2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

6.9

Based on 279 Ratings for the 2008 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10

These vans EAT BRAKES! Comfortable enough

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable ride, nice interior amenities"

Cons: "Premature brake wear, suspension noises"

"Over the past couple years we have purchased 7 Grand Caravans (2011-2014 models) for our elder transportation business. We also have bought a few Toyota Siennas. The Grand Caravans are adequate; they're comfortable, smooth driving for the most part, and user friendly. CON: We have been VERY DISAPPOINTED in the brake quality on these vans. I used to work for a Dodge dealer as a tech in the 90s, and we had consistent problems with Caravan brakes. Well, it seems nothing has changed in that department; in fact, I think they're worse now! We're seeing stuck calipers (leading to brake pad and rotor destruction) at 20K- 25K miles intervals on several of the vans. And, we're talking front AND rear brakes! And no, they don't salt the roads in our community and we don't drive them hard. Our local shop says they're seeing this all the time on late model GCs. I wrote to Chrysler and got the usual "We're sorry for your inconvenience but brakes are a wear item, blah, blah, blah. We won't be offering any assistance. End of story." Meanwhile, our Siennas go at least 50K miles (often 70K) before they need brakes. So, long story short, if you can do your own brake jobs (not a hard job for most home mechanics) or you can live with paying a shop $300 - $400 every 25K miles to do the job, then the Grand Caravan is not a bad ride."

best vehicle we have ever owned. Won't by anything

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "easiest vehicle ever to drive,"

Cons: "gas mileage is soso"

"We have owned the Dodge Grand Caravan since 2005. Not only is it roomy to travel in with 2 big dogs and a cat, the ride is very comfortable. My husband falls asleep all the time because it is that comfortable. The Grand Caravan is the easiest vehicle I have ever driven. I would recommend the Dodge Grand Caravan in a heart beat."

Servers.....

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Great Value, Very Comfortable"

Cons: "Spare tire hard to get to."

"Servers the purpose it was designed for very, very well. I've had this vehicle for 5 years and have had zero work done on it other than the routine maintenance. Tires and Battery has been replaced and tires of course. Visibility it excellent and very comfortable on the highway and in the city. With the seats down, you can haul just about anything you can haul in a pickup. Also have pulled a very small trailer without any extra effort. While this is an old design, it continues to fulfill expectations."

front seats more comfortable than Odyssey/Sienna

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Cons: "car starts making lots of noises around 75,000"

"I've been driving Caravans since 1984, starting with 4-speed manual trans on floor (that's right). I take them into deep snow with 4 snow tires to top of VT, great cars; stow'n go seats are very good, drop the middle seats and kids sleep on the floor, plenty of leg room. Have had good luck with my vehicles despite complaints by others. Could be because I take good care of them and don't beat them. Front seats are designed to cup your body like a baseball glove vs. arched lower-back seats in Odyssey and Sienna. For long drives this makes a huge difference. No, I don't work for Dodge or Fiat, just a loyal customer going back to 1970's slant six engines in Dodge vans and Darts"

Drives nice

By on Saturday, March 07, 2015

Pros: "inside only has 1 small (tiny) hole in drver's sea"

Cons: "CV joints clicking barely, right rotor not the bes"

"Needs CV Joints they're clicking real quietly right now. Back passenger tail-light still works at least, but the light cover is glued, but at least still works. Small (tiny) dent on the right of the rear light.....I mean tiny."

Comfortable, reliable vehicle.

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "about 18 to 19 mpg in everyday driving"

Cons: "no heat vent to warm up feet area"

"Only bought it to carry my handicapped dad around, but do really like it. Comfortable, drives good and has been very dependable with no mechanical problems."

Excellent minivan

By on Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pros: "Great combination of sports car and dump truck"

Cons: "Poor cruise control speed maintenance on hills"

"Not eye catching; blends in with the crowd. Excellent acceleration, braking and handling. Cruise control loses 5 mph on highway hills (most annoying feature of vehicle). Interior is spacious, comfortable and well laid out. Lots of space for cargo and passengers. I'll keep this until one of us dies (me or the van)."

Love my van. Alas! Someone rear ended me!

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"Drives great! The only negative I have is we had to add blue tooth. It was not stock."

cheap but adequate...mostly

By on Friday, February 06, 2015

Pros: "Good mileage, good acceleration, good traveling ca"

Cons: "brakes, supsension noise, flaky tranmisson."

"Had to replace brake rotors.....suspension noise in rear cannot be found nor solved. Car drives ok, good mileage..but seems cheap...lousy resale. Previously had a 98 Gr Caravan. Great vehicle. Bought an 05 and hated it...traded it with 2000 miles...for a 2008...had transmission issues, lousy rear suspension. Traded that for the 2011...transmission is flaky. Most likely will NOT buy another. EXCEPT--they are (minivans) the most sensible vehicle on the market and can't find an equal for the price. A true conundrum.."

