in the Penastar V6"

Cons: "Given its a Dodge, i'm worried about reliability"

"This car has been great so far, we avoided the underwhelming Honda CRV and couldn't be happier with our choice."

Best family touring car with lots of room for dog

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "$ 17500.00 lots of storage good family car"

Cons: "It has cup holders / cooling compartment for sodas"

"bought it for long distance driving , but seldom drove it so it sat in the drive way for about 4 years hence total milage on the vehicle is 7232 miles , drives better then my 1999 Cadillac Seville and gets very good miles per gallon . can't afford to keep it so I am trying to sell it or have some one assume the payments if they qualify"

Good value for the buck

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pros: "Great for long road trips"

"We have had this car since 2011 ...its first road trip was to Alaska on a 4 week road trip and as you know many hours spent in the seats,This car handles very well and is super comfortable.The functions in the car are easy to control which makes the car safer to drive with less distractions trying to use controls like DVD/CD/TEMP/CRUISE/RADIO Very happy with this car"

roomy and smooth driving.

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

"good car, I like the heated seats, the third row seating and the sound system."

too expencive to repair

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Very nice riding car"

Cons: "too expensive to repair"

"I've owned car since 2010 and I've replaced 5 air sensor valve stems at way to much money. Also, have had a lot of trouble with air conditioning, with having to replace almost the whole unit front and back. To me not a smart way to have the back unit. Way to much money to repair."

Good handling and fun to drive

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "For a wagon, fun to drive"

Cons: "Transmission - Mopar USED to have industries' best"

"I liked everything about this car from the beginning, with the possible exception of the 6-speed transmission; it has a tendency to shift lazily into first gear after a stop, causing the car to jump slightly like being tapped lightly from behind. It moves swiftly thru the gears and shifts smoothly. It gets aprx 19-22 mpg in town and 23-25 mpg on the road at 70 mph. In mts of Colorado, at 65mph, she can get 28 mph. II will definitely buy another Dodge product!"

Great Value for the Money

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Pros:Excellent Ride Quality, Storage Options"

Cons: "Cons:Third row seating cramped, city mpg subpar"

"Have had my 2014 Journey for a month and am very pleased so far. Auto critics have groused about the 2.4L engine, but it suits the needs of average drivers fine. Love all the storage options and the dashboard layout. Those who are looking for adult third row seating need to look elsewhere, however. and city mileage is not great ( I drive 65/35 highway however, so my mpg experience has been fine-25.0 combined)."

Worst car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "third row seat, blue tooth, sirrus radio"

Cons: "bad on tires, very little storage in rear"

"I have had nothing but issues with this car from day one. Had to have new tires replaced at 12,000 and 22,000 miles. Even though we are told the car is 100% aligned it constantly pulls to the left when you are driving. A lot of road noise as well and is a gas guzzler."

Get's the job done, but that's about it.

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Third Row, Compact, A/C and Heat, Acceleration"

Cons: "Automatic AWD, First Model Year (many issues)"

"Quick Background: I bought this car looking for a family size vehicle with a third row and all-wheel drive (for winter since I live in the northeast). This was my first family car purchase and my goal was to stay away from minivan's and get a third row on a budget. I bought this car used at 50,000 miles and paid WAY to much for it (first time buying from a car dealership). It has had multiple issues since purchased and as such I have had to replace all four rotors (they were warped), all four brake pads (burnt out), the coolant tank (it cracked), and a fuel-related pump. I have also had to replace the front ball-joints which is a known issue for basically all Chrysler-based cars so I can't exactly count that against this car specifically. I have also had multiple tire issues (flat's, slow leaks) but that's really Kumho's fault so I can't completely blame Dodge. What I didn't realize when I got this car is that it has "automatic" AWD. This means there is no way to manually turn on the AWD, basically rendering the AWD useless unless the car is stuck in a snowbank. My advice from this: stay away from ANY automatic AWD cars, make sure you can manually turn it on before purchasing. I also didn't realize this was the first year Dodge introduced the Journey model. My advice from this: stay away from cars in their first (maybe even second) model year. Now that that's out of the way here's some things I liked about this car. Having a third row is really handy if you happen to have a third child (it just so happened to me). Because of child car seats, we actually have one seat up in the third row and the other down so we can load one child in through the trunk. It's not much fun, but it works. There's a good amount of storage even though it is a compact SUV. Speaking of which, being fairly compact is also handy when dealing with parking and such. Basically this car is good at getting my family from point A to point B but past that it's not much to get excited about."

LOVE this car.

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "bearly any cargo space with using 3rd row seating"

"I love this car. I have owned a used 2009 and traded in for a new 2013. I am short and the car fits me perfectly. I am not a mini van kind of mom but do wish I had more cargo space when back row is being used. Thats the only reason why I regret not buying a caravan. My 2009 had an electrical plug but not my 2013, which would have be nice."