Adequate Transport

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "cheap, convenient stow and go seats"

Cons: "it's just a mini van"

"Adequate transportation for a family of six and their stuff. Our SXT has some convenient features but lacks a lot of little things that would make it a really nice vehicle. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately they don't hold their value very well so unless you pay cash or put a LOT down you'll be upside down in your loan really fast."

best van ever stow/go great family veh low mileag

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

"color/silver carport kept serviced regularly Email for pictures"

2012 Grand Caravan- A great all around vehicle.

By on Thursday, January 22, 2015

"I have owned 3 Dodge Caravans thus far and they have been great vehicles. I purchased this one used in 2013. It only had 18K miles at the time and was spotless. Looked like it had just driven out of the showroom. It is great for a lot of things. Plenty of room to haul anything you want with the stow n Go seats that fold into the floor. Holds up to 7 passengers for road trips. Have driven it on a 2000 mile round trip with no issues-handled good and got up to 27mpg highway. I plan on keeping this van for a long time."

Great Van, love it!

By on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Pros: "most comfy ride"

Cons: "no power lift gate, but will have on the 2010"

"We have owned a 1998, 2004, 2000, and 2008 in that order. We have loved everyone. Most comfortable ride of any mini-van I've ever ridden in. We drive a lot of miles. No major repairs, only routine maintenance on all. We drove our 1998 to 180K + miles before trading for the '04. We would have driven the '04 to it's death if my husband had not totaled it. The 2000 was a loaner from our body shop which we ended up purchasing and bought the '08 a year old with about 30,000 miles on it. Getting ready to purchase a 2010 with 44,000 miles. I can't imagine driving anything but a Caravan! Love, love, love!"

4 years of satisfaction hope to get 6

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"Driven Dodge Caravans since first 4-speed manual tranny in 1984. 2010 DGC has more comfortable seats than Odyssey or Siena. DGC seats are concave whereas other van seats bulge outward at low-back area. Their seats are not comfortable for long distances. I put 4 Blizzak snows on this and drive 6+ hours through snowstorms to top of Vermont with confidence due to front-wheel-drive and this vehicle's drive train. The Stow-N-Go seats are unmatched by other vans for convenience. Although the DGC engine and tranny are a little rough the other features compensate. No, I don't work for Fiat/Chrysler"

Love it!

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "So much fun to drive, comfortable, good looking"

Cons: "Resale value"

"Got this vehicle for the safety features and I love the way it drives. No one really gets car sick, even in the very back seats. I have taken it twice to Disneyland which means going through the grape vine. Was able to run A/C at temps of 98F. Second time we began over heating but it was 107F. The space inside is great and I can fold down seats to put my 150 Alaskan Malamute in back. Its comfy, mileage is great and the 3.6L 283 horse engine never leaves you looking for more."

Best vehicle I've had since my Pontiac Montana

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Reason: To trade up to newer model

Pros: "Best in the world for trips and "curb shopping"

Cons: "Need more and better designed cup holders"

"I have owned nothing but a voyager/caravan (with the exception of the Pontiac Montana) since 1986. Had some transmission problems with the earlier models, but I think that has been solved and haven't had any problems with the last three. I traded up from a 2012 to a 2014 Gr Caravan. I love the "store and go", and the auto sliding side doors and windows. The only reasons for my "8" rating are that it's a little under-power in mountain country; I hate the seat belt chafing on my neck (but I don't think I'm going to find any car/model that fixes that); and the lack of an ashtray. I know I shouldn't be smoking, but an actual built in ashtray would make it easier to avoid ash deposited everywhere. I also wish that automatic headlights was a standard feature."

Awesome vehicle, purchased it new

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, drives very nice in the city/highway"

Cons: "second row seats decline is minimal for kids"

"This vehicle came with everything except navigation, which I didn't need since I had a smart phone. Compartment in the floor, swivel seats, bucket seats front and second row, satellite TV (cartoons), Satellite Radio, MP3, Hard Drive to download music, multi channel CD player, Touch Screen panel in radio, Boston Acoustic Speakers, interior mood lights, sun roof, roof rack, allow wheels, fold and stow third row seats, leather seats, front and passenger seat warmers, system monitoring indicator, hands free rear lift gate (opens and closes), hands free, sliding side doors (opens and closes), anti theft system, wheel locks, tow package, V-6 engine (great gas mileage). Looks like a nice minivan on the outside, but once inside the luxury is better than most premium SUVs. If youre in need of a nice family vehicle, this is the one for you, she has been maintained in peek condition. Come see it and take it for a test drive."

Best minivan for your money.

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "Good value and 100,000 powertrain warrantee"

Cons: "SE model has no rear tinted glass"

"My 2012 Grand Caravan SE is vastly improved over older models. The 3.6 new engine has plenty of power, and great on gas for such a large vehicle. The interior is nice, and the seats are very supportive on long trips. Stow & go middle seats are an added convenience, but with the 3rd row seats down there is tons of space. The new 6 speed AT is great and has a manual option for more power and control. The ride is a bit firm, but when loaded can handle very well. I paid $21000 for this Se model, about the cost of many small under powered cars. I've averaged 17-19 mpg city, and 25-27 mpg on long highway trips fully loaded at 65-75 mph."

ok

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "lots of room to haul stuff"

Cons: "replacement parts are way to expensive"

"it was ok untill I had to replace a y hose and I could not buy just the hose you have to buy the hose and a pipe and you do not need the pipe it was so stupid. I need a reliable car and this is not it."

Good Car, Does the job.

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Good value, does the intended job."

Cons: "We listen to books on cd. It would be great if we"

"I have driven this car for 3 years for 45,000 miles. This is the second caravan that I have had and I am rather pleased with the performance an (knock on wood) reliability. The fold down seats are a real plus for me since we haul stuff more often than people. I don't understand the low ratings others have given this car. I think it is good value for the money."

Great room, gas milage, handling and visibility.

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Did not know that a auto with this size could get such good mileage (28 to 32) with speed limit speeds. The fold down seats are the best. Other reports say that it is not quite but with my ringing ears who knows. I really love all the features for the price and mileages. I don't see how a family can go wrong with this auto."

This baby does it all, yes it's a minivan but wow!

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pros: "Value, Cargo Space!"

Cons: "Its still a minivan."

"I personally was never going to EVER buy a minivan, because frankly they are about as boring as watching CSPAN at 2AM. Yes I have done that to put me to sleep! I rented this 2012 and then 2013 for 2 cross country trips and it turned me into a full convert. These things can do it ALL that SUV's can't with better MPG. Sure some of the styling of SUV's can be "cooler," but Dodge played it smart in 14 with the blackout package. That was the final straw for me to pull the trigger and buy. Love it!! You get R/T looks at an SE price. I absolutely love what they have done with the styling of the GC 30th Anny for 14. The blackout package was not merely "putting lipstick on a pig." It added the sense of, "yeah it's ok for a guy to drive this completely functional vehicle." Love the fact that I can have all the seats down in less than 5 mins and boom - cargo van. Then switch over just as fast to hauling the kiddos. The versatility of GC can't be beat. Disclaimer- I am partial to Dodge after having a 2001 Dakota for years and I personally would never buy a vehicle in which the worker wasn't treated fairly. I am 100% partial to American originated cars. I know these are made in Canada, but the real $ stays here, not vice versa like some imports that are merely "assembled" here. Never liked the look of the competitors imports anyway. My opinion, buy it, you'll love it."

Wonderful, carefree vehicle with room and comfort

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "economical, roomy, high off road, low maintenance"

Cons: "resale value low, too few cup holders,"

"We have purchased three grand caravans in succession (every 5-6 years) and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. We plan to buy a fourth soon."

Price i paid was ok for private sale

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "great price, lots of utility, great warranty."

Cons: "Reliability concerns"

"Vehicle had transmission work after noticing loud noise during shifting but this was covered under warranty as was the leaky intake manifold gasket. Has had repair for malfunctioning EVAP canister which cost 40 bucks. Van sat for 8 months before i purchased but price was right and frankly i did expect to put a little money into it because it sat so long. Rides well and is excellent family hauler. I would and am considering trading this van in for new one."

EVERYTHING you could ask for in a Family vehicle!

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Miles per gallon, comfort & conveniences, storage"

Cons: "???"

"From the moment we drove off the lot I have been spoiled rotten by this vehicle. Having little ones... I could never go back to anything else. Push button to open and close doors and cargo. Makes school pick up and drop offs a breeze. Unloading and loading babies is super simple. It drives and handles like a sports car. When I need it to move, it MOVES! :) And the gas mileage... AWESOME!!! We just averaged 27 mpg on our last tank which was a combination of travel and touring through our vacation town. We have gotten up to 29 mpg on a freeway trip which blows us away. You do have to drive it kindly to get that, but we have been in love with this vehicle. The kiddos love it too! And all of the stow and go storage space... don't even get me started. Our family of five just went on a week long trip. The luggage and gear that we took filled our front room. By the time daddy got it loaded in the van we all still fit in comfortably with everything tucked in neatly. The rear two rows of seats all fold in so simply so I have been able to switch from hauling a car full of kiddos to a van filled with furniture. It does it all. I LOVE THIS VAN!!!